Newbies to scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cherylz

Newbies to scooters

Post by cherylz »

Hello Everyone, My husband I just purchased 2 Buddy 170i's. and our 1/2 helmets . That is it . We are waiting to take our classes. We live in Indiana and will be doing a lot back roads. Do we need goggles ? Jackets ? Gloves ? All your help is much appreciated TY
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I am a big fan of the Aerostich catalog. In it you will find all kinds of neat stuff that will make your ride more fun. You don't need full race leathers, but I see too many people in flip-flops and shorts when riding scooters. Buying new duds is cheaper and more fun than growing new skin. I don't believe in telling others how much protection they need. It is an individual choice. I found a pair of $10 imitation Wayfarers that worked better than goggles. Mechanic gloves go a long way toward protecting your hands. Always remember, you are INVISIBLE to car drivers. Ride accordingly.

If you aren't having fun you are doing it wrong.
Stilts

Re: Newbies to scooters

Post by Stilts »

cherylz wrote:Hello Everyone, My husband I just purchased 2 Buddy 170i's. and our 1/2 helmets . That is it . We are waiting to take our classes. We live in Indiana and will be doing a lot back roads. Do we need goggles ? Jackets ? Gloves ? All your help is much appreciated TY
Depending on your state's law, you may need goggles if the 1/2 helmets don't have some sort of visor. It's state law in MD that a rider must have some sort of eye protection on when riding.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Welcome to the house of fun..... I don't wanna tell anyone about how much protection to have but I strongly suggest to wear some with No exceptions. Skin abrations suck not to mention a broken bone or two. Ride safe and have fun and you'll learn a lot in the MSF class.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

armored jackets, Full face helmets armored gloves! boots Please do not ride in flip flips and shorts... just think how bad it would suck to fall running.. "3-5 MPH now think how bad it will hurt to be going 30 or 60 mph.

The really nice thing about the buddys is that under the seat a full face helmet does fit.. at least my M size full face helmet does.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Short answer: go with as much gear as you can tolerate. The more the better.

Long answer: asking if more gear is better is kind of a no brainer of a common sense question. There are plenty of good brands from super affordable to helmets costing $1500 each. These bikes are not toys. They will accelerate faster than your crapbox Kia Sephia and, while super easy to ride, can get out of hand when you don't pay attention.

Training is also a must. You need the same skills to ride a Harley as you do a scooter. And, its development is ongoing. A basic MSC program will not only give you a base to train from, but will reduce insurance rates.

That being said, I ride with what is comfortable and what works without looking like some power ranger afraid of the world. I have an Aria, Scorpion and Bilt helmet (I would stay away from Bilt.). Jackets from Joe Rocket and River Road. Kevlar/nylon is choice for everyday riding giving good protection without looking silly in leather while dying from suffocation. Steel capped doc martiens for boots and a good dose of common sense
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Jenn L

Post by Jenn L »

Hi fellow newbie! I just got my Buddy 125 and am waiting to take my class as well (3 weeks was the soonest I could get scheduled). Aside from helmet, I am planning on gloves, jacket and boots. I figure later on if I want to take more risk, then I can (I don't see myself doing it), but for now I'll take all the protection I can get.
Regarding the goggles...I would want something protecting my eyes if the 1/2 helmets don't have shields. Nothing worse than getting a bug, dirt, etc. in your eye to distract you from your driving!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

have fun taking your classes, congrats on your scoots :clap:
Riding is riding
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Ahh to be scooting in Indiana...! R :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome to a fellow hoosier ... whatever a hoosier is. I've lived here my entire life and I still don't know.

You've already heard the typical opinions and generally good advice, so I'll just add my :+!: to the MSF course. Another great resource and frequently recommended by many on MB would be the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough.

BTW, you'll have to keep an eye out for the rally in Indy (I forget what it's called .... Gasoline Rally maybe?), but one of the activities is a scooter ride around the Indy Motor Speedway.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Welcome to ModernBuddy and to riding!

There's lots of great info here for beginners and I suggest checking out some of our MB FAQs & Guides section to get started. There's an excellent post there about gear that goes into some more detail beyond some of the solid answers you've gotten so far!

Have fun!