to windshield or not to windshield?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

to windshield or not to windshield?

Post by Lovelandstella »

I'd like to hear (read) your pros and cons.
I know that this exists:
topic6137.html
but I am looking more towards the STELLA w/s topic

I still haven't bought one yet, (and there are so many) but I am on the fence.
(sure, I dont have the stella yet - but that is not what this is about :) )

what advice/thoughts do you have on a Stella w/s?
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

a *little* background:

* I had a scoot with a full w/s almost as tall as me when I sat on it. (on my elite) and I felt like It was the scooter equivalent of high water pants or something.
Example? look at this monster w/s here: (older p-series, but still) viewtopic.php?t=14768&highlight=
- I feel that scooter = cool, but w/s the size of another scooter = not cool. maybe it's just me.

* or like "it looked like" I was really trying to look like a motorcycle. and I don't want there to be any question that my stella is a scooter - even at 1st glance.

* I am not getting my stella for speed- I mean it wont go 75 mph so I'm not taking it on the highway. so scrounging 2-3 mph is not (yet) what I am interested in. This could change after my 1st ride though...

* I am thinking if I get anything, to get the "shortie". but I am not 100% on exactly why... maybe the way it looks?

what do you all think?
~Lovelandstella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I love the mid-sized (8", I think) shield on my Vespa and am thinking about one for the Stella. I think the similar-sized "Mod" screens look quite good on the P-series and probably have some benefit.

Maybe orange…?

That said, I find it hard to recommend them because so many people wind up hating them. Many riders never get comfortable with the additional noise and how the wind is redirected.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
easy

Post by easy »

I got the mod style on my chetak. I love the way it looks so i wear ff helmet and ear plugs. I get 2 or 3 more mph with it also. I got the racing seat to and that helps a little.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I wonder if the flyscreen-style windshield affects the way the mirrors shake on Stella.
ModBud #442
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

Having 2 Stellas, 1 with windshield, 1 without, I feel I can give you some insight. If you are to buy a windshield, get the mid size one, it is just the right size to "LOOK COOL" and shield you from the wind blowing stuff in your eyes. The tall one is just way too tall and will get in your way. The one thing I notice is that there is a slight distortion when looking through the windshield.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I've had a mid-size ScooterWorks windscreen on my Stella for nearly five years, and I wouldn't ride without it. I've experienced no problems even in high winds, and it keeps me from being buffeted at WOT.
Attachments
HighRiderPeter_3.jpg
HighRiderPeter_3.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Peter, I've got the bigger/wider screen on my P and I HATE it. Do you feel the mid-size you have keeps the bike steady and directs the wind over your head? Do you mind me asking how tall you are (we can PM this if you want). I'm quite tall and would like to have a windshield in the winter, but I just hate the one I have (I got it wide to keep the wind off my hands). I find with windshields, the air winds up over the shield and grabbing up under my helmet. It's like having my head wrenched off.

And what happened to your P?!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

siobhan wrote:Peter, I've got the bigger/wider screen on my P and I HATE it. Do you feel the mid-size you have keeps the bike steady and directs the wind over your head? Do you mind me asking how tall you are (we can PM this if you want). I'm quite tall and would like to have a windshield in the winter, but I just hate the one I have (I got it wide to keep the wind off my hands). I find with windshields, the air winds up over the shield and grabbing up under my helmet. It's like having my head wrenched off.

And what happened to your P?!
Siobhan, I have no complaints at all with the mid-size. It doesn't seem to adversely affect control and it keeps the wind at least out of my face. I'm 5'7" on a tall day. Your wide windshield might be great for keeping your hands from freezing during the winter, but you might want to think about having the height cut down a bit for better control. As for the P200, I reluctantly sold it several months ago. I bought it as a back-up for Stella, but when I bought a new GTS 250 for club trips, there was no room in my scooter garage for a third scooter. If and when Genuine comes out with their promised Classic Cruiser, I'll have another dilemma! (My name is Peter, and I'm a scooterholic!)
Lovelandstella

yay! a polite topic!

Post by Lovelandstella »

These are GREAT responses! Thank You!

I am curious if anyone out there is rockin' the Stella with no windshield?
Is there any possible advantage to that, other than not droppin' $80 bucks?
~Lovelandstella
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

only downside to a windshield is that on hot days, you don't get proper air flow across your jacket vents.

i say get one, and use it when you need it; ditch it when you don't.

-duo
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

I'm a city rider, so I've never felt compelled to have a windscreen for aerodynamics. I also like to keep the bike pretty low-key looking. That is, except for stickers, scratches, and "after-market" paint. I like the lo-fi look though. I'll post pictures sometime.

(I think my scooter affair can be traced back to empire records)
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

In anticipation of the eventual delivery of my 4T Stella, I bought the Vespa windscreen that Eric is considering (his top picture) because it seemed like the best looking, highest-quality alternative that wasn't huge. I'm a little concerned, though, as to whether I will be able to make it work, considering that the mirror location on the Stella is different from that on the later-model PXs. May require some adapting.

I'm fond of little flyscreens; have them on both my Vespa LX150 and my LXV150ie.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I ride w/o a windscreen and I wouldn't change it. When I was wearing my open face helmet I had planned on getting a w/s but I changed my mind after I went to a full face helmet. I do not have that feeling that the wind may pull off my helmet, no more wind buffeting my face, I did not notice the cold all winter, plus the added safety made me(and the wife) happier.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I am 6'1" and find that the ride is a LOT louder with the windscreen. I guess the screen puts my head right in the middle of the turbulence. That being said, I have found that might top end suffers a lot without the windscreen in place.
So, I think I'll ride without the windscreen in the summer, then put it back on when/if it ever cools down here. (It was 100 degrees here in Tucson today.)

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I like windshields and run one all the time in the winter. I just got the HUGE stock one for the Legend as I'll be commuting on it until the Blur is fixed.
I really couldn't give two figs what people think, but I do wear the plugs and live a clean life, otherwise.
You can take them on and off, so I wouldn't sweat it too much :D
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Okay, sorry if I'm getting a little off-topic here, but I was thinking of getting a windshield for my P200 for the winter... The only problem being one of my mirror holes is stripped out (which is why I only have one mirror). Does anybody know if there's a way to still put a windshield on? Or maybe just know of a really good face/neck covering that's wind resistant and quick & easy to take on & off? The last couple winters I just tuffed it out but it was a little intense.
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

what about liquid steel?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Okay, sorry if I'm getting a little off-topic here, but I was thinking of getting a windshield for my P200 for the winter... The only problem being one of my mirror holes is stripped out (which is why I only have one mirror). Does anybody know if there's a way to still put a windshield on? Or maybe just know of a really good face/neck covering that's wind resistant and quick & easy to take on & off? The last couple winters I just tuffed it out but it was a little intense.
HeliCoils
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

KRUSTYburger wrote: Or maybe just know of a really good face/neck covering that's wind resistant and quick & easy to take on & off? The last couple winters I just tuffed it out but it was a little intense.
Buff is your friend - I have one called the "Cyclone" and it's amazing. They are all amazing, but that one is really something. Nothing gets through the Cyclone...

http://www.buff.es/en/ESP/products/-/c/H/s/A/f/1
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Okay, I just got back from a 80 mile ride on a Stella with a medium windshield and I didn't like it. The most annoying part was it pushed the wind to the sides of my helmet and was REALLY noisy. I couldn't really find a good position where it didn't bother me except when I ducked way down behind it, and that wasn't comfortable for any period of time. It was kind of windy but I was only going like 45mph so I don't think faster speeds would be any better. Just my personal opinion, I'm like 5'4" so that might make a difference if you're taller or short it could be better. Rippinyarn, thanks for the tip on the Buff, I'm checking it out right now.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Rippinyarn wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote: Or maybe just know of a really good face/neck covering that's wind resistant and quick & easy to take on & off? The last couple winters I just tuffed it out but it was a little intense.
Buff is your friend - I have one called the "Cyclone" and it's amazing. They are all amazing, but that one is really something. Nothing gets through the Cyclone...

http://www.buff.es/en/ESP/products/-/c/H/s/A/f/1
That's pretty slick. I've got a combo lycra-fleece Schampa that I used to wear when I rode in Seattle, but I've never needed it down here in TX.

Might have to invest in one of those.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I know this: I used to ride a Honda Shadow motorcycle sans windshield. Above 50 mph, I felt like the wind was trying to tear my helmet off. I have mid-size windshields on both my Stella and my Vespa GTS 250. No such problem, and no problems with crosswinds. JMHO.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Is a small windshield/windscreen like this more for looks than function? I'm thinking about getting a windscreen to fight back some of the wind but I don't really care for the looks of the larger windscreens, so I'm wondering if this size actually helps.

".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Mulliganal wrote:Is a small windshield/windscreen like this more for looks than function? I'm thinking about getting a windscreen to fight back some of the wind but I don't really care for the looks of the larger windscreens, so I'm wondering if this size actually helps.

I have that same windscreen in clear. I really like it.

It does a great job of improving the aerodynamics and in keeping the wind pressure off your torso, but don't expect it to keep wind off your head unless you are very short.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Silver Streak wrote: I have that same windscreen in clear. I really like it.

It does a great job of improving the aerodynamics and in keeping the wind pressure off your torso, but don't expect it to keep wind off your head unless you are very short.
Hey Dave, where did you purchase yours from in clear?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Big People Scooters' eBay store, here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-People-Scoot ... 34.c0.m322
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Silver Streak wrote:Big People Scooters' eBay store, here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-People-Scoot ... 34.c0.m322
Thanks Dave, I did notice that but I was hoping there was a cheaper place to buy one; I guess that's just the going price for this item.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

That's the full list price, but I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Keith

Post by Keith »

Just be careful of the size of the screen. Attached to the handlebars rather than the body of scoot can cause some control problems if you have crosswinds where you ride. An overly large screen in such winds becomes a bit of a wing.
05 Stella- "Moto Psycho"
07 Kymco Grand Vista 250- "DINK"
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

So, Has anyone installed the faco mid windscreen sold by scooterwest.com? It is the one Eric showed at the beginning of this thread?

This one:

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... -Stella/29

I have installed this on my Stella 4T and the mirrors are touching the windscreen. Just wondering if anyone has tried different brackets for the mirrors or simply changed out their mirrors?

Mike
Keith

Post by Keith »

Siobhan, I have no complaints at all with the mid-size. It doesn't seem to adversely affect control and it keeps the wind at least out of my face. I'm 5'7" on a tall day. Your wide windshield might be great for keeping your hands from freezing during the winter, but you might want to think about having the height cut down a bit for better control.
Good advice. Control in wind gusts is a definite issue, given how the windshield is secured to a Stella.
05 Stella- "Moto Psycho"
07 Kymco Grand Vista 250- "DINK"
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Just a follow-up for those who are looking at various windshields for their Stella 4T. I tried several different ways to position the mirrors so they would not interfere. The short story is that windscreen didn't fit properly and there is no way to get the mirrors to position properly without hitting the windscreen. Even if the mirrors were not the issue, the windscreen won't move back far enough to be flush with the headlights. It sits too far forward.

Scooterwest has indicated that they have got this to fit on Stella 4T's. Because I am from the mid-west, it is a little far for me to drive to have them install it. Honestly I don't know how they could position it correctly. The clutch handle would hit the windscreen while in 1st gear.

I will most likely be ordering the tall cuppini windscreen like pictured below and found at the link below:

Because the tall windscreen it too tall and the mini it too short, I will be cutting down the tall one. If anyone has cut down a windscreen before feel free to post your experience.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen- ... 0C594.aspx
Attachments
WS209-2.jpg
WS209-2.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I have a tall windshield for winter months and absolutely love it. Many people hate the looks of it but since I grew up in Milan I am used to the majority of scoots using a tall windshield.
Crew

Post by Crew »

I love this Cuppini from Scooterworks.
Added a little to my top end speed and takes all the pressure off my chest.
Handling is improved at all speeds like a damper effect. Around 80 bucks and I like the looks of the tint on my black Stella...
JohnThreeSixteen
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

To each his own, said the man as he kissed the cow. I have the same windshield as Crew's and agree with him. That does not mean that
they are for every body. Go with what suits you best. I have them on all my scoots.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Wolfhound wrote:To each his own, said the man as he kissed the cow. I have the same windshield as Crew's and agree with him. That does not mean that
they are for every body. Go with what suits you best. I have them on all my scoots.
@Wolfhound and Crew- Do you mind me asking how tall you guys are? I've been thinking about a windscreen, and I dig the looks of your Cuppini screen but I'm 6'1" and I'm afraid the wind will just be routed under my helmet as a few others in the thread mentioned.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I am 6'1" tall and weigh 185/190 lbs. I have a taller one on my TGB hack and it does not keep the wind from my face totally nor does the one on my Stella. However I wear a half helmet with a full face shield so I dont
get much wind under the helmet. Ther biggest advantage of the wind
shield is thsat it directs the wind around your body. Without it you get the
full blast on your chest. Hope this helps.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

having obtained a medium windshield this past spring and having ridden from Virginia to Wisconsin with it in two days I would like to weight in on it.

The windshield was vital in preventing me from getting tired too quickly. I was riding ~14 hours each day at WOT and the windshield prevented the windblast from hitting my chest the whole way.

The bad thing about it however is that it redirected all that wind to my head. This meant really loud wind buffeting around my ears and I had to wear earplugs the entire way. Now, earplugs are a good idea regardless, but even in the city it was enough to give me a headache. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam by the way so people of different height might not experience this.

Finally, upon returning from my trip my mechanic noticed that my front tire had worn off asymmetrically and was causing a bit of a wobble. He attributed this to headset shake caused by air hitting the windshield.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Wolfhound wrote:I am 6'1" tall and weigh 185/190 lbs. I have a taller one on my TGB hack and it does not keep the wind from my face totally nor does the one on my Stella. However I wear a half helmet with a full face shield so I dont
get much wind under the helmet. Ther biggest advantage of the wind
shield is thsat it directs the wind around your body. Without it you get the
full blast on your chest. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. It's something to think about. Yesterday I had to ride home on a windy/rainy night and I was thinking how great it would be to have that extra weather protection. A 3 mile ride and I was totally soaked.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If it looks like rain, I pack my rain suit. The faceshield keeps the rain out
of my eyes and face, and the windshield directs it around my body. Still
may get wet but not as bad with the rain suit.
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

Lokky wrote:having obtained a medium windshield this past spring and having ridden from Virginia to Wisconsin with it in two days I would like to weight in on it.

The windshield was vital in preventing me from getting tired too quickly. I was riding ~14 hours each day at WOT and the windshield prevented the windblast from hitting my chest the whole way.

The bad thing about it however is that it redirected all that wind to my head. This meant really loud wind buffeting around my ears and I had to wear earplugs the entire way. Now, earplugs are a good idea regardless, but even in the city it was enough to give me a headache. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam by the way so people of different height might not experience this.

Finally, upon returning from my trip my mechanic noticed that my front tire had worn off asymmetrically and was causing a bit of a wobble. He attributed this to headset shake caused by air hitting the windshield.
Do you have a picture you can upload of your Stella with the medium windshield?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Refer to Lokkys rig pictured above in the postings. Same as my set up.
Hopefully I will learn how to post pix soon. If we both can find the time my wife is going to teach me. My computer skills are sadly lacking