The Horror...The Horror...Stories!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

The Horror...The Horror...Stories!

Post by JHScoot »

Hi Guys and Girls =]

So what do YOU do when a complete and total cager gives you MC horror stories from hell although you didn't and most likely don't ask for one? I have gotten several and I try to be polite....but damn!

Latest one was funny. I was meeting with an acquaintance I meet with from time to time. She said "so you still ride that scooter?" and of course I said 'yes. But I am going to get a MC soon to ride the local freeways.'

She paused a few seconds and muttered the word "no." And I said 'no?' And she said "don't do it. Please, motorcycles are dangerous." And I said 'but I have been riding a scooter for two and a half years!' And she said "I know but motorcycles are dangerous." :roll:

And then it begins, oh lawdy lawdy!

"My brother HAD a MC." 'Oh really?' I reply. "Yeah he had a GSXR. But not anymore thank goodness" So I ask how long did he ride? "Not long, for heavens sake." Then I said 'well a scooter is like that only smaller so I don't understand the problem?'

And she said "I know what a scooter is. I had one in college." 'Oh really, what did you have?'

"A Honda SPREE" :rofl:

This made me crack up and she said "You're laughing at me!" And I said 'no I am laughing at your scooter. Scooters have come a ways since then.'

And now, the horror. She says "you want to see something?" 'Sure.' And she takes out her phone. "I took this on the freeway a couple weeks ago. It was bad, a big mess." And she holds up her phone for me to see a MC on the ground, in flames, and the rider nowhere to be found. She says "imagine if that were YOU. Imagine! I don't know where the rider is but he could be under that BIG truck, burning. I hope he wasn't, but I have a feeling...."

To which I just look at the picture and nod. I mean what does a rider say in this circumstance? Especially when it happens occasionally?

She says "I sent this to my brother and said 'you see.? Please, please don't ever get another motorcycle.' He said "oh don't worry, Never again!"

And so I feel sort of bad because maybe I am supposed to show some concern and consideration for the downed rider she showed me. But I did not. I don't know this person. I feel mild empathy as a fellow rider, but that's about it. If someone showed me a car accident in a photo and I still drove I would think "wtf I don't care. Why are you showing me that?"

I mean, what is a poor scooterist supposed to do when faced with such horror stories? I guess just take solace in the fact I don't ride a DANGEROUS MC and count my lucky days 'til I do!
Last edited by JHScoot on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

My friend and his girlfriend are ETMs. They come down once a week to work on the MCs and love to share horror stories to see me and the husband cringe.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Just thank your friend for the concern and then say, "Riding is too much fun".
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The spree still goes 35mph! still enough to hurt yourself, sheesh :P.

I have a lot of riding friends, but there are some of mine who always warn me how scary it is, but have never ridden themselves. My motorcycle friends don't always get the scoot, but at least they have the knowledge of the love of riding!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

A friend of mine told me a story of an acquaintance of hers that broke their ankle in 3 places on a scooter in a parking garage.

I agree with you...what the heck are you supposed to say? "Gee, that's awful!" But then you're thinking, how careful/competent could they have been to do that in a parking garage, for crying out loud? Maybe that person was a huge klutz that had no business being on a bike (even a non-powered one) in the first place!

Of course, there are other explanations--like a car coming from out of nowhere and speeding--but still, why tell me this? Did she really think I was going to throw up my hands in horror and sell all my scooters based on her story? :roll:

Sheesh!
TVB

Post by TVB »

A freak ankle-breaking accident in a parking garage can happen to anyone.

Yes, horrible things happen to people on motorcycles. And on scooters. And in cars. And once in a while on airplanes. And even sleeping in their home a sinkhole could form and the earth swallows them. There's risk in everything we do. We just need to be aware of those risks and take reasonable care to minimize them.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

right tvb

i think a part of it for me, so far as being irritated or confused, is the attitude. or maybe what it suggests as these come off as dire warnings and these folks think they are helping somehow, or giving me info i have not considered. it comes off as somewhat condescending imo

and sure, it freaks me out just a little. i am not superstitious but i do have to ride. and it never occurs to these doomsayers that right after these stories and pics shown i have to hit the streets and risk my life? not to be dramatic, but its risky and i know it. and that has nothing to do with why i ride. i really don't think about it as i am prepared as can be. i don't see how dire pics and bad stories benefit anything. so i am back to condescending

next time, quite seriously, i am just going to say 'i don't care, that has nothing to do with me.' as said as a rider i do feel mild empathy, but why bother saying it? just 'i don't care' is fine

one time i was talking to my sis and she said "you hear about that guy in the news" 'no what about?' "oh just some guy who is on the radio. he was talking about motorcycles and said he would probably die on one. been riding most of his life and he got in a crash on the way home and died'

oh really! cool story, sis. thanks for discussing dying on a motorcycle with me right before i go out and ride after discussing dying on a motorcycle

she said "you didn't hear about it? it was in the news. i thought you would have?" '

nope. not keeping track, i'm afraid

Riding is riding
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

What I find amazing is the same folks that tell me motorcycle horror stories (been riding 48 years) think/say nothing about me flying aerobatics in a Stearman bi-plane.

Anyways, I've learned to just listen if I must, minimize my comments, thank them for their concern....yada yada.

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

If this is the worst thing that happens to me in any specific day, I'm having a good day.

I just take it for what it probably is. In some cases, someone that cares and is genuinely concerned. In others, someone that may be a bit on the naive side and assuming that they are enlightening you on the obvious.

Regardless, I just listen and use the moment as a reminder of the increased risk that we all accept and to stay alert and drive defensively. Things that we can actively do to minimize our risks.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

When people preach to me the dangers of motorcycles and try to relate some story of some one person the knew who died I always immediately ask this question

"Interesting. So, what about the four or five people you know who were killed or maimed n car accidents? Or does that not count since you drive a car as well?".... and I just walk away after that.

I am too busy for hypocrites
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What sort of health are these people in? Do they smoke? Do they eat all organic, low fat, low sugar, low sodium foods? Do they drive cars? Do they text or talk on the phone while they drive? Do they know the odds of a car accident? Do they ski or snowboard? Mountain bike? How much time do they spend watching TV?

I think the "something's going to kill me eventually" logic I hear a lot of riders espouse is idiotic. At the same time, we're adults (well, most of us) who understand the risks of what we're doing.

I wouldn't get mad about it—the people who say such things may think they're acting out of concern and doing you some sort of favor. They probably don't realize that it's as ridiculously self-righteous and presumptuous as if you hit them with the questions I posed above or gave them a hard time every time they ate at Jack in the Box or drank a Coke.

No one tells me this kind of stuff, but my friends probably know better. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Heh.

These threads pop up quarterly, and I always hear new 'horror' stories. Yet, 2-wheeled vehicle sales are slowly creeping up!

I really do hope as Americans we can at least modify the 'need for speed' and huge vehicles into a practical value.

I work with a bunch of guys who grew up rural. they are hunters, and have honest uses for trucks, etc. They look at me very strangely. "so..you got rid of your car, and now you're going to sell the truck too? but what will you do?"

When I explain to them that we're going to have a pile of scooters and some kind of econobox (probably the in-law's beetle), they really look disturbed.

"but what if it snows?" "what if you need to transport bigger things?" Etc.

I explain that it's amazing what you adapt to when you make a solid choice, and barring any major problems, we'll be fine for quite some time.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I have a Spree. The older ones ('84-'85)will max out at 28mph, but the later models ('86-'87) are geared taller and can hit 33mph! Danger! :roll:

My coworkers give me crap all the time, as I'm the only daily rider at my office and one of two daily riders in the company. The other guy rides a 750 and dominates full car spots...might explain why his last bike was driven over. I digress; when other employees give me grief, my default reply is, " I can commute across town all week on two gallons of gas and I deal with the same crazies you do, yet I'm still here." Admittedly, they are distracted by the two gallons thing. Heck, I talked one guy into a new PCX from that retort, so it can't be too bad.

It's all good if you assume that none or the drivers around you see you and you're willing to bail to a slower road when traffic gets too hairy. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

JHScoot wrote:right tvb
next time, quite seriously, i am just going to say 'i don't care, that has nothing to do with me.' as said as a rider i do feel mild empathy, but why bother saying it? just 'i don't care' is fine
I like the attitude but think it could be improved. They are assuming you are not well informed about your activities which (when it happens to me) I find annoying, if not offensive. I prefer a more "in your face" approach. So go to the "Whose crashed" thread (if you haven't already) and when someone comes up to you spouting these horror stories you say, "Oh, that's nothing . . ." and proceed to give them an earful. The point comes across pretty quick that you ARE informed and decided to take your chances anyway.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ that is a good idea, scooterboi. i could use it as a teachable moment for them, and i always promote scooting positively to those who are.....positive
a gas station worker came up to me yesterday and asked about what license to have, etc. i told him a mc license and he said he didn't read english well and would have trouble with the test. i asked if he had a drivers license and he said he did and i told him to take $250 to MSF and they will help him get his license. he has a "49cc" :)

so we talked a little and he seemed like he would do it. said where he grew up he rode a lot. i know traffic freaks a lot of people out who used to ride. i get questions from asian folks sometimes. they like the scooter but won't ride in L.A. all over Vietnam....no problem!

but you know, i don't walk up to people eating fried chicken and fries and remind them eating it can kill them. hell, it just might. in a very real way. but really, now. that would be silly and border on rude

i see it as a similar thing, these mc warnings. from strangers and friends alike

this person recently was pretty determined, though. i mean she escalated to the picture to get her point across. grisly stuff :goofy:
Riding is riding
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Right! It's like smoking (or any other activity that has been determined to increase your risks in life). If someone is increasing my risks because of their actions, and/or without my consent, I will speak up. Otherwise, I might (repeat "might") offer the benefit of my experience, but the bottom line is I respect their decision and I expect the same consideration from them.

Its a fine line sometimes. I definitely do not appreciate others continuing efforts to "save" me when I have made it clear that I am happy in my "ignorance." But then again, they just might have that one piece of additional information that changes my whole perspective on the issue. I feel pretty knowledgeable about two-wheel safety so its not likely in this case. Mostly for politeness, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (initially anyway). Depends on how they react to my "earfull." :P
chas

Post by chas »

I usually just say something to the effect of "Wow, that's horrible. You really gotta be careful out there." and then I just sort of change the subject.

Quick, easy, painless.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

My best related conversation so far has to be with Mom.

"but...what if you died?"

Well, I am insured to the gills, and work will pay handsomely if I die. My wife won't go hungry.

"but what if you both die on them?" Then the cat will have plenty to keep himself in the tuna for the rest of his life, which is really all he wants.

Ironically, this is the only thing that can get my mother off the phone.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As a rider for 39 years and an MSF instructor for 7, and a licensed roadracer for a few more...I always ask the same question when the horror show starts....

How FAST was he going and how much did he have to DRINK...about 80% of the time that shuts them down. I DO try to say it with a smile.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?