New to Scooters - Antitheft/Security

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

instantkarma

New to Scooters - Antitheft/Security

Post by instantkarma »

Hello all, I don't have my scooter yet, but I'm going to buy a Buddy 125 after I (hopefully) pass my motorcycle safety class this weekend. So far I have done quite a lot of research on most of the types of gear that are needed, and I feel that I have been pretty thorough with most of these. However, I seem to be completely lost when it comes to what devices I should get as theft deterrents. I've seen positive and negative opinions on just about every type of lock, alarm, cover, etc. and feel that I am back to where I began my research. I live near a police station in a suburban environment, so I feel that my future scooter will most likely be safe at home regardless. However, this scooter is definitely an investment I want to protect and I don't want to take any chances.

That being said, starting from scratch, what do you all recommend I purchase? As a college student with a limited budget, I may only be able to purchase one at a time, so are there items I should get first or ones that may not be necessary? I'm planning on getting a cover since it will be kept in my driveway in the elements (no garage, unfortunately) but as far as locks, cables, chains, or alarms go, what should I look into? I've seen mostly positive things about the Xena Disc Lock Alarm and I don't mind the possible "embarrassment" of a loud false alarm going off every now and then. I also saw something somewhere about a Gorilla brand alarm that has a wireless remote to shut it off that sounded interesting. Does anyone have personal experience with either of these?

Any input would be great and I apologize for writing such a novel, my original intentions were to keep it short.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I have a Gorilla which is working well. I would point out that if you'll be parking the scoot for a couple weeks, you'll want to keep it on a Battery Tender as the alarm system will eventually drain a battery.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
instantkarma

@PeteH

Post by instantkarma »

I wouldn't have thought to do that for an alarm system, you probably just saved me from a future dead battery. Thanks!
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

The recommendation I've read several places is to have three layers of theft deterrent (including the standard column lock) and good insurance. The following is based on my own research and experience. YMMV!

My preference is a Kryptonite NY Noose + EV lock and an alarmed disk lock. The disk lock is not Xena but that's the one I would get. I park in a garage so I don't use all of them all the time. Mostly I just use the column lock and disk lock. Outside and overnight, definitely use everything. In the garage and I'm out of town, definitely use everything.

If you go the chain/lock route (not a cable lock) be sure to lock it through the frame such that they can't just unbolt a part to slip the chain.

"No no's" include:
- Through the forks. (They just unbolt the wheel.)
- Front wheel. :fp:
- Around the rear shock. :fp:
- Through the center stand or the welded loop on the side stand.
- etc.

I thread my chain through the frame just above the center stand (this spot is surrounded by welds) and, if my anchor point is close enough and thin enough, around the entire floorboard and then around the anchor point. The only problem with using the frame at the center stand is the *freaking* hot muffler that is right there. Burned myself (only once!) before I learned the trick. :oops: :cry:

The disk lock I use (Trimax TAL88) gives you the option of not using the alarm. The biggest problem with it is remembering to take the damn thing off before driving away. They give you a tether to attach to the handle bar but I have had people mess with it (with the startling consequences) so I now use a 3 ft, brightly collared climbing strap attached to the lock itself. I doesn't retract like the included tether and is immediately apparent lying on the ground when you walk up on the bike. Storing is a simple matter of winding the strap around the lock and stashing it in the leg shield storage.

Gorilla is a great alarm, but (IMHO) it can give you a false sense of security. If you don't have the bike attached to a solid anchor point it is easy and quick (we're talking a couple of seconds) for two or three guys to lift it into a truck or van and take off - screaming alarm or not. Anchor points should be something that is clearly secured or (if its a pole) taller than, say, 6 ft. so the the same two or three guys can't lift the bike over it. I installed a Kryptonite anchor point in my garage for just this reason.

Happy and safe riding. 8)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Here's the ultimate security thread: www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12044

I would add that if you can afford it, have full coverage on the scoot. I've had a bike stolen and there's nothing like getting a check to replace it. Keep ALL receipts for accessories as some policies cover those up to $3,000.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've got mine chained up with kryptonite, though they could unbolt the wheel. the gate is locked too though, and then a cover. my kymco also has a disc lock.

it's the little places that bother me, as sometimes it's hard to get something through the frame when you'd be parking at a weird angle to do so. I do wish kryptonite would not charge quite so much for the longer chain :P.

Otherwise, your absolute best bet is also to have insurance. if it get's stolen, then at least you're not totally out. Don't skimp on this. in fact, as a student, I recommend dialing the insurance to 11 if possible, so that if you get injured you're as covered as you can be.

You'll do fine on your MSF class, keep us posted of your victory!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

oh yeah, this is the cover I have been rockin for a year:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00112 ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems to hold up well. I bought a really nice (read: expensive) one from the shop, and it pretty much disintegrated within 6 months.
instantkarma

Post by instantkarma »

I am definitely going to get the best insurance that I can afford, that seems completely worth it to me. I believe I'm leaning towards the Kryptonite NY Noose and the yellow Xena Disc Lock to start with. I think with those two and my insurance my paranoia will be lowered to a reasonable amount haha. I live in a safe place, but anyone could be a potential thief. I also really like the idea of some drunk frat boy trying to be smart and mess with my scooter, then the Xena goes off and scares the crap outta him. :lol: The Gorilla seems nice to have the option of shutting it off remotely, but I think the Xena is better for my current budget since it is an alarm as well as a disc lock.

For the Xena disc lock...I believe I should get the one with the 6mm pin for my future Buddy 125. There seems to be two options: the XX6 or XZZ6L model. Does anyone recommend either of these over the other?

Also, that thread about scooter theft in Richmond was really helpful...I moved away from Richmond to go to school and can definitely say that I'm glad I didn't have a scooter while living there.

And I will definitely let you guys know if I pass Sunday night! I've looked over the different sites, watched several Youtube videos, and read the workbook through several times. If I fail the riding test, so be it, but i refuse to fail the written test and never get to even touch the scooter haha! Supposedly the location I am going to has a Buddy 125! Dibs!

Side note, you guys are awesome. I'm very excited to be a part of such a helpful, friendly online community. I've looked through several threads so far and have not come across a single snarky, rude response to a question, which is extremely rare online. I don't feel stupid asking questions on MB. Thank you for all of your help guys! :clap:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

no problem! I arrived here just over a year ago, and very much love this community. Very helpful
TVB

Post by TVB »

There's a loop of tube that runs side-to-side on the underside of the Buddy that is excellent for running a chain through. It's located near the base of the center stand, and may require a little groping to find, but it's far more secure than wrapping a chain around the floorboards (or pretty much anywhere else on the bike), because it would require good cutting tools and doing structural damage to the bike to cut through it.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

No problem! My preference is for the XX6 rather than the XZZL6 because the latter has the easily accessible plastic covering for the internal workings instead of metal. Its harder to replace the battery on the XX6 but (IMO) much more secure.

And you are quite welcome! In both senses. :lol:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I originally thought about a Xena, but the number of posts about triggering the alarm when removing the lock in the morning worried me a bit, as my wife and the neighbors might not take it well. So I opted for the Gorilla 8007 coupled with a TriMax disc lock. I'll still lock it up with a big Prima cable lock, too, if I'm someplace skeezy, but most of the time the Gorilla/TriMax/comprehensive insurance policy combo is a decent compromise.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I ride in some pretty cold weather and sometimes (below around 10 degrees) the alarm electronics seem to just get weird. Beeps for no reason, won't arm, et. al. I usually end up bringing it in the office for about ten minutes and then walking back out and putting it on the bike.

Other than this one flaw I like the Trimax (and I really like the option of not arming it) but the alarm is not all that loud. Sort of a "Hey!" vs. a "HEY!"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i like these for whenever possible. good deterrent and its what i use for cuffing my two scoots together

link

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290D ... reet+cuffs
Riding is riding
instantkarma

Post by instantkarma »

You guys are definitely giving me a lot of good options, I really appreciate it. I love the look of those "handcuff" locks haha! I think I have decided on the Xena XX6 for the disc lock/alarm. I like that I won't forget to take it off before I drive away because the thing would go off. I'll just break out the ear plugs for the first few times I try to work the thing. Once I get my own scoot I will search for that spot near the center stand, it sounds like a good place to secure it.

Good news! I passed the motorcycle test with flying colors! :D They even had a Buddy International for me to test on. It was my first experience on a scooter and I love it even more than I thought I would (and I was pretty excited about it to begin with)! I can't wait to get my own in a couple of weeks! I already miss riding haha.