Colorado "low power scooter" stickers on regular s

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mhardgrove

Colorado "low power scooter" stickers on regular s

Post by mhardgrove »

Noticing a bunch of "low power scooter" stickers on scoters over 50cc (Setlla/PX Vespas/Blackjacks/ scooters with dipsticks on the engines side indicating its not a 50cc). Do the cops in Denver even check displacement when they hand these stickers out, or are they fake? The kicker was seeing a Honda Bergman (motorcycle size scooter for those unaware) ON THE SIDEWALK chained to a pole with one of these stickers on the rear where the license plate should be. Seeing that just makes me wonder if I'm just noticing things others are not?
Stormswift

Re: Colorado "low power scooter" stickers on regul

Post by Stormswift »

mhardgrove wrote:Noticing a bunch of "low power scooter" stickers on scoters over 50cc (Setlla/PX Vespas/Blackjacks/ scooters with dipsticks on the engines side indicating its not a 50cc). Do the cops in Denver even check displacement when they hand these stickers out, or are they fake? The kicker was seeing a Honda Bergman (motorcycle size scooter for those unaware) ON THE SIDEWALK chained to a pole with one of these stickers on the rear where the license plate should be. Seeing that just makes me wonder if I'm just noticing things others are not?
A Bergman masquarading as a 50cc? ROFMAO. That takes some chutzpah.
Since Maryland started requiring registering. All scooters and insurance the masquarading became pointless in our state
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nope, they pretty much ignore it.

I think if they had a reason to care, there would be an issue. I would wonder if the burgie would be flying down the highway, only to have a cop look behind and see no plate.

I don't think the form to get the sticker goes beyond the honor system.

Myself, I have had a lot of problems registering mine properly (paperwork finally arriving), so I've driven my 150 with only license and insurance for over a year. I'm careful about it, but still.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Cops are like most people that assume that all scooters are low powered. The thought that my scooter can go 65 just baffles people!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Not just scooters. I see full on cafe racers (ninja 650) with plates parked on the sidewalk every now and then. As you said "chutzpah".
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Scooterboi wrote:Not just scooters. I see full on cafe racers (ninja 650) with plates parked on the sidewalk every now and then. As you said "chutzpah".
And Harley fatboys!

My favorite was making the meter maid surrender during Mayhem last year.

"You can't park there...or there.or...uhh..well..uh..JUST DON'T PARK IN A DOORWAY!"
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Hilarious! :lol:
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

hey... when local police are ticketing me for doing my laundry after 10pm for public disturbance, I'm REALLY nervous about the liscensing of my scooter. Could Coloradians please respond to their experience??? Are you 50cc, 125 cc or greater????
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've had 50cc and currently have 150 and 250. I have parked both pretty much wherever whim decides, and have had 0 issues.

However, I live in Denver proper, so the local authorities probably have more on their plate. I imagine in smaller areas, especially Avon where it is perceived that lots of well to do folks have second homes (I refute the idea, since I think they all live in Boulder and can't drive for beans), they probably get all the revenue they can.

if you've got 50cc, it is legal in CO to park them on racks on anyplace a bicycle is allowed. Your city/county may have overridden those rules though, and since you have a 125, you're supposed to park in a parking space. I find that to be nonsense, but you have to draw the line someplace I guess.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

When I was there for Amerivespa, I saw more than one GTS 250 with the "2" broken off the badge, and many other models with the displacement taped over or removed.

Even in Chicago, where a 50cc scooter must follow pretty much the same rules as an automobile, people try to pass off scooters as mopeds all the time. One defunct shop printed up placards listing true, but irrelevant, bits of ordinances for riders to put on their scooters to avoid tickets.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

B125. I read it on this forum and found it to be more true than not. The cop is either walking the beat or driving it. Walking (Segue, bicycle, etc.) will nail you every time. Driving will ticket those that are visible from the street. Human nature really. However, parking illegally every day will eventually get you a ticket, regardless. (duh)