Potential Buyer, Looking for Info on the Blur 220i!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackbeard

Potential Buyer, Looking for Info on the Blur 220i!

Post by Blackbeard »

Ahoy Shipmates!

I currently ride a Yammy Zuma 125. Great Scooter! No complaints! I'm keeping it for Around-Town Runs, but I've been looking at picking up a 220i for further Scoots with Local Groups.

In the last several years, I've had a 50, 125 (Current), 150, 200, 250 & 400cc Scooters. Trying to get back in the middle of the pack, which seems best suited for me.

I've done quite a bit of Research, but can't seem to find a few Key Specs Info on the 220i. I'm looking for:

Length: ?
Weight Capacity: ?

Also, I'm 6'1" with a 30" Inseam, and I'm wondering if the Seat Height may be a bit too much. My Zuma Seat is 30.5" (Corbin Aftermarket Seat...).

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide! It's greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

BB
nebulous123

Post by nebulous123 »

There is lots of information out there on these scooters. The Genuine site is a little lack luster as far as total details go but everything is out there. Here is a review with the requested specs:

http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur2010.htm

TheycallmeD

Post by TheycallmeD »

personally, I would put a 155 kit and up gear that Zuma. you could get 75 mph out of it.

way more aftermarket parts for the Zuma.

Don't get me wrong the blur is a great scoot. I love the handling n brakes. I think it needs MORE POWER!!!

"D"
2007 Burgman 400
2012 Blur ss220i
73 CT 70 with a 107cc, traded for a 2008 Ninja 250R
77 CT 70/dax with a 117cc
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

TheycallmeD wrote:personally, I would put a 155 kit and up gear that Zuma. you could get 75 mph out of it.

Don't get me wrong the blur is a great scoot. I love the handling n brakes. I think it needs MORE POWER!!!

"D"
Agreed- the one issue I have is: why no liquid cooling or 4 valve head? The motor would be good for over 20hp if it had these improvements. That would make this scooter so much better.

The above posted specs don't give him either of the specs he asked for. I just measured mine at 72" long. I know the weight capacity 330lbs as it has been asked before.

A forum member wants to sell his modified seat which is 1" lower so that may be of interest to you if the stock seat is too high.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Wheelbase has been reported as 53" and weight capacity at 316 lbs.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

nebulous123 wrote:There is lots of information out there on these scooters. The Genuine site is a little lack luster as far as total details go but everything is out there. Here is a review with the requested specs:

http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur2010.htm
Nebulous123!

Thanks for the Link & Chart! I read David's Review, and from the time he did that, sounds like Genuine/PGO have addressed some of the problems, that Blur Owners have mentioned in several Posts/Forums I've read. I like a Company that will resolve problems as they come up!
TheycallmeD wrote:personally, I would put a 155 kit and up gear that Zuma. you could get 75 mph out of it.

"D"
chickdr wrote:Agreed- the one issue I have is: why no liquid cooling or 4 valve head? The motor would be good for over 20hp if it had these improvements. That would make this scooter so much better.

The above posted specs don't give him either of the specs he asked for. I just measured mine at 72" long. I know the weight capacity 330lbs as it has been asked before.

A forum member wants to sell his modified seat which is 1" lower so that may be of interest to you if the stock seat is too high.
D & Chickdr!

Have/Do you two owned/own a Zuma 125? Just wondering if you have experience with the 155 Kit Mod you've both mentioned. I'm on the Zuma Forum, and have read about the BBK Upgrade, Rollers, Sliders, Variators, etc., and it's WAYYYYY over my head. Seems like there isn't just one way to Mod the Zuma, as I'd have to tweek the Rollers/Sliders to get MY Sweet-Spot on the Tranny. I'm a 250+ lb Rider, and don't want to overtax my Zuma (maybe I already am????), with parts that May/May Not work for me, or cut short my Zuma's Life Expectancy.

If you two have had Zuma 125's, what are your Pro/Con Comparison's between the 125 and Blur 220i?

I HAD..... been looking for a Honda Big Ruckus 250cc, but everytime I latch on to an Ad for one on the web, and make a Phone Call/Email, it's already Sold. So, I'm looking at a Happy Medium somewhere, and the Blur 220i sounds like an awesome Scooter.

I'll check out the Lowered Seat on here, and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the info and Stats! That does help a lot!
agrogod wrote:Wheelbase has been reported as 53" and weight capacity at 316 lbs.
Agrogod!

Thanks to you too, for the Numbers! I think the 316 lbs, may be the Blur's Dry Weight, vice Weight Capacity.

ALL!

In my first post, I mentioned that I've had a few other Scooters in the past. Here are the ones I've had, in order:

- TNG Verona 150 (First Scooter, and Inexperienced Buyer, at the time! I did MORE Research on Future Scoot Purchases...)
- Kymco People S-200 (Actually a 163cc Engine, vice the 200 I initially posted... Great Scooter, but I just had the Need-4-Speed, after owning it for a year...)
- Kymco People S-250 (Just couldn't get comfortable on that Seat, even after I had it Modded a couple of times... Solid Performer, just had to stop too often to provide Increased Blood Flow to the Gluteus Maximus...)
- Burgman 400 (I put 14K Miles on this one in two years of Touring, then had to take a Medical Break, and had to Cage it for the next two years. I sold it, thinking I wouldn't be able to ride again, but got back into Scootin' in Dec '11.)
- Ruckus 50 (Not enough ooomph, to get me up some ouf our steep Hills in this area, and had too many problems with the Carb Fouling too often... I traded it for my Zuma 125 a year later...)
- Zuma 125 (A GREAT little Scoot for around town, and easily manages our Hill Country Hills. No complaints at all, with this one!)

Having ridden my Barcolounger-Burgman the most, I'd have to say that now, getting back into Scootin', it'd be a bit too heavy for me to manage. I'll be staying in the 250cc'ish Range from now on, so I can keep Pegging-Out the Fun-Factor.

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

My other scooters have been a TGB Laser 150cc and A Vespa GT200. The Blur is a much better handling scooter than either and brakes are phenomenal. The GT200 was amazingly smooth and powerful with its 21hp motor but is rode like a Town Car(too floaty). I have never been on a Zuma 125 but have heard good things about them. the recommendation to upgrade it may be a good one rather than dropping a lot more $$$ on a Blur.
Rush

Post by Rush »

You'll have no problem with the Blur's stock seat height. I'm 5'7" (with boots) and the height is about perfect.

The Blur is what it is - it wasn't designed for modifying and there really are no aftermarket parts. I would also prefer liquid cooling but it appears that the aim with the Blur is longevity, reliability, superb handling and a fun carefree experience. Twist and go and enjoy the ride - focus on the environment you're putting yourself into and forget about the machine. I've got over 8k miles on mine and haven't had to do anything more than change the fluids and spark plug. Rear tire and brakes will probably need to be replaced at 10k miles but that is it.

I rode the Blur about 1000 miles (50% on I-75) over the course of a weekend - and no issues and felt comfortable.

More hp through liquid cooling and the rest of it would put more strain on the cvt and create more complexity overall.

IMO the only failing of the scoot is that it is a performance machine that is already optimized. Most people that desire "performance machines" want to tinker with them and make them better or different in some way. They want to play with them and invest in them. Just not possible with the Blur. It is plug and play with no adjustments. That's probably the only reason I'm selling mine. I found I really like learning about all the technical parts of bikes and combustion engines. The Blur is a wonderful package but it wasn't really intended to be tinkered with.

My ideal version of this scoot would be for Genuine to sell a stripped down base version at a lower price and then offer a million different upgrades. And push how easy it is for people to get into riding... and maintaining...and modifying these machines. But that is a business model - and a risky one given that most people in the US still seem to gravitate toward clutch levelers and chains. The pop modern legend of the scooter in the US is dumb and dumber. "Doh" <Homer slaps head>
TheycallmeD

Post by TheycallmeD »

well I have friends that I ride with. one has a stock motor Zuma 125 max speed is 58 mph. then I have 2 friends with a tricked out Zuma 155's!! them things is FAST!!! 1 has about 3k on that Zuma 155 now, it i very reliable.

"D"
2007 Burgman 400
2012 Blur ss220i
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

Thanks again for all of the Great Info, Folks!

Rush!

That's what part of the DRAW is for me, with the Blur 220i..... that I DON'T have to Mod anything! I'm looking for something that I can just hop on and ride all day, and not wish that it had more Ponies under the Hood!

D!

(Plagiarizing my own comment above.....)

That's what part of the HESITATION is for me, with the Zuma 125..... that I WOULD have to Mod something! I had, in fact, considered Modding my Z125 with the BBK 155 Upgrade. However..... the cost of the Kit is just under $1K, and then I'll need a New Variator $300, a New Clutch $300, and an Oil Cooler $276. That's just shy of $2K, and I'd still have to pay the Dealer to install it, at their Service Department Rates. At the least, I'm looking at $2,500, to give it the Ponies it should have. My Z125 is paid for, so if I decided to Trade it, I'd get about $2K for it, and use the money for the Mods, $2,500'ish..., to pay off the difference on the Sale of the Blur.

I used to turn wrenches when I was younger, but can't physically work on machinery anymore, so I'd have to pay the Dealer for the install on the Z125. Gettin' old Sux! Image

BTW, do you still have your '07 Burgy 400? If so, how many miles? Any problems? I had 14K on my '07, when I sold it in '09. Loved that machine, but had to take a Medical Hiatus for two years, and am now able to get back in the Saddle.

Here's my former Burgy:

Again Folks, Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

TheycallmeD

Post by TheycallmeD »

BB you were on BUSA! I remember the yellow bike. My AN400 K7 has 43K on it now and still goin STRONG! When it dies I will get a new one. I love the AN400.

I know what you mean about getting old. I will be 55 in a few weeks. I can't do the things I did when I was 40. build motors, full suspension rebuilds......

yes gettin OLD SUCKS!!!!

"D"

MY Stable topic24134.html
2007 Burgman 400
2012 Blur ss220i
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

TheycallmeD wrote:BB you were on BUSA! I remember the yellow bike. My AN400 K7 has 43K on it now and still goin STRONG! When it dies I will get a new one. I love the AN400.

I know what you mean about getting old. I will be 55 in a few weeks. I can't do the things I did when I was 40. build motors, full suspension rebuilds......

yes gettin OLD SUCKS!!!!

"D"

MY Stable topic24134.html

Yup! I was on BUSA for a few years. It's really hard, to forget that Yellow Burgy, once you've seen it. Fortunately, the Scooter Group Member I sold it to, is taking great care of it (He did, however, drop it once at a stop, and had to do a bit of Paint Touch-Up on the Tupperware.....), and it's still spotted running around San Antonio often.

I turned 57 in Jan, and even though my Brain is still 18, the rest of me isn't. But..... as long as I wake up every morning, there's a Scooter to be Ridden!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

Primal

Original Question

Post by Primal »

Back to the original question, you want something that you can find parts for a fix easily yourself. You should throw a engine upgrade kit on the scooter you have - or get a Ruckus and do the 150cc upgrade to it...

Get something you can find parts for...