125cc Buddy Engine on 50cc Buddy - Safe?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ElCid

125cc Buddy Engine on 50cc Buddy - Safe?

Post by ElCid »

Hi Guys (and Girls!),

I've been riding a Roughhouse for a few months and I'm thinking about upgrading to something a little bigger. A local guy on Craigslist (in Atlanta) has a decent looking Buddy that I'm considering.

It's a 50cc bike, but he's dropped a 125cc Buddy engine into it. Before I go any farther, I was hoping you guys could tell me if that mod is kosher or not. I know a lot of it depends on the quality of the installation, but can the rest of the bike handle the upped HP?

Here's the CL post, if it helps.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3571593975.html

And yes, I know I should worry about buying a scooter from someone who uses the words "scotter" , "dependabal" , and "allso" in the same brief post.

Thanks.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Might be worth it actually. there are several other mods done that I can see. the only thing I'd be weary of is why they upgraded to a 125 without just purchasing a 125 in the first place. generally speaking, the entire engine can bolt right up to a 50 frame. I would upgrade the brakes and preferably do a 12" front rim if it fits. That's just me though.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The first thing I would check is that it is a PGO or "Genuine" motor and not some generic GY6
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

There's a lot of other oddness in there, and $800 is....low. I would make sure that if your stated doesn't have titles for 50cc bikes, you can verify the VIN and such.

It could just be that he was having fun replacing parts, or it could be a hodge podge due being wrecked/stolen. I tend not to trust people who can't spell scooter....

+1 to the engine check too!
TVB

Post by TVB »

That level of spelling difficulty suggests that English is not his native language rather than him being illiterate.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Also - blue front rim?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

TVB wrote:That level of spelling difficulty suggests that English is not his native language rather than him being illiterate.
You're probably right. Since my job is 'net based most of the time, I tend to jump to conclusions that most people are illiterate :P.

In the end, I guess you can show up and test drive it, see how it feels to you!
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

but can the rest of the bike handle the upped HP?
I'd be interested to know that also.
Are there any structural differences between an RH (or Buddy 50) and the 125? I believe they are the same dimensions.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

The biggest concern has already been stated: is it a Genuine motor or some other cheap Chinese junk.

A good reason for this mod is take advantage of keeping the bike a "50cc" for registration and parking while still getting the speed of a 125. It only works if you don't get caught, though.

Another consideration is the brakes. I think the 125 and higher Buddy's have beefier brakes than the 50's.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Rear shock looks right but drive case is black.

On the case it should be stamped PGO (06 model) or Genuine (post 06 models)
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:Also - blue front rim?

With that Avi you're concerned about a blue rim? :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BuddyRaton wrote: With that Avi you're concerned about a blue rim? :mrgreen:
Dare you make fun of my beloved Abigail? :evil:
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: With that Avi you're concerned about a blue rim? :mrgreen:
Dare you make fun of my beloved Abigail? :evil:
I think Abigal freaking rocks!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Considering the neighborhood I would be very cautious. But that is
just me. :(
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

What are the 50cc laws in Hotlanta? With the mis-mash of parts on that thing it looks like some one was trying to circumvent some laws.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Good point. Ga. law allows a 50c scoot to be operated with no insurance,
no tag, and only a valid drivers license for car operation. A 50cc can not be
operated at night or on other than 2 lane roads. I have heard of 150 cc
rigs being relabeled as 50 cc to get around the law. Unless the rider is doing
something stupid or breaking a traffic law most officers tend to not notice
them. Oh, and helmets are required also. :?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wolfhound wrote:A 50cc can not be operated at night or on other than 2 lane roads.
Seriously? Are bicycles also banned from the streets after dark?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

TVB, don't think there are a lot of laws pertaining to bicycles. You cant ride
them on the free ways but other than that I don't know. 50ccs are considered
mopeds which applies to motorized pedal bikes but is applied to any 50cc scoot. Up here in the rural areas we have a lot of geared bicycle groups that
ride on weekends and unfortunately tend to ride 3 or 4 abreast when they should ride single file. 2 or 3 get hit every year. In the city I assume that
bicycles are used more but you dont hear much about them.
:(
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

TVB wrote:
Wolfhound wrote:A 50cc can not be operated at night or on other than 2 lane roads.
Seriously? Are bicycles also banned from the streets after dark?
What he said.

If that's true then I must be pretty lucky to have not been stopped by Johnny Law at this point. I've done both two-lane, in the dark, and two-lane in the dark. I just don't make a habit of it since people are already terrible drivers around here.

In Georgia with a MC permit, which would denote having anything *over* 50cc, then you can't scoot in the dark nor can you have a passenger. But if you're fully licensed then those two activities are fine. And if you're on a 50cc and wearing a helmet, you're within the law.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To the OP...who hasn't checked back in since the initial and first MB post. This is a bike I would not even consider buying.

Just too much hinky stuff going on for my taste and I am a person that has bought what others consider "questionable" scooters in the past.
www.teamscootertrash.com

TVB

Post by TVB »

Wolfhound wrote:TVB, don't think there are a lot of laws pertaining to bicycles. You cant ride them on the free ways but other than that I don't know. 50ccs are considered mopeds which applies to motorized pedal bikes but is applied to any 50cc scoot.
Most traffic laws cover bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars, and trucks, all at once. They don't usually bother to single out specific kinds except to say "anything bigger than..." or "anything slower than..." So a law that banned mopeds from doing something would usually also include bicycles, by default.

I've just searched for Georgia laws applying to mopeds, and couldn't find anything that said they can't be operated after dark or on 4-lane roads, including the web site of a Georgia attorney who specializes in accident cases. What I've found says that they have to obey the same laws as motorcycles, can't be ridden two-abreast, and can't go on roads with a minimum speed above 35mph (which should be obvious). The closest thing I found to suggest that they couldn't be on the street after dark is the law that specifically says they don't have to have lights (but they can). Any vehicle without lights can't be on any public road at night... but any one with lights can. Including a bike or moped.

P.S. Helmets are required.
spodgorski

Post by spodgorski »

No Way!!!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Basically he is correct and I was thinking of the M license which is valid for
6 months. A great many down here riding scoots just renew the Class M
every 6 months. M requires that you must be 16 years or older. Motorcycle operation in daylight hours only. No passengers allowed. No limited access
roadways. You would be surprised at how many down here just renew the
M. A dealer friend of mine was riding and encountered a group of motorcycle
riders in a rest area. They got to talking about things in general and he asked how many had MC licenses. Out of 20 only 2 did. The rest had regular drivers licenses. :oops:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

PS: You can ride a 150cc on our expressways and interstates down here
but you would have to be suicidal to do it. An 18 wheeler passing you at 80-85 (not unusual speed in this state) would create a lot of side wind.
:D