Greetings!   New to forum and have a new a 4T that leaks gas

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phattirepilot

Greetings!   New to forum and have a new a 4T that leaks gas

Post by phattirepilot »

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2012 Stella 4T two nights ago and last night, after I got back from a 10 mile ride I noticed a small gas leak dripping from (I think) the air intake box.   Does anyone know if there is any kind of evap or overflow hoses going to the airbox?   If not, I guess that would leave gas backing up from the carburetor so maybe I have a stuck float.

One thing for sure though, the choke was off and the petcock was off so neither of those  should be an issue unless the petcock isn't working.  Anyone else have an experience like this?   I didn't see anything quite like this in the forum except for stuck float.   I would like to open up the air intake at the air filter and take a look but it looks like I almost need to pull the engine to get in there... that would probably be the way to isolate the source-- but like I just said-- looks a little tough to get in there.   Any advice?

Well... other than this gas leak nuisance, I dig this scooter. Sorry to have to post a problem on my first post.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

How full did you fill the tank? Any chance you overfilled?
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

You bought it two nights ago and this is already happening? Take it back to the shop, they should have prepped it properly. They should fix it.
phattirepilot

Post by phattirepilot »

I got a chance to look it over tonight. I was hoping it was less hassle to fix than taking back in to dealer. I think it might be the float so I;ll let them fix it under warranty. I haven't filled it up yet, it looks like it is at about half tank so the leak's not from being over-filled. I pulled off the fuel hose to make sure the petcock was working and it's working correctly. There's no other hoses that I can see going to the air cleaner box (like overflows or evap hoses) so fuel must be running into the airbox from the carburetor.

I closed the petcock and then ran it out of fuel to hopefully get everything out of the carb. It looks like it's stopped leaking now. Think I'll leave off the battery tender for awhile!
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

Mine had a cracked fuel filter when I got it. It leaked just enough gas to be able to smell it when parked. The dealer replaced the fuel filter, and I have not had a problem since. Also stopped having a pesky single drip of oil every where I parked. Probably a little gas leaking onto the engine and degreasing something.
jamisfoes

Post by jamisfoes »

jmer1234 wrote:Mine had a cracked fuel filter when I got it. It leaked just enough gas to be able to smell it when parked. The dealer replaced the fuel filter, and I have not had a problem since. Also stopped having a pesky single drip of oil every where I parked. Probably a little gas leaking onto the engine and degreasing something.
I have the scooter since August. Two days ago I noticed the garage smells like gas. It turns out my fuel filter had a leak. I was too lazy to take the bike back to the dealer so I bought a replacement universal fuel filter from a motorcycle shop. Works like a charm.