Boston Police are so ANNOYING

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

uklemond

Boston Police are so ANNOYING

Post by uklemond »

This is the third time in as many weeks that im getting pulled over and talked to like shit because the officer shoots first then asks questions later.

Yesterday i was cut up on Route 1 by an plain cop car. I was in the left lane he was in the right. He never indicated nor looked just started pulling in. I honked my horn, to which he sounded his siren. We stopped in the middle of the road and he screams at me. Are you a moron? I asked him what it was he thought i was doing wrong and he claimed Im not allowed in the left lane on that small piece of shit. I tried to explain to him im on a fully licensed 170cc Motorbike, with M license and full plate. He was more annoyed i think at his own mistakes and tried to take it out on me. I then told him that he should have checked his mirrors, and that although he is a law enforcement officer, he is still suppose to obey the law of the roads, and that had it been an ordinary driver they could have been ticketed for dangerous driving. He just shot off leaving me standing.

My point is that as soon as they see my bike they assume it is a 50cc scoot that has no right to be on the road due to its limitations (that dont exist), and they take the attitude that im in the wrong and act all high and mighty about it. As soon as i point out that they are wrong, they usually scoff something about be careful and then let me on my way. So are there any other scoots out there that experience the same issues or is it just poor old me?
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

I live in Magnolia, MA. (Gloucester area) I cannot comment on the Boston Police (overpaid idiots) if you ask me! I have no problems up here in our seacoast community.....but the same thing happened too me in Florida (of all places) I purchased a brand new Kymco Super 8 150cc scooter to keep @ my parents home that I visit 4-5 times a year. Anyway...I was minding my own business & a was pulled over by the police. I had a temporary plate & he said....I need to check your papers & my license...no problem. Scooter check out, then he gave me trouble about my license! He said....Why don't you have a Florida license? My reply...I don't live here, I visit my parents. I said...look it says "M" for motorcycle on my MA. license!! He kept me there for another 15 minutes & handed my license back & said nothing! Really? Nothing to say? It simply amazes me sometimes!

I have no problem with the police, but they really need to spend their time better in some scenarios!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ironically there was a recent thread on MV about the good of police :P.

Sorry you had a rough time. Keep in mind he prolly is overworked, underpaid, etc. If not, hopefully he's just 1 jerk in a multitude of good officers.

All you can do on any given day is your best, and for some people, it's not going to be good enough.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Police just hate to get things wrong. At least in my experience with them. They either use intimidation of the badge or are consumed by the power of it. That's not to say to get arguementive with them, just state your case calmly.... They are human after all!
Last edited by Drum Pro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortoise

Re: Boston Police are so ANNOYING

Post by tortoise »

uklemond wrote:Boston Police are so ANNOYING
Cut them some slack . . your scoot DOES look like a 50cc!
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Just try to shake it off; yeah you lost 10 minutes of your day and met a cop who turned out to be a jerk. At least you didn't get ticketed or arrested. Or struck by his cage.

I think you got the best of all possible results given the above scenarios.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Lokky

Post by Lokky »

tortoise wrote:
The 170 has a racing stripe! That automatically makes it crotch-rocket fast!
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

Tortoise: Are you kidding me? My Kymco Super 8 150cc is larger then the Buddy 125/170i for crying out loud by a decent amout! I'm 6'1" @ 235 lbs. (keep the fat jokes coming!) All kidding aside....He shouldn't have pulled me over & on top of that....He kept me there for almost 25 minutes! He couldn't have said "Sorry?"

I have NO issue with police officers..trust me. If someone broke into my home when I was asleep....I'm caling 911! Up here in MA. I think they get paid "way too much" if you ask me....some are topping-off @ over 150K a year! Yes...It costs more to live here...but most are overpaid. Not the case down South as my brother-in-law (Virginia) gets paid very low & he has been on the force for 15 years.
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

tortoise wrote:
You obviously did not read the entire post before you got shirty. He without due care and attention pulled into my lane without indication or looking when i was along side. Then started to treat me as though i was at fault. I did cut him slack and explained that he was at fault and that i had committed no offense.

So what if I look like a 50cc. They should not have an attitude straight away, they should investigate and act according to the results of said investigation. That is what they are paid to do. I have been stopped on a few occasions, but this is the only one that started the conversation with calling me a moron. It was only his attitude towards me that made me tell him about his offense, which in hindsight was probably not my best move, regardless of how correct my statement was.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Years ago when I had my GTS 250, I had a cop pull me over on my way to a show. When he approached the bike and gave the engineered intimidation "license/registration/any weapons on you?" speech with sunglasses on and hand on gun the entire time, he finally explained why he pulled me over:

"Son, (and that's a great way to instantly get someone defensive), Mopeds are *NOT* allowed on the freeway".

I told him that the bike was not a moped. He then asked if I thought if he "was blind" and proceeded to process a ticket for me. I told him I refused to sign for it and that I demanded that a supervisor would be called, or I was going to ride off. Again, hand went on his gun and he said that would be "resisting arrest". I asked if I was now all the sudden under arrest because he couldn't tell the difference between a moped and a motorcycle.

Well, by this time a Motorcycle highway patrol cop showed up, probably for "backup" against the tough-as-nails vespa rider in his Morrisey T-shirt and microphone bag. They went and conferenced a bit, then the cycle cop came up. He asked the make and model of the bike, and I told him. He then asked me how fast I *really* was going. I saw him looking at the first cop's radar gun on his dash, and figured I would fess up to going a bit over 65... by about 7mph ish. He chuckled, checked my insurance and told me to keep it under 65 or I would have to pay an extra $5/month in insurance for a speeding ticket on my record. The first cop was noticeably pissed.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

neotrotsky wrote:Years ago when I had my GTS 250, I had a cop pull me over on my way to a show. When he approached the bike and gave the engineered intimidation "license/registration/any weapons on you?" speech with sunglasses on and hand on gun the entire time, he finally explained why he pulled me over:

"Son, (and that's a great way to instantly get someone defensive), Mopeds are *NOT* allowed on the freeway".

I told him that the bike was not a moped. He then asked if I thought if he "was blind" and proceeded to process a ticket for me. I told him I refused to sign for it and that I demanded that a supervisor would be called, or I was going to ride off. Again, hand went on his gun and he said that would be "resisting arrest". I asked if I was now all the sudden under arrest because he couldn't tell the difference between a moped and a motorcycle.

Well, by this time a Motorcycle highway patrol cop showed up, probably for "backup" against the tough-as-nails vespa rider in his Morrisey T-shirt and microphone bag. They went and conferenced a bit, then the cycle cop came up. He asked the make and model of the bike, and I told him. He then asked me how fast I *really* was going. I saw him looking at the first cop's radar gun on his dash, and figured I would fess up to going a bit over 65... by about 7mph ish. He chuckled, checked my insurance and told me to keep it under 65 or I would have to pay an extra $5/month in insurance for a speeding ticket on my record. The first cop was noticeably pissed.
Lmao reminds me of when Luna and I got pulled over on the interstate for going too slow... this was pre-kit on my Stella so I was the one holding us back a bit but we were still doing over 55 and by law that meant we could be on the interstate.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

You can be ticketed for "impeding the flow of traffic" even when the posted limit is lower than the average speed of traffic. The difference was that I PASSED the cop that pulled me over. Wasn't paying attention...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
fossel

Post by fossel »

well I had a cop catch me doing 46 in a 35mph and and he just said slow it down.I was shocked he didnt give me a ticket,and just sped away on his motorcycle. He never pulled me over .He just rode up beside me.Ive been speedind alot lately so I guess he did me a favor.
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Up here in MA. I think they get paid "way too much" if you ask me....some are topping-off @ over 150K a year!
Any documentation to back that up?
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Go file a complaint with the police department. Next time let him swipe you and rake them over the coals!
Milt

Post by Milt »

I am reminded of the early 19th century British MP who spoke up during the Parliamentary debate over Peel's 'police' concept. He called the proposed institution a threat to the Liberties of Englishmen.

Unfortunately, he was in the minority - he was also correct. The arrogance (on the part of the cop) described in the original post is regrettably characteristic of the authoritarian types attracted to such positions.

No human being, of right, can have authority over another (competent) human being. Our rights are not collective nor additive in nature. We cannot delegate to some 'authority' that which we cannot, of right, do as individuals.

As an aside: "If someone broke into my home when I was asleep....I'm calling 911! Up here in MA" - good luck with that - when seconds count, the police are only minutes away... Seriously, self-defense is your responsibility.

Those who justify the existence of police for 'protection' would do well to realize that the police are not legally bound to do anything at all to protect any particular citizen. Even if the police were so obligated, that would not suffice to overcome the moral illegitimacy of such an assumption of 'authority'.
Freedom is a package deal
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

In the risk of getting very political or waving the Gadsden flag around... let's step back and realize that this isn't a cop bashing thread. Heck, even in my experience you had the "smart cop" and "stupid cop". Knowing some police officers personally and having friends who had family members as cops, it is NOT an easy job (and I have yet to hear of a beat cop that makes over $150k a year... most struggle in this area to get above $45k at best and that's after YEARS of service and promotions with a degree thrown in). It is a thankless job, and one I honestly would not want. Even in Phoenix, where the Maricopa County Sherrif's Department is seen as all around crooked, the Phoenix Metro police are full of both horrible and excellent examples of police, and are just trying to make it through the day. Any department of employees of such a size and with such a public presence are going to be under major scrutiny and have their share of bad apples.

The point of the thread (I think) is pointing out how many police don't even know the basic rules on how smaller bikes in the US are classified and how that is a general reflection of how many in the US view scooters in general. It's more a commentary of the pervasive stigma of scooters and how they influence people, even those who are supposed to know the difference.

Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I know I can look up mine .. https://data.cityofchicago.org/Administ ... /xzkq-xp2w

At least I know what they get paid. Some places they are better and some are worse. [/list]
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What neotrotsky said! :clap:
Milt

Post by Milt »

"The point of the thread (I think) is pointing out how many police don't even know the basic rules on how smaller bikes in the US are classified..."

A specific example of a general problem, caused, at root, by a flawed institution that is antithetical to Liberty. By the way, according to our country's founding documents, securing Liberty is the primary (one could argue the SOLE) reason that our government exists at all. Just something to consider as government interference with our lives explodes along with the militarization of the police.

I have some family members and, believe it or not, friends in 'police work' and find that the 'us versus them' mentality is not a tin-foil hat rumor. Orwell nailed it, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

One does not cure cancer with bandaids...
Freedom is a package deal
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Milt, that is a good point. Here in my NGA rural/urban county, the general attitude of the sheriffs and local police is that they have more important
things to attend to than to stop scoot riders or motorcycle riders. As long as
you are not speeding or riding stupid they are not interested in stopping you.
All in all, a pretty good group.
Now I am aware that this is not going to be the case every where and there
are some in law enforcement who certainly do not belong there. And it is true here that very few know the difference in a 50cc and a 150cc scoot.
but at least most of them dont think of us as a problem.
And lastly, we have indeed wandered far away from our founding fathers
Constitution. Look at where that has gotten us. Your comment addressed
to this subject is well taken. No argument from me on that one. :clap:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Are you sure there aren't Boston cops spying on you on the local message boards?

http://gawker.com/5992924/lamestain-bos ... ouse-shows
Last edited by illnoise on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BostonModSpeedFreak

Post by BostonModSpeedFreak »

OI SCOOTER RIDERS! Who wants to drink an 8-ball of Sam Adams and do some blue pills and grow sideburns and ride like crazy? Boston cops are pigs, Am i write?

Private email me with lots of details on the most illegal stuff you like to do and let me know where the sex and drugs are happening this weekend! I have a 750cc mod scooter and I want to ride!

-Junkyard Dawg
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

BostonModSpeedFreak wrote:OI SCOOTER RIDERS! Who wants to drink an 8-ball of Sam Adams and do some blue pills and grow sideburns and ride like crazy? Boston cops are pigs, Am i write?

Private email me with lots of details on the most illegal stuff you like to do and let me know where the sex and drugs are happening this weekend! I have a 750cc mod scooter and I want to ride!

-Junkyard Dawg
Dad?
honi soit qui mal y pense
Rob

Post by Rob »

redhandmoto wrote:
BostonModSpeedFreak wrote:OI SCOOTER RIDERS! Who wants to drink an 8-ball of Sam Adams and do some blue pills and grow sideburns and ride like crazy? Boston cops are pigs, Am i write?

-Junkyard Dawg
Dad?
Hahaha! :rofl:

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

neotrotsky wrote: The point of the thread (I think) is pointing out how many police don't even know the basic rules on how smaller bikes in the US are classified and how that is a general reflection of how many in the US view scooters in general. It's more a commentary of the pervasive stigma of scooters and how they influence people, even those who are supposed to know the difference.
That is exactly the point of my post. Thank You