Long time lurker, First time poster

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JR

Post by JR »

First of all, I want to say what a genuine (ha) resource this forum has been for me over the last year or so. From the first time I saw a Stella, I knew I needed one. There wasn't a ton of information on the internet about Stellas, until I found this site.

Through you guys, I spent a year going over the mental roller coaster of information discovery. I learned about all the quirks of the scooter, read reviews, read people's horror stories, I even mentally taught myself to shift before ever laying hands on an actual vehicle. Sure enough, the first time I went to release the clutch, it was smooth as silk thanks to the advice I read and re-read on this site.

So I bought a 2012 Stella 4T in green. Two days ago. I owned a little 2002 Yamaha Vino a while back, and I really missed scooting around on it. I knew that the Stella would have far more kick than the Vino, and boy was I right!

Shifting has been pretty easy so far. I'm still not very graceful with it, but I can definitely get the job done. The most difficult part for me is once I'm in 2nd gear, not really being able to tell exactly when to shift into 3rd. By the time I'm going 20 or so MPH, the wind is so loud in my ears that it's tough to LISTEN for when I should shift, and the scooter is so new, I can't really FEEL when to shift because I don't quite know what the engine should feel like yet! I'll get it mastered though. Either way, I'm just riding loops around my neighborhood for now. Not quite confident enough to venture out onto a real road with real traffic until I take the Motorcycle Safety Class. Which will be soon!

Just wanted to say howdy from Dallas.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats!

Now...one MB rule...you are required to post photos of your new scoot! :mrgreen:

As far as shifting...a little more practice and you will be rolling right through them!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Hello. and welcome :D The Stellas sure look good.
JR

Post by JR »

Pics attached- it's just a stock green Stella. I've ordered a black seat, because I think that looks way cooler, even if it's hotter on sunny days. Also going to deck it out in some WWII garb. A white star, the name of my Granddad's unit, etc etc. So these are far from what it'll ultimately look like!

<p>
<p>
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Shifting on the 4T is the one thing that's keeping me away from getting one the most. The clutch is absolutely butter smooth and almost as good as my cosa clutch, but I am so used to shift by engine noise that the 4t is almost unsettling to me.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Just get a digital tach. They are fairly cheap.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

On my 4T you can still hear when it's time to shift up.

When I'm riding in a pack of 2T's I cant hear my bike so then It's shifting by feel :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Welcome! Just curious, but what dealer did you buy from?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

JR-
Based on your pic it looks like you got your Stella from Moxie in Colleyville. Great dealer prep and service. I got mine there in July and got 1600 miles on her now. The upholstery shop next door is customizing the pad on my sissy bar should be ready in a few days.

I ride with the Blue Meanies who meet at Moxie on Saturday mornings. You should come out some time. I've posted videos of our rides on the "Rallies/events/meetups" tab

Also on the weekend of Oct 6 there is a Rally in Dallas for vintage scooters & shiftys. You can find info for that rally on dfwscooterist.com.

Welcome to the shifty side of things, scoot on!
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
JR

Post by JR »

Ericalm and Socky-

Yup- I got it from Moxie. Socky, it was your reviews of Moxie that got me to go there vs. the other dealer here in town. I've watched several of your videos and had planned on getting in touch with you sooner or later. That said, I live in North Dallas near the Galleria, so I won't be able to join you guys on any rides until I outfit my car with some method of towing this scoot over to Colleyville. I'm definitely not going to ride the Stella down 635! And "side roads" get pretty scarce around the airport. :)

Oct 6- that's the weekend I'm taking my Motorcycle class! I'll probably be all scootered out, and won't want to hit the rally, but you never know!

Took the Stella out again yesterday and took it all the way up to 40mph. I'm slowly growing some balls! It's definitely another world compared to my old Vino. Next stop, 45 mph! Varooom!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Gotta love them Stellas!!!
JR

Post by JR »

I envy all you California riders. You have so many great riding days in a year. Here in Dallas we get about a month between blistering heat and freezing cold! There's nothing worse than taking off your helmet and it makes a slurping suction noise from all the sweat!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

JR wrote:I envy all you California riders. You have so many great riding days in a year. Here in Dallas we get about a month between blistering heat and freezing cold! There's nothing worse than taking off your helmet and it makes a slurping suction noise from all the sweat!
Depends on where in California you live. I live in the Mojave desert so in the summer it gets blistering hot and in the winter it's bone chilling cold....
JR

Post by JR »

Got my black seat in and installed. My first time taking a tool to my Stella.

In my "shopping" phase, I was completely worried that I wouldn't be able to find a black seat with the Genuine logo on the back. The green Stella- well I fell in love with the first pics I saw a few years ago, and those pics were of the 2T model with the black seat. It completely fed into my obsession with vintage war bikes. When they started using the brown seat, I was a little sad and worried. I scoured the net for replacement seats, but even the very few sites that had them wouldn't show me a picture!

So I was completely relieved when I was at the dealership window-shopping, and casually mentioned to the sales guy that I wasn't really in love with the brown seats, he just said, "Oh- we can get you a black one, no problem."

All those months of worrying and searching, all for nothing!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It looks soooo much better with the black seat imo. I dislike the brown seats!!
GeorgeP1111

Post by GeorgeP1111 »

Stitch wrote:Just get a digital tach. They are fairly cheap.
Where do you get a digital tach for a single cylinder 4-stroke engine? I've been looking for one for a few years now and have not found any other than one that was wireless (and the reviews I read on it were not too encouraging). Usually the auto tune-up ones are a minimum of 4 cylinders. I have a mechanical tach I can use on my 1968 Honda S90 but would like to find a analog or digital one for future use.

tnx
George
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

http://trailtech.net/tto.html

I'm running the Cht and tach. Both seem to work pretty well.
Cheap, functional, easy to install.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Anything for a Super Motard bike would probably work since those are all 4 stroke 1 cylinder bikes.
GeorgeP1111

Post by GeorgeP1111 »

<http://trailtech.net/tto.html>

Thanks for this, I must have missed it when I was looking last year. I did watch the video installation video and it seems to be simple enough. One reviewer on Amazon said his tach was 600 rpm low on idle (300 vs 900) and 1000 high on the top end (10,000 vs 9,000), not sure if they all suffer from this or just his.

Tnx agn for the info, I'll probably pick one of these up.

George
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It has different settings for sample rates.
JR

Post by JR »

Well it's been about a month, and i'm still mostly just riding around neighborhoods. I've gotten the Stella up to about 46 mph on a few "real" roads, which is ok, but I generally prefer putting along at 30 and enjoying the scenery. This means I tend to stay out of traffic. Fortunately for me, Dallas was laid out with some of the longest neighborhood streets I've ever seen.

I notice that I'm shifting into 2nd gear around 5-7 mph, 3rd gear around 18-20 mph, and 4th gear right before 30 mph. If I try to push it farther on any given gear, I get the serious rattles and my glove box spring makes an awful noise. (That spring actually rattles a lot anyway. I'd love any advice on silencing that.) I realize I'm still breaking it in (only about 250 miles on it so far) but I imagine my "shift points" will change as the engine gets more worn in, correct?

I'm also having issues still with shifting into 1st at stops. I've tried the tricks like rolling the throttle just a bit, and that definitely helps. But honestly, I can't wait to take the bike in for its first service, because I'm positive the clutch needs tightening. There's just nothing about shifting that seems precise, even after 250 miles of practice.

Still, I'm having a ball. This is so much more fun than my old Yamaha Vino (2002). It's got the ability to go faster if I ever need it to, but it definitely likes taking it slow as well.

Any Dallas riders in the Galleria area out there?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

JR wrote:I'm also having issues still with shifting into 1st at stops. I've tried the tricks like rolling the throttle just a bit, and that definitely helps. But honestly, I can't wait to take the bike in for its first service, because I'm positive the clutch needs tightening. There's just nothing about shifting that seems precise, even after 250 miles of practice.
JR, try releasing the clutch just a little bit when shifting to first. It'll nudge the gears a bit on the output shaft and then the shifter should slip in more easily.

EDIT: Fixed quote frame.
Last edited by az_slynch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If your having trouble getting into 1st try rocking back and forth a little. It's a really primative tranny so no syncros. If once you get it into gear and it starts to creep forward with the clutch pulled in then yeah...cables need adjusting. They might need adjusting anyway as new ones stretch.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JR

Post by JR »

Thanks AZ- I will try that in just a few hours!
JR

Post by JR »

BuddyRaton wrote:If your having trouble getting into 1st try rocking back and forth a little. It's a really primative tranny so no syncros. If once you get it into gear and it starts to creep forward with the clutch pulled in then yeah...cables need adjusting. They might need adjusting anyway as new ones stretch.
Buddy- I'm actually trying to get it into first before I even come to a complete stop. I've done the rocking thing while AT a complete stop, and that does help. It just doesn't seem to wanna let me put it into first when I'm still rolling a little, with the clutch engaged. Not without a fight anyway! It's not a huge problem unless a car is behind me at a stop sign. I don't have time to wrestle with it under those circumstances! :)
JBenjimin

Post by JBenjimin »

JR wrote: If I try to push it farther on any given gear, I get the serious rattles and my glove box spring makes an awful noise. (That spring actually rattles a lot anyway. I'd love any advice on silencing that.)
Not sure if the spring you are talking about is the same one as on the 2T(on the right hand side running from near the door to the side of the box near the blinker) if it is, tuck the tool kit behind it. Keeps the tool kit from rattling around too.
JR

Post by JR »

JBenjimin wrote:
JR wrote: If I try to push it farther on any given gear, I get the serious rattles and my glove box spring makes an awful noise. (That spring actually rattles a lot anyway. I'd love any advice on silencing that.)
Not sure if the spring you are talking about is the same one as on the 2T(on the right hand side running from near the door to the side of the box near the blinker) if it is, tuck the tool kit behind it. Keeps the tool kit from rattling around too.
Actually, I mean the spring that is inside the glove box lock mechanism. That whole lock mechanism sounds like it's rattling bigtime, but when I look at it. only the spring inside the little locker thing.
JBenjimin

Post by JBenjimin »

JR wrote:Actually, I mean the spring that is inside the glove box lock mechanism. That whole lock mechanism sounds like it's rattling bigtime, but when I look at it. only the spring inside the little locker thing.
Never mind then. :)
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I too have had trouble getting into first from a stop, even rocking the bike back and forth (sometimes I even have trouble downshifting to 2nd on a rolling stop). However it does seem to be getting a little easier after 100 miles. Since I'm in SF I'm using the clutch and gears A LOT, so maybe it's loosening up faster than yours.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

quen047 wrote:I too have had trouble getting into first from a stop, even rocking the bike back and forth (sometimes I even have trouble downshifting to 2nd on a rolling stop). However it does seem to be getting a little easier after 100 miles. Since I'm in SF I'm using the clutch and gears A LOT, so maybe it's loosening up faster than yours.
Have you tried loosening your grip on the clutch while twisting into first? This sometimes works.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JR

Post by JR »

Well I'm happy to report that loosening my death grip on the clutch not only helps me downshift into first gear, but it also seems to make it easier to downshift into ALL gears. Great tip, guys!

Now, one last thing that's bothering me- I have about 250 miles on this thing, and I've already had to fill up FOUR times. That seems like a lot for a machine that's supposed to get 100 miles to the gallon, right?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

@JR: Have you switched to reserve or just saw it low and refueled? A lot has to do with how much weight, like crash bars, rack, ect. is on the bike and if your speed while riding. All of that may be why your not getting the gas milage...
Last edited by Drum Pro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I got my 4T in July and she has about 2200 miles on her now. My shift/gear speed bands have seemed to increase over the last 500-600 miles. 1st goes up to almost 10mph. 2nd up to 20mph. 3rd up to 30-34mph. And 4th up to 60mph. All these speeds are indicated by the speedometer not by an external device i.e. GPS.

I've been averaging about 100mpg with cowl covers, front fender bar, 3way rear rack. I fill up about every 75 miles just before needing to switch over to my reserve.

Broke her in like she was stolen and she rides like a gem.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JR wrote:Well I'm happy to report that loosening my death grip on the clutch not only helps me downshift into first gear, but it also seems to make it easier to downshift into ALL gears. Great tip, guys!
Good to hear!
Drum Pro wrote:@JR: Have you switched to reserve or just saw it low and refueled? A lot has to do with how much weight, like crash bars, rack, ect. is on the bike and if your speed while riding. All of that may be why your not getting the gas milage...
Also tire pressure. That helps with many things, actually.
JR

Post by JR »

About the gas issue: two separate times, I literally ran out of gas while driving down a road, and had to switch to the reserve tank on the move. My gas gauge is still working well, so I decided to start using it and never run out on the move again! So the last two times I've filled up, I was being a little more cautious. But still, four fillups in 200 miles is pretty easy math to do. I'm getting about 50 MPG. Look it's not the end of the world when it only costs you a buck to fill up, but still I'd like to know whether this is normal maybe for the break-in period.

Also- Every time I've checked my tire pressure, it's been right at about 30. I've had to put air in the tires once, but even then it was only down to maybe 28 psi.
JR

Post by JR »

Also, yes- I'm 6'2" 210lbs of lean Texan, so that might have a lot to do with lower gas mileage. :)
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Yup, lightening the grip on the clutch is helping with my shifting too. Thanks!
JR

Post by JR »

New Pics- I added the white star decals to bring the WWII look home. The pinup girl on the front is one of 3 girly magnets I had made so I can keep swapping those out.

quen047

Post by quen047 »

Nice! That color with the black seats sans chrome bits looks absolutely perfect for a military theme. I love the unadorned look, but I added the cowl bars (and rear rack) knowing that in the city I would probably crash it once, which I already did with minimal damage as detailed on a earlier thread. I've since added a quick-release milk crate for the rear rack that I will get pics of later today.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (188.24 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
sippin.fnordies

Post by sippin.fnordies »

I've put about 800 miles on mine. I was consistently getting 50-60mpg when it was new. Fuel economy has been steadily increasing as I rack up miles though and I'm averaging about 75-80mpg now, but I tend to have a heavy hand on the throttle. The shifting has gotten considerably smoother as well, especially in terms of down shifting and getting it into 1st.
I followed a "hard" break-in schedule as outlined here:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I've used this technique before and it really does yield fantastic results.
JR

Post by JR »

Quen- Great looking bike! I will probably end up putting a front bumper on mine as well as some cowl protectors. I just haven't gotten around to buying them yet. You're right, the chrome ones might detract from the classic war-bike look I'm going for. I could do the black ones, though. We'll just have to see.

Sippin- thanks for those stats. That puts my mind at ease a little about the crappy gas mileage I'm getting.

The other new thing is that the starter or battery might be on the blink. I usually get about one chance to start it with the electric start from cold. If it doesn't take the first time, I end up having to kick start it (which is more fun anyway.) After I kick start it, each subsequent start during that day is fine using the electric starter. It's just that first time, it doesn't want to do it. The next day, same deal.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JR wrote:The other new thing is that the starter or battery might be on the blink. I usually get about one chance to start it with the electric start from cold. If it doesn't take the first time, I end up having to kick start it (which is more fun anyway.) After I kick start it, each subsequent start during that day is fine using the electric starter. It's just that first time, it doesn't want to do it. The next day, same deal.
Are you using the choke? They're fairly warm blooded and harder to start in the mornings when the weather starts to cool.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I'm having almost exactly the same problem with electric start- in fact I was going to start a thread about that. Even when the bike is warm-ish I can struggle to start it, choke or no choke.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hm, when warm I usually have no problems. If you have a voltage meter you can try testing the output when the scooter's running and under load.
sippin.fnordies

Post by sippin.fnordies »

Mine was doing the exact same thing...electric start would work sometime but not others. it kicked over every time though, until this morning. I've tried everything and it just won't go. Seems to have fuel and compression is good, getting spark but I suspect a weak coil. I also found out that my battery is flat. I ride my scooter everyday and I have a feeling that the intermittent starter stuff had to do with a low/dead battery.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

sippin.fnordies wrote:Mine was doing the exact same thing...electric start would work sometime but not others. it kicked over every time though, until this morning. I've tried everything and it just won't go. Seems to have fuel and compression is good, getting spark but I suspect a weak coil. I also found out that my battery is flat. I ride my scooter everyday and I have a feeling that the intermittent starter stuff had to do with a low/dead battery.
Check the coil wire where it mates with the coil and with the plug boot. I've found this wire is pretty mediocre and prone to loosening. The wire fits onto a threaded barb on the coil and in the plug boot; twist the wire clockwise...if it turns, keep twisting until it seats. If the wire doesn't seat, unscrew it and clip 1/4" off the end of the wire, then screw it back on. Repeat for the plug boot if needed. Make sure the plug boot clips tightly to the plug, too. Otherwise, the good NGK plug boots are available at most motorcycle shops, the part code is LD05FP.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sippin.fnordies wrote:Mine was doing the exact same thing...electric start would work sometime but not others. it kicked over every time though, until this morning. I've tried everything and it just won't go. Seems to have fuel and compression is good, getting spark but I suspect a weak coil. I also found out that my battery is flat. I ride my scooter everyday and I have a feeling that the intermittent starter stuff had to do with a low/dead battery.
A lot of short rides will run these guys down pretty quickly. You may need a Battery Tender. Or use electric in the morning and kickstart occasionally throughout the day.

I have run my battery down to almost nothing but been able to kickstart it and revive it later with a Tender.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

On that note, I also have a great deal of trouble kickstarting. I usually find myself having to roll it down the street and throw it in 2nd to get it going. Any ideas? Should I have it in gear or in neutral?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Neutral. You shouldn't have to roll start it!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Neutral, and don't touch the clutch for kickstart.