Intro and some questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tam

Intro and some questions

Post by tam »

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a week or so. Beginning of last week I saw a Vino for sale on the local craigslist, and while doing some research on it, I linked through some sites and discovered the Buddy. Read the few reviews there are, read nearly every post on here, and decided to just take the plunge. The local BMW dealership here sells em, so I headed over on Wednesday and testrode an orange one for a couple minutes. They had 2 orange ones, one cream and one pink in the showroom. To me, black isn't noticable enough (safety-wise), orange was just a little too orange, and the pink, well.... it's pink.. (in case you can't tell from my username, i'm a guy ;) )

So today I did all the paperwork, and tomorrow they're going to deliver my new cream Buddy. First one they've sold, so far, and they really don't know anything about them yet. Not very comforting, considering the threads on here about overfilling of oil etc, but they have always taken good care of my (non-BMW) motorcycles, and they're not too far away if something does go wrong..

On to the questions.. The manual doesn't have the handlebar turnsignals in it. The buddy obviously does have them now, but I'm confused about the flush turnsignals that are in the front of the bike, above the fender. Do they actually do anything? Are they hooked up? The dealer couldn't get them to go on, and also didn't know what they were for. Has anything removed the handlebar turnsignals and hooked em to the flush ones instead?
Also, in the front plastics, there are these two tabs that look like you're supposed to push em out, so you can mount something on it. Anyone have any idea what exactly that would be? Doesn't look like Genuine has too many accessories yet, and none for the front, right? So why do the buddies have these two ugly lil holes there?

And a quick note to the Admin: Thanks for setting up this place, it helped me decide to get a Buddy instead of something else. That said, as the place will grow, it's going to get harder to find specific topics. Have you considered splitting up the General into a 'Performance', 'Technical issues', 'Accessories', etc sections? It'll be easier for people to find, as more and more threads are created. I have a forum myself, and once you hit so many threads, splitting it up in specific sections really helps to clean up the place, and keep it more userfriendly..
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Hello Tam and welcome to the group!

I will try to answer the questions as best I can.

The handlebar turn signals are a DOT requirement as far as I know to make the buddy road compliant. The flush signals are the stock turnsignals and are not hooked up. There are a few people on this board that have acutally reconnected them and have removed the handlebar turn signals. Search around these post and you will find them.

The two holes in front of the buddy are for accessories which everyone here I think is still waiting for. There is supposed to be a front basket and or front rack that will probably utilize those two punch outs.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your buddy!
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I took the plunge today as well. With a Cream buddy. I'll be bringing him home Thusday.

I only have my permit, so the guy who sold me the bike said he'd accompany me home after the shop closes. Thanks Trey!!

I'm setting an anchor in concrete tomorrow and driving it home on Thursday.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
tam

Post by tam »

thanks for the welcome

I thought the signals might be DOT-related. I can see how the flush ones would be too low for any car to be noticed....

I forgot this in my original post, but for insurance purposes, mine showed up as a Genuine Stella 150, at Geico (where i currently have cycle insurance). Is that the same for everyone else? Does the extra 25cc mean an increase in insurance $$ as well? I'm not complaining because I pay about $255 for 2 bikes for the entire year, but just curious...
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

tam wrote: I forgot this in my original post, but for insurance purposes, mine showed up as a Genuine Stella 150, at Geico (where i currently have cycle insurance). Is that the same for everyone else? Does the extra 25cc mean an increase in insurance $$ as well? I'm not complaining because I pay about $255 for 2 bikes for the entire year, but just curious...
I just got my policy info from Nationwide last friday so this is still fresh on my mind. Mine says: Genuine Scooter Company 125cc Scooter

Then it has the vin number and some other info listed.
bwilms

Re: Intro and some questions

Post by bwilms »

tam wrote:On to the questions.. The manual doesn't have the handlebar turnsignals in it. The buddy obviously does have them now, but I'm confused about the flush turnsignals that are in the front of the bike, above the fender. Do they actually do anything? Are they hooked up? The dealer couldn't get them to go on, and also didn't know what they were for. Has anything removed the handlebar turnsignals and hooked em to the flush ones instead?
Check out this thread for info on switching to the stock turn signals, or activating both sets of signals (which is what I have done): viewtopic.php?t=48
tam

Post by tam »

Sweet thanks, that does look a lot better
whattheheck

Re: Intro and some questions

Post by whattheheck »

bwilms wrote:
tam wrote:On to the questions.. The manual doesn't have the handlebar turnsignals in it. The buddy obviously does have them now, but I'm confused about the flush turnsignals that are in the front of the bike, above the fender. Do they actually do anything? Are they hooked up? The dealer couldn't get them to go on, and also didn't know what they were for. Has anything removed the handlebar turnsignals and hooked em to the flush ones instead?
Check out this thread for info on switching to the stock turn signals, or activating both sets of signals (which is what I have done): viewtopic.php?t=48
FYI, I could not get the two pins to fit into one connector like the last poster of that thread said he did. Not even close - I ended up splicing wires together. Lights work well though!