29 degrees! Let's RIDE!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

29 degrees! Let's RIDE!

Post by pugbuddy »

Went out last night and found that the right front tire of my RAV4 was flat as a pancake. As it was dark, freezing cold and I was in no mood to fix it anyway, I decided to ride to work this morning!

It was a glorious 29 degrees with a 15-20mph NW wind! My fingers were freezing as I was jetting up the highway because I forgot that I own a pair of "hippo hands" so I was relying solely on my gloves for warmth!

But it was fun to ride and I enjoyed it after not using the scoot for a week or so (far too long)! I'm looking forward to more but first I have to take to take the tire in and find out why it was flat. I talked to my neighbor and he said two of his were flat last night too. We think there may be hooligans about....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I hate Oklahoma Hooligans!

(spoken in Dan Aykroyd/ Elwood Blues Ala "I hate Illinois Nazis").

Good job riding in the cold. I'm still fighting off the effects of some poor life choices this past Saturday night so I drove my truck this morning. It was 12 degrees and it'll be 16 tomorrow morning so I may drive again. I have a dentist appointment and the Buddy is pretty rough when your mouth is sore.
I'll ride the rest of the week, though! Highs in the low 40's and lows in the low 20's.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Hit 41 degree on the ride home (cold for Phoenix). Actually had to stop at the bastion of all things Redneck and Trailer Trash, Wal Mart, for some cheap ski gloves and a neck warmer since I rode to work with only my jacket, full face and Fox Dirtpaw light gloves.

:(

There's a reason I moved to Phoenix. This was it... I hate the cold
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Tonight I had the first ride of the year that reminded me, definitively, that it is now winter riding season. Not so cold compared to what many of you are dealing with but still, I wasn't dressed for it and froze my b@%%$ off! Right now they are somewhere up around my lungs trying to thaw out. I am hoping they will return to somewhere in my lower abdomen by morning and that I'll be back to normal somewhere around noon.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Great ride in today on the Honda, the luxury of cheap heated grips and the Amazon grip covers cannot be overstated. Was 30 when I left, is supposed to get to 37 today with bright sunshine. There is nothing like riding in comfort in the cold... and there is nothing worse than riding in severe pain from the wrong accessories and not wearing the layers in the cold!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Guess it's southern Arizona's turn. Freeze warnings this morning. Temps around Tucson range from high 20s to low 30s. Thermometer in the backyard reads 29. It's clear and sunny, though. Shouldn't be low for too long; forecasts call for a high of 70 today.

Still riding today, but I need to swap out a few bits of kit for better insulated ones.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

It isn't the 29ºF or so that kept me from riding this morning and yesterday, but the H2O falling on the road and trying to make up its mind what state of matter it's in. :(
skully93

Post by skully93 »

rode to work at 10 degrees yesterday. it was OK, but the wind on the way home was chilly!

Today unfortunately was icy, so no dice. Should be back in the saddle the rest of the week.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

It does get a little serious under 40* and a few extras in the glove box, gloves, scarf, and what ever it takes are in order now. R
phatch

Post by phatch »

I rock these modified mittens in the AM when it's chilly:
But I'm sure heated grips would be awesome... just don't want to bother.

Also, a scarf pulled up to my chin under the helmet strap, long underwear, fleece, rain coat (more wind protection), and the summer riding jacket (vents EVERYWHERE but still too hot for Phoenix summers).

All this for like 40-50 degree weather... what a wuss. My family back in MN would be scoffin'!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Been riding here lately between just above and just below freezing. As long as it's dry, I'll ride. To be fair, I'm going less than 2 miles generally for work or quick errands. I just wear a winter jacket and some ski gloves and a full face helmet and that's been working fine so far.

A couple times it was windy and the wind chill definitely makes things a bit uncomfortable, but nothing unbearable so far.

I work downtown here and ride almost every day to work and I think people just figure I'm crazy. :twisted:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

phatch wrote:I rock these modified mittens in the AM when it's chilly:
But I'm sure heated grips would be awesome... just don't want to bother.

Also, a scarf pulled up to my chin under the helmet strap, long underwear, fleece, rain coat (more wind protection), and the summer riding jacket (vents EVERYWHERE but still too hot for Phoenix summers).

All this for like 40-50 degree weather... what a wuss. My family back in MN would be scoffin'!
Hey, when you pass some of those golf courses and up through Scottsdale, temps dip well into the 30's! I may be a wuss, but I don't want to be a cold one! I opted for one of the river road textile jackets since they have good linings, non-sportbike looks and are quite affordable. Works for 99% of the weather we have in Arizona. Although, I am concerned about later this week when it calls for rain. My wife needs the car that same day :|
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

Here in Boulder County (Lafayette), I ride my Buddy 50 year round, as long as the roads are clear. FF Sparx helmet, NOJ neck scarf, and 3-4 thin, hi-tec layers under a Cortech jacket, and winter gloves keep me completely comfortable down to single digit temps. My 2008 Buddy has reached 12,000 miles this way with minimum suffering. I wouldn't do it if it hurt.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Dirvin wrote:Here in Boulder County (Lafayette), I ride my Buddy 50 year round, as long as the roads are clear. FF Sparx helmet, NOJ neck scarf, and 3-4 thin, hi-tec layers under a Cortech jacket, and winter gloves keep me completely comfortable down to single digit temps. My 2008 Buddy has reached 12,000 miles this way with minimum suffering. I wouldn't do it if it hurt.
Yo Dirvin!
I ride year round, too. I don't when there's snow or ice on the ground or in the forecast. And, I don't when temps are below about 15 because my commute is about 22 miles one way at speeds of 50-55 bmph. Even with heated grips and handlebar muffs, it's just hard keeping the fingertips warm when temps drop that low! Currently over 32K miles! Keep scootin'!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

It has been in the high twenties some nights and morning riding in St. Louis, and I can't say I love getting suited up, but I do enjoy the rides.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Dirvin wrote:Here in Boulder County
Yes! Another Colorado Buddy commuter!

Ironically Tocsik rides from your neck of the woods down toward me daily. My commute is usually 5miles each way, not so bad. I have the Kymco for the 35 mile one to save time :P

I want the heated grips on my Kymco though!
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Rode the last two mornings in 28 to 29 degrees. Was awesome.
Milt

Post by Milt »

I don't commute, but an old knee problem has finally prevented me from driving cages anymore (can't swing my 36" inseam legs into the driver's side without popping the joint). So it's either the Harley or the Buddy if I go anywhere.

I found heated glove liners that keep my fingertips quite comfortable even at 80 mph on the hog down to (so far) the mid twenties. I just plug the cord into my battery tender hook-up. Now, I just need to find a connector for the power outlet on the Buddy, so I don't risk dumping the hog on snow covered roads - the Buddy is a lot easier to pick up...
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

It'd been snowing here, thank the good lord, so I've been having fun watching my battery charge onthe tendar. Envious of those who have dry pavement.

Riding in 29 degrees reminds me of some of my morning rides to work this fall and lobster mitts are great !!!! Also, I use a heated jacket, long undies, and neck gator.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Milt wrote: Now, I just need to find a connector for the power outlet on the Buddy, so I don't risk dumping the hog on snow covered roads - the Buddy is a lot easier to pick up...
Sorry, Milt, but the power jack on the Buddy is only fused for 1 amp (think phone charger only), so your heated gear will blow it immediately. You could rig a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery to avoid this fuse, but with the clothing's draw and the Buddy's anemic charging system, you're going to need to hit the Battery Tender after every ride.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I had my first sub-freezing commute last Friday: 30.4'F. I finally gave up on my quest for heated gloves and installed heated grips instead. Paired with my heated jacket liner, it made a HUGE difference. Now I just need some better gloves. The ones I have are Hipora insulated, and that stuff is nothing but junk. No moisture venting at all, so my hands are soaked within 15 minutes, and once that happens, no amount of heating can save my fingertips. Think I'm going to try some ski-mobile mittens. Logically, the fingers should do better if they can share warmth instead of each fending for itself! :wink:

On the down side, that cold commute aggravated my week-long sore throat, and now I'm rockin' a full-blown nasty sinus infection. I can't sleep for choking on my own secretions, and I've become a creepy mouth-breather. :cry:

~SM
Milt

Post by Milt »

"Sorry, Milt, but the power jack on the Buddy is only fused for 1 amp (think phone charger only), so your heated gear will blow it immediately. You could rig a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery to avoid this fuse, but with the clothing's draw and the Buddy's anemic charging system, you're going to need to hit the Battery Tender after every ride."

Thanks - I suspected that might be the case...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

It was 29 again this morning. Ride to work was a bit brisk, but it's totally worth the weird looks that cage-bound desert dwellers give you. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

So it wasn't in the 20's but I rode to work this morning in 37 degrees with SSW winds of 20+ mph. It wasn't that bad, I think I can go down to the low 30's. My only concern is frozen patches. It hasn't been cold enough long enough for anything to freeze but its still in the back of my mind.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I use the Widier heated gloves (since out of business?) and they work great on the Buddy 125. Ride year round and you learn what battles to pick with mother nature.
spodgorski

Post by spodgorski »

I'm still crushin here in Chicago. It's been in the 20s and windy. I've winterized my Buddy 125 but still scootin on my Buddy 50. It runs great in the cold temps. It's a cold drive but that's when you know your livin! :P
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Second 29-degree morning this week that I've ridden to work. I really should think about finding some thermal long johns or getting the wind deflector kit for the Yager. :roll:

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I love 29 degrees, it's 10 and 12 that are bumming me out!

still, just LOTS of layers :P.
stASH

Post by stASH »

My last 29 degree ride resulted in a crash on ice. I'm mostly ok, but I can't fit my riding gloves over this damn splint on my wrist. Can't ride until I can figure that one out.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Buddyland:

I ride regularly when it is in the 30s degreez range and pouring down rain.

I found plastic bags covering your gloves secured with a wide rubber band protects well against gloves eventually getting soaking wet and resultant cold hands. Works on your feet too.

Rick71454