Not a Great Way to Start the Day

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coffeejunkie

Not a Great Way to Start the Day

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I was sitting at a stop light, when I turn my head and see a guy inches away from me.

He said," you gotta help me man," and the proceeded to try and push me off my scoot.

Trying to stay on I struggled with him for a second, but in the end I got wrenched off and thrown to the ground. I was able to however hit the kill switch, but as I did the guy dropped my bike on the street and punched me in the face (apparently somewhere in the scuffle the front half of my modular helmet popped up), then dragged me away from the bike. After that, I just let him have it (I've got a wife and 1 year old boy which are more important to me), but he couldn't get Vic to start thanks to me hitting the kill switch.

Lucky for me I was a block from work near where APD parks their cars after their shift (and it was quitting time); so as the guy was threatening to shoot me as he tried to roll Vic away an officer rolled up.

Longer story short, they caught the guy and I'm OK. However my face hurts, and poor Vic has a few scratches.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Glad you're OK. Geez, the nerve of some punks.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

:shock:
EZPZ #65
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Holy crap! So glad the end to the story is no worse. What an awful way to start the day! Glad you are OK. You were smart to let it go rather than risk your life. Things are just things. They can be replaced.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thats one bold bastard! I'm glad he got caught...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's some scary stuff, man.

So glad to hear nothing worse happened and that the perp was caught.

Sheesh, " you gotta help me man,"?! What a way to start the whole carjacking process!
Did he look like a meth-head or did you find out if he was on the run from someone/something?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Oh my god! So glad the story had a "happy" ending! And an excellent reminder that as much as we may love our rides, they aren't worth losing your life over. Take care of that face!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

God Help Us All! and Good For You for fighting back. Thanks for that kill switch reminder, and let us know how the law processes this one. R
black sunshine

Re: Not a Great Way to Start the Day

Post by black sunshine »

holy shit, that SUCKS!!! where in Atlanta was this again?
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Smart thinking with the kill switch. Glad you are safe.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
amy

Post by amy »

Whoaaaa - where in Atlanta?

Thankfully the police got him and that you weren't more seriously hurt.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Fabulous save with the kill switch... I hope the guy has all the charges pressed against him possible and that they ALL stick. And I'm really glad you're okay. If I start riding again/if Lokky ever takes another long long distance ride, mace or pepper spray will be supplied.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yikes! Glad you and your Buddy got out of that mostly unscathed! Pleased that the police were able to nab the guy too!

You made the right call to let go. You can always get another scooter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost got 'jacked in Coolidge, AZ two years ago. I left Tucson late, heading to Phoenix for the Great Southwestern Scooter Fiesta II. I had to stop mid-way to fill my thirsty old bike. While I was filling, I noticed a few teens walking down the other side of the main drag. They saw the bike, and crossed over in a slow arc, whistling to some as-yet unseen party. I finished fuelling and geared up in short order. I had just kicked it to life when these three dudes come around the pump island.

The ringleader called out, "Hey, Spiderman! Let me ride your bike!" (I was wearing a red helmet and armored jacket)

"I can't, I need to be someplace. Sorry, man."

The ringleader replied, "You don't understand, man. Let me ride your bike!"

I clutched and slipped it into first. Checked my mirror. Great, two more goons had come around the backside of the pump island.

I replied, "No. Move."

I revved the motor, dropped the clutch and launched at the ringleader. Apparently, he wasn't interested in getting run down by a Vespa and dodged. I turned for the gas station exit, and a Suburban moved in front of me (I think this was an unrelated party), so I swerved and jumped the scoot over the curb.

Since then, I'm mindful to watch my surroundings when stopped, especially at night.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That's not "help!" Holy cow!

Glad you're okay; that's what matters most.

Despite the crummy circumstances, it's good to hear of an actual case in which a scooter jacker was thwarted by the kill switch.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ericalm wrote:That's not "help!" Holy cow!

Glad you're okay; that's what matters most.

Despite the crummy circumstances, it's good to hear of an actual case in which a scooter jacker was thwarted by the kill switch.
I wonder if a jetski-style breakaway switch would be a viable anti-jacking tool as well?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

black sunshine wrote:holy shit, that SUCKS!!! where in Atlanta was this again?
Right at the light on Andrew Industrial and Centennial Park; apparently it was 4 people in a white car that started following me from the Exxon on 10th, and the guy that jumped me got out of said car.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Never even crossed my mind that you could get scootjacked! Really glad it came out alright in the end for you.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Wow!

Glad you're OK!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I guess its time to go out to the work shop and perfect the Ben Hur Chariot Wheel attavhments I have been working on... :lol: R
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Glad to hear you're OK - I'm sure it was very traumatic.

With scooters and MCs it's very important to maintain situational awareness when stopped as well as moving. When your stopped the threat is not only a vehicle crashing into you, but four and two legged threats.

Think about these things:
- What a the vehicles behind me doing? (could I get rear ended?)
- Are there possible threats walking near me?
- What going on around me?
- What's my escape plan?

The last one is important. How will you get away when things go south? Could you quickly turn right onto the next street? Perhaps make a U turn? Always leave enough space between you and the car in front for a hasty get away.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Coffeejunkie wrote:
black sunshine wrote:holy shit, that SUCKS!!! where in Atlanta was this again?
Right at the light on Andrew Industrial and Centennial Park; apparently it was 4 people in a white car that started following me from the Exxon on 10th, and the guy that jumped me got out of said car.
Grrrrrr. I hope they busted all his accomplices too. Ohhh that makes me mad.

I will never understand people. Don't you have something better to do with your time?! There is no other answer except 'yes'.
z20k

Post by z20k »

No offense to anyone still there, but stories like this make me glad I left Atlanta. :?
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

JettaKnight wrote:Glad to hear you're OK - I'm sure it was very traumatic.

With scooters and MCs it's very important to maintain situational awareness when stopped as well as moving. When your stopped the threat is not only a vehicle crashing into you, but four and two legged threats.

Think about these things:
- What a the vehicles behind me doing? (could I get rear ended?)
- Are there possible threats walking near me?
- What going on around me?
- What's my escape plan?

The last one is important. How will you get away when things go south? Could you quickly turn right onto the next street? Perhaps make a U turn? Always leave enough space between you and the car in front for a hasty get away.
Dead on advice.

To add to it. Spend some time doing when/then scenarios in your head. Think when this happens I will do this. Note not to think of them as if/then scenarios. That way if you are ever in a similar situation you have already decided what to do.

Think of what your options to use force are and how you can use. Also consider when you would use them. In my case that involves cuffs, a knife, and a gun. It does not need to be that extreme though. We all have a helmet we can swing at a bad guy. It is easy to say that nothing you own is worth hurting someone over, but sometimes they are after you.

If you run don't run away from danger. Run towards safety. If safety is not immediately obvious run towards lights and sounds (which will usually bring you to people).

Keep your head on a swivel. Always be looking around. If you see something that doesn't look or feel right there is probably a reason for that. If you do see a potential threat at a distance do another quick scan to make sure there isn't another one coming in from another direction. Bad guys often use a distraction to focus your attention to set you up for attack from another. This is similar to what the suspect did when he told Coffeejunkie he needed help. If you do this you will not look like a victim and the badguys are more likely to leave you alone.

Kyle
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Bike-jacking has actually become a bit of a hot new thing in Mesa (our meth-capital of Arizona at the moment). Glad to hear you are ok! Around here it's safe to assume about every other Chinese scooter is stolen either from someone's yard or by jacking them as they ride. It's become a serious issue in the East Valley within the past few months form what I've heard from ASU police who see a lot of that crime bleed into the neighboring city of Tempe.

Had two close calls myself. One guy tried to grab the bike while I was filling at the pump. Column was locked and I was coming out. Luckily by the time I got to him the teamster filling is truck next to me was also there with a rather menacing breaker bar. Bought him a coffee for the trouble.

The second one actually grabbed me while on Mill Ave and University right in the Middle of ASU. Tried to pull me off! Thankfully I saw him (Insane Clown Possee jersey and beanie in 112 degree heat... the markings of a tweaker here) and gunned it up an intersection sidewalk ramp, and then was able to turn it around on the sidewalk. Made sure I was very obvious. The cop downtraffic saw and rode up as the guy tried to run. Caught him and I pressed charges. Turns out the cop saw everything, and reminded the would-be bikejacker that trying to mug someone with a conceal carry permit is probably the most moronic thing he could of done. His eyes went rather wide learning that...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^ Doood, I live just over the Tempe canal from west Mesa, but swear to god we live in parallel universes. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:^^ Doood, I live just over the Tempe canal from west Mesa, but swear to god we live in parallel universes. :)
Do you even realize what goes on in Tempe when you're not looking? For example, you know of The Vue building? Just another college rich kid high rise? Nope.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/reale ... ts-CP.html

And it has only increased in the two years since it's been opened...

At one point, they were averaging 40 to 85 arrests a weekend, and that's in the heart of Tempe. If you want your blow or pills, just go right across the street from the honors dorm.

Also, ever since ASU flattened "frat row", many fraternities have turned to their wealthy backers and have "invaded" many of the small apartment complexes around the campus, forcing out tenants and turning them into their own Animal Houses. The dealers then migrate to the dorms knowing there's a steady supply of wealthy users who want whatever they can get. Just south of Apapche and McLintock and over along the light rail before McLintock, you'll see tons of these places. Many of the students call it "rapetopia" with the constant alcohol and douchebag fueled activity going on over there now. It's really becoming a problem for City and University government.

As for Mesa: just to an apartment review search on ANY apartment in Mesa... just pick one. You will see countless accounts of labs and dealers setting up shop in just about every apartment north of the 60 and just east of the 101. Why do you think I moved to the Grand Avenue district in downtown Phoenix? Because it was SAFER!

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
DevoManchild

Post by DevoManchild »

This is why I hate red lights downtown. I am constantly swiveling my head around to make sure no one is coming at me. Having nice things like scooters and color televisions in this city is a nightmare.
phatch

Post by phatch »

neotrotsky wrote:
Syd wrote:^^ Doood, I live just over the Tempe canal from west Mesa, but swear to god we live in parallel universes. :)
Do you even realize what goes on in Tempe when you're not looking? For example, you know of The Vue building? Just another college rich kid high rise? Nope.

At one point, they were averaging 40 to 85 arrests a weekend, and that's in the heart of Tempe. If you want your blow or pills, just go right across the street from the honors dorm.

Also, ever since ASU flattened "frat row", many fraternities have turned to their wealthy backers and have "invaded" many of the small apartment complexes around the campus, forcing out tenants and turning them into their own Animal Houses. The dealers then migrate to the dorms knowing there's a steady supply of wealthy users who want whatever they can get. Just south of Apapche and McLintock and over along the light rail before McLintock, you'll see tons of these places. Many of the students call it "rapetopia" with the constant alcohol and douchebag fueled activity going on over there now. It's really becoming a problem for City and University government.

As for Mesa: just to an apartment review search on ANY apartment in Mesa... just pick one. You will see countless accounts of labs and dealers setting up shop in just about every apartment north of the 60 and just east of the 101. Why do you think I moved to the Grand Avenue district in downtown Phoenix? Because it was SAFER!
Chandler's cool, minus the lifted trucks and soccer moms in SUVs.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I carry 365 days a year. I most likely would have shot him.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

phatch wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:

Chandler's cool, minus the lifted trucks and soccer moms in SUVs.
I just avoid Chandler for the HOA's. Otherwise it's just a banal suburban wasteland... bleh. So middle-America boring. I've grown to quite like my neighborhood. We have the garden variety homeless, not as many tweakers as one would expect, a great diversity of people and economic classes and some really awesome venues to see stuff.

And, I won't get into the morality of responding to violence with violence at length, but all I will say is don't be so hot to be ready to *say* you would shoot someone until you have to. You soon find out that it's not something you really want to live with, regardless on how right or righteous you think you are or actually may be. Everyone else's response of getting away from the threat first is the smartest course of action. Can't be at harm if you separate the subject who is seeking harm from yourself

lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Sorry but if i get knocked down and then punched then threatened further....of course things like this happen fast and no one truly knows how they will respond me included. When I made the decision to carry a gun I at that moment decided i was willing to kill to protect myself and those I have vowed to protect. Yes it's a yucky decision but I've stared down the barrel of burgler whilst unarmed and don't care to again(and yes we cihased and cornered him and he did time. Going back to the situation. Sitting at a light, i get knocked down then punched in the face, at this point I don't know his intentions I will defend myself if possible. This person could be killer or who knows what. I'm not asking questions , that could be fatal for me. Would I feel bad? Sure. Would I have lifelong remorse, I seriously doubt it. I have family of 5 to care for I'm not interested in a life of grief and poverty for them because some low life wants a free ride in life.

Eye

PGO G-max 220
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:
One more question.....which rpm do you guys have in relation to the top speed?
I have a theory that the Swedish model may have a different roller weight ore something.
The reseller promise that there is no restrictions on the engine.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

lovemysan wrote:Sorry but if i get knocked down and then punched then threatened further....of course things like this happen fast and no one truly knows how they will respond me included. When I made the decision to carry a gun I at that moment decided i was willing to kill to protect myself and those I have vowed to protect. Yes it's a yucky decision but I've stared down the barrel of burgler whilst unarmed and don't care to again(and yes we cihased and cornered him and he did time. Going back to the situation. Sitting at a light, i get knocked down then punched in the face, at this point I don't know his intentions I will defend myself if possible. This person could be killer or who knows what. I'm not asking questions , that could be fatal for me. Would I feel bad? Sure. Would I have lifelong remorse, I seriously doubt it. I have family of 5 to care for I'm not interested in a life of grief and poverty for them because some low life wants a free ride in life.

Eye

PGO G-max 220
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject:
One more question.....which rpm do you guys have in relation to the top speed?
I have a theory that the Swedish model may have a different roller weight ore something.
The reseller promise that there is no restrictions on the engine.

DevoManchild

Post by DevoManchild »

While I would agree, killing someone is justified when they try to steal your scooter under the threat of physical violence (though I suspect you were being sarcastic) - I would be hesitant to shoot someone in Atlanta because of the repercussions - possible legal rigamarole and almost certain violence from the gang that would come looking for payback. The best course of action, unfortunately, is to just assume someone is going to take your things if you give them the opportunity and to learn to be ok with that. :?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Careful, everyone. This thread is going in the wrong direction.
TVB

Post by TVB »

My scooter isn't worth anyone's life.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

TVB wrote:My scooter isn't worth anyone's life.
Get full coverage; the scoot is replaceable. They can take the scoot, but not the memories made with that scoot. Get a new scoot, start a new chapter.

This message brought to you by a guy who's gone back to yell at a motorist who pulled a gun on him. Please have more horse sense than me, okay?

DevoManchild

Post by DevoManchild »

"Get full coverage; the scoot is replaceable. They can take the scoot, but not the memories made with that scoot. Get a new scoot, start a new chapter."

This is probably the more politically correct version of what I was trying to get at. :wink:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

good story. bad things, but a good story :)
Riding is riding
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

You guys are scaring me! The husband and I want to move to Arizona in a couple of years; we lived in Gilbert for a while and were thinking around the same area, but now you guys say Tempe and Mesa are bad!? I don't want to live in a meth lab! Can you tell me any of the GOOD neighborhoods? I'm not a big city girl, so something kind of rural would be preferable.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

persephonelily wrote:You guys are scaring me! The husband and I want to move to Arizona in a couple of years; we lived in Gilbert for a while and were thinking around the same area, but now you guys say Tempe and Mesa are bad!? I don't want to live in a meth lab! Can you tell me any of the GOOD neighborhoods? I'm not a big city girl, so something kind of rural would be preferable.
Gilbert still seems seem pretty nice and Chandler's still pretty good. You could go out to Queen Creek; the commute would be long but the neighborhood hasn't gone to crap.

To the west, Buckeye and Surprise are still decent.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Back on topic: I'm very glad you are ok and the perp was caught!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

persephonelily wrote:You guys are scaring me! The husband and I want to move to Arizona in a couple of years; we lived in Gilbert for a while and were thinking around the same area, but now you guys say Tempe and Mesa are bad!? I don't want to live in a meth lab! Can you tell me any of the GOOD neighborhoods? I'm not a big city girl, so something kind of rural would be preferable.
Mesa is pretty much one big meth lab. While laid off during the first part of the great recession I ended up driving a cab for a few years. During that time, after 10pm I simply would not pick up any fares in Mesa. Even the "decent looking" suburb areas had plenty of stuff going down. If I got a fare out there, I'd drop them off (and ask for cash up front depending on the area) and get the heck back to the better parts of town.

Tempe, while safer, has it's own issues with it being known as home to the biggest party school in the US. There is PLENTY that goes down in Tempe, but more along the lines involving party drugs and alcohol. And, Tempe is no longer a "small town" by any stretch: It rivals a lot of Midwestern cities, and people in Phoenix still consider it a suburb.

Phoenix has actually taken quite a turn for the good in the past 8 years. The city and the police have really focused on many of the right things and have spent a ton of money revitalizing areas like the Grand Avenue, Roosevelt and Van Buren districts. I actually feel far safer in Phoenix than I ever did in the best parts of Mesa. Central Phoenix is definitely where it's at for the arts, strong business investments, trendy yet still affordable housing and generally a more progressive atmosphere. And, you can almost survive without needing a car too much in Phoenix. Grid layout so it's very scooter friendly compared to the rest of the valley.

Chandler, Gilbert and Awatukee are the banal perfect example of cookie-cutter suburbia. Can't exist without a car, all the houses look the same and soccer mom SUV's for as far as the eye can see. But, relatively safe. Just... bleh. I cannot stand suburbs.

Scottsdale: Wannabe Beverly Hills with borrowed money. Nuff said.

Glendale... well, it's *there*. That's about it. Kind of a forgotten bit of the valley.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hey 'neo is Arizona "friendly" to hispanic americans? you know, politically / socially / culturally? any hostility among the ordinary citizenry toward "illegals?"

just asking as i was in a parking lot confrontation with a cager some time ago and pointed out she was in the wrong. she reminded me that "americans have manners" lol

i just figured if i get that in cali, imagine AZ :(

born and raised, 4th gen american here
Riding is riding
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I'm so glad you're ok. that's some scary stuff!!
phatch

Post by phatch »

JHScoot wrote:hey 'neo is Arizona "friendly" to hispanic americans? you know, politically / socially / culturally? any hostility among the ordinary citizenry toward "illegals?"

just asking as i was in a parking lot confrontation with a cager some time ago and pointed out she was in the wrong. she reminded me that "americans have manners" lol

That's some BS. I can't speak for everyone in AZ, but I haven't seen anything like that. There are plenty of rude people anywhere you go, really...
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm not saying Tempe and Mesa are bad. Neo and I obviously travel in different, uh, circles. I'm not saying his experiences did not occur, but generalizations are generalizations (including mine).

Yes, much of the southeast Valley is little more than asphalt farms. Most of the SE valley from I-10 on the west and US60 on the north, out towards Florence and down to the San Tans is now housing; but nice places are to be found. In fact, parts of Gilbert are still nearly rural,
Syd

Post by Syd »

JHScoot wrote:hey 'neo is Arizona "friendly" to hispanic americans? you know, politically / socially / culturally? any hostility among the ordinary citizenry toward "illegals?"

Certain politicians have tried to encourage a distrust of Hispanics, but the person on the street sees people, nothing more.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm temporarily locking this thread so everybody can cool down. I completely and totally understand how the incident that lead to this thread really touched a nerve. I don't say that lightly. I have deep roots in Atlanta, Georgia going back to the late 1800s. However, as I've pointed out in another thread, everybody's nerves are on edge right now, so let's all just chillax and let this matter go for the time being, please.

Thank you.