Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?"

Post by ericalm »

This thread is for comments on the MB Guide "How much protective gear do I need? Why?"

I expect some folks will have feedback on this.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

You only need enough gear to protect the parts of you that you consider important. :D
Huh? What just happened?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Currently, I am at the helmet and gloves for safety gear. I definitely want to add in the jacket (and soon), preferably the Corazzo 5.0 (the look is awesome and the reviews are great). The cost factor is the only thing keeping me away from it at the moment.

In addition to the obvious reason to wear gear (protection in the unfortunate case of an crash), for me there is also the psychological factor. When wearing gear, I "feel" safer, therefore I can concentrate more attention to my surroundings, rather than trying to split my thoughts from my surroundings and what could happen while riding if I were to crash and have on no safety gear. Hmm.. I hope that made some kind of sense....

Anyhow, in Iowa I mainly see people riding MCs and scoots w/o the gear because Iowa doesn't have a law for helmets, but for me it's the way to roll!

~ Safe and happy riding to all!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I am definitely with Ronin, The first time i went over 50mph, the thought went through my head... "Hitting the ground at this speed wearing this puma track jacket, is gonna hurt really bad..." and now, with my Jacket, I feel much safer and dont think about that kind of stuff when I am riding, and I am able to concentrate on the road.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I wear helmet, gloves, and jacket all the time. I usually wear jeans or long pants as well. Boots farely often.

During the summer, long pants go out the window for me. I'm planning on getting some KrustyBurger kneepads to cover for them. If I can whip them on and off as needed, I'll be much more likely to wear them in hot weather!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

AxeYrCat wrote:You only need enough gear to protect the parts of you that you consider important. :D
So I can ride around in just an athletic support?
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

"I'd rather sweat than bleed." -Stan

Don't forget about footwear. A FF helmet, armored jkt and gloves do nothing for one's feet.

Many of us know of POC Renae's ordeal on a Buddy 125. That incident convinced me of the need to wear m/c boots EVERYTIME.

If you're not familiar I suggest this BBS posting. (WARNING: It is NOT for the weak of stomach!):

http://www.scooterbbs.com/bbs/dcboard.p ... ype=search
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

irishtim wrote:"I'd rather sweat than bleed." -Stan

Don't forget about footwear. A FF helmet, armored jkt and gloves do nothing for one's feet.

Many of us know of POC Renae's ordeal on a Buddy 125. That incident convinced me of the need to wear m/c boots EVERYTIME.

If you're not familiar I suggest this BBS posting. (WARNING: It is NOT for the weak of stomach!):

http://www.scooterbbs.com/bbs/dcboard.p ... ype=search
Ouch.

I don't wear boots around town but I do have a sturdy pair of skate shoes with reflective piping.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

As much as you want, and as little as the law allows..!

Dear Gawd, will we never see the end of this AGATT stuff!! :P
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Everyone has their own opinions on what/how much gear to wear... something i was very careful about indicating in the Guide. I don't want us, or anyone, to be in the position of trying to tell others what to do. It's pointless.

At the same time, I used to think people couldn't be convinced to wear more gear. Now I feel differently. I changed my attitudes after reading posts on crashes and seeing some of the gruesome images that have been sent around.

But the way to change attitudes about gear (one way or the other) isn't to preach to people, shame them, or goad them. Just lay it all out there, provide the information. Let them peruse the Who's Crashed thread. After that they're on their own.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I don't care if people want to wear safety gear. Around my house we call folks who don't wear helmets organ donors, so they do provide a valuable service.

ECS

PS. One of the young ladies who went on the slow ride with us forgot another important piece of safety gear - sunscreen. She got a nasty sunburn.[/u]
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

ericalm wrote:I used to think people couldn't be convinced to wear more gear. Now I feel differently. I changed my attitudes after reading posts on crashes and seeing some of the gruesome images that have been sent around.
I actually think that this forum has helped a lot of people become more safety concious when it comes to gear and other things as well. It seems like those who post here are a lot better geared-up than the typical scooterist you see on the street. I know that before I started lurking here, I was wearing a 3/4 helmet and had never even heard of an armored jacket. Now I have a FF and an armored jacket and am looking to upgrade other gear as well. Thanks everybody for helping me understand the importance of good gear! I for one would rather not learn the hard way.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Tony McGurk

Post by Tony McGurk »

I rode motorcycles for many years before buying a scooter & have always worn a FF helmet, armoured jacket, gloves & boots. I figured that coming a gutser is still gunna do damage whether I'm on a bike or a scooter. I only wear jeans at the moment but am looking at getting some kevlar jeans soon

An experience: When I did a MC training course at the start of the year the instructor told us of a lady on a scooter from a previous course. They supply FF helmets for those who haven't got one & prefer the participants to wear them. She outright refused to wear it & insisted on wearing her own open face helmet because she just didn't like FF. During emergency braking practice at low speed she locked her front brake, went over the handlebars & hit the bitumen chin first. Broke her jaw on both sides. An ambulance took her away... :(
Not preaching about helmets, just something to think about.
Been Scooterin' since March '2010 & luvin' it :-)
Korova

Re: Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?&qu

Post by Korova »

ericalm wrote:This thread is for comments on the MB Guide "How much protective gear do I need? Why?"

Feedback: The naked dude makes me uncomfortable and offended...

;)
Tony McGurk

Re: Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?&am

Post by Tony McGurk »

Korova wrote:
ericalm wrote:This thread is for comments on the MB Guide "How much protective gear do I need? Why?"

;)
That must be what they mean by half naked. "I saw a guy the other day & he was half naked"
Syd

Post by Syd »

Korova wrote:

;)
The clothed half of half naked guy looks like Dudley Doright on two wheels.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Drumwoulf wrote:As much as you want, and as little as the law allows..!

Dear Gawd, will we never see the end of this AGATT stuff!! :P
I'm wondering when we'll here the end of the amputated toes thing. I agree that boots are a good idea, but at the same time, getting involved in a crash that results in the loss of toes is extremely rare indeed. IMHO it's just not possible to dress for the worst possible scenario. There isn't that much gear out there. And don't forget that there are those rare injuries that are CAUSED BY THE GEAR itself.

Holy crap! now what do you do?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
bunny

Post by bunny »

You do the best you can do and hope that it's good enough.

Or you do the best you want to do and hope that it's good enough.

There will never be enough protection to make riding any safer than caging...other than a cage.

It is what it is. We can judge peeps till the scooters come home, but that won't do anything but make ourselves worse for it.

We're all adults. We make our adult choices and we go home at the end of the day (hopefully) and park the scooter and have a cold something or other.

ATGATT, MOTGMOTT, MOTGATT, SOMTGMOTT, SOMTGSOTT, NOTGATT...que sera sera ATT.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Tony McGurk

Post by Tony McGurk »

bunny wrote:
ATGATT, MOTGMOTT, MOTGATT, SOMTGMOTT, SOMTGSOTT, NOTGATT...que sera sera ATT.
I think that may have got you a triple word score :!: :!: :!: :lol:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'm of the "lead by example" school of thought.
Most people are influenced by monkey-see-monkey-do and very few want to be the first one doing something different. I wear the gear I wear, eventually I get questions (sometimes). I don't preach, I just state my reasons and leave it at that.

"You're on a scooter. What's with the motorcycle gear?"
"60 mph is still 60 mph. I wear it for the armor and abrasion protection. Same goes for the rest of the gear."

It's their call if they want to drink, I just answered the question of why I went to water. ;)
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

The idealistic view of scooter riding gear is very minimalist. In fact, the minimum needed to be legal. It usually only consists of a helmet. The reality is, if you're riding at the same speed as traffic, you're another vehicle in traffic. Scooters, definitely class M scooters, are more "step-thru CVT motorcycle" than they are "2-wheel equivalent of a golf-cart in a gated community". I get it; people don't like the hassle putting gear on. It "ruins the vibe"... but the reality is the pavement will tear your skin off and break bones. Other cars, and even curbs, can kill you. My GF and I both, motorcyclist and scooterist, wear full face helmets, armored motorcycle jackets, leather motorcycle gloves, long pants (I wear kevlar lined riding jeans), and boots. Now, we frequently ride 55mph+, but the same principle applies at lower speeds. You need to be very serious about assessing your risks. You're not dressing for the ride; you're dressing for the crash.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

"How much protective gear do I need?"

"NONE" if you never crash!
"ALL" if you do!
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Anybody have a good suggestion for boots? If I am going to work I just wear my loafers as my commute is 1/2 mile each way. But, when I go on longer rides I wear my hiking boots because they're sturdy, but I would like to get some legitimate boots, but something not too clunky, something that is easy to walk around in and looks like normal apparel. I don't want some crazy MX boot coming out from under my pants, haha.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I just bring work shoes in my bag and change out of my boots when I get to work.
hal888

Re: Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?&qu

Post by hal888 »

This thread doesn't include hi-viz gear as 'protective' gear, yet many commuters consider increasing visibility a part of their approach toward reducing the risk of injury.

As nice as it sounds, I never had some romantic image of riding a scoot around the city with Audrey Hepburn. I wear gear to increase the time I can ride without injury. Acquiring gear has been a process over time. Wearing it has similarly been a learning process. At first tedious, but with practice become a habit, and now feels natural.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

magnato1 wrote:Anybody have a good suggestion for boots? If I am going to work I just wear my loafers as my commute is 1/2 mile each way. But, when I go on longer rides I wear my hiking boots because they're sturdy, but I would like to get some legitimate boots, but something not too clunky, something that is easy to walk around in and looks like normal apparel. I don't want some crazy MX boot coming out from under my pants, haha.
i have a pair of these and like 'em. they are "big" shoes and some might consider them a bit clunky but thats because its a boot trying to be a shoe. but rest assured its a boot. prices should be under $100 and selection might be limited some places as Converse is updating the model, i believe. i posted these some time ago and a couple other riders ordered 'em. one posted they like 'em a lot, another returned them after finding them too.....boot like. i like 'em, myself

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jhh6QaNZBag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kcilf1476wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hal888 wrote:
This thread doesn't include hi-viz gear as 'protective' gear, yet many commuters consider increasing visibility a part of their approach toward reducing the risk of injury.
I consider high-viz more "preventative" than "protective." Some gear satisfies both, but I don't want to confuse or even combine the two issues. I should add a topic to address this and link them!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I don't like pain. So if wearing protective gear minimizes possibility of me experiencing pain - I'll wear the gear.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

magnato1 wrote:suggestion for boots?
Boots . . Kneepads
hal888

Post by hal888 »

ericalm wrote:
hal888 wrote:
I consider high-viz more "preventative" than "protective." Some gear satisfies both, but I don't want to confuse or even combine the two issues. I should add a topic to address this and link them!
I think about risk reduction of injury on a continuum of scales.

Primary prevention (i.e., avoiding crash) - strategies include visibility, training, awareness, bike maintenance, braking, etc. This is a combination of behavioral change and technology.

Secondary prevention (i.e., avoiding injury if you indeed crash) - strategies include protective gear and other technology-driven interventions.

Tertiary prevention (i.e., preventing death/disability if injured during a crash) - this is typical medical care, and maybe also first aide care immediately after crash.

For the most part, we can only address primary and secondary prevention strategies. Some people emphasize primary prevention (e.g., my loud protective exhaust alerts drivers to my presence) and go without any secondary prevention (i.e., no helmet). Others wear lots of gear, but skip safety training and skills development. My guess is that most do some combination of the two. Hi-Viz helmets provide an example of a hybrid approach, as it includes a behavioral choice (choice of high-viz) with technology (helmet) that combines concepts of primary and secondary prevention.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hi vis is ok. i think even if they see you they might go if that was their intent. i think if they don't see you coming for awhile and turn in front of you or w/e they aren't going to see you. its a brain thing with them. people see me all the time and do the dumbest stuff anyway

can't argue against it as its better then being invisible. which we are anyway. i think hi vis at night is useful. to glow in the dark. but that would seem obvious. like a headlight. but the more i ride the more i realize "they" see you or not

i do like my reflective tape at night, though. anything to get me noticed faster in the dark. but in the day? idk...
Riding is riding
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I wear it all including FF helmet based on my own experience. I had the required MSF gear with a 3/4 hemet and real motorcycle boots when I went down. The only part I didn't injure were covered by the boots and the 3/4 hemet.

The parts of my face, teeth and chin that the 3/4 helmet didn't protect were cut and loose. Every other body part that wasn't protected with the normal armor got a good case of road rash, along with a broken hand.
This was a under 20mph crash.

Visibility is a great preventive measure along with the headlight and taillight modulators. I got the usual response from the driver that knocked me down, "I didn't even see you!" He didn't see the stop sign he ran either.

At 75, I don't want to break any more bones.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

For riding I have a pair of pull on Timberland "Chelsea" style boot for the quick change or a pair of 10-eye Dr Martens 1461 in greasy black leather when I feel like lacing up. When I had my little wipe out, the Timberlands didn't even get scuffed. I keep my dress shoes in an unused drawer at my office and change out when I get to my desk.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Gloves - Great for abrasion prevention when going down but also help against other "objects."

I've been hit in the hand at 60 - 70 mph by large bugs, gravel kicked up and some kind of nut or seed pod that fell out of a tree. Even with armored gloves a few of these items still stung pretty good!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Everyone has their own opinions on what/how much gear to wear... something i was very careful about indicating in the Guide. I don't want us, or anyone, to be in the position of trying to tell others what to do. It's pointless.

At the same time, I used to think people couldn't be convinced to wear more gear. Now I feel differently. I changed my attitudes after reading posts on crashes and seeing some of the gruesome images that have been sent around.

But the way to change attitudes about gear (one way or the other) isn't to preach to people, shame them, or goad them. Just lay it all out there, provide the information. Let them peruse the Who's Crashed thread. After that they're on their own.
I agree. I think many do not realize until it is too late (i.e., something dire happens to themselves, their friends, loved ones, or club members) that maybe they should consider wearing more, or different, gear than they currently do.

I'd like to propose posting a few links... just links, so that readers only follow them if they choose to/are curious (but the stories are readily available if they want to read about them), accidents like mine and Renee's (the girl who was only wearing converses, I believe). So that people can have real examples of what can, or what has happened to riders who were undergeared for the situation that they ended up in. Or at least a direct link to the Who's Crashed thread and an urge for them to peruse it for consideration.

I'd also like to suggest a link to another page with additional preventative suggestions and examples, such as ways to add lights to the bike (like the light kits for the Buddy), headlight modulators, and information about hi-vis and reflective gear.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it, I won't be offended :)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

When I was in KC / Olathe for my sister's recovery from a MC accident, I was fascinated by the # of 'free spirited' riders in that local. No helmet, no armour, sandals. Jan's plastic surgeon had a great way of delivering his message: I think about my choices and the outcome of my choices. And I change my choices if they do not reflect a good outcome.
In the ski - snow sports industry we say "no brain, no pain."
The road rash from the 200 ft slide Jan took was intense, and obviously she has a brain because I saw the pain.
Jan's accident along with examples I've read in this forum, have made me aware of the potential outcome of 'poor choices' when navigating a scoot.
If I can afford protective gear ... I'll have it, as the scoot is only PART of my life.
I might be a member of the 'Ski to Die' club, but deny myself membership in the 'Scoot to Die' club.
Regardless, I do love my scoot.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:The idealistic view of scooter riding gear is very minimalist. ...
Rusty,
I hereby crown thee King of the Necroposters.

:D
viney266

Post by viney266 »

One thing I would like to mention, that I believe is often overlooked.

The gear isn't just for a crash. My FF helmet keeps the rain off my face and I don't eat bugs when I go by farmer Joe's field late at night on my way home.

My gloves and jacket would protect me well in a crash, but even more important the keep me DRY and WARM so I stay sharp and focused to enjoy the ride and AVOID the crash.

Yes, I wear all the gear ( roadracing for years did that to me)... But remember to think of more than just the crash...and with a little luch, and some skill you can even avoid most of them. :wink:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

viney266 wrote:The gear isn't just for a crash.
It also affects how drivers and others perceive you. I firmly believe geared-up riders are less likely to get pulled over by cops because the guys without insurance and proper licensing rarely wear gear.

Also, if scooterists want other drivers and the public at large to take scooters more seriously, not riding around in tanks and flips flops would certainly help change that perception.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:
It also affects how drivers and others perceive you. I firmly believe geared-up riders are less likely to get pulled over by cops because the guys without insurance and proper licensing rarely wear gear.

Also, if scooterists want other drivers and the public at large to take scooters more seriously, not riding around in tanks and flips flops would certainly help change that perception.
+100 :!:
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

So, since everyone is so excited to talk gear, I have a question. I have begun thinking about riding in my jacket but without the elbow and shoulder armor. It has 2 levels of back protection and is made of whatever fabric is made to slide along concrete.

Im thinking there is a way better chance of always wearing my jacket if it wasnt so bulky and cumbersome. The jacket was made for motorcycles, and Im not sure the same design is necessary at the low speeds I travel (usually top out at 35).

Thoughts?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

walke2jd wrote:So, since everyone is so excited to talk gear, I have a question. I have begun thinking about riding in my jacket but without the elbow and shoulder armor. It has 2 levels of back protection and is made of whatever fabric is made to slide along concrete.

Im thinking there is a way better chance of always wearing my jacket if it wasnt so bulky and cumbersome. The jacket was made for motorcycles, and Im not sure the same design is necessary at the low speeds I travel (usually top out at 35).

Thoughts?
The best gear is the gear that you actually will wear. When it's really hot I sometimes go down to a fieldsheer abrasian resistant shirt with minimal padding. That being said I am not in agreement with the "minimal" injury at low speed argument.

Next time you are riding at only 30 mph just think about jumping off...don't do it...just think about it!

Also the fall from a scooter to the road is a decent distance. Think of it this way...say you're sitting on a chair on a tile floor and someone just yanks the chair out from under you...thats gonna leave a mark!

I went down on the infamous Amerivespa Lookout Mountain ride. 12 mostly experienced riders, ate it that day.

I went down low side at 10 - 15 mph. Smacked my head on the asphalt...modular helmet did it's job...landed on left elbow and hip, right hand went to the asphalt. Fieldsheer mesh jacket sleeve armor did it's job, tore a hole in the fabric. Icon reinforced jeans...no armor..did the job they were designed for...no road rash..BUT I had a nasty ass hip bruise that took a long time to heal up due to the lack of armor or padding. Also scraped my Icon boots up pretty good too and destroyed whatever gloves I was wearing that day
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

walke2jd wrote:So, since everyone is so excited to talk gear, I have a question. I have begun thinking about riding in my jacket but without the elbow and shoulder armor. It has 2 levels of back protection and is made of whatever fabric is made to slide along concrete.

Thoughts?
I completely agree with BuddyRaton's comment that they best gear is the gear you'll wear. If it were me, I wouldn't take out those pads. If you think about going down on your left or right, elbows and shoulders are going to hit first.

Every crash is different. I was not wearing my jacket when I crashed and my elbow was fine (save for road rash) but I did separate my AC joint in my left shoulder. It's still sore at times over a year later.

However, I also broke my right thumb and yet I had armored gloves on. And the worst of my injuries was arguably my road rash which would have been avoided by a simple abrasion resistant shirt. So it's just impossible to play the odds game, you know? A good friend of mine recently went down at about 8 mph and tore her ACL. My crash was at 40-50 and considering I only had a helmet on (as far as protective gear), I came out relatively well from it.

I wear my jacket every time now, just because I have learned that I can't play those odds. I already have one arm-length scar. Not worth it to get another!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Thoughts?
My typical cruising speed is 35, and I wear my mesh-and-textile jacket (with armor) as much of the time as I can (the rest of the time being a warmer leather jacket). While 35mph isn't nearly as fast as 70mph, it's still pretty darn fast, and I'm worried about more than road rash at that speed: without functioning elbows and shoulders, I wouldn't be able to work. Or play very much. I'll take more risk with my knees, because there's still plenty I can do without one of those, but I need my arms. Motorcyclists spend a lot of time at around 35mph too, and to be honest, I have my doubts that my armor would be really that effective at 70, so I don't think it's overkill at 35.

I used to feel silly and awkward in the armored jacket, but I've gotten used to it, and these days it just makes me feel safer on the bike, and that makes the bike more fun.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

ericalm wrote:

THIS!!

I want to be taken seriously so I wear serious gear.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

TVB wrote:...I used to feel silly and awkward in the armored jacket, but I've gotten used to it, and these days it just makes me feel safer on the bike...
Good on ya' for wearing proper gear. Falling on the street when walking is painful enough and can cause injury. My GF and I both wear full face helmets, armored jackets, and motorcycle gloves at a bare minimum for that very reason. It takes far less speed than people think to cause injury. She gets the Buddy up to 60mph actual in the country as well, so having the armor is still better than not having it.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

TVB wrote:I used to feel silly and awkward in the armored jacket, but I've gotten used to it, and these days it just makes me feel safer on the bike, and that makes the bike more fun.
You know I think almost everyone goes through that; the "damn I look so dorky" morphing into "I don't give a crap what other people think I look like"
www.teamscootertrash.com

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I always do a helmet and gloves. I have taken off my jacket here and there for short distances, or worn shorts for the same (we're talking trips of > 1 mile) since 100+ weather is brutal, but I just try not to go out when it is that hot.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

ericalm wrote:

^^^^ Thats a VERY good point. something I never really thought about. But, I do believe you are correct.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
hal888

Post by hal888 »

BuddyRaton wrote: You know I think almost everyone goes through that; the "damn I look so dorky" morphing into "I don't give a crap what other people think I look like"
+1