Fixed my rear rack issue...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

turboscott

Fixed my rear rack issue...

Post by turboscott »

So in a previous thread somewhere I posted that my rear rack cracked welds and also stripped the threads on the grab bar of the bike.....have not been able to use my SHAD topcase for some time now. I rewelded the original rack and then had an epiphony....after thinking how to get stronger threads back so I can use my 40L case...locktite, JB Weld, rethread to larger bolts, nothing will hold up...now what????

Last night I removed my grab bar and drilled holes all the way through the original threaded holes...ALL THE WAY THROUGH. I have now remounted the rack and topcase using 5/16 bolts with locking nuts on the other end. This rack is SOLID now with its complete pass through bolts.

I know what some of you are saying....YOU DRILLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH....WTF...DUMMY!

LOL...it works. Not my fault the original rack is junk off the shelf and the rear grab bar threads are aluminum and strip easy. Now it really is american made! Ill try to get pics up sometime soon. Since the rack clearance is pretty tight you really can see the bolt set-up much unless you go looking at it close. Looks okay...not ideal...but a good fix.
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

Here are the pics...

Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
viney266

Post by viney266 »

doesn't look bad at all. NICE..and as you said...IT WORKS!

even used locking nuts! professional job :D
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

viney266 wrote:doesn't look bad at all. NICE..and as you said...IT WORKS!

even used locking nuts! professional job :D
Yep...and thanks!