Genuine Cruiser?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JohnDapper

Genuine Cruiser?

Post by JohnDapper »

What ever happened to the retro cruiser that was suppose to come out?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The economy tanked. It takes a lot of money to develop a product and even more to get it through regulations and importation.
In the end, the market base for large displacement scooters is fairly small. A lot of consumers who want something bigger than 150-200 cc's want them for riding outside of urban areas and thus, will look to motorcycles.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Ah yes. Ye Olde Genuine Cruiser discussion.
Oh how I have missed thee. lol
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Calling Peabody99... Peabody99...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

And then Piaggio introduced the BV350. The temptation is almost too much.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Cruiser project is not dead, just delayed. I don't know much, but I do know that it hasn't been abandoned and there's still a lot of desire at Genuine and PGO to bring these to market when the time is right. Either way, though, it's going to take a while because it was being developed from the ground up.

I suspect we'll see some other new model from Genuine before the cruiser.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Wish list...

250cc FI
Air Cooled
Flat Seat
Wide floorboard (think Elites)
Classically Styled

I'd be one of the first customers in line.

I'm not too crazy about the BV series... the styling of it just seems a little "off", and the seat... pushes up too much on my manhood and is uncomfortable.

I know that if LML ever came out with a twist and go version of their Stella, I'd also be in love with that.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ya. A 250-300cc 4 stroke Stella. Tubeless tires. Gullwing hinges on the skirts. 12" tires. A built in tach. Factory led turn signals and brake lights.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

The Vespa GTS meets a lot of these requirements, but costs over $6k. If Genuine had the body of a Stella with the powertrain of a Blur, that would be cool. A Stella 220i CVT.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

Stitch wrote:Ya. A 250-300cc 4 stroke Stella. Tubeless tires. Gullwing hinges on the skirts. 12" tires. A built in tach. Factory led turn signals and brake lights.
Sign me up for that one!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Stitch wrote:Ya. A 250-300cc 4 stroke Stella. Tubeless tires. Gullwing hinges on the skirts. 12" tires. A built in tach. Factory led turn signals and brake lights.
Rusty Shackleford wrote:The Vespa GTS meets a lot of these requirements, but costs over $6k. If Genuine had the body of a Stella with the powertrain of a Blur, that would be cool. A Stella 220i CVT.
:+!: :+!: :+!: :+!:
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
JohnDapper

Post by JohnDapper »

Where any offical mock-ups ever released?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:And then Piaggio introduced the BV350. The temptation is almost too much.
You got this one right. Then Piaggio released the BV 350 for about a grand less than a GTS - and I bought one for touring.
Life is good :wink: .
Witch

Post by Witch »

Isn't the special edition of it supposed to include a flying rainbow unicorn on the paintjob? Or was it just a regular rainbow unicorn? I always forget. :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dooglas wrote:
Syd wrote:And then Piaggio introduced the BV350. The temptation is almost too much.
You got this one right. Then Piaggio released the BV 350 for about a grand less than a GTS - and I bought one for touring.
How much do you think it'd cost to buy a spare seat pan and have it redone to fit someone longer of leg? I can sit on the BV350, but it's tight - my tailbone wants to be on the hump, so I want the seat more in one plane, if not flat.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Vespa GTS 300 Super & the Piaggio BV 350 set the new bar. I hear it's outside of Genuine's target audience (whatever the hell that is) to release something comparable. I love the Buddy, but as far as I see it, the GTS is the best scooter on the market. Just sitting on one is exciting. The fit and finish is top notch and the aesthetics can't be beat. That flat finish charcoal version is probably the attractive scooter I've ever seen. Our local Genuine dealer also sells Piaggio/Vespa and everyone unanimously praises the GTS. I know it takes a lot to put a new scooter into production, but I think a CVT Stella 220i with 12 or 13 inch wheels would be a hit.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Since we are talking about the GTS just letting you guys know that Piaggio announced a GTR with the same engine as the BV350
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lokky wrote:Since we are talking about the GTS just letting you guys know that Piaggio announced a GTR with the same engine as the BV350
Doesn't sound like that will occur any time soon (if ever). For now it is only slightly less mythical than the Genuine Cruiser.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Dooglas wrote:
Lokky wrote:Since we are talking about the GTS just letting you guys know that Piaggio announced a GTR with the same engine as the BV350
Doesn't sound like that will occur any time soon (if ever). For now it is only slightly less mythical than the Genuine Cruiser.
The insider information at this point is that it should be revealed at the Salone di Milano next month and be for sale by next year.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
Still loving the BV350 huh? Good to hear. :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lokky wrote:The insider information at this point is that it should be revealed at the Salone di Milano next month and be for sale by next year.
We'll see :wink: . (remember the 946?)
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Dooglas wrote:
Lokky wrote:The insider information at this point is that it should be revealed at the Salone di Milano next month and be for sale by next year.
We'll see :wink: . (remember the 946?)
The concept design? As far as I'm aware that was never supposed to become an actual production model.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lokky wrote:As far as I'm aware that was never supposed to become an actual production model.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/03/19/m ... h-america/
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Calling Peabody99... Peabody99...
present and accounted for. At this point if I win a HUGE lottery, I'm gonna blow it on making us a cruiser. It's gonna be fast, fuel injected, affordable, and cool looking, and won't be too tall. It's gonna have a coffee holder and...... :lol:
phatch

Post by phatch »

Dooglas wrote:
Lokky wrote:As far as I'm aware that was never supposed to become an actual production model.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/03/19/m ... h-america/
I'm all over that, 'til they put stupid looking DOT signals on it :?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

phatch wrote:I'm all over that, 'til they put stupid looking DOT signals on it :?
I still think that the bar for "stupid DOT signals" was what Yamaha did to the '83 - '87 Riva 80. The clean integrated front blinkers were replaced with full-size motorcycle blinkers on weird outriggers, the integrated taillamp and blinkers were painted over and weird, full-size motorcycle tail lamp and blinkers were tacked onto the luggage rack. Pretty much wrecked the look of the bike. :(
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Here's a look I'd go for:

Other sizes here.

I'd love to have one of these. The SC-1 wasn't cool back in the day, but I think the look could carry forward in a modern re-interpretation.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

skully93

Post by skully93 »

looks retro-cheese to me. I'd buy one :P.
Syd

Post by Syd »

peabody99 wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Calling Peabody99... Peabody99...
present and accounted for. At this point if I win a HUGE lottery, I'm gonna blow it on making us a cruiser. It's gonna be fast, fuel injected, affordable, and cool looking, and won't be too tall. It's gonna have a coffee holder and...... :lol:
And only one horn! And, and, and RAINBOWS!!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

…And here we go again…
JohnDapper wrote:Where any offical mock-ups ever released?
Not released. But they exist.
az_slynch wrote:Here's a look I'd go for:

From what I've heard, the Genuine will resemble this more than a Vespa. Legshield-mounted headlight unlikely, though. :)

It will be an automatic, somewhere in the 280cc range, with at least 14" wheels. That much is certain.
RoaringTodd wrote:I know that if LML ever came out with a twist and go version of their Stella, I'd also be in love with that.
This will likely happen. When LML started building Stellas again, then announced the 4T, they laid out their plan: 150 4T, then a 200 engine, then an injected version. These things have all happened. The next step they outlined was a CVT version, possibly in a 200cc-250cc.

How they get to 250cc will be interesting to see. Not sure how big a crankshaft they can fit in there.

Still, performance-wise, a Stella auto 200/250 won't be comparable to a Vespa GTS 250 or 300. It'll be a faster Stella. The Cruiser on the other hand, might be somewhat closer—probably similar to how an LX and Buddy compare.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Forgive me for this utter silliness, as i've just woken up and there's no coffee in the house (though there is a rare bottle of Dew)

It would be just about the funniest thing ever (and most unlikely) if, when the Cruiser does finally see the light of day, the model was named the RU250. Or hell, even the prototype for eicma or whatever.

:clown:
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

So we may see yesterday again? You know when Women,Autos and Scooters had character and curves.I'm all for this! Speed freaks need not apply. :D

The perfect Sunday scooter,the Cruiser......

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Have you guys bit seen this yet ?

http://www.lmlitalia.com/index.php

Only a 125 though I'm afraid.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

More pictures here

Www.facebook.com/tassouk
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

You know, I'm liking it......:D

My first scooter riding experience, a rental, was an automatic. I started looking to buy one, I fell in 'lust' with Stella I however decided I didn't want a 'shifty' and the Buddys came to the US, I was happy, 'had' to ride a 50cc Honda for a while till I got my Buddy. Bring me one of these, I have the best of both what I want. (Sure, I can ride a 'shifty' but I don't want to)
Attachments
automatic5.jpg
automatic5.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
Last edited by KABarash on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

If genuine calls it the rainbow unicorn, or makes a special rainbow unicorn model (like a psycho or lemonhead), I would have to buy it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I would go for a more modern futuristic look, at least a 500 cc, lower seat height or at least something that can be lowered, a 2 wearer that can comfortably accommodate 2, an automatic, ABS would be nice Maybe something even that looks like a sports bike but really is not
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Tipper wrote:Image

Tipper, that 125 is whacky! Are both of those black tubes intake? Or is one of them the exhaust? It looks kinda neat, it's funny how it's a combination of new and old, rear tire sits off the ground instead of the front, spare on the right! It's whacky, haha
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I have no idea what any of those pipes do ! I got the images from a dealers facebook page.

One thing I have noticed is that the kickstart spindle sits in a very high probably unusable position. I got an email from a guy at EP barrus (the UK importer) the other day saying.....

'The auto is “expected” end of September-early October, however please keep in mind we have never received any completely new model from any supplier on time!

The big change is, it is no longer a PK size, it is now the same body shape and size as the standard Star Deluxe, and will only be available as a 125.

Members of staff have ridden preproduction prototypes in Milan, and commented on how well they performed'

September in LML speak means they will probably be available next spring.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

magnato1 wrote: Tipper, that 125 is whacky! Are both of those black tubes intake? Or is one of them the exhaust? It looks kinda neat, it's funny how it's a combination of new and old, rear tire sits off the ground instead of the front, spare on the right! It's whacky, haha
The one in the front looks like an outlet tube for the cooling shroud. Wouldn't want the engine feeding hot air into the intake. Bet it has a scoop for the fan intake on the other side. With the cylinder positioned as it is, air-cooling could get very challenging.

Kicker's removed. Wonder if that is because the engine is fuel injected, or that it would be an utter bastard to operate.

With such an extreme angle on the motor, I wonder if they had to modify the oiling system. I assume the motor rides at a more reasonable angle when off the stand, but it's still going to be steep compared to conventional GY6-type installs.

Gas tank must be weird too. It must be pretty small and stuffed forward under the front of the saddle. Not much space in the rear with all the air intake crap and what I expect is a centrally mounted shock.

Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Hi my name is Wheelz, and I do not own a genuine cruiser....
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Stormswift wrote:I would go for a more modern futuristic look, at least a 500 cc, lower seat height or at least something that can be lowered, a 2 wearer that can comfortably accommodate 2, an automatic, ABS would be nice Maybe something even that looks like a sports bike but really is not
This already exists. It's called a Suzuki Bergman. I think they have AARP discounts too. :twisted:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Tipper wrote:Image

They ruined it. Automatic in a P-series=fail.

Looks like I better buy one of those 4T stellas with a real manual transmission ASAP next year
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
lucasan

Post by lucasan »

I was liking this bike up until the I saw the console/glovebox thing. Hideous piece of design oversight.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

lucasan wrote:I was liking this bike up until the I saw the console/glovebox thing. Hideous piece of design oversight.
Yanno, it can be removed. It's a lot handier than you think and doesn't cause legroom issues. Heck, this thing doesn't have a foot brake, all the more useable foot space.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I just noticed what is glaringly wrong (aside from no manual transmission, no footbrake, and no sensible way to work on the damn motor):

The spare tire is on the WRONG DAMN SIDE!!!!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

peabody99 wrote:
Stormswift wrote:I would go for a more modern futuristic look, at least a 500 cc, lower seat height or at least something that can be lowered, a 2 wearer that can comfortably accommodate 2, an automatic, ABS would be nice Maybe something even that looks like a sports bike but really is not
This already exists. It's called a Suzuki Bergman. I think they have AARP discounts too. :twisted:
Burn!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lucasan wrote:I was liking this bike up until the I saw the console/glovebox thing. Hideous piece of design oversight.
Which what?
Witch

Post by Witch »

neotrotsky wrote:I just noticed what is glaringly wrong (aside from no manual transmission, no footbrake, and no sensible way to work on the damn motor):

The spare tire is on the WRONG DAMN SIDE!!!!
I noticed that too, and I'm decidedly of the modern-scoot crowd (though I do appreciate and admire the vintage and Stella scoots). My uneducated guess would be that because all the other modern automatic scoots are done this way, they arranged it like that so there would be more possibility of being compatible with already standard parts and service routines. If they made it too different, they'd have to make way more new parts than they will already, and everybody would have to train to work on it.