How to tell the missus...I want a bigger scoot...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tenchi

How to tell the missus...I want a bigger scoot...

Post by Tenchi »

Fell in love with the PCX 150 Honda. Love my blue 2009 125 Buddy, but I like the larger wheels, liquid cooled design, not to mention that if my local shop stops servicing Genuine, I am out of luck. Should I break this to her on Valentine's Day after she gets squired around town with chocolates to follow?
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Be careful. I've heard that valve adjustment on the PCX's is a PITA if you do it yourself, and expensive if you have Honda do it. Reportedly requires a lot of tear-down prep to be able to get at them.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

our very own Jprestonian could help you in that regard.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tell her you'd like her to have the Buddy, and that you'd get "oh, just some other scoot".
The majority is always sane - Nessus
qballfc

Post by qballfc »

What scooter shops would stop servicing Genuine scooters? SJ Vespa? Have you heard that they're not going to carry Genuine? SF Scooter Centre also does Genuine. Have 2 scoots!!!
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

I'd be surprised in SJ BMW MC discontinues sales/service of Genuine. Anywho, you can earn points with the missus by helping her out around the house and putting a dent in the honey do list.
qballfc

Post by qballfc »

What scooter shops would stop servicing Genuine scooters? SJ Vespa? Have you heard that they're not going to carry Genuine? SF Scooter Centre also does Genuine. Have 2 scoots!!!
Whimscootie

Re: How to tell the missus...I want a bigger scoot...

Post by Whimscootie »

Tenchi wrote:Fell in love with the PCX 150 Honda. Love my blue 2009 125 Buddy, but I like the larger wheels, liquid cooled design, not to mention that if my local shop stops servicing Genuine, I am out of luck. Should I break this to her on Valentine's Day after she gets squired around town with chocolates to follow?
I lusted after the PCX for over a year too, but be sure you get in a test ride before you worry about what the missus will say.

Things are not always what we dream them to be, if ya know what I mean.

If you DO need an alibi, I always go for this one: "But Honey, I need a bigger, more powerful scooter so that I am safer in traffic!"

Usually works...
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

you don't tell her....you TELL her

then you run :P :lol:
Riding is riding
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

I'm almost 58....can't run further than a flying frying pan. Try again... :D
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....
Rob

Post by Rob »

How about "Does this scoot make my rear look big?" .... if she answers yes, you'll have your rational to get a new scoot. Most women seem to relate to that line of logic.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Tenchi wrote:I'm almost 58....can't run further than a flying frying pan. Try again... :D
blame it on latent midlife crisis. Tell her you want a ninja so that you can keep up with the younger dudes. Than start negatiationg down cc's until you get to 150-170. Or come il with something like parachuting as a new hobby. New scooter purchaise will seem like a sane thing to do in comparison :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stormswift wrote:blame it on latent midlife crisis. Tell her you want a ninja so that you can keep up with the younger dudes. Than start negatiationg down cc's until you get to 150-170. Or come il with something like parachuting as a new hobby. New scooter purchaise will seem like a sane thing to do in comparison :twisted:
Now HERE is the strategy that will actually work! :wink:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Dooglas wrote:
Stormswift wrote:blame it on latent midlife crisis. Tell her you want a ninja so that you can keep up with the younger dudes. Than start negatiationg down cc's until you get to 150-170. Or come il with something like parachuting as a new hobby. New scooter purchaise will seem like a sane thing to do in comparison :twisted:
Now HERE is the strategy that will actually work! :wink:
Yep, this is the winner.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Whatever she says when you tell her, I find this response works best: "Yeah, but it's not a motorcycle."
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I will just come and steal it for you. Get the new scoot. I'll return it, (recovered wink wink) And she can ride it.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Just hope she doesn't decide that she wants "something" bigger as well.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

That's easy.
You get the bike and she get a trip to France.
Worked for us.
ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

Do you bring home 50% of the bacon? Yes? Start frying by buying! Speaking as a wife, I can't comprehend telling my hubby he can't have something he wants. Never done it. Never will.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ScootsMcGillicuddy wrote:Do you bring home 50% of the bacon? Yes? Start frying by buying! Speaking as a wife, I can't comprehend telling my hubby he can't have something he wants. Never done it. Never will.
Where have you been all my life?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

charlie55 wrote:
ScootsMcGillicuddy wrote:Do you bring home 50% of the bacon? Yes? Start frying by buying! Speaking as a wife, I can't comprehend telling my hubby he can't have something he wants. Never done it. Never will.
There's more than just a few out there...

Live below your means, save for the future, take the extra and do whatever ya want with it. Oh, do a surprise oil change while I'm off in the woods on another bike...you can buy whatever you want.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

siobhan wrote:
charlie55 wrote:
There's more than just a few out there...
There sure are! When I turned 50 I told Bocette that I wanted a new bike or a 30 year old blond...her response?

"Well you better go buy a new bike 'cause you're not mature enough for a 30 year old".

A while after my boss asked me how I talked my wife into "letting" me buy the Burgman.

All I could say was "What the f*** are you talking about?" and smiled :mrgreen:

Yeah...she's a keeper!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

HA!

Great thread still.

My wife glares at me. I bring home most of the income, and occasionally I just go "well, I'm going to do XYZ".

So far she has rarely put her foot down.
Syd

Post by Syd »

siobhan wrote:Live below your means, save for the future, take the extra and do whatever ya want with it.
Now there's some advice for life!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

My motto is : credit card is a method of convenience, not a method of payment. So far it works.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur