Vapor lock, gaqs caps and odometeres

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

avonpirate

Vapor lock, gaqs caps and odometeres

Post by avonpirate »

I've been reading some MB threads on Vapor lock.
I've had 'vapor lock' appear in my life with a Datsun B-210. So, I understand WHAT a vehicle does when under the stress of vapor lock. The 'then' current boyfriend did some kind of bypass on the 'classic' B-210 and I assumed a peaceful co-existance with my 'ride'.

In the MB threads, the riders speak of a sensation of 'loss of power' which is way different from the B-210. Speed reduced is a different anomoly than engine shutting off.

A repeated universal remedy for the scoots experiencing vapor lock seems to be: a vented gas cap.

I'm at 3000+ miles on my GB 125.... is it time to purchase a 'vented gas cap'? Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere is about as much fun as having the B-210 cutting out as I traveled up to Haleakala or Sprecklesville, Ha.

thanks for sharing your opinion and experiences. I always learn. :)
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

easy

Post by easy »

2 kinds of vapor lock heat related like in your car the buddy suffers from like of vacum
what did you trade the day for?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

many of us had this when our buddies were new. under 500 miles I had it a few times if I overfilled. it just dropped power and then died. Open the cap, it would go for a while longer, rinse, repeat.

if you've not had it by 3k, I'd not worry too much about it :P.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Got a question, when did Genuine start fitting the Buddies with vented gas caps? My girlfriend just got a new '09 (never sold).
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Sometime in the '09 model year. My '09 Italia did not have a vented cap, but my dealer swapped it out for a venty when I had some early starting issues.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!