NBR: Wife passed her riding course

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

NBR: Wife passed her riding course

Post by skully93 »

My Wife, who not 1 year ago proudly proclaimed "I will not ride ON your scooter, and certainly never my own..." passed her MSF course this weekend.

Another pal's wife was also in the class along her friend. They had the same instructors I did, and when I showed up to say hi at the end everyone was all smiles.

They did say that one guy was thrown out for refusing to wear over the ankle boots and proper gloves. They gave him a chance to have some brought but he claimed 'he didnt' need any...". Another guy was a constant nuisance, revving all the time and didn't follow directions. He failed, and instead of rescheduling he just up and left. Both had purchased very large, expensive, big CC bikes before even taking the class.

some people shouldn't ride!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Some people are just stuck on stupid. why pay that much and not buy the correct gear? The instuctors are just trying to ensure their safety. It's a bit like riding without a helmet. neither is going to be good should you go down without the proper gear. I've seen it with my own eyes....
Last edited by Drum Pro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

now shes a bad mother scooter?
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Sounds like congratulations are in order for Mrs. Skully! :clap:
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

skully93

Post by skully93 »

Drum Pro wrote:Some people are just stuck on stupid. why pay that much and not buy the correct gear? The instuctors are just trying to ensure their safety. It's a bit like riding without a helmet. neither is going to be good should you go down without the proper gear. I've seen it with my own eyes....
That and it says "bring gloves and over the ankle shoes for riding. We would prefer you also have an armored jacket, though anything long sleeve is required" right on the sheet you sign off on when you register for the class.

to Vinyl,

yep! she's ready to scoot! unfortunately weather may prevent her from doing so until next week, but that should be OK as her scooter will not be purchased for a week or two. She's welcome to ride my Buddy around a bit though.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mine passed the course on a scoot a few years back. She intends to go back this spring and try it on a MC. She also says she has no intention of riding a MC, but just wants to challenge herself some.

When I took a refresher back in 2008, we had a woman who came decked out in Harley gear. She said her husband rode a bike and she was tired of riding "bitch". That statement got some laughs, but I would guess she's still riding that way today. She was the only person in the class not to pass. She never could get the hand of shifting gears and spent most of her time walking the bike around. The instructors failed her before she took the written test. A nice enough person, but like you said, some folks just aren't made to ride.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Rob wrote:Mine passed the course on a scoot a few years back. She intends to go back this spring and try it on a MC. She also says she has no intention of riding a MC, but just wants to challenge herself some.
Rob
it was a challenge for her to pony up and do it, but yeah. It sucks when people limit themselves so much out of fear of simple things.

We're getting a 5 speed car in a couple weeks so we can sell the truck. I thought that would be a huge fight (she sees clutches of any kind as 'pointless' and 'outdated'). Fortunately she came to it on her own.

She did very well, and I'm proud :P.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Congrats to your missus!

Boo on getting rid of your truck! Everyone should have a truck! Mainly so people don't single out the guy who has a truck when they need to move something. Some things are always heavy and at least two stories up...
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Rob

Post by Rob »

skully93 wrote:it was a challenge for her to pony up and do it, but yeah. It sucks when people limit themselves so much out of fear of simple things.

We're getting a 5 speed car in a couple weeks so we can sell the truck. I thought that would be a huge fight (she sees clutches of any kind as 'pointless' and 'outdated'). Fortunately she came to it on her own.

She did very well, and I'm proud :P.
And you should be proud of her (I was of mine as well and impressed because it was somewhat out of character for her). Pass along my congrats to your better half.

Now for getting rid of the truck .... a great excuse to get a trailer. I bought one of the ATVs. but use it to haul the scoot and/or MC's all of the time, along with a variety of other things. I paid a little more for a Triton aluminum, but I don't think I'll ever be without one again.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright