wow; didn't expect this.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

redhandmoto

wow; didn't expect this.

Post by redhandmoto »

We all know to take advertising with a grain of salt, and in this charming age of diminishing expectations, always to question the motives of professional reviewers, even those thought to be independent and reasonably objective.

Of necessity, the motorcycle is going on the block, and the hunt was begun for a traditionally-styled, EFI, honest 55ish cruising scooter of recognized quality and reliability without a laundry list of issues for remediation by the user.

We soon got down to the 170i and the Kymco Like 200i (nominal; an actual 163cc). We once owned an International 150 and know the Genuine genome.

Kymco enjoys a solid rep among the press and owners; we were very well predisposed to the 200i and were willing to accept that performance would of course be a notch below the 170.

Now our local Big Four guy is also - ostensibly - a Kymco dealer, but all he ever has on the floor are the many 50s in their line, and we'd never bothered to look at those closely.

Discovering that the Like 50 and the Like 200i have pretty much the same frame, platform, and dimensions, we went up to take a closer look and try sitting on it - the one small quibble we'd read concerned crowded seating.

I have to say that I was shocked to my shoes. In the flesh, the bodywork is strikingly flimsy; the plastic of the panels is very thin, & they feel brittle, like styrene; a fingernail tap seems like it could make it shatter. The chrome plating on the pillion grab-rail was shoddy at the edges.

I'd looked at everything I could find on the 'Net, paying close attention to what actual users had to say, and hearkening to the reviews of a well-known fella whose write-ups always seemed balanced and solid; he accepts no advertising; his remarks always on point in a spirit of objectivity. He clearly likes Kymco products; on the 200i, he'd said that the ergos were not to his taste (though they seemed ok to me), but generally his reviews of Kymco scoots were laudatory.

Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but nowhere, nowhere among users, the forums, or reviewers at all did I see any mention, much less criticism, made of the flimsy character of Kymco panels; in person, they shout 'shoddy.'

That's only my opinion, of course, but I was so struck by this failing and amazed that apparently no one else, somewhere, sometime, hadn't uttered a whisper of criticism. Are the panels of larger Kymco bikes more substantial?

As fortune would have it, we left the dealer and went over to the local hardware store for a resupply of mousetraps, arriving as a gent who works at the Thai restaurant next door pulled in - on a black People 200i! His plastics were the same as on the 50 we'd just been tapping and wiggling.

No offensive to Kymco owners; de gustibus, and all that. We're just bewildered and a little dismayed here - Kymco was a line I was motivated to like and to buy. I'd owned Genuine; I'd horsed around on Sym a bit - a real dash of cold water to have a marque so utterly fail expectations.
Last edited by redhandmoto on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Did you get a real-world perspective from the rider of the black 220i? What did he think of the plastics?
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'd horsed around on Sym a bit
Did your horsing include the HD200? Better fit (for me) than any People, including the new 200 and 300, and more than enough power to cruise at 60+ all day.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

(@ Cheshire) nope, didn't.

Because I'd not seen them in person, I'd been looking for owner's impression and experiences on the 'Net.

Now that i've seen and touched it myself, my perception of panels materials quality is most important - owners may not mind it, but I wouldn't be happy.

Mind, though; this isn't in any way to diss performance and reliability; I just couldn't live with the plastic.

Handled, taken off and put back onto the center stand, the 200i felt very light, the body almost fragile, compared to my Genuines, Vespa, Yamahas, Hondas...granted, this is all subjective; if Kymcos didn't run well and reliabily, they wouldn't enjoy the reputation that they very definitely have.
Last edited by redhandmoto on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Syd wrote:
I'd horsed around on Sym a bit
Did your horsing include the HD200? Better fit (for me) than any People, including the new 200 and 300, and more than enough power to cruise at 60+ all day.
Yep, horsing was all the HD200, though on an older unsold '09 that an independent local dealer got from Carter Bros, along with a bunch of also-unsold Symbas, back before the arson, when the bloom was still on the rose and scooter sales were wild.

Like it; solid. Gotta stay away from carbs.
Last edited by redhandmoto on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

No SYM dealer in VA? Oh, never mind. That's too bad; I think it could be argued that the HD200 and the Buddy are the two best sub-200cc bikes in the US. But if you have no SYM dealer nearby, forget that.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Syd wrote:No SYM dealer in VA? Oh, never mind. That's too bad; I think it could be argued that the HD200 and the Buddy are the two best sub-200cc bikes in the US. But if you have no SYM dealer nearby, forget that.
No...Alliance is doing an ace job of rebuilding the network, but it's been creeping slowly toward the east and filling out...one day

but...isn't the HD200 still carbed? I have lost fine motor function, flexibility, range-of-motion, and grip. Wrenching is now out. Lookin' to go EFI only...
Last edited by redhandmoto on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
anthony

Post by anthony »

are you referring to the Like 200i? The People 200i is 205cc, but the Like is 163cc, and I believe the People 200i and People 50 look very different, though I'm not sure what model years we're talking about, as I know the People line as changed a lot over time.

Also, I believe user neotrotsky actually had written about his feeling that the Like 200i bodywork seemed pretty cheap/flimsy. I know it doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, but the Like is one of the scooters Kymco manufactures on the mainland (if that is the scooter you're referring to).
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

anthony wrote:are you referring to the Like 200i? The People 200i is 205cc, but the Like is 163cc, and I believe the People 200i and People 50 look very different, though I'm not sure what model years we're talking about, as I know the People line as changed a lot over time.

Also, I believe user neotrotsky actually had written about his feeling that the Like 200i bodywork seemed pretty cheap/flimsy. I know it doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, but the Like is one of the scooters Kymco manufactures on the mainland (if that is the scooter you're referring to).
Yep, you're right, my blunder; it's the Like 200i I've been talking about (earlier post edited to correct) ...soooo...some mainland, PRC thin plastic thing going on, eh? Too bad - I really liked the look of it, squared-off VespaKnock-offidness and all...

well, the 170i will serve
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Plus, speaking of taking advertising with a grain of salt in this charming age of diminishing expectations, the Like 200i is actually only 163cc. Kymco calling it a 200 is really quite the stretch. Maybe call it a 165, or a 170 on a good day, but a 200? Puleeze.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

redhandmoto wrote:
Syd wrote:No SYM dealer in VA? Oh, never mind. That's too bad; I think it could be argued that the HD200 and the Buddy are the two best sub-200cc bikes in the US. But if you have no SYM dealer nearby, forget that.
No...Alliance is doing an ace job of rebuilding the network, but it's been creeping slowly toward the easty and filling out...one day

but...isn't the HD200 still carbed? I have lost fine motor function, flexibility, range-of-motion, and grip. Wrenching is now out. Lookin' to go EFI only...
I think it is still carbed, but I put almost 17,000 miles on mine and never gave a thought to adjustment; not even when riding in elevations up to nearly 8000'.
Stormy

Post by Stormy »

I have two Kymco's (Xciting 500 and Downtown 300i). Both are very solid bikes (including from a plastics perspective). The People 200 and 300 are also both pretty solid bikes. I think the Like series is considered to be the entry level and is built with that in mind.
08 Red Buddy 125; 07 Black Xciting 500; 11 Silver Downtown 300i
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Interesting observation on the plastics. I haven't played with a Like yet, but I understand that they're my local dealer's hottest-selling model.

It was shared with me that the Kymcos that arrive in the big cardboard box are made in Taiwan, while the metal-framed crates with the Kymco tarp on them are made in the PRC. No idea if this is true, but while I've fussed about some things on my Yager, the fit and finish weren't an issue. It's bolted together as well as any Honda I've ever messed with. The body panels give without creaking and the paint finish is good. There was one scuff on a side panel that it received during shipping and is being replaced under warranty; I could always test the scuffed one for "give" once I get the new panel. It's a shame they killed off this model, it has a finish like a Downtown for a lot less money.

I guess my benchmark for crispy panels are those fitted to the '87 model Hondas. A lot of early 'aughts PRC scoots seem to use the same paper-mache' panel tech. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
anthony

Post by anthony »

My understanding is that Kymco manufactures the Like in China specifically in order to have a 150cc+ bike with FI and front & rear disc brakes at a lower price point than any of its competitors. Before I bought my 170i, the People 150 and Like 200i were my other considerations. I rode the People and it wasn't as fun as the buddy (both because of the 16" wheels and it wasn't as peppy). I never test-rode the Like because they never had it in stock. The thing was apparently flying off the shelves! So I guess their strategy has worked. I did eventually test-ride it later, just to finally do it, and it is a nice ride, but I agree that it does look somewhat cheap.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I did go on at length about a few of Kymco's bikes while shopping for a new machine late this last summer. And yes, I did find the Like 200i lacking in quite a few areas. While on paper it seems like the killer deal with all the options and a price that almost makes a Buddy seem overpriced, once you get to it in person, you see how they got to that price.

The plastic is flimsy. Sort of like Ikea-knock-off-Tupperware flimsy. The weight of the bike is also almost *too* light. But, the biggest gripe I had was that the proportions were just *off* in every way. Wile the Buddy simply was just too short in the reach to the handlebars for me, the Like was strangely off on every aspect, but in a different way. The footdeck has tons of room, but the knees are horribly cramped. The ergos on the switches are just slightly off, and the passenger footpegs feel like you'll break them off if your passenger is over 75lbs. To top it all off, the top speed of the bike is reported to be no better than the Agility :| Not terribly compelling.

And, the hideous top box comes with it, even when you don't want it. You don't have the option to delete it to get some of those fancy crash bars that are available for the Like.

In comparison, the plastic just seemed to be thicker and better assembled on the Agility 125. Heck, for a bargain basement, air cooled scooter, the Agility simply has more room, better fit and finish in appearance, better weight balance and a much better price by $800 US! For $2135 I couldn't pass up the offer and bit on an Agility. Haven't regretted it since!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: wow; didn't expect this.

Post by jrsjr »

redhandmoto wrote:Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but no where, no where among users, the forums, or reviewers at all did I see any mention, much less criticism, made of the flimsy character of Kymco panels; in person, they shout 'shoddy.'

That's only my opinion, of course, but I was so struck by this failing and amazed that apparently no one else, somewhere, sometime, hadn't uttered a whisper of criticism. Are the panels of larger Kymco bikes more substantial?
Some Kymcos are now made on the mainland. You can spot them without even sitting on them by looking for shiny cheap-looking plastics. Aside from the Like models, the 2008-2012 People 50/150 models are another example. Sooooo sorry you had that experience. There are a few used SYM HD 200 scooters for sale around (I just researched Cycletrader and suddenly can't find the one that was for sale last week in NorVa). You'd be a LOT happier with one of those. It's fast, reliable, and, importantly, a much better choice for two-up riding.
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

My 2009 Kymco People S200 was pretty nice, and the plastics were good quality. However, even then, Kymco had already moved some export production to China, along with Yamaha and a few others. If you can see the scooter's VIN, its easy to tell. If it starts with L, its made in mainland China. If it starts with RF, RG, RH, RI, RJ, or RK it is made in Taiwan.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

At least you know the tradeoff. TANSTAAFL applies. Some may think the flimsy plastic is worth the savings. I would feel better about the Like with Kymco's dealer network behind it than the numerous no-name mainland scoots I see people hereabouts on.

IS there a Vespa lookalike in plastic that isn't flimsy? Or does that shape lend itself only to metal construction?
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

well, so much for my research-fu. Nope, i hadn't seen Neo's heads-up about the panels (or anyone else's), nor was i aware that there were two tiers of quality with Kymco.

Now that jrsjr mentions it, they were kinda glossy in a dimestore-lipstick kind of way. It's a damned shame - I did admire the shape & style, but, you know, if i could still be fooling around with basic wrenching, or if the Yammie Vino 125 had evolved into EFI before dying off, I'd be in heaven.

The Sym HD200 always had strong appeal, especially after it's solid showing in the CBR. It is just too big for me now; I couldn't wrangle it with any confidence.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Plus, speaking of taking advertising with a grain of salt in this charming age of diminishing expectations, the Like 200i is actually only 163cc. Kymco calling it a 200 is really quite the stretch. Maybe call it a 165, or a 170 on a good day, but a 200? Puleeze.
Yeah, that was kinda brazen, wasn't it? Damnable shameless Kymco; like they dared you to call them on it.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

(renegade "edit" that got orphaned out here at the thread end. I'm really losing it; now my editing-fu is going.)
Last edited by redhandmoto on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

neotrotsky wrote:
In comparison, the plastic just seemed to be thicker and better assembled on the Agility 125. Heck, for a bargain basement, air cooled scooter, the Agility simply has more room, better fit and finish in appearance, better weight balance and a much better price by $800 US! For $2135 I couldn't pass up the offer and bit on an Agility. Haven't regretted it since!
i ]

as a Kymco rider i have to quote this. the 2009 Agility i ride seems robust. the panels seem sturdy and "thick" so far as that goes and its a tall, roomy scooter. i would not even call it a bargain scooter which cuts corners. it just is what it is. a good scoot at a good price

the like 200i on the other hand is kind of a bargain scooter. its bigger, faster, has FI....but "bargain" isn't what its marketed as, really. and the low price reflects that imo. they want you to think you're getting "more scooter" for your scooting $. but ride a Buddy 150 / 170 and you will know why they msrp considerably higher. Buddy 125 is better, too. imo. but they are the essentially the SAME price, the Like is bigger, FI, and it says "200." must be a better scooter at a better price then a little 125cc carb thing, right?

wrong

also check out and live with an Agility awhile and you will never look at a Like again, period :)
Riding is riding
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

^^
That's what I'm talking about - one expected the same values that went into the Agility to be there in the 50/163 Like.

We understand about the cost-shaving in materials to get a scoot out in that class with EFI and discs, but it does seem rather like Kymco's pissing on its own feet. Only "seems"; as was pointed out, they do sell well despite the cheese factor.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

JHScoot wrote:also check out and live with an Agility awhile and you will never look at a Like again, period :)
Have to agree -- the Agility, while not a looker, is clearly the better bike for the money.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

True about the Agility, akin in styling to the Zuma 125 I once had, also a very fine machine, but I was indifferent to its form. Gotta have the retro.

It's a funy thing about personal preferences in looks - one of my all-time favorites is the Vino 125. That gigantic, deformed-looking headlamp, sitting up top all that curvy vespaness like a monstrous chrome suppository made me laugh every time I saw it. I'm getting my wife the new EFI Vino Classic 50 to replace her Met.

Thus the 170i - somebody posted a photo of their Pamplona with all the plastics inside the footwell curve painted black - that really pumped up the style by giving emphasis to the inner curve and slimming the appearence of the upper bike - looked sleeker, faster.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jprestonian wrote:
JHScoot wrote:also check out and live with an Agility awhile and you will never look at a Like again, period :)
Have to agree -- the Agility, while not a looker, is clearly the better bike for the money.
It's not a *bad* looking bike. It's just non-descript. It doesn't look like anything else on the road, yet it really doesn't stand out. This isn't a bad thing for what they're going for mind you.

The Agility overall IS more robust than the Like, and it's also a mainland product. The difference is it's not trying to be something it's not, and there's a quality to that. It's durable, easy to work on, looks non-offensive but decent enough, and runs GREAT! Indicated 70mph is no problem and I'm still averaging over 80mpg. Just add a little bike polish to keep the unpainted plastics moist and happy and change that oil every 2,000 km and this bike won't let you down.

Oh, and change the tires quick. They have a strange sidewall profile that just "drops off" to a hard edge which means you can't lean aggressively with the stock rubber. A cheap upgrade that changes the bike's character for the FAR better (Not that it rides bad...)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

neotrotsky wrote:
jprestonian wrote:
It's not a *bad* looking bike. It's just non-descript. It doesn't look like anything else on the road, yet it really doesn't stand out. This isn't a bad thing for what they're going for mind you.

The Agility overall IS more robust than the Like, and it's also a mainland product. The difference is it's not trying to be something it's not, and there's a quality to that. It's durable, easy to work on, looks non-offensive but decent enough, and runs GREAT! Indicated 70mph is no problem and I'm still averaging over 80mpg. Just add a little bike polish to keep the unpainted plastics moist and happy and change that oil every 2,000 km and this bike won't let you down.

Oh, and change the tires quick. They have a strange sidewall profile that just "drops off" to a hard edge which means you can't lean aggressively with the stock rubber. A cheap upgrade that changes the bike's character for the FAR better (Not that it rides bad...)
yeah even changing the rear helps dramatically. i got two rears from scooterworks for $60 on closeout. pretty good deal. i lost a few mph on the top end, though. thats ok, i guess

and i defend the Agility a little, too. i think mine looks pretty decent. up close it looks very basic but imo not flimsy or cheap. put it next to a Znen made something or another and you will see one cheap scooter and one basic scooter and know the difference.

so far as performance? well its a scooter, so yeah. lets just say next to my Blackjack (bought my mom's a fair deal i barely ride it) i compare it in a better light then i did when new. it had its engine replaced and a new tire put on and while not a BJ in performance or handling, it is not too far behind for a somewhat capable rider. i tend to ride fast and hard so far as scooting goes. iow WOT a lot of the time. well, most of the time. ok lets just say whenever i can :)

anyway, the scoot can take it. and lots of scooters can. but i guess like some motorcycles....some scooters are meant to be rode with verve. you can do that with the Agility and know its not going to fail you

could have better brakes, but my only other reference is the NCY kit of the BJ. so, not really fair to compare as the Agility stops well enough

it sits high and leans well and has lots of room for knees and big feet and such. after i get a motorcycle i will keep this scooter because its worth more to me then what i would be able to get for it. if and when it dies or is broke beyond all help somehow....i would most likely get another. and really not for its price. i just like to ride it
Riding is riding
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I have over 7k on my Like 200i (yeah yeah 163) and have to say, I think you're exaggerating the "flimsiness" of the plastics. Yeah, it's plastic, most scooters are, but it's not like the cowls are flapping in the wind when you're riding down the road. I'm assuming it's the cowls you're talking about, it's the only area on the scoot where the plastic flexes. Compare it to the buddy, plastic is about the same thickness, but the buddy has curved pieces that have more anchor points, to achieve the look of the like, they simply couldn't build the scooter the same way. If they had broken down the pieces into smaller parts, curved with screws every few inches it would look completely different. I could see if you're someone prone to laying a bike down you might think the large cowls would break, but thankfully, that's something I don't do very often. I've had nothing but an awesome experience with mine. It's a great scoot for the money with plenty of bells and whistles and it runs like a champ. Zero problems in 7k miles.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I too, found the newer Kymcos lacking. Even a local dealer doesn't much care for all but the higher end models. They really like the previous few model years though, so perhaps it's just an adjustment to try to keep prices down.

the 170i with good tires on it should love 55mph all day long, but I understand that 10" wheels aren't always a fan favorite.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

BeefSupreme wrote:...I could see if you're someone prone to laying a bike down you might think the large cowls would break, but thankfully, that's something I don't do very often.
Interesting rhetorical switcheroo there, Beef, wherein a description of your bike's plastic as "flimsy" somehow becomes the implication that my riding and balance skills must be clumsy or deficient. Slyly done.

So, Easy There, Big Fellow; easy now - I said at the onset that this post was not intended to insult Kymco owners. It was still inevitable that some would be.

I repeat: bottom-tier line thin plastic or not, the Like is a best-selling bike. That is driven by owner satisfaction with reliability and performance, which must be solid. The cost-cutting in body material is how, as others point out, a scoot with EFI and disc was possible at that price point.

And thanks for pointing it out, but after after thirten of them, I did have a dim awareness that most scooters are plastic-bodied. All of mine have been, except for that fat-butted Vespa thing, and it is the relative thickness and seeming toughness of all those other body panels which drew the "flimsy" call.

I am glad that you and other Like owners are satisfied and happy with your bikes; I am not surprised that it has been mechanically trouble-free. 7K trouble-free miles is good, alright; my amped Tomos moped had a crapload of (relatively :D) 'high-speed'miles, too; it doesn't mean that a lot of its construction materials weren't shaky. They were.

The "shot" I took, if you choose to see it that way, was not at you, or any other Like owner, or at anything except the character of the plastic. And my call applies to all the plastic, not just the cowls.

That all the plastic is thin and brittle is widely recognized - my remarking upon it does not mean that I, or anyone else who mentions it often drop our scooters. To imply so is just so much defensive chin-music and talking through one's hat.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

RHM: I don't consider your shot to be at me, but at "the panty dropper", and he demands an apology.

I get on the Scotty defensive when somebody talks about my nacelles.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

BeefSupreme wrote:RHM: I don't consider your shot to be at me, but at "the panty dropper", and he demands an apology.

Panty-dropper; that's the spirit. Well, those well-formed nacelles work, for sure. If a body likes and enjoys his scoot, whatsit matter? Doesn't.

My homely Yammie C3 - I see people look away smirking; I don't really care if it looks like I'm selling Good Humor out of it. it does what I need it to do.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I especially want a c3 now that they don't make them :(.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I've always lusted after the c3. It's ugly and utilitarian. Just wish they had bothered to squeeze a bigger engine in them. It would be my ideal scoot.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Actually I think Kymco got it right with the Like and maybe even the Agility too.I was thinking about how many el-cheapo China scoots sell in the US vs the name brand scoots.Probably something like 10 to 1 ratio,at least that is what I witness where I live.Kymco probably decided why not get in on the action and bring to market a cheap lower quality scoot the masses are buying Makes sense market wise.

What say you?

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

BeefSupreme wrote:It would be my ideal scoot.
It's been that for me. It stays just just inside the fence gate chained to a tie-down for readiness - go to the grocery, drugstore, appointments, whatever.

Storage might not be what people think - that underseat area is mostly horizontal and relatively shallow. Still holds a lot, but for lots of groceries, I improvised a bag hook by using a carabiner around the cables to hang bags in the footwell. I put the accessory rack on the rear with a cargo net for cartons and such.

Does 42 or so on the flats, plenty for crowded local traffic. Hills slow it down, but I don't mind. It's just too useful otherwise. 100cc would have been nice.

Done some longish runs on it and that amazing comfortable seat and bench lay-out make for good daylong riding if you ain't in a hurry.

Might be fine for around Birmingham, btw; except for parts of Hoover & Vestavia Hills, you got a lot of flat streets down there, and that's where she shines.

I kept getting tempted to trade it away for slightly more power (like a Symba or Compagno - SOMEBODY BUY A COMPAGNO & WRITE A REAL REVIEW!) but with EFI, liquid cooling, nice flat seat, and carrying capacity, I just can't let it go. Plus I love the ugliness. I do need to find some kind of stickers or graphics or paint scheme to dress up the blank sides...

There's a blog ride report out there somewhere about a very young couple who took an extended trip two-up with all their stuff - across Canada! I'm still trying to figure how the both of them managed to sit on a C3, and with all their gear. Fella also did the last CBR on a C3 - not fast, but he did it.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

BeefSupreme wrote:RHM: I don't consider your shot to be at me, but at "the panty dropper", and he demands an apology.

I'm trying to talk my sister into a Like. Can she hold 50mph indicated comfortably? Or is that an effort for her?
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

ravenlore wrote:

I'm trying to talk my sister into a Like. Can she hold 50mph indicated comfortably? Or is that an effort for her?
Ditto that; I'm interested in the "actuals" also...Beef, what's the Panty Dropper's" cruising speed?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I'm pretty much just bumping this to try to get BeefSupreme's attention, as i still very much wish to know the Like's real-world cruising speed. :D
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Ravenlore, there may be an answer for you over on http://www.kymcoforum.com/

You can read but must register to post - my app to register has been pending admin approval for a week...
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

redhandmoto wrote:Ravenlore, there may be an answer for you over on http://www.kymcoforum.com/

You can read but must register to post - my app to register has been pending admin approval for a week...
I'm registered over there but i've yet to see a day-to-day performance discussion...and it's not a high-traffic forum at least imho
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

arrrgghhhh!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ravenlore wrote:I'm pretty much just bumping this to try to get BeefSupreme's attention, as i still very much wish to know the Like's real-world cruising speed.
Maybe this will shed a little light on your question...
On KymcoForums in the Like 200i Area a User wrote: ...what I want to know also is the Top Speed that you can see on your speedometer from your like 200i, cause I found that an Agility 125cc gives better top speed than this fuel injected 160cc bike!!!
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ravenlore wrote:I'm trying to talk my sister into a Like. Can she hold 50mph indicated comfortably? Or is that an effort for her?
Best info I could find:

JustGottaScoot's Review of the Like 200i

If it does a real-world 63mph (66Kymph?)with a 220lb. rider, a 50mph cruise should be viable.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

ravenlore wrote:I'm pretty much just bumping this to try to get BeefSupreme's attention, as i still very much wish to know the Like's real-world cruising speed. :D
Sorry for the absence, my Like tops out around 64ish. GPS checked at 62-3. (my speedo is pretty darn accurate). I've heard though there are two different ECU's on the likes for some reason that let it achieve different top speeds. One around 70, the other around 60. Still need to look into that.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Since my review of the Like 200i in 2010, Kymco has cut the MSRP by $800 and, I believe, the body panels were one of the items altered to achieve the lower price. I have spoken with a couple of Like owners who purchased newer scooters at the lower price and they have been happy with their purchases. Some rattles seem to be cropping up, especially from the topcase. Otherwise, I don't have any reports of the kind of body issues that can occur with the super-cheap mainland China machines.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

evilscooterkitty wrote:Since my review of the Like 200i in 2010, Kymco has cut the MSRP by $800 and, I believe, the body panels were one of the items altered to achieve the lower price.
Aha! Sooo...body panels changed mid-production to help bring the MSRP down!

Thank you for shining some light on this matter. Good to hear, given its otherwise solid construction and good performance...