Can't honk my horn

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dsmith65

Can't honk my horn

Post by dsmith65 »

My horn seems to have given up the ghost. When I press the button nothing happens. I need some advice on where to start the trouble shooting, and what to look for. It has been like this for a few months, but there have been a couple instances lately when the ability to let someone know I was there would have been nice.

Thanks in advance

Don
MB #2349
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

you could get a multi tester and check the circut from the power to the horn. and check the power at the switch. see if it is passing power when pressed.
and look at the horn to see if the wired are ok.
hmm, and check the horn too to make sure the circut in it is not always open.
I think the horn on a roughhouse is at the bootom of the scooter. not sure on a buddy thou. could be in the front fender or in the back body. and check all the fuses too.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

the horn is easily accessed from removing the front cover 3 screws. make sure all the connections are good, including the ground.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

we have had this issue several times yet it always come back. our shop told us it is the button, they get finicky. not so sure if you can do anything about it. we have not found a cure.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

Make sure the horn works by connecting it directly to a 12 volt power source. You can use test leads, scooter-sized jumper cables from the battery, etc. Be careful not to short the test leads in the process. If the horn works then you have to check the switch and the wires in between.

Here is a graphic of the wiring diagram for a Buddy 125. The wiring diagram in the service manual PDF is too blurry for me to read. This one is a lot clearer. http://www.splatcat.com/download/Buddy1 ... Wiring.jpg

[edited to include URL of wiring diagram]
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Check the connectors, the horn on our 125 quit working and that's what it turned out to be. Roads around here are really bad and apparently the connector just came lose. Plugged it back in good and no problems since.
prrfan53

Horn failure

Post by prrfan53 »

This happened on my '09 Italia150 too. Found the horn relay to have an internal open...unsoldered wire. Find it midway between top and bottom of exposed wiring and to the right of the vert C/line. Open it's plastic cover and fix; good luck.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

well, you can tape a duck to your scooter until you get it fixed. WAK! WAK! WAK!
and secure it on there with duck tape.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but thinking that this thread title belongs in this thread:

topic7207.html
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Last night I had some time to take the front off and look inside. All connections were tight, fuse in there and by battery were all in good. Made sure all was snug and tested - no luck. So that left the switch, didn't really want to go in there as it requires taking a lot of things apart to get to it. Noticed that the screw at the back near the indicator was a little loose tried backing it out the rest of the way but it was too hard to, due to the indicator in the way. So I tightened it down put the cover back on and called it quits. This morning for some reason on my way to work I tried the horn and it works again. I think something is loose in where the button is, and until I have time to disassemble that piece I'm going to keep the screw tightened.

Thanks for all the advice.
MB #2349
Po

Post by Po »

Not sure if this helps or not but I just had my ignition assembly replaced by my scooter shop. It was intermittently not starting, no blinkers, no fuel gauge, and no horn. A new ignition fixed all of the above.
we thought we could outrun them but they had robot dogs
Eric

Post by Eric »

In case anyone is following this thread, I was able to successfully fix my unresponsive horn. Problem was heavy corrosion inside the button. I included pics of the repair. Hope it's useful!

topic17320.html
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

VinylDoctor wrote:well, you can tape a duck to your scooter until you get it fixed. WAK! WAK! WAK!
and secure it on there with duck tape.
bad enogh the horn sounds like someone squeezing a wet rat now.

just ride around and scream HONK when you need too.
or AIOOGA if you like the old time sound