Genuine Buddy, Windshield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brandonwilliams929

Post by brandonwilliams929 »

Does anyone know where I can get a nice windshield for the Buddy that's relatively cheap, somewhere around the neighborhood of $50-$60? I just bought my scooter about a week ago and took it on its first real ride through busy roads and was amazed by how strong the wind was (given that it was my first time actually driving a motorcycle/scooter rather than riding passenger) and heard that having a windshield will help with that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think most of the ones out there are a little pricier, in the $75-$100 range.

Check out the Prima and Cuppini on Scooterworks: http://www.scooterworks.com/Windshields ... -C590.aspx

And the Slipstreamer Scoot 66:
http://www.amazon.com/Slipstreamer-S-SC ... B001EB9WPI

Part of this may just be getting used to the experience of riding. Depending on your size and proportions, a windshield might actually make things worse. It can deflect the wind, focusing it to one part of your body, like your helmet, increasing the noise and windy sensation.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jd

Post by jd »

I've got the Cuppini windshield on one Buddy and the Prima on the other. There's a big difference between them (and riding without one.)

They both help tremendously in protecting you from the constant blast of air across your chest and reducing rider fatigue.

The Cuppini windshield is smaller, and tends to direct air toward my head. I have a helmet with face shield, so my eyes are fine, but there's a lot of wind noise in my ears. On a long ride I'll wear ear plugs although even those don't cut it down completely.

The Prima is much better at keeping the air away from my face, BUT it makes the Buddy much more sensitive to windy conditions. My wife was frequently complaining about how she didn't like to ride in the wind, and I thought she was just being a wimp until I tried her bike. Whoa! The big windshield is like a sail, and sometimes it wants to grab the handlebars away from you during a strong gust.

The Prima also has an inferior mirror attachment design. I find that I cannot see as well behind me, my hands sometimes hit the mirrors when I do a manual turn signal, and you have to use Locktite on the threads to keep them from coming loose and swinging back at you. It's all manageable, though.

So I'd suggest you get a windshield of some sort if you plan to ride for extended periods of time. The trade-off between wind noise and wind susceptibility is a matter of taste. The Prima is cheaper, of course, and it looks it, but it serves its purpose (as long as you use Locktite!)

Personally, I like the Cuppini better, but that may be because I'm just more accustomed to it.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
jd

Post by jd »

I changed my mind.

I've been using my wife's Buddy with the Prima windshield lately when I ride alone so I can balance out the cumulative mileage on the bikes, and have come to the conclusion that I vastly prefer the Prima to my Cuppini.

The few extra inches in height of the Prima make a huge difference to me. We've been doing a lot of riding lately and the wind noise in my helmet with Cuppini was really getting old. Sometimes I wear ear plugs, but that is not very pleasant and detracts from the riding experience for me. But when I ride my wife's Buddy with the Prima, it's an entirely different experience. The perceived decibel level drops dramatically and the entire riding experience is more tranquil.

I had considered getting a full face helmet instead of my 3/4 one, but realized that the best solution was easier and cheaper: Putting a Prima on my bike. I ordered one from Scooterworks Sunday and it arrived yesterday. (Awesome service!) I'll install it this weekend. Can't wait.

So now I've got two Cuppini windshields that I don't need! LOL!

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Does anyone know of a shorty windshield/flyscreen for the Buddy? I'd like something sportier and lower profile to redirect the air upwards a little and deflect bugs from the headlight at night without being a full on windshield.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
amy

Post by amy »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Does anyone know of a shorty windshield/flyscreen for the Buddy? I'd like something sportier and lower profile to redirect the air upwards a little and deflect bugs from the headlight at night without being a full on windshield.
Me too.
Rusty Shackleford

Vespa gets this (and other short windscreen choices)...

While we get this?...

Come on! The Genuine screen on bottom looks down right dorky compared to the Vespa screen on the top.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I have the Cuppini, and I love it. I do not get any extra sound from the wind, but perhaps that is because I am shorter than average, so the wind is directed a little further over my head than someone complaining about the sound.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I noticed too that since the Buddys headlight is in the handlebar area it does limit choices.For example PUIG makes some nice aerodynamic scooter screens but all but one are made for scoots with the headlight lower down in the bodywork area.Not sure if the one they have with the headlight cut out would fit the Buddy.

PS-I know people have cut down their windscreens,if you could arrange that that maybe the ticket.
Attachments
970_puig_touring_scooter_windshield_189.jpg
970_puig_touring_scooter_windshield_189.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Aerosmith, None Other.
NeoGenesisMax

Simple Solution

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

You could always skip the odd looking windshields all together. Sorry guys but they just look bad to me. My first scoot had one and everyone thought it looked bad. It was noisy too. Now with my Buddy 50 I wear a full XL helmet made by BILT. It fits perfectly under the seat (that was the a major selling point) and has a second visor that is tinted that pops down between my face and the visor. This is nice because I wear glasses so I can't do sunglasses. The noise is t bad at all and there is no wind problem now.
jd

Post by jd »

If I had a a 50, then I might settle for no windshield because I wouldn't be traveling all that fast or all that far as a rule. I don't need a windshield on my 40 MPH 49cc bike. But it's not unusual for us to take a 150 mile ride, often at a sustained 50 MPH. After a while, the wind beating against your chest becomes somewhat fatiguing if you don't have a windshield.

I try to make it a point to never want to end a ride because I'm tired of it. I always try to end wishing the ride were longer.

BTW, I don't think the windshields are that bad looking and it wouldn't matter to me if I did, I suppose. I ride my Buddy because I love the riding. I don't really care very much what it looks like.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Scooterworks _used_ to have a short Prima windscreen/flyscreen, but it's no longer on their site. It was substantially smaller than the Cuppini Short and the Prima Medium that are on there now.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Brandonwilliams929:

Those windshields for Genuine Buddy cost $70-$105. I got mine from ebay for $40 shipping included. It is the wider one. It looked brand new when I got it.

rick71454
Rusty Shackleford

BuddyLicious wrote:I noticed too that since the Buddys headlight is in the handlebar area it does limit choices... ...I know people have cut down their windscreens,if you could arrange that that maybe the ticket.
The Vespa in the picture also has the headlight in the middle of the handlebars. You did prompt me to consider looking for someone who could precisely and cleany cut a taller widshield down though. Maybe there's some short universal ones that would fit? The search begins.

NeoGenesisMax wrote:You could always skip the odd looking windshields all together. Sorry guys but they just look bad to me... ...The noise isn't that bad at all and there is no wind problem now.
I agree. I'd rather just not have one. We're usually going 60mph or less, so it's not but so bad. The problem comes in when we get out into rural areas, as explained in the quote below...

jd wrote:If I had a a 50, then I might settle for no windshield because I wouldn't be traveling all that fast or all that far as a rule... ...it's not unusual for us to take a 150 mile ride, often at a sustained 50 MPH. After a while, the wind beating against your chest becomes somewhat fatiguing if you don't have a windshield...
This is the problem I'm facing. After 100 miles in the country, where the roads get faster and the bugs get bigger, it'd be nice to deflect the 55mph wind and keep from being splattered with so many bugs, lol.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
MYSCTR

Windshield

Post by MYSCTR »

Get this one - it is the best!

There is a DYI online here that will tell you how to mod it to your own size and or shape... take your time - it is easy - you are only cutting acrylic.

Windscreen, Cuppini Buddy - Short

Scooterworks has them - with the hardware package that has the left handed bolt for the right side which is very important to have.
Attachments
Kermit_62 Bz.JPG
Kermit_62 Bz.JPG (178.37 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
toot

Post by toot »

I just got my Cuippini Windshield from Scooterworks.. I love it.. I have riden various scooters from Vespa, Honda, and now Buddy 125, and I always hated the way the wind blew all over me....Researched pros and cons here on Modern Buddy and chose the Cuippini. This windshield does let wind blow around your face and arms, but it takes the wind off your body. For me it really makes for a more stable ride. It may cost more, but it was worth. Looks great and does a good job for what it was designed to do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I've been using a full helmet w/under chin protection, shield down. I am a rookie, but/and I am totally desensitized to the wind being a high wind windsurfer and sailor. That being said: I experience lift when being passed by large trucks, and, when in a canyon with venturi affect. Thermals are not head on, and, as such, it seems easy to control the scoot in a thermal. One of my considerations is gravel and bugs. IMHO these present safety issues. Cuppini or other???? for next season that is.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

I have a Cuppini short. I was going to cut it down a little, but after the last couple of days riding I have changed my mind. I caught at least 3 four inch long dragon flies on the wind shield. Only one made it past and hit me in the helmet. Prior to the windshield I was getting hit all the time in the chest.
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

For those who prefer the short windshield, how tall are you?

I'm in need of a windshield as I plan on riding from NYC to Boston. I'm 5'9" and like the look of the shorter windshield, but not as the expense of functionality.

Maybe I'll check out the local dealer and see if I can see them in person.
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

bimbom wrote:For those who prefer the short windshield, how tall are you?

Maybe I'll check out the local dealer and see if I can see them in person.
I am 5'5, the short cuppini rides about 3 inches below eye level. My husband has a flyscreen on his stella. I prefer the height of his for looks. But with all the rain we have had lately, the bugs are out in masses. The short cuppini has kept most of them from hitting me.

Alot of our roads are dirt also, I usually drive behind or staggered behind my husband. It keeps the rocks from him and other vehicles from hitting me.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Buddyland:

I installed my cuppini windshield on my Buddy 125 about two weeks ago . What a nice difference it makes. Most of the wind is redirected away from me. I don't get has cold and don't have to wear one or two more pieces of clothing under my jacket. Cold air use to hit under my chin and now it does not. I also stay drying in the rain. The bug splats use to be all over my helmet, but are now only splatting on top of it.

I reccommend getting a windshield.

Rick71454
evilbean42

Post by evilbean42 »

My wife has been looking for a windscreen for her Buddy too. She really was hoping to get one that extends out at the bottom to cover her hands. Cuppini makes one that has the shape that she wants, but it says it won't fit 2007 and later models. Does anybody know what Genuine changed on the 2007 model that prevents that windshield from fitting?
z20k

Post by z20k »

evilbean42 wrote:My wife has been looking for a windscreen for her Buddy too. She really was hoping to get one that extends out at the bottom to cover her hands. Cuppini makes one that has the shape that she wants, but it says it won't fit 2007 and later models. Does anybody know what Genuine changed on the 2007 model that prevents that windshield from fitting?
2006 Buddys have a much smaller headlight.
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
robby

Post by robby »

Have any of you had problems with your windshields rocking a bit too much when you hit bumps? Mine is clamped pretty tight to my Roughhouse mirrors but it can flex forward/backward quite a bit.
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

robby wrote:Have any of you had problems with your windshields rocking a bit too much when you hit bumps? Mine is clamped pretty tight to my Roughhouse mirrors but it can flex forward/backward quite a bit.
The only thing I've experienced after installing a windscreen is the right mirror rotating back. This happened while WOT into a 25mph wind last Sunday. Some blue Loctite should fix that, it's on my to-do list.
The windscreen itself is rock solid but I probably have a different one than you, mine's a Cuppini made for a Buddy.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
robby

Post by robby »

Interesting, but good to know. Mine is the Prima tall smoke windscreen made for a roughhouse. Maybe the mounting hardware is just subpar. I will try to find a better clamp fixture at Home Depot.