Be safe out there guys.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ordermeanother

Be safe out there guys.

Post by ordermeanother »

We've had two pretty serious accidents in the two-wheeled community here in Cincinnati in just the last week.

http://www.fox19.com/story/21649635/set ... -afternoon

Pretty bad injuries but (luckily) no one killed. Seth Hershey of Metro Scooters here in Cincinnati, is a long time stalwart and friend to all in the two wheel scene. He's got probably 40-50,000 miles under his belt as a rider so it can happen to any of us.

I just want everyone to pay attention and ride defensively for the next few weeks as it gets warmer until the cars and trucks get used to us being back on the roads. I don't think the cagers are really expecting us to be out and about. Also a little gear goes a long way.
Ride. Advocate. Proliferate. -MOSC-
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ouch!

We had a fatality when someone totally blew a light on a back highway, hit the motorcyclist broadside going about 50mph.

Everyone be safe!
ohiotj

Post by ohiotj »

Wow, hope he's gonna be alright and heals fast. I just saw him up at Metro a couple weeks ago to pick up some parts.

Edit: When I lived on the west side, I avoided Colerain as much as possible, and that was in a car. That road is dangerous no matter what vehicle you've got.
DudeDog

Post by DudeDog »

Speaking of safety, here is a question I always wondered about...

I passed the motorcycle written (computer) exam, but no mention of what to do on a scooter in some instances.

I find myself always trying to avoid roads where I can't even go the speed limit on the Buddy 50.

But sometimes...

I have to drive a short ways on roads where the speed limit is 50. Most of the time there is a bike lane. Whenever possible I'll drive in that bike lane if I have traffic behind me.

What is the correct and safe maneuver? Stay in my lane? The road has 4 lanes, two in each direction. Or get out of the way in the bike lane?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DudeDog wrote:Speaking of safety, here is a question I always wondered about...

I passed the motorcycle written (computer) exam, but no mention of what to do on a scooter in some instances.

I find myself always trying to avoid roads where I can't even go the speed limit on the Buddy 50.

But sometimes...

I have to drive a short ways on roads where the speed limit is 50. Most of the time there is a bike lane. Whenever possible I'll drive in that bike lane if I have traffic behind me.

What is the correct and safe maneuver? Stay in my lane? The road has 4 lanes, two in each direction. Or get out of the way in the bike lane?
Unfortunately, there is no single "here's what to do every time" answer. You should first check state laws. In CA, for instance, riding in a bike lane is forbidden. Anyone on a road must be able to keep up with the flow of traffic at speed limit. You can get a ticket or get kicked off a road for going too slow.

There's sometimes a disconnect between "legal," "what you can get away with" and "safe," though. Far to the right side of a street (in the bike lane) is one of the most dangerous positions, particularly if there are cross streets, driveways, etc. It can be hard for those entering traffic from the right to see you, and those turning right might pull in front of you because they don't see you.

Provided you're within the law, you have every right to be in and occupy a lane. Drivers don't have a right to get where they're going as fast as they can, but some may not be aware of this. Occupying a lane but going slower than the speed limit and flow of traffic can create issues with tailgaters and cars swerving around you to pass.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Riding in the right lane is ok but DON'T ride in the right tire track of that lane for the reasons Eric listed but also many car drivers see that as an invitation to share your lane. They treat you like a bicycle rider, not another motor vehicle operator. Claim your space. You deserve it and have every right to it!
TVB

Post by TVB »

DudeDog wrote:I have to drive a short ways on roads where the speed limit is 50. Most of the time there is a bike lane. Whenever possible I'll drive in that bike lane if I have traffic behind me.

I treat riding in a bike lane (or on the shoulder) as a last-resort maneuver to use only when riding in a traffic lane is scaring the shit out of me. It's almost always illegal, and has its own safety problems (such as debris swept there from the traffic lanes, or y'know: bikes).

While I try to avoid it (for reasons of both safety and enjoyment) I find that riding in the right lane of a 4-lane (2 in each direction) 55mph highway is fairly safe, as long as you clearly claim the lane (as said above). Unless traffic is really heavy, cars approaching from behind can see that you're going slower than they want to go, and can change lanes before they reach you, allowing them to pass like they're supposed to, without problem. I'd rather ride like that, than on a 2-lane 45mph with moderately heavy traffic, where every minute you've got another car trying to squeeze past you without fully changing lanes.

In any situation where I find cars are stacking up behind me, I'm careful to pull off onto side streets (or parking lots or whatever... shoulders aren't ideal but they'll do) frequently, to let the congestion behind me get through. For both consideration and safety.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I am going to partially contradict the never-ride-on-the-right-side-of-the-lane advice, however. There are circumstances where I'll do it. First, Michigan law requires it of vehicles of 50cc and under, and following the law isn't always a bad idea. :) The rationale behind that rule is that it's easier and quicker for a car to pass a "moped" if the moped is over to the right. And sometimes that's the lesser of several evils.

If I'm on a 2-lane where everyone wants to go 15mph faster than me, and there's enough traffic in both directions that passing is difficult but they're doing it anyway, I stay out of their way as much as I can. I'd rather have someone pass me by doing a half-lane-change, than pass me by swerving around me and pulling back into the lane in front of me too quickly at an unsafe distance, or not pass me and ride 3 feet behind me until they can. The better solution is not to put yourself in that situation, or get out of it if you can. But ultimately it comes down to evaluating the specific situation and doing what makes the most sense for those circumstances.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

TVB - while there are many who would vociferously object and 'own their lane' at all times, I agree with you that sometimes reality sets in and I'd rather them do a half lane pass and be ahead of me than have them riding my rear rack.

As you are one of the kings of low-displacement distance riding, I bow to your reality! :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
DudeDog

Post by DudeDog »

My strategy has always been to:

1) stay off roads where I can't drive the speed limit, even if it means a longer distance to my destination

2) get out of the way if traffic is backing up behind me - I will gladly pull off in a driveway, parking lot, side street, etc. and let traffic pass

As far as the bike lane goes - a few weeks ago (in the bike lane) I hit some debris and got a flat tire. Genuine roadside assistance came to the rescue, and $120 and a day later I had a new tire and was back on the road.

So... I will rethink my bike lane strategies. I'm not sure what the law is in NC. I'll be sure to check that out. It's good to have experienced riders weigh in on this topic.