front rack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pete_M

front rack

Post by Pete_M »

Hello all,

I have a Buddy 150. I have the 2 small perforated holes on the front of my scoot and I am considering getting the chrome rack; do any of you have the rack? are they easy to install? are they really useful? I have the top case that came with the St. Tropes, so I am wondering if I need it. I take classes and it's a bitch to haul books on my back the 12 miles to school, so I was thinking I could bungy cord my backpack to the front, but don't know if that will cause other issues. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pete
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

You could always get a Kindle...
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Front racks are great for heavier loads and those too big or odd shaped for for a top case or pet carrier. (You might like that it holds two 6-packs perfectly). I don't use mine all that often but it has been a lifesaver on many occasion.

Installing is dead simple. Just take off the front panel, use a hole saw (get a 1" bit or whatever the correct size is for a dollar or two at your local hardware) to cut out the screw holes (do this from the inside of the panel so as not to damage the paint), then when installing the rack get your screws threaded BEFORE you retighten the body panel. This gives you some maneuverability. Once you have all the rack screws started you can snap the body panel back into place, tighten down the rack then finish up by tightening down the body panel. Job done.

One note: The headlight can be blocked by what you carry on the front rack so the height of your payload is limited.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I had a front rack on Stella #1 and am really missing it on my current scoots. One of those "don't know what you have until it's gone" things, I guess.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Pete_M

Post by Pete_M »

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. P
amy

Post by amy »

I have the front rack for my Buddy.

It's perfect for carrying a 12 or 24 pack of toilet paper, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, and canvas shopping bags (amongst other things).

I use a combination of a cargo net and Velcro cable ties to secure things to it.
fossel

Post by fossel »

carrys my 12 pack of xx beer or a case.Ihey do rust easily just like the mirrors,but I live on the coast.maybe somone from a dryer location can give you input on this.Im thinking of sanding mine and painting it black.I guess I should have bought black ones .I didnt think they would be made that cheap.