First Bike?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Beamie

First Bike?

Post by Beamie »

Is the buddy suitable for a starter bike for a little (ol) lady?
jess

Re: First Bike?

Post by jess »

Beamie wrote:Is the buddy suitable for a starter bike for a little (ol) lady?
As with most scooters, your physical size (and inseam) is a big factor. That being said, I think the Buddy would be an excellent first bike for many many different people. It's inexpensive, it's relatively lightweight, it's easy to ride, and it's suitable for even the vertically challenged. One user here -- Ellen -- found it to be a bit cramped at 5'11", but she also explained that she's all leg. Your mileage may vary. The only way to know for sure is to go sit on one and see how it feels.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

jess wrote:
As with most scooters, your physical size (and inseam) is a big factor. That being said, I think the Buddy would be an excellent first bike for many many different people. It's inexpensive, it's relatively lightweight, it's easy to ride, and it's suitable for even the vertically challenged. One user here -- Ellen -- found it to be a bit cramped at 5'11", but she also explained that she's all leg. Your mileage may vary. The only way to know for sure is to go sit on one and see how it feels.

Mrs Beamie is quite short and found that the only "better" bike that she could reach the ground well on.

I just didn't know if it might be too zippy for a beginner.

I really do dislike 2 strokes after a lifetime of sniffing trailbike fumes, so the Buddy got my attention.

I tested a Buddy and a Vespa back to back so the Vespa influenced my objectivity, but it wasn't the fit for her.
jess

Post by jess »

Beamie wrote:I just didn't know if it might be too zippy for a beginner..
I don't think the Buddy is too zippy for a beginner, but that's me.

I believe that a much bigger factor for beginners is the overall weight of the bike and the difficulty steering it and holding it up in a low-speed turn.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I think the Buddy is really ideal for a first scooter. I think it's one that would be pretty easy to get over confident on in a short period of time though. It's that easy to ride. I actually just let my mom take one out and she thought it was great. She has been riding since long before I was born, and this was only the second scooter she's been on. She said she felt comfortable with it and had a lot of fun.
- Bryce
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Bryce Ludwig wrote:I think the Buddy is really ideal for a first scooter. I think it's one that would be pretty easy to get over confident on in a short period of time though. It's that easy to ride. I actually just let my mom take one out and she thought it was great. She has been riding since long before I was born, and this was only the second scooter she's been on. She said she felt comfortable with it and had a lot of fun.
My mom rode Indians. I bet I could get her on a scooter.
At 76 she is always after me to take her out on the Triumph motorbike.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jess wrote:
Ellen is a special case. She's 5'11" and the scooter doesn't fit her, yet I am every bit of 6'3" and it fits me like a glove. Ellen tells me that she has an unusually long femur (thighbone) and that it causes her all kinds of trouble. Chelsea in 5'3" and she can put her feet down flat while sitting on the Buddy. As for the little ol lady part, I think the Buddy is the best bet in a first scooter simply because it's so amazingly easy to ride (and the price is so right).
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

We decided to give it a go.
jess

Post by jess »

Beamie wrote:We decided to give it a go.
Excellent! Of course, we want pictures...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Good for you! Now we have to tell you to ride safe. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Always wear safety gear. We recommend a ful-face helmet. No fip flops! Okay, enough of that now. Have fun! And be sure to post some photos.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

jrsjr wrote:
Good for you! Now we have to tell you to ride safe. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Always wear safety gear. We recommend a ful-face helmet. No fip flops! Okay, enough of that now. Have fun! And be sure to post some photos.
It's for my wife.
My Triumph's needed a Buddy in the garage.

Of course it's rainy on pickup day!
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Gave her a first lesson today and I heard a "Yippee" as she motored by.