fender rubbing

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mattgordon

fender rubbing

Post by mattgordon »

My Rattler 110 has had a "chush-chush" type sound as I roll it in and out of the garage since new (125 miles ago!) . I thought it was the variator or something..."normal" if you will. Come to discover the rear fender, (the black one sits close to the rear tire) and that the minor out-of-roundness of the tire has rubbed and melted a fairly sizable void into it, at the lead edge way up near the engine. I removed the fender, which required removing the air-filter box, and cut about 2" off the front edge and re-installed. Will asl the dealer to replace under warranty. Anyone else had their fender rub?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

No problems here. Keep us updated.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
songprayer

Post by songprayer »

I have had my Buddy 125 for 17 months and noticed that "whoosh- whoosh" when I got home today - It makes me nervous if I don't know the problem - I will check and see if it is the fender - I guess I don't notice it when the engine is running because the engine is so much louder - I always turn it off to park it under the stairs at my apartment building (harder to steal and have to knock the stairs down to his the scooter) - I hesistate to ride it until I check it out
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

My fender rubbed my tire a little bit too. Not enough of my fender disappeared to make me worry about it or consider asking for a new one. I just figured I pushed it or something while cleaning it.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

nissanman wrote:My fender rubbed my tire a little bit too. Not enough of my fender disappeared to make me worry about it or consider asking for a new one. I just figured I pushed it or something while cleaning it.
I discovered my Vespa GTS did the same thing. I think they are just prone to vibrate (being mounted directly to the powerttrain)and need to be periodically tightened, or at least checked. Lesson learned for me.
songprayer

fender rubbing

Post by songprayer »

I don't know what the noise was but the next time I went out I didn't hear it anymore - Maybe I rode over somthing that got hooked somehow - Anyway I put my hands under the fender and got pretty dirty so maybe I got it off and didn't realize it with all the dirt and grease on my hands