If a car and a scooter mated?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

VinylDoctor

If a car and a scooter mated?

Post by VinylDoctor »

TelPerian

Post by TelPerian »

I'd trust them more if they knew which form of the word 'its' to use on their homepage. :roll:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

sub sole nihil novi est... :lol:

ZAP Motors has already sold this as the Xebra EV. Guess someone else decided they could drop a gas engine in one and call it good. I've seen a Xebra in person; frankly speaking, it's rather underwhelming.

Think Chinese-made rehash of a Reliant Robin.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Safest vehicle in it's class!

I'm particularly fond of how the term Street Legal is in quotes, as if to imply "It's pretty legal if no one sees you drive it."

kinda scary....
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

I dunno, I kind of like it. For $9k, it seems like it could be fun. And it would get you onto the HOV lanes in VA, so thats a huge plus. Just wonder if it would hold up longer than a year or two.
anthony

Post by anthony »

except that it's got 2 wheels in the back, so not really like a scooter.

and not really sure what the advantage of this over a smart car is, being that the latter is roughly the same size and, you know, has 4 wheels and all.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

anthony wrote:except that it's got 2 wheels in the back, so not really like a scooter.

and not really sure what the advantage of this over a smart car is, being that the latter is roughly the same size and, you know, has 4 wheels and all.
Scooter = 2 wheels
Car = 4 wheels
So, a hybrid of both would have 3. Duh.

And Smart Cars start at $12.5k. And they have 4 wheels, meaning no carpool lanes. And they don't get 70mpg...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nuttin new here

Production 1973–81 (UK)
1974–78 (Greece, under license)
1989–2001 (UK revamped)
2001–02 (B&N Plastics)
Predecessor Reliant Regal
Successor Reliant Rialto
Body style 2½-door 3-wheel saloon with large opening rear window[1]
Engine 748 cc and 848 cc OHV light alloy Straight-4[1]
Transmission 4-speed manual all-synchromesh[1]
Wheelbase 85 in (2,159 mm)[1]
Length 131 in (3,327 mm) (saloon) [1]
Width 56 in (1,422 mm)[1]
Height 54 in (1,372 mm) [1
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

The British show "Top Gear" took at look at the Reliant Robin once. I hope this "safest in its class" vehicle is a bit safer. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I have seen these before.....in the flesh.

Never operated one but a point to ponder.

These are licensed as a motorcycle, just like a trike or a sidecar rig.

So, a MCY license is required.
1. I wonder how the course would be setup if this is going to be used for the test.....(Yep, my bike is over there.....heh,heh)

2. In states where helmet use is required, does that mean one must wear a helmet to drive it? (Although, you probably should) and, do you have to wear your seatbelt while operating your 'motorcycle?'

Inquiring minds with much free time wish to know.

Rob
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The licensing varies by state. They would only need a driver's license in CA, not a motorcycle endorsement.

I get and appreciate the intent here. I'm a big fan of old microcars and three-wheelers. Are these at all practical or desirable for most Americans? Probably not. And I'm sure there are much safer implementations. At this point, why not just get a Smart car?

They could probably sell the hell out of these in India and SE Asia if they could get the price low enough.

I've been waiting 5 years for this to hit the streets and may have bought one if they'd come out when originally announced at the original, sub-$15K price point. Now over $25K. Meh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
anthony

Post by anthony »

walke2jd wrote: Scooter = 2 wheels
Car = 4 wheels

And Smart Cars start at $12.5k. And they have 4 wheels, meaning no carpool lanes. And they don't get 70mpg...
By that logic, a 3-wheel ATV would be a hybrid of a car and scooter also. If we're only talking by virtue of the number of wheels anyway. I was thinking more- body of car, # of wheels of scooter, but this is just the body of a car with 3 wheels, so more like a hybrid of a car and 3-wheeler. annnnnyway, re: the smart car, you have a point. I was thinking of the diesel smart cars they have in europe that also get 70mpg. I didn't realize that the ones in the US were different.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

They bodged the Smart launch in the USA. I see many, but it's not the car I hoped we would get, even after a couple years, which was a diesel.

Given that both Japan and the US are now making some pretty good, cheap small cars with good MPGs, it's very hard to make sense of the Smart for most practical buyers.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

TVB wrote:The British show "Top Gear" took at look at the Reliant Robin once. I hope this "safest in its class" vehicle is a bit safer. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
TG is a great show...but not always fair. They put on an over sized tire..added a bunch of weight etc.

It was pretty cool when they launched one like a space shuttle!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

Safest in its class while also being the most dangerous in its class!

Space Shuttle Robin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR- ... ure=relmfu

Mr Bean and the Robin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1U-85lzkQ[/url]
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

anthony wrote:
walke2jd wrote: Scooter = 2 wheels
Car = 4 wheels

By that logic, a 3-wheel ATV would be a hybrid of a car and scooter also. If we're only talking by virtue of the number of wheels anyway. I was thinking more- body of car, # of wheels of scooter, but this is just the body of a car with 3 wheels, so more like a hybrid of a car and 3-wheeler. annnnnyway, re: the smart car, you have a point. I was thinking of the diesel smart cars they have in europe that also get 70mpg. I didn't realize that the ones in the US were different.
It's a Scar
a go cart with a motorcycle engine.
I bet they float too.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

heyitsomid wrote:Safest in its class while also being the most dangerous in its class!

Space Shuttle Robin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR- ... ure=relmfu

Mr Bean and the Robin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1U-85lzkQ[/url]
did you see the show where he drove off the brideg and it hit the water and popped up?
and the music was when the red red robin goes bob bob bobbin along.
Tom

Post by Tom »

My favorite car scoot combo project is this one here. If it does what they say it will, I'll buy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5MQlD0r5s
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Tom wrote:My favorite car scoot combo project is this one here. If it does what they say it will, I'll buy.
Cool, but looks a little over-complicated. Still cool!

Sadly, it will probably be $30k *if* it ever makes it to market, or it will be vaporware.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Tom

Post by Tom »

It'll be 19k, in 2014. They're saying 12.5K by 2018 ;)
200 miles on a charge, 100 mph possible. But yes, very very complicated.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Tom wrote:My favorite car scoot combo project is this one here. If it does what they say it will, I'll buy.
it does look kinda cool, but judging from the video, handling won't feel as nice as it does on a scooter. the balance thing will be awesome for dangerous or potentially dangerous situations, but quite possibly at the cost of fun!
Tom

Post by Tom »

So true. I would absolutely miss leaning, curious to see what the driving will feel like. I figure you still lean but the gyros do it for you as you turn the wheel? Seems strange to think about, because it must lean to turn, and so you'll still have to fall into the lean, even if you don't cause it. Must be tested prior to buying of course.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So, if you need a motorcycle license to operate one, does that mean you can drive it in the carpool lane?

...I'm just wondering how it handles in the wind...
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Lokky

Post by Lokky »

This is really tickling my desire for a piaggio ape
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Lokky wrote:This is really tickling my desire for a piaggio ape
Don't forget the Lambros too! :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
lovemysan

The moonbeam, scooter powered car DIY

Post by lovemysan »