Bigger tires?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Bigger tires?

Post by babblefish »

Hi All,

I just bought a used Blur and am thoroughly enjoying it so far - and that's saying a lot because my last bike was a 750 Suzuki!

Just wondering; has anyone tried putting bigger tires on a Blur? I was thinking about putting the 130 on the front and a 140 on the rear. My reason for doing this is a larger contact patch and for the "look".

Also, whenever I lock the front forks (with the built-in fork lock), it takes a lot of fiddling with the key to unlock it. Sometimes I think I'll never be able to unlock it again. Anyone else have this problem? :(
maxG

Post by maxG »

you can use a 140 width on the rear but not 130 on the front...[ mine has got a 140 maxxis ]

..for it might change the handling and end up "heavier" steering...

120-60 13 is still the best front tyre size for the gmax

also performance tyres such as pirelli and michelin doesnt have a size 60 profile....[only 70] so theres a possibility that it might hit the front tyre fender...

overall,, 120 front and 140 rear works best for me...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

More info (some of it questionable, but POC Phil knows what he's talking about) in this thread.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
beelzebubbles

Re: Bigger tires?

Post by beelzebubbles »

babblefish wrote: Also, whenever I lock the front forks (with the built-in fork lock), it takes a lot of fiddling with the key to unlock it. Sometimes I think I'll never be able to unlock it again. Anyone else have this problem? :(
Congrats on your Blur! Just out of curiosity, what made you switch from a Suzuki 750?

In case you haven't tried this yet, I've found nudging the handebars a little while turning the key with the other hand to lock/unlock the scoot works for me.
itcardoc

steering lock

Post by itcardoc »

I have the same problem, and just nudging the hadlebars off of full lock does the trick. -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
itcardoc

tire sizes

Post by itcardoc »

Hey , how about 130/60-13 in front and 140/60-13 in the rear? The G-Max 250 uses a 140/60-13 in the rear stock, so I would think it must fit. This at least would keep the balance of 10mm wider tire at the rear. I don't know if the G-Max 250 uses a wider wheel though. -Kevin
maxG

Post by maxG »

never heard of a 60" on a 130 at the front...

yes...im using a 140 maxxis at the rear...

i prefer the handling if the front is still on 120 / 60...

and most of our gmax buddies uses these profile set up
babblefish

Re: Bigger tires?

Post by babblefish »

beelzebubbles wrote:
babblefish wrote: Also, whenever I lock the front forks (with the built-in fork lock), it takes a lot of fiddling with the key to unlock it. Sometimes I think I'll never be able to unlock it again. Anyone else have this problem? :(
Congrats on your Blur! Just out of curiosity, what made you switch from a Suzuki 750?

In case you haven't tried this yet, I've found nudging the handebars a little while turning the key with the other hand to lock/unlock the scoot works for me.
I tried nudging/wiggling/mauling/swinging-from the handlebars, but it still doesn't unlock easily. If I wiggle the handlebar and key in perfect unison while facing the sun, it will eventually unlock - I'm screwed at night though... :cry: It probably just needs to be disassembled and lubricated.

I sold my Suzuki because I lost the garage it was parked in and had to vacate in a hurry. Besides that, it wasn't running and I didn't want to hassle with getting it towed to my new house. And besides that, I rather have a scooter for the city anyway because it's more convenient.
itcardoc

tire sizes con't

Post by itcardoc »

Regarding tire sizes, I have seen on this forum plus Scooterworks only carries the 130/60-13 for the front and rear. Also Pride of Clevland carries 130/60-13 tires which the say fit. They say this works fine on the front, so I thought possibly the 130/60 front , 140/60 rear combo might work to keep alittle wider tire on the rear. It seems that a 120/60-13 tire in UNOBTAINABLE anywhere in the US at least. I don't know about other countries? -KEVIN