Whats on the menu for Thursday, that's different?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

still shifting

Whats on the menu for Thursday, that's different?

Post by still shifting »

I am serving pork loin with apples sweet potatoes and onions. I will buy a turkey next week, they will be cheaper. R
TVB

Post by TVB »

I was going to fix brussels sprouts (I get them big as a baby's fist at the farmer's market), but my sister asked me to bring pumpkin pie instead.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

filet mignon, steak fries, salade nicoise. Got turkeyed-out years ago.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

We're doing the whole "visiting" thing, so we'll be trying other people's "different" food. As for us, we're gonna make what we refer to as "Thanksgiving Wraps". Basically a tortilla filled with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry, and peas!
C'mon, sko sko sko!
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

This is where I am going/what I am having for Thanksgiving:

http://www.tupelojunction.com/Tupelo-Ju ... g-2012.php

Caramelized Red Pear, Pomegranate, Candied Pecan & Blue Cheese Salad
Bloody Mary Braised Baby Back Ribs w/ Homemade Applesauce, Cornbread Waffle & Fried Onions
Chocolate Turtle Beignets w/ Crème Anglaise & Candied Pecans
fossel

Post by fossel »

lobster baja style ,carnitas .then we cook up a turkey on saturday
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

We go to the in-laws every Thanksgiving. Nothing ever varies. Almost nothing. Some of us bring a different beer each time. I am considering Rogue Dead Guy Ale this year. Any reviews among scooter riders?
laxer

Post by laxer »

Well, it's not very different, but I am slow-smoking the turkey with apple wood (SO good!) for the whole family. A little slaughterhouse brine overnight, some herb butter rubbed under the skin, and then kissed with smoke and heat for half a day, should be great.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Planning on duck, and if I can't obtain Daffy then a whole chicken it will be, plus the regular accouterments.

4:44PM Duck Acquired, let the feasting commence!
Last edited by agrogod on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
phatch

Post by phatch »

laxer wrote:Well, it's not very different, but I am slow-smoking the turkey with apple wood (SO good!) for the whole family. A little slaughterhouse brine overnight, some herb butter rubbed under the skin, and then kissed with smoke and heat for half a day, should be great.
Are we invited?? Sounds amazing... Got a more complete recipe?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Different for my family? Food that is edible :? My mother, for all of her talents as a veteran and as a wonderful writer, is better at dressing a battlefield wound than dressing a turkey.

My father (the American redneck in the family) makes an AWESOME fried turkey, but my mother talked him out of it due to it being "too unhealthy".

:cry:
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Me? Just the standard Hungry Man frozen dinner....... (it's just me on my own this year)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Headed to my bro in law for a smoked brisket, ooey gooey pumpkin cake, home made mac & 4cheeses , baked beans.

Then Saturday over to my sissy's for a Cajun fried turkey, Mexican cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, potato salad, fruit salad, green bean casserole, giblet gravy , cranberry sauce made from real cranberries mixed w/jello.

Gobble gobble gobble then back to boot camp Monday morning
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

KABarash wrote:Me? Just the standard Hungry Man frozen dinner....... (it's just me on my own this year)
Be thankful you're not spending the day as I am - with my in-laws.

Anyways, sending you a low-cal, low-fat, low-sodium virtual turkey leg.

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

charlie55 wrote:
KABarash wrote:Me? Just the standard Hungry Man frozen dinner....... (it's just me on my own this year)
Be thankful you're not spending the day as I am - with my in-laws.

Anyways, sending you a low-cal, low-fat, low-sodium virtual turkey leg.

Thanks Charlie, after nearly three weeks on the Island (Long Island) helping my mother put things back in order after 'Sandy' I'm happy for the break anyway.....
I do however have an invite, from my ex-wife, to spend the day with her and her parents :shock:

BTW: I'm more of a breast and wing man.

I'm planning on firing up the scoot, I haven't ridden in a few weeks, and getting out for some 'two wheeled therapy' sometime this afternoon.
Nullius in verba
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

kabarash
I'm planning on firing up the scoot, I haven't ridden in a few weeks, and getting out for some 'two wheeled therapy' sometime this afternoon.
That's what I was thinking today when I chose not to work during ski school line up because temps were near 60 degrees. But then I got home and looked at a wall which I promised myself I would paint in my 'between' seasons time. By the time I was finished painting, it was turning to winter again. Occupany is down 4%, the 'ribbon of death' is skiing just fine.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make the voyage from battery tender to active wheeling. :roll:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Thanksgiving sup this year - loaded potato skins and a cold pint of Newcastle in front of a huge stone hearth roaring fire in the Lodge atop Mt Baldy. What a ride! Home now to "snack" on some turkey :) Happy and thankful. Gobble gobble y'all.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dinner with my sister's in laws and their family. Huge. Two turkeys—one roast, one fried—and a prime rib. An array of sides; I made the brussel sprouts.

I'll be doing duck for Christmas dinner, I think.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
laxer

Post by laxer »

phatch wrote:
laxer wrote:Well, it's not very different, but I am slow-smoking the turkey with apple wood (SO good!) for the whole family. A little slaughterhouse brine overnight, some herb butter rubbed under the skin, and then kissed with smoke and heat for half a day, should be great.
Are we invited?? Sounds amazing... Got a more complete recipe?
First, give the unfrozen bird a bath in slaughterhouse brine for 12-24 hours:

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

Pull the bird from the brine and rinse. Then, set the bird uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry out the skin (you want that crispy skin, don't you?).

Pull the bird out in the morning to get it up to room temp, then gently work your way from the cavity under the skin, separating it from the meat. Rub under the skin with herb butter of your choice (I use a tsp. of pepper, tsp. rosemary, tsp. garlic powder, tsp. onion powder, and tsp. of Accent with two sticks of butter). Rub the outside of the bird with the herb butter, as well.

Smoke with your choice of wood at 200 for the first two hours, then coat the skin with olive oil and up the temps to 325 for the rest of the cooking/smoking time (times will vary based on size of bird), recoating skin every hour or so.

When bird is done cooking, pull it off the smoker, let it rest uncovered for 15-30 min, slice, and enjoy!

(BTW, mine turned out quite well this year, next year I'm gonna step up my game to injecting some slaughterhouse solution into the meat)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Despite all the great-sounding recipes, I'm in that likely miniscule percentage of folks that simply cannot abide turkey. I love duck, and will eat chicken if I have to, but turkey? I can't stand the sight of it raw, the smell of it cooking, or the taste of it, no matter how well prepared. This makes it pretty awkward when we're invited to someone's house on Thanksgiving and the 15 pound Quetzalcoatl arrives with a tuckus full of stuffing.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

gr8dog wrote:We go to the in-laws every Thanksgiving. Nothing ever varies. Almost nothing. Some of us bring a different beer each time. I am considering Rogue Dead Guy Ale this year. Any reviews among scooter riders?
I've seen that one at World Market but haven't tried it. I haven't been much impressed with the "shock label" brands that I have tried. Still, the proof is in the tasting.

However , there is an English brand called Hobgoblin that is really good. I ran across it in, of all places, a motorcycle mag. Seems the Brits were testing a Royal Enfield variant and rode the thing out to the brewery.

When I ran across some I tried it and was quite pleased with the taste. I like my beers heavy and dark generally.

Thanksgiving was at my parents' with my inlaws in attendance also. There was ham, dressing (we ARE Southern, after all), apple pie, sweet potato pie, and pecan pie, along with several kinds of cake.

The wife prepared triple corn casserole. I broke out the bread machine and supplied a loaf of white bread.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Someone made cranberry, pecan, & cinnamon fritters covered with a vanilla sauce. Very tasty!

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

avonpirate wrote:kabarash
That's what I was thinking today when I chose not to work during ski school line up because temps were near 60 degrees. But then I got home and looked at a wall which I promised myself I would paint in my 'between' seasons time. By the time I was finished painting, it was turning to winter again. Occupany is down 4%, the 'ribbon of death' is skiing just fine.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make the voyage from battery tender to active wheeling. :roll:
Well, my 'Turkey Ride' was border line epic.... I ended up in Haver De Grace, Md. then meandered my way back towards home stopping at the local VFW for a quick beer and then to my turkey dinner. A total loop of about 150 miles.
Attachments
turkey day dinner.jpg
turkey day dinner.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Nullius in verba
Rob

Post by Rob »

KABarash wrote:Well, my 'Turkey Ride' was border line epic.... I ended up in Haver De Grace, Md. then meandered my way back towards home stopping at the local VFW for a quick beer and then to my turkey dinner. A total loop of about 150 miles.
1 lb. of food (or so it says on the box). I think I ate more than that just snacking off of the kitchen counter before dinner. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Thanksgiving all messed up due to Sandy, so the b/f and I decided to go camping out on the Cape. We splurged and stayed in a yurt, ahhhh the WARMTH! The closest I'll ever get to glamping.

Here's me on Thanksgiving day

I'm from the Pine Barrens of south Jersey, and riding around the cranberry bogs on the soft sand in a forest of pine trees was like being home for the holiday.

We rode around a ton of cranberry bogs and saw wild turkeys. All I needed was to meet up with a member of the Wampanoag tribe!

I cooked a turkey on Tuesday and heated it up for Thursday's very, very traditional New England Thanksgiving meal. The rest was all cooked over the campfire. Mmmmm
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

We had a turducken. It was ok, but I don't think I like duck much.