NSR-what books(if any)are you reading?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I was always an avid reader, but my previous working 90+ hours a week didn't allow for a lot.

I tend to read a ton of nonsense, fiction, non fiction, metaphysics, science...

right now reading:

Hawking's A Brief History of Time/Universe in a Nutshell

My life with Spirits by Lon Milo DuQuette (who is hilarious)

and re-reading Proficient Motorcycling.[/b]
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

TVB wrote: You can fit a lot of books in 2GB. I have the original 2GB wifi Nook, with 40 prose books and a 200-page graphic novel on it, and that's only using 5%. And it's not as if you need to keep all of the books you purchase loaded on the Nook; you can download them, read them, delete them, then download them again if you want to read them again. (Or if you're paranoid about B&N or Amazon going out of business, you can backup the books to your computer.) Unless you must have your entire library with you all the time, 2GB is plenty.
That does make more sense but it seems silly to choke down the onboard capacity that much when memory is so cheap now.

My desire for the 3G is partly because here in the hinterlands, wifi is thin on the ground. Then again, ATT has much less than impressive coverage here so it might not make much difference. If you will forgive a short rant, being in one of the less-populated areas of the country, it frustrates me that the carriers are more concerned with adding another G to their data infrastructure in the cities and are completely unconcerned about the huge stretches of the country without even basic phone coverage.

Sorry for the diversion. :oops:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:My desire for the 3G is partly because here in the hinterlands, wifi is thin on the ground.
All you need for a Nook/Kindle is wifi at home. Buy the books using your computer to access the corresponding web site, turn on the device for a minute or so at home, and it's loaded.
Lash LaRue

Post by Lash LaRue »

I've been reading a lot of Louis Celine lately, just finished "London bridge" ... But I like Proust, Carver, Bukowski... I also read alot of Philosophy like Adorno, Moore, Schopenhauer and so on...
Markfaz

Post by Markfaz »

avonpirate wrote:Just finished Tyler Hamilton's book: The Secret Race. Thinking about it kept me up and thinking last night. The power of ego and illusion and better living through bio-chemistry. Who do I think less of if anyone? and why. As a spectator the excitement of the possibility of super heroes served me well. Wish I made that amount of $, and that I could be as tenacious as they are.
Yeah, that was a great read! I just finished two other completely unrelated books to that one:

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel
Seal of Honor by Gary Williams

Both incredible reads and are related in that Seal of Honor is about a Navy SEAL who received the Medal of Honor for sacrificing himself for his men during an ill-fated mission. That mission is described in great detail in Lone Survivor.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ha! Just finished re-reading the Iliad as I mentioned above, then at the bookstore yesterday I found a book titled The War that Killed Achilles by Caroline Alexander.

The theme of it is "what are the real lessons of war?"

It gives a lot of context through archeology and references to other contemporary works. Sure clears up a lot of questions. Apparently Homer saw no need to explain a lot of stuff because the people of his time knew the things he was alluding to.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

skully93: is that Steven Hawkings? If so have u seen his rapp music?
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

just finished "the alchemist"by Paolo Coelho.great book especially if you are running into obstacles in life.really leaves you in a great mood.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Devil Red by Joe R. Lansdale, not maybe one of his best... And Apprecticed to Spirit by David Spangler. R
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just finished Pirate Latitudes ... Michael Crichton's final novel. I'm a huge Crichton fan and while this may not appeal to all, I enjoyed it and as with most of his books, I had a difficult time putting it down.

Has anyone read "Killing Kennedy"? It was highly recommended by a co-worker, but I really don't want to get into another of those conspiracy theory things.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Southerner wrote:About the ereaders, I've decided that I want an e-ink device, since I have a tablet and find it too heavy and the battery life too short to be useful to me as a book. The newest devices like the Nook Glo-light and the upcoming Kindle Paperwhite are what hold my interest the most.
I'm still using one of the early versions of the Kindle. I'm looking at the Paperwhite because of the backlight feature. However the Kindle Fire isn't all that much more expensive. I've honestly never seen the Fire in person. I'm assuming it also can be read without external lighting ... similar to an Ipad????

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Cloud Atlas.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I'm now reading Bad Monkeys which is essentially a sci-fi Catcher in the Rye. A pretty fun and easy read.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance .... Who the he'll is phaedrus???? Is there a Cliff Notes on this book? Some makes sense other pages???? Help!!!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

anthony

Post by anthony »

avonpirate wrote:Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance .... Who the he'll is phaedrus???? Is there a Cliff Notes on this book? Some makes sense other pages???? Help!!!
incredible book! you'll know who phaedrus is in time; just be patient.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Rob wrote:
Southerner wrote:About the ereaders, I've decided that I want an e-ink device, since I have a tablet and find it too heavy and the battery life too short to be useful to me as a book. The newest devices like the Nook Glo-light and the upcoming Kindle Paperwhite are what hold my interest the most.
I'm still using one of the early versions of the Kindle. I'm looking at the Paperwhite because of the backlight feature. However the Kindle Fire isn't all that much more expensive. I've honestly never seen the Fire in person. I'm assuming it also can be read without external lighting ... similar to an Ipad????

Rob
The Paperwhite isn't backlit (no matter how the reviews are written). Unless you call under the glass, but on top of the 'display' backlighting. Like the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, the Paperwhite has LEDs that light the text display. Just slightly better than the new Nook.

I was just comparing them in person over the weekend, because I have discovered that finding good lighting at my house in the evenings is harder than I thought it would be.

One major disappointment in the new Nook w/Glowlight is that the new Nook has dropped support for .txt and .html files; indeed every file format except ePub and pdf. The Kindle, on the other hand, has higher resolution (1024x768 vs 800x600 for the Nook), tuned fonts and better lighting of the page's surface; as well as support for html and .txt file formats. But the Nook has a micro SDHC card slot, so that it can handle an additional 32GB to store stuff.

The Kindle Fire, like the iPad, I think, is backlit, which makes them good in the dark but no good in the light of day. Plus, color and backlighting lessen battery life and are a distraction if all you want to do is to read a book.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

I just finished Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book by Tom Spurgeon, a biography of the 90-year-old living legend who was instrumental to the success of Marvel Comics... but not quite so single-handedly as he makes it sound. The book basically describes Stan The Man as the kind of character that he introduced into comics: a larger than life hero with feet of clay.

I've just started an ebook called 43*: When Gore Beat Bush – A Political Fable by alternate-history writer Jeff Greenfield, in which the Elián González incident unfolded differently, which led to a different outcome in the Florida electoral vote in 2000.... It's not a propaganda piece (President Gore doesn't appear to be saving the whole planet so far), but instead an interesting speculation on what might have happened differently... and not. I will say no more. :)
Last edited by TVB on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:I'm still using one of the early versions of the Kindle. I'm looking at the Paperwhite because of the backlight feature. However the Kindle Fire isn't all that much more expensive. I've honestly never seen the Fire in person. I'm assuming it also can be read without external lighting ... similar to an Ipad????
Regardless of whatever they try to do to get around it, the two kinds of displays currently available boil down to this trade-off: COLOR is backlit, which is great in low light and not-so-good in bright light; B&W is frontlit, which is the opposite.
TVB

Post by TVB »

avonpirate wrote:Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance .... Who the he'll is phaedrus???? Is there a Cliff Notes on this book? Some makes sense other pages???? Help!!!
Just take your time with it. I won't say that "all becomes clear", but... a lot of it will. :)
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Rob wrote:

Rob
I have Kindle Fire. Using it to type this, as a matter of fact. I really like it. Yes it is a completely stripped down tablet and any apps outside Amazon have to be sideloaded through another Aneroid device. I use our local library to download the books I want to read and although many have a waiting period it is still worth it. I have not looked at the new HD Kindle. This one I got a great deal on last year. Amazon was allowing people to use some credit card cash back rewards towards purchase of the new Kindle. Mine ended up under $70.00. Almost forgot. I also use it for Netflix, music videos, facebook, etc.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Nova by Samuel Delany, I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margerete Craven and I Say Sunrise by Talbot Munday
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

"Flight of the Storks" by Jean-Christophe Grange, at the heavy insistence of two co-workers.

Amazon Link
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

just finished think and grow rich(napolean hill)and starting keys to success.I really need to get one of those e readers as i hate to throw away books.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Syd wrote:The Paperwhite isn't backlit (no matter how the reviews are written). Unless you call under the glass, but on top of the 'display' backlighting. Like the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, the Paperwhite has LEDs that light the text display. Just slightly better than the new Nook.

I was just comparing them in person over the weekend, because I have discovered that finding good lighting at my house in the evenings is harder than I thought it would be.

One major disappointment in the new Nook w/Glowlight is that the new Nook has dropped support for .txt and .html files; indeed every file format except ePub and pdf. The Kindle, on the other hand, has higher resolution (1024x768 vs 800x600 for the Nook), tuned fonts and better lighting of the page's surface; as well as support for html and .txt file formats. But the Nook has a micro SDHC card slot, so that it can handle an additional 32GB to store stuff.

The Kindle Fire, like the iPad, I think, is backlit, which makes them good in the dark but no good in the light of day. Plus, color and backlighting lessen battery life and are a distraction if all you want to do is to read a book.
Thanks for the reply. I have the "good lighting at my house" issue as well. Particularly when my wife is trying to sleep in bed (although she has no problem watching TV when that situation is reversed :?) I do have a clip on external light for the Kindle, but it really doesn't light the screen very evenly. In your opinion, is the Paperwhile lighting sufficient for reading in bed?
TVB wrote:Regardless of whatever they try to do to get around it, the two kinds of displays currently available boil down to this trade-off: COLOR is backlit, which is great in low light and not-so-good in bright light; B&W is frontlit, which is the opposite.
The frontlit B&W isn't a great option for reading in bed?
Stormswift wrote:I have Kindle Fire. Using it to type this, as a matter of fact. I really like it. Yes it is a completely stripped down tablet and any apps outside Amazon have to be sideloaded through another Aneroid device. I use our local library to download the books I want to read and although many have a waiting period it is still worth it. I have not looked at the new HD Kindle. This one I got a great deal on last year. Amazon was allowing people to use some credit card cash back rewards towards purchase of the new Kindle. Mine ended up under $70.00. Almost forgot. I also use it for Netflix, music videos, facebook, etc.
At some point I hope to consolidate some of my many devices (laptop, Kindle, IPad, IPhone and probably soon enough a Microsoft Surface and a Macbook Air (or some sort of Ultrabook). I seem to be heading the wrong direction with that consolidation.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:The Kindle Fire, like the iPad, I think, is backlit, which makes them good in the dark but no good in the light of day. Plus, color and backlighting lessen battery life and are a distraction if all you want to do is to read a book.
Yes, the Kindle Fire is essentially another tablet with a color LCD screen. And that doesn't just "lessen" battery life, it changes the ballgame. An eInk display such as the standard Kindle or Nook has a battery life of up to 3 weeks. The tablets have a battery life more like 8 hours or so.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dooglas wrote:
Syd wrote:The Kindle Fire, like the iPad, I think, is backlit, which makes them good in the dark but no good in the light of day. Plus, color and backlighting lessen battery life and are a distraction if all you want to do is to read a book.
Yes, the Kindle Fire is essentially another tablet with a color LCD screen. And that doesn't just "lessen" battery life, it changes the ballgame. An eInk display such as the standard Kindle or Nook has a battery life of up to 3 weeks.*
*If you read for a half hour a day. Who reads for only a half hour a day?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:
TVB wrote:Regardless of whatever they try to do to get around it, the two kinds of displays currently available boil down to this trade-off: COLOR is backlit, which is great in low light and not-so-good in bright light; B&W is frontlit, which is the opposite.
I haven't seen how well the built-in lights work on the latest B&W eInk Kindle or Nook, but they're never going to be as easy to read in (semi)darkness as a backlit LCD.
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:
Rob wrote:
I haven't seen how well the built-in lights work on the latest B&W eInk Kindle or Nook, but they're never going to be as easy to read in (semi)darkness as a backlit LCD.
Take a look, especially at the Kindle Paperwhite. Plenty of light to read, but not so much to mess with your eyes. Adjustable to your preferences too. You may change your mind.
JAEGER

Post by JAEGER »

Charles Bukowski, "Slouching Toward Nirvana." Annoyed I haven't read more Bukowski before now.

--Jaeger
"Exterminate all rational thought. That is the conclusion I have come to." -- Bill Lee, Naked Lunch
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 // 2013 Genuine Buddy 125
www.blackletter.org
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Haven't had a lot of time but currently reading through "The New Evidense that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell.

Some books I really like and recommend:

The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Silverlock by John Myers Myers
King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild
Click, Clack, Moo; Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin
The Theodore Roosevelt trilogy by Edmund Morris
I pretty much only read non-fiction now and leave the fiction to the voices in my head but I am reading "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" to learn how to make decent bread.
Beer Bread

3cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12oz beer (cheaper is better; I find Coors to be very good)

Mix in breadpan
Cook in oven 1 hour at 350 degrees
Eat
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Silverlock I have given a few copys of that one to my friends!
R
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Silverlock I have given a few copys of that one to my friends!
Yes, I regularly have to hunt up a "new"copy at the used book store. It's just a very entertaining book!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Necessary reading for anyone who ponders life, especially if you ride on 2 wheels.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Soldier in the Mist by Gene Wolfe
Tom

Post by Tom »

TVB wrote:
Southerner wrote:My desire for the 3G is partly because here in the hinterlands, wifi is thin on the ground.
All you need for a Nook/Kindle is wifi at home. Buy the books using your computer to access the corresponding web site, turn on the device for a minute or so at home, and it's loaded.
Yep, and whichever you buy, download Calibre too. That way you won't be so locked in to one source of books. Calibre will keep your collection on your computer and can change file types for you if you wind up with a different e-reader in the future.

Edit: I'm reading a few books right now- One is non-fiction on the history of caviar, another is Cannery Row (for my book club), and the Complete Sherlock Holmes. Just finished American Gods for a second time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Right now, Racketeer by John Grisham. Eh.

I have a dilemma in that I really like the new Kindle Paperwhite more than the Nook with Glowlight, but I have some $ left on some B&N gift cards, and some books already purchased through B&N. I wonder if there is a way to transfer them to someone else?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Syd wrote:Right now, Racketeer by John Grisham. Eh.

I have a dilemma in that I really like the new Kindle Paperwhite more than the Nook with Glowlight, but I have some $ left on some B&N gift cards, and some books already purchased through B&N. I wonder if there is a way to transfer them to someone else?
Perfect application for Calibre! Buy any ereader you like, you can still buy books from B&N, load them onto the Kindle via Calibre. I know this works with some platforms, pretty sure it will work for you. You might check before you buy the books of course. Calibre is a free download and they update it often. I have given them a little donation when I downloaded, but that's up to you if you want to do the same..
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tom wrote:
Syd wrote:Right now, Racketeer by John Grisham. Eh.

Perfect application for Calibre! Buy any ereader you like, you can still buy books from B&N, load them onto the Kindle via Calibre. I know this works with some platforms, pretty sure it will work for you. You might check before you buy the books of course. Calibre is a free download and they update it often. I have given them a little donation when I downloaded, but that's up to you if you want to do the same..
I looked at Calibre, but there is no portable version, or a version that lets me put it the directory of my choice and won't right stuff all over. I've been using ADE (Adobe Digital Editions), which at least puts most of it crap in my profile and HKCU. I'm picky about stuff like this.

Also, I have my doubts about whether anything would be able to migrate a file with DRM from B&N to a file with DRM suitable for the Amazon. But who knows?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ah! Looks like you are right. But some of the books can be had DRM free from B&N's store. Here's the thread I read on it. Maybe just be sure you buy some without DRM?

EDIT: Nope, never mind. Reading comprehension error on my part. I guess there is stripping DRM still then converting to epub, but I admit that's more effort and risk than I would go after. Lot's of relevant information here nonetheless.
There is always the option of using which ever is your favorite tablet and the application that goes with any particular store. I don't like this either though, as I'm partial to reading e-ink.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93318
Tom

Post by Tom »

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Recently finished "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden" and about to read "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10".
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tom wrote:And then there's this option..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5hc_T_gmHA
Ha! I'm as geeked out as the best of them, and really understand the 'because (maybe) I can' view, but... nah, I think I'll just look into re-gifting the Nook and if I can transfer the books to the giftee.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Just read "Shame The Devil" by George Pelecanos last week; not bad, but it makes me wish Raymond Chandler were still alive.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

The Longest Ride: My Ten-Year 500, 000 Mile Motorcycle Journey [Emilio Scotto] I'm about half-way through and not real impressed.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
mattgordon

Books?

Post by mattgordon »

Does MAD Magazine count?

Oh, and "The Master of Disguise-My Secret Life In The CIA"
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Howardr wrote:The Longest Ride: My Ten-Year 500, 000 Mile Motorcycle Journey [Emilio Scotto] I'm about half-way through and not real impressed.

Howard

His motorcycle The Black Princess, and in fact much about him can be seen in Laughlin NV at the museum located inside the Riverside Hotel and Casino.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Pete_M

Post by Pete_M »

I just started Makeup to Breakup- By Peter Criss. I never really liked the band Kiss, but I heard his memoir is hilarious.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

AW, MAN !!!

I'm reading Dale Brown's 'A Time For Patriots' this afternoon, and on p. 280 young MacLanahan climbs aboard his GENUINE BUDDY and heads for a football practice. And on p. 281 two badasses run over it with a car!!
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just finished another Michael Crichton novel ... "The Great Train Robbery". Another very good read by Crichton.

I hadn't read this in the past as I always assumed a wild west scenario that didn't appeal to me. How wrong I was. This was based on an actual event, a highly publicized robbery in the Victorian England and was another of those books that I had a hard time putting down.

On another note, I did upgrade my original Kindle to the Paperwhite. That was money well spent for the front-lit display if nothing else. The only drawbacks were that I didn't realize it didn't come with a charger (although you can charge from your computer USB) and the cheaper version (the one I originally purchased) comes with annoying advertisements that occasionally display on the screen. I returned the cheaper version and got the ad free version ($20 more) and a $10 charger adapter and all is well.

Rob
- Steven Wright