Newbie - Help me choose

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DariaSen

Newbie - Help me choose

Post by DariaSen »

Hi all...

I've been lurking for over a year while I get ready to get my scooter.

I was all set to put a deposit on a Buddy 170i. I did the research, registered for my MSF class, got all my gear, ect.
When I told my husband about it he said "I thought you'd go for something more classic looking like a vintage Vespa."
Now I'm having an eternal crisis once I took a better look at the Stella 4T and am 2nd guessing myself.

Here's what I am looking for in a vehicle:
I'm planning to ride hopefully 1-2 days a week.
Road speed limits are 35-45mph.
One route that I hope to take is curvy and has some decent hills. (Southwest CT).
I haven't driven a manual anything since learning to drive at 16...almost 15 years ago. But I'll learn shifting (although different on a MC) in my MSF class.

I can see pros and cons for both...I'm torn. What's your advice for a newbie scooterist?

(P.S. Knowing my luck I'll by one or the other just to have a twist and go Stella get released a month later...but after waiting 3 years to get the go-ahead to get a scooter I'm impatient)
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

If after years of research and prep your choice was a Buddy...get the Buddy. Twisty Stella isn't even rumored to be available here til next year.

And welcome to MB!! :-D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Daria.

It's easy to fall into the over-research and overthink modes when making these type purchases. Paralysis by analysis ... I do it all the time! :D

Anyway, something to keep in mind, there's usually a decent market for used Buddies. If you go with the 170i and a year or two from now decide to move on to something else, there will likely be a solid resale value on your 170. It also seems to be a fairly common thing for folks to move on from their original scoot purchase, or add to the stable :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
issue31

Post by issue31 »

:D Go with the 170! I have one, and weight 270.No problems. Wife has a 125 and no problems. Also easy to work on for your own oil changes, spark plug, ect. Put a windshield on it, along with a rear rack. Then use a milk crate for a top case. You will love it!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Don't second guess yourself. Go with what you want.
If your husband wants you to get 'vintage' or vintage styling, you can always have more than one scooter at sometime in the future, they're addictive!
I at first, wanted a Stella just because they're drop dead sexy in my mind and may still at one point in the future have one.
My Buddy seemed to become a perfect fit for me as I've decided that shifting, although not too difficult, might be more than I want to have to think about while enjoying my rides.
Whether the 170 will have enough Ooompf for you? Likely should, I live in Pa near Hershey, and get about without too many difficulties on my 150....... :D
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Thanks peoples!

I'm going to stick with the Buddy. I just need to hear someone say (er...type) it out loud.

I think I'm just psyching myself out since I'm so close to my purchase date. I can always get something more vintage-y later on. My husband will just have to squeeze it in with the 7 MCs he has in the garage.
issue31

charger

Post by issue31 »

:oops: Forgot on my last post, get a Battery tender jr. as the 170 does not have a kick starter. Just keep the battery up if you do not ride it for awhile.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DariaSen wrote:Thanks peoples!

I'm going to stick with the Buddy. I just need to hear someone say (er...type) it out loud.

I think I'm just psyching myself out since I'm so close to my purchase date. I can always get something more vintage-y later on. My husband will just have to squeeze it in with the 7 MCs he has in the garage.
Good choice. You won't regret getting a 170i which, in fact, does have a vintage look to it. Mine has been mistaken for a Vespa more than once. Your husband has 7 MCs in the garage!! Wow. My kids are always on me because I own 4 scoots. Now I feel a lot better. Thanks!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia
'12 Yamaha Zuma 125
'87 Honda Helix 250
'02 Honda Reflex 250
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Vintage vs. modern: This is almost always the internal conflict of the new scooterist. I say get Buddy 170I. Easy to work on, not difficult to build riding skills, and super fun to ride. Vintage, although great looking, aren't always better...
Vintage comes with more work. Not only to ride but to keep road ready. To keep them up, it would be a good idea to learn a bit of wrenching to save money and save you from getting stranded on the side of the road should a cable snap. (although the 2 year warranty and road side assistance would be usefull)...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I'm inpatient as well and I REALLY WANT that Vespa 946. Been saving up for months and have enough to get a Vespa 300, but if it's too much I might get the latter cos the power and obvious storage space....
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

My husband unintentionally pops wheelies on his Stella several times a ride (often in an intersection). Also it stalls out when he starts out with not-to-uncommon regularity. My husband still loves his Stella!

If you don't want t a shiftie, and might be put off (or fall off) if that happened, then the Buddy definitely is for you! Personally, when I was a new rider popping wheelies definitely would have put me off, but I can only speak for myself.

Now everyone, before you reply that those things never happen to you on your Stella, I'm sure that it's true...it's probably just that his has throttle issues and needs a good carburetor cleaning (it's an '05 that he bought used with several thousand miles on it, and we really don't know it's past maintenance history)...still, as a new scooter rider, popping wheelies in an intersection is not something you will ever need to worry about with the Buddy! (Not saying the Buddy isn't speedy, because it is! I love my 125cc Buddy)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would suggest looking for a used Buddy 125. Save yourself a few thousand dollars and it will meet your needs fine.

As far as unintentionally popping wheelies on a Stella, clean the carb if that is the issue or practice more and learn to shift properly.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

great responses!

I think you'll love the Buddy. then you can get a vintage machine later on, and if it's not in perfect condition, you still have your 'daily' rider!

your husband will understand, he has 7...sheesh!
amy

Post by amy »

Whichever one you get/got, my guess is you'll end up riding a lot more than 1-2 days a week.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Unfortunately, because I'm in charge of the "mom car" and do most of my driving with my son, the only times I'll get to commute on the scooter is when my husband is off work.

We're already planning some kid free trips for the summer and fall so I know I'll get out on the scooter more. I can always make up excuses to get out on evenings..."oh forgot the milk for breakfast tomorrow...I'm going to run to the corner store... be back in 2 hours" :P

The 7 MCs..um yeah my husband has an addiction and we have a 4 car garage to enable him. He has 4 working vintage Japanese bikes, a custom Harley trike my dad built in the 70/80's that needs work, our 2 project bikes...and then we're also the winter storage for friends too. Between his bikes and project vehicles we still have to park our everyday cars in the driveway.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

DariaSen wrote:Unfortunately, because I'm in charge of the "mom car" and do most of my driving with my son, the only times I'll get to commute on the scooter is when my husband is off work.

We're already planning some kid free trips for the summer and fall so I know I'll get out on the scooter more. I can always make up excuses to get out on evenings..."oh forgot the milk for breakfast tomorrow...I'm going to run to the corner store... be back in 2 hours" :P

The 7 MCs..um yeah my husband has an addiction and we have a 4 car garage to enable him. He has 4 working vintage Japanese bikes, a custom Harley trike my dad built in the 70/80's that needs work, our 2 project bikes...and then we're also the winter storage for friends too. Between his bikes and project vehicles we still have to park our everyday cars in the driveway.
If it makes you feel any better once the snow is gone my car gets put in the parking lot in the back of my building and the Vespa gets my underground parking spot all to herself ;-)

In the winter the vespa is snuggled up in the corner of my parking spot; and the car gets to sleep in the garage too because a Hyundai Accent doesn't take up a whole parking spot.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

DariaSen wrote:...The 7 MCs..um yeah my husband has an addiction and we have a 4 car garage to enable him. He has 4 working vintage Japanese bikes, a custom Harley trike my dad built in the 70/80's that needs work, our 2 project bikes...and then we're also the winter storage for friends too. Between his bikes and project vehicles we still have to park our everyday cars in the driveway.
Ok, I must have met your husband, at the very least. Do you go to Rice-o-Rama in MA? If not, you guys should consider it. Schlep those UJMs up so we can all ooh & ahh.

Whatever you get, many happy miles to you.

For those shocked at the 7 bikes...collectors cannot help themselves.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Actually after reading your blog we're planning on going to Rice-O-Rama for my birthday. Hubs and our friends were drooling on the computers looking at the pictures.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Put my deposit on my scooter tonight. I was going to get the 170i but there was a new 2009 150cc St. Tropez. The 20 extra ccs just wasn't worth the extra $1000.
I get it next week and I'm so excited I could float! :D :D :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice!

St. Tropez is great.

I love my Italia, and the extra $1k you can get some gear and minor mods without breaking the bank.

No FI, but, you know, soon we'll be talking about anything with a carb as 'vintage' :P.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Congratulations! You're going to have a blast!