How many miles should the tires get?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

heythere512

How many miles should the tires get?

Post by heythere512 »

Hey all - I have almost 2k miles on my Buddy 170i, and noticed a few "new" characteristics. First - the traction of the tires is different (clearly less grip), which made me wonder how often I should replace my tires. And this may be a dumb question, but do scooter tires need to be rotated, as I would do on a car?

Second - it rained alot while I was riding this weekend. Now there's a squeak. It isn't the brakes - it's almost like it's the front suspension. It squeaks when I go over bumps, and I can recreate it by standing up/sitting down. Anything specific that I should check, or clean, or something?

Thanks in advance for the lessons!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If you look at the tread on your tires, in the tread groove you will find a wear markers—little tabs of rubber lower than the top of the tread but about 1/8" higher than the deepest part of the tread. When the tread has worn down enough to reach these wear markers, it is time for a new tire.

Tire life will vary from rider to rider depending on the kind of riding you do, the brand of tire, kind of pavement you travel on, speed you ride at, your weight, and a number of other factors. Generally speaking though, rear tires will get 3000-4000 miles, front tires about 9000. Again, this can vary.

There is no need for rotating tires.

For the squeak, as a guess, try greasing/oiling your center stand. They have been known to squeak as you describe.

Hope that helps.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Also, check your air pressure. Low Pressure tires, will feel squirrely when cornering.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.