Are You A Scooter Fashionista?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

If so, how so? And it extends beyond wardrobe to the scooter itself

Well, out with it you stylish devil's :P

What must you have to make you look good out there? 8)
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hey wait. pretty sure this thread exist already? idk?

well if so, here is another one :D
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I dunno if I look GOOD per se, but....

I did get a different wardrobe to suit my scoot commute lifestyle. Even picked up a messenger bag that matches my jacket!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

No. I'm a functionista.

Of course, as far as fashion sense goes, I dress like an Omaha anvil salesman.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I look like a dayglo lemon atop a cherry.

You can't ask us if you aren't willing to share yourself, JHScoot, so let's see it!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

My shades were autographed by Ian Hunter... To go with my leather jacket. Rockinista!
96 Decibel Freaks
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

As much as my size and level of disposable income permit me to be.

Come to think of it, it's probably the disposable income piece that's the issue. I imagine with enough money one can get just about anything made custom...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I bought a Corrazo jacket on clearance. Does that count?

Blue with a red stripe, red helmet, black gloves, blue-black scoot. Maybe there's something there, but I swear I've never tried to look good at scootering.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I have the Corrazzo "Tempeste" riding jacket and always wear boots(monkey+combat) even before I took up riding....
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have frustrated my Wife by wearing a T-shirt and jeans for the past 15 years.... Now I am buying nice clothes, boots, and gear to wear on the scooter. She says that if she only knew, that's what it would take, She would have pushed me to buy a scooter years ago...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

^^^ That made me laugh sooo hard!
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i had a word document where i had made a collage of the zombie blood buddy, all the accessories i intended to get for it, and the gear i wanted to buy. just to make sure it was all color coordinated and looked well together. and this was all before i even bought the scooter.

i can be a little...ocd. :oops:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

At some point, I mostly divorced fashion from scootering. It wasn't practical or even comfortable. Sometimes not safe. I'll make occasional compromises for special occasions.

I guess I may not look it but I'd be dressed to the nines at all times if not for budget (because I'm also a cheap bastard) and scootering. I'd wear a suit and tie every day but wold look pretty uptight and out of place in my mostly casual work environment. (I do wear ties sometimes, because I vowed not to buy any more unless I started wearing them more often.) I have, in the past, referred to Barney's as one of my "happy places," have (neglected) Pinterest boards devoted to fashion and style, and will go to Fred Segal just to kill time. I buy my wife clothes, bags and jewelry and am a more, uh, diligent shopper than she is.

As far as it extending to the scooter, well, like I said, not so much. I think I favor what many would call a stereotypical modern scooterist look: Corazzo, jeans, boots.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

ericalm wrote:I have, in the past, referred to Barney's as one of my "happy places," have (neglected) Pinterest boards devoted to fashion and style, and will go to Fred Segal just to kill time.
haha, i'm the men's selling manager for the barneys here in austin. woot woot! :D
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I started out with color coordinated gear: jacket (Fieldsheer) and Helmet matched. Then Helmet problems started. Got another helmet that still matched the jacket but not ad well as the first and again started having pressure points problem. Now the original jacket is getting a bit old so I snagged Alpinestars Camo colored jacket. It matches my Italia perfectly. All I will need is to find green cargo pants or jeans Unfortunately I would have to travel to Italy to get color matching Vemar which is about the only helmet that I can wear.

http://www.vemarhelmets.com/inglese/collezione.html Right now my helmet is pink :oops: :cry:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Gee I don't know, is denim a fashion statement? 8) R
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

could be still shifting, could be

i mean, does it look like this, your denim?

Riding is riding
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

My husband is already making fun of the gear I've picked up.

Being "one of the guys" all the time I wanted something feminine but not girly so I've been picky. I also need gear that can transition from the scooter to my work desk without me having to change but still be safe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

madtolive wrote:
ericalm wrote:I have, in the past, referred to Barney's as one of my "happy places," have (neglected) Pinterest boards devoted to fashion and style, and will go to Fred Segal just to kill time.
haha, i'm the men's selling manager for the barneys here in austin. woot woot! :D
…AND MY NEW BEST FRIEND. :)

I remember when they first opened in Northpark in Dallas. It was a big deal. (I think that store's closed now? Sigh.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

DariaSen wrote:My husband is already making fun of the gear I've picked up.

Being "one of the guys" all the time I wanted something feminine but not girly so I've been picky. I also need gear that can transition from the scooter to my work desk without me having to change but still be safe.
the work part concerns me a bit. i will most likely be changing jobs and the sort of work i do in the next couple years and blue collar casual is not going to cut it

i wonder if it might be even more difficult for the female rider depending on hair, make up, heels, etc. i am thinking keeping my hair short will help. i saw a guy the other day hop off a cycle and throw off his jacket and pants like Superman to reveal a suit underneath, too.

i am hoping to be able to take shoes in a backpack and make due with a jacket worn over my office shirt / work coat, but i need to keep neat. so maybe some employers tolerate employees coming in a little early and making use of a restroom or empty office or something? if i have my own office, great! if not, idk?
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I rode to work a lot last year. Hair was the biggest problem. I had to re-style it after getting in. Clothes were eassier but when it was hot outside I wore jeans and teeshirt under my jacket but changed to dress pants a d nice top once I got to work.
I am not a scooter snob.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

JHScoot wrote:
i wonder if it might be even more difficult for the female rider depending on hair, make up, heels, etc. i am thinking keeping my hair short will help. i saw a guy the other day hop off a cycle and throw off his jacket and pants like Superman to reveal a suit underneath, too.

i am hoping to be able to take shoes in a backpack and make due with a jacket worn over my office shirt / work coat, but i need to keep neat. so maybe some employers tolerate employees coming in a little early and making use of a restroom or empty office or something? if i have my own office, great! if not, idk?
i rode to work every day when i was working at city hall. it was funny to see my colleagues in the elevator coming up from the garage while i was all geared out like a power ranger, and then seeing them later in the day after i had changed in the bathroom.

they always commented on the transformation, and inevitably someone would ask what kind of motorcycle i rode. when i told them i actually had a (bad ass undead zombieblood) scooter, they always gave me the "why on earth are you wearing so much gear to ride that itty bitty thing." :roll:

i recently shaved my head (because, you know, YOLO or whatever) so i don't think fixing my hair once i get to work will be a problem for a while. :P
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I'm able to leave my work shoes in my cube, so I just change shoes at the end of the day, strap on my leg armor and don my jacket/helmet/gloves. I've always worn my hair in a severe ponytail, so during riding season, the ponytail merely gets braided.

Makeup goes on in my cube after I get to work. Takes about four minutes.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As the Deadhead scooter riding geologist surrounded by engineers I am Abbey Sciuto's twin brother.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rob

Post by Rob »

Is plumber's crack a Fashionista category?

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rob wrote:Is plumber's crack a Fashionista category?

Rob
It was, for far too long, due to ridiculously low-rise jeans. There's still too much of this going on.

My "favorite" riding apparel trend spotted recently: Guys on cruisers wearing Uggs. On the one hand, I have to give them props for bucking at least part of the Harley stereotype. On the other hand, UGH (not Ugg). SRSLY?!?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hey tough guy, nice slippers :rofl:

Riding is riding
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

NOPE~

jeans, whatever t-shirt I've wearing that day, gloves, helmet, jacket and boots.
RoaringTodd

We match

Post by RoaringTodd »

If you call matching outfits being "Scooter Fashionista"...
Attachments
todd N abby.jpg
todd N abby.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

T-shirt + sig line = winning!

Gotta listen to Reliant K's "I'm Lion-O" now. :D

Elite 80s are forever cool. Lego scooter in real life!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
pickboy_101

Post by pickboy_101 »

I'm going to have to post a picture sometime, red nikes, red pants, red shirt, red coat, and red buddy 125....
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

I'm into clothes and I care about feeling attractive. And that interest collides with the scooter a lot. I scoured the internet for the cutest jackets/boots I could find before buying anything, and I think/hope it's paid off - I get compliments on them even when I'm just walking around the store, by people who have no idea I rode there. I try to stay as protected as I can while looking as little like a Power Ranger as I can.

I had to change my daily style quite a bit, because first of all I would live in skirts and dresses if I could, but that's not going to fly on the scoot! I wear jeans and boots now, and while I leave cute little ballet flats in my desk, I got tired of changing my shoes every morning so I started just leaving my boots on. That looked weird with the more feminine tops I have, so I started building a "nice" t-shirt collection (thank goodness I have a casual office). Not what I'd wear if I didn't have a scoot, but it's worth it!

I have some skinny kevlar jeans on backorder that should come this month. In the past I wore jeans that I like, but would probably not protect my ass if it came down to it. So that had to be fixed.
Last edited by KeLynn on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KeLynn wrote:I'm into clothes and I care about feeling attractive. And that interest collides with the scooter a lot. I scoured the internet for the cutest jackets/boots I could find before buying anything, and I think/hope it's paid off - I get compliments on them even when I'm just walking around the store, by people who have no idea I rode there.
Care to share what jacket you bought? :)
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

Sure! My favorite is the GoGoGear Trench http://www.scooter-girls.com/products.html#trench - this is the one I get the most compliments on!

I also have an AlpineStars Stella jacket, which is more obviously a riding jacket but less obnoxious than most riding jackets IMO :lol: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4184

...and a winter jacket that looks like a regular winter coat, except it actually has waist definition which none of my real winter coats have, so I like it even better. I forget the brand and it's packed away right now and I don't want to get off my butt to find it to look...
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KeLynn wrote:Sure! My favorite is the GoGoGear Trench http://www.scooter-girls.com/products.html#trench - this is the one I get the most compliments on!

I also have an AlpineStars Stella jacket, which is more obviously a riding jacket but less obnoxious than most riding jackets IMO :lol: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4184

...and a winter jacket that looks like a regular winter coat, except it actually has waist definition which none of my real winter coats have, so I like it even better. I forget the brand and it's packed away right now and I don't want to get off my butt to find it to look...
I have the same Stella in Camo color, Fidldsheer and leather Scorpion Electra..
I am not a scooter snob.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

KeLynn wrote:Sure! My favorite is the GoGoGear Trench http://www.scooter-girls.com/products.html#trench - this is the one I get the most compliments on!

that red jacket is awesome!

i must admit to being a semi scooter fashionista. i have worn some different jackets lately but still prefer my Dickies unlined Eisenhower jackets. so w/e shirt i might be wearing is usually covered up while riding. i only have one riding jacket i wear when i wear one. it looks good but is far from high fashion

for me its about shoes. not riding shoes / boots....just shoes, period. sneakers, boots, w/e. i have around 45 pair but keep a good 30 in rotation. i def need more, riding is hard on shoes. these are my latest but i need two more pair in different colors :)

Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have a lot of shoes, sneakers and boots, too. (I'm a Puma guy.) But riding, I wear at least leather with ankle coverage most of the time. I wear boots a lot of the time. Plain ol' sneakers, hardly ever!

This is why:

That's the toe of a very heavy-duty boot I was wearing when I went down at about 35mph a couple years ago.

If you haven't seen them, the pics of the woman (Renae) from Pride of Cleveland who lost two toes in a crash when wearing Chucks are pretty gruesome. They were ground right off.

At the same time, there are some plenty good looking boots out there. And if you like Chuck/sneaker style, there are the Converse PGS boots with ankle protection and composite or steel toes.

I get that we all make our own choices and sometimes we choose to be less safe, though. I'm sure as heck not "ATGATT." It was so nice a couple days ago, I rode without a riding jacket and it felt pretty damn good.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ yeah i recall that pic of your boot and the story of the woman in her Chuck's. in fact most days i consider what i am wearing and the amount of protection it provides, or does not. being prepared for the worst in the event it might happen. argh...its a whole gear vs fashion debate in my head

ok i saw a MC rider walk into a coffee shop i was at the other day. he was fashionably dressed in riding gear that looked good, a bit stylish. lot's of leather. and....i just didn't like it. not that i am very stylish, myself. but i do like choices outside of riding gear :(

back to shoes. i like them. and on a scooter feet are put up on a little platform, as if on display. not like a MC where one foot is on either side of the bike, down on some pegs. on a scoot both shoes are up on a moving catwalk of sorts, saying "look at these!"

i just can't resist, but i do try to be mindful. sometimes :P
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

JHScoot wrote:^ yeah i recall that pic of your boot and the story of the woman in her Chuck's. in fact most days i consider what i am wearing and the amount of protection it provides, or does not. being prepared for the worst in the event it might happen. argh...its a whole gear vs fashion debate in my head

ok i saw a MC rider walk into a coffee shop i was at the other day. he was fashionably dressed in riding gear that looked good, a bit stylish. lot's of leather. and....i just didn't like it. not that i am very stylish, myself. but i do like choices outside of riding gear :(

back to shoes. i like them. and on a scooter feet are put up on a little platform, as if on display. not like a MC where one foot is on either side of the bike, down on some pegs. on a scoot both shoes are up on a moving catwalk of sorts, saying "look at these!"

That's why i'm such a fan of the TCX and Stylmartin boots-that-look-like-Chucks.

I LOVE my TCX X-Streets. They're black leather Chucks, which is utterly perfect for a goth chick who's leaning maybe a little hipsterish latyely.

(They do come in other colors, including a blue much like the shoes you pictured above)
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I like the look of those TCX X Streets. I have worn Chucks since I was a kid, so I may have to get me a pair of these.
theflash784

Post by theflash784 »

After seeing Eric's shoe picture and reading what happened to the woman who lost her toes, I picked up a pair of the Converse chuck style shoes with the composite toes. They are comfortable to wear on and off the scooter, not too heavy or clunky and look like a normal shoe. I think I picked them up for under $50 at the Sportsman Guide catalogue.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote: Image

Palladium Boots?
They still exist??!
I had no idea!
I 'acquired' a pair many years ago while serving overseas, didn't think I'd ever see something like them again..........
(Internet searches proves ones like mine don't however exist anymore)
Attachments
Not quite the same, yet similar.
Not quite the same, yet similar.
palladium boots.....jpg (3.99 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heh - I bought a pair of Bates USMC Rat boots from lapolicegear - $39.99 closeout pricing. Apparently Bates had been making them for the Corps, but then had a design change, forcing this model into clearance. The Globe-and-Anchor near the heel is sorta melted/branded away. :D Nice boots, though.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

KABarash wrote:
JHScoot wrote:
Palladium Boots?
They still exist??!
I had no idea!
I 'acquired' a pair many years ago while serving overseas, didn't think I'd ever see something like them again..........
apparently so. i hadn't heard of them but when they arrived the story of the company and its history was on the box along with a big airplane. pretty sure it was something about WWII and what not

i like the shoes / boots because they are lightweight and very comfy. also thge soles are super sticky. at least on dry pavement. so those qualities make 'em feel confident when hitting the ground fast

they come in leather, too. pretty sure
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ravenlore wrote:
JHScoot wrote:^ yeah i recall that pic of your boot and the story of the woman in her Chuck's. in fact most days i consider what i am wearing and the amount of protection it provides, or does not. being prepared for the worst in the event it might happen. argh...its a whole gear vs fashion debate in my head

That's why i'm such a fan of the TCX and Stylmartin boots-that-look-like-Chucks.

I LOVE my TCX X-Streets. They're black leather Chucks, which is utterly perfect for a goth chick who's leaning maybe a little hipsterish latyely.

(They do come in other colors, including a blue much like the shoes you pictured above)
thanx for the tip. gonna check 'em out
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote:
KABarash wrote:
JHScoot wrote:
Palladium Boots?
They still exist??!
I had no idea!
apparently so. i hadn't heard of them but when they arrived the story of the company and its history was on the box along with a big airplane. pretty sure it was something about WWII and what not

i like the shoes / boots because they are lightweight and very comfy. also thge soles are super sticky. at least on dry pavement. so those qualities make 'em feel confident when hitting the ground fast

they come in leather, too. pretty sure
Again, probably nothing like the ones I had years ago, at least they are esthetically without the double buckle cuff, mine lasted rather well during a 4 month SF deployment in the jungles of North Africa.......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I wear these when riding - vintage style and protection. And no, I'm not a skinhead. Image
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

its funny how some folks associate that footwear with skinheads, etc. i always think of punk rock but not skinheads, exactly

different kinds of skinheads the world 'round, too. i don't think all are nazi or racist or w/e. look at these scooter skins. they look pretty normal. they like England and soccer, i suppose. they have a bit of style

EDIT: ok they have no style and those jeans are awful. but hey, they're skinheads! says so right there on the t-shirt :lol:
Riding is riding
Witch

Post by Witch »

When I ordered my current scoot, I wanted a Corazzo 5.0 to go with it. The dealer didn't have the color I wanted, but they did have the right size--in pink. So I tried it on, sat on some bikes, and walked around to get a good feel for it. Several other customers randomly gave me compliments on how good it looked on me. Who was I to argue with that kind of logic?? I simply bought the pink one.

Then I ended up with a pink helmet... because it had white stripes, and matched the jacket really well. And another pink jacket for warmer weather. And another pink helmet to replace the first one when the liner started to wear down.

Pink is not my favorite color, though I do like it. And it has proven to be so visible and memorable that I've had countless people tell me they saw me out on the road at some time or another on my "pink scooter." Except that I don't have a pink scooter. I have an ivory one. Hey, they see me, they remember me, and so far they have not squashed me. So I'm cool with it.

Pink has apparently become so associated as "my" color, that now when I show up to some of the local bike meets, I get people complaining they're disappointed if I happen to wear my FF white helmet. :roll:

Sooo.... apparently, I need to put some pink decals on it.