so last night i almost got hit head on by a car...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lokky

so last night i almost got hit head on by a car...

Post by Lokky »

...at the exact same spot where Luna got hit.

The road is two lanes in my direction (I was in the left one) and one lane in the oncoming direction, separated by a double yellow line. All of a sudden there is two cars coming my way instead of one as you'd expect.

Turns out some woman decided to pass by crossing the double yellow, completely uncaring as to my presence. My brain didn't actually register what was going on at first, surely a car coming my way must be in the incoming lane, not my own right?
Luckily she did not invade both lanes and I was able to swerve to my right at the last moment, if I had frozen up I would be lucky to be in a hospital right now.

I guess the universe really is out to get us! One thing is for sure, I am going to avoid the hell out of that road from now on (which sucks, its good riding and convenient, but yeah)
stASH

Post by stASH »

Glad you avoided that tragedy! Any chance you could divulge that location so other RVA riders can avoid it?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

crazy!!! Glad your o.k. though...
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Stash, it is on leigh street right in front of the bowtie (near the crossroad with boulevard).

I really wish I had my gopro running, could have gotten her license plate and landed her in a world of trouble.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

You absolutely should have! It's not the Universe out to get you guys, it's idiots and their lack of situational awareness. Grr! Makes me so mad to think of that!! :evil:

Very glad you are ok, good job on the reflexes!
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Perhaps a link to google maps would help out of towners know the situation better.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

spr0k3t wrote:Perhaps a link to google maps would help out of towners know the situation better.
Leigh and Myers- Myers is a tiny side street that crosses Leigh, right before the light at Boulevard.

Go to Google maps and type in "Bowtie Movieland Richmond VA", then look for those streets around it. I said this the other day on Facebook, but I'll say it again... it's the most benign intersection ever... unless Lokky or I are going through it. One day the ground is going to split open and a humongous land shark will devour one of us, vehicle and all. :shock:

EDIT: I figured out that G Maps has the end of Leigh St labeled as 'Moore' for some dumb reason... I took a screenshot of Google Earth, but it's apparently too big to upload and it's 3am so I feel WAAAY to lazy to try to figure out how to make it smaller...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Glad you were paying attention!!! You do have to wonder sometimes with some of the things drivers do...
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Okay, at this point even Ghandi would be advocating scooter-mounted bazookas...
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Find a new route to travel. Don't keep traveling the same way and expect a different response. I'm glad you think fast on your wheels!!!!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

that intersection is cursed!

We have one of those. It's a totally normal intersection by a coffee shop down the street. for some reason people keep getting hit there. 2 cars have killed pedestrians, and several cyclists have been injured. but, it's just a normal intersection....

Glad you're alright Lokky!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

These intersections arnt by chance near drinking establishments are they? Catch my drift?

Anyone here of genius level intelligence? I think some air bags installed all around our scoots is in order.Ok dreaming again.

PLEASE be ever so careful out there!!!

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Sounds like a good spot for a 'No Turns' sign.......there has to be other traffic incidents occuring there.

Rob
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Not to steal from your situation, but this actually happened to my brother two weeks ago in Grand Rapids. He was on his Yamaha XT 250 waiting at a light in a left hand turn lane, there was a car approaching from the opposite side. It started to go into its left hand turn lane, and my brother was about to go when the light turned yellow. Then the car just kept on coming through the intersection, at the last second he realized he was about to be hit and tried to jump off of his motorcycle. His left ankle was over the seat when he got hit sending the bike flying into his crotch and launching him into the air, landing in the lane next to where he had been. He ended up with a sore crotch, broken thumb some chipped bones in his hand and bruised ribs. The car that hit him then went on to hit the car behind my brother. At the end of the day there were two totaled cars and a totaled motor cycle. This was early in the morning and the guy had fallen asleep at the wheel. My brother said right before impact he could see the guys head laying back and his eyes were closed.
MB #2349
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Geeze, that's just down the road from me and I never thought of it as a nefarious roadway.

I do know that there was a HUGE gathering of people at the Hardywood brewery just down the road from that intersection. There was easily a few hundred people there drinking beer and eating from food trucks. From the amount of cars around the place I'd guess that not many people walked there. Leigh is one of the direct routes to and from them. They do that every Thursday night until about 9 so keep that in mind if your traveling in that area.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Sweet baby FSM.

If I were y'all, i might think about picking up a superstition.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I ride with a piece of Jet in my pocket. You can get it at any gem/stone/metaphysical store. It's for safety on the road, and I swear by it. Of course, I am superstitious and pagan, so that might have something to do with it. With a name like Lokky, I highly recommend you find a piece you like and keep it in your riding gear. Get one for Luna, too.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I'm getting some Jet for my sister in Kansas City!!! and me too!!!! along with ICE tags
She with the most 'used' toys wins.