Topcase concerns

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

Topcase concerns

Post by Skippy »

So I just installed my new topcase which I purchased with my Scooterworks giftcard. I am concerned however that it will obscure the brake/taillight. I've seen several posts here about rigging up additional lights on the case, etc. Before I tackle that, thought I'd see if others with topcases have had problems with drivers seeing them or their braking. The plastic rack and topcase sticks out 4.5 inches past the end of the rear chrome rack so the brake light is pretty far in. Thoughts?
karl utrecht

Topcase/brake light

Post by karl utrecht »

I've had topcases on all the scooters I've had ( 14,15 I think) and there's never been any problem with them obscuring the brake/ tail light. If anything, it's helped during the daylight hours by possibly shading the light and making it more noticeable. I think the cars behind a scooter are usually at a distance that their sight line is fine with seeing your light...of course, that doesn't mean that some motorists will never see you in spite of however many lights you might have.

Karlu
Las cruces, nm
Karlu
Las Cruces, NM
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

My experience as well. No problem with line of sight and the shade makes it stand out.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I guess the only way not to see it is if you're in a high vehicle like a monster truck or SUV right up close in which case I would have other worries. I have mixed feelings about using a top case because I feel I've lost a little of the sportiness of the scooter, but it makes running errands like grocery shopping, and storing my full face helmet a lot easier.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

You probably can feel a hair of drag, but let's be honest, they're not big bikes. Buddy's are pretty quick, but they're still itsy bitsy engines pushing a rectangle through air with us on it.

My Shads are removable if I know I don't need the space, but I usually do. Haven't noticed any real speed decrease, though some have reported more tire wear. I'd have to see data to mark that as true unless you were carrying lead bars, but some armchair science could mark it as 'feasible'

I'm not terribly worried that it decreases the rear brake visibility, at least not any more than I am worried about getting hit to begin with.

You could have a disco ball that shoots lasers and does that Macarena, none of which will help if the driver in question is looking down at a text.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Yeah, like you say, it shouldn't be an issue at all unless someone in a tall vehicle is following you too closely to begin with. In that situation, you just do what you have to do to get away from them tailgating you.

People add extra lights because you can never have too much visibility on a scoot.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Since you are interested in the the downside of topcases be aware that the weight limit on the rear rack is a little more that 17 lbs (8 kg) and if you routinely carry that or more then maybe you need a bigger bike.

I have a 26 L that is big enough for my full face Lg helmet and gloves.
If you decide to get a topcase take care that they mount it with reinforcement washers (at least 1" dia.) on the back two rack attachment points. Occasionally I will load it up with groceries but I am only going a couple of miles and am really careful of bumps.

The typical fail involves going over a sharp bump (speedbump, manhole cover, pothole, etc.) in excess of 10-15 mph with an overloaded topcase. The typical fail point is one of the back two rear rack attachment points. All the attachment points are made by welding vertical extension posts onto the frame. What happens is that as you go over a bump with an over loaded case the leveraged force will torque these posts and rip the weld off the frame. A warning sign that you may be in trouble is the plastic starts cracking around the mounting bolts because it is flexing to much but it can happen with no warning. It is a Royal PITA to try and reinforce the frame before it happens so the next best alternative is to use as large a washer to distribute any excessive flex to the largest possible area.

As I chose my case the two key factors (as they were explained to me by the very knowledgeable mechanic) are:
1) Size: Larger case = more stuff = heavier. The largest case you can mount on the Buddy frame and be confident it won't cause damage is about 26 L. Then again, if you routinely transport your 100 lb hand weight set to the gym or your 40 lb coin collection, it is going to break, regardless. The larger cases look dorky on a Buddy anyway. :P
2) Mount: To mount the case you must have a rear rack but having the cowl protectors can help support it, too. They also give your passenger a larger foot rest and do a very good job of limiting damage when going down. As mentioned, using washers on the mounting bolts (and making sure they are big enough) is critical.

Don't want to scare you. I LOVE having a topcase. So much easier to store the helmet and I am always using it for one thing or another. Just thought you would want the entire story.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks for the advice. My rear rack came with the large metal washers which I did install on top of the plastic, so good there. I purchased the 35L Soft top case from Scooterworks. Don't know if that's bigger or smaller than the 26L you mention, but it holds my full face helmet. I don't plan on putting more than a few groceries or maybe a briefcase in it if I commute to light rail eventually. I was surprised however that despite all the time and effort it took to mount the plastic housing onto the rear rack, the top case itself mounts to the plastic with only one large screw.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I don't run a topcase myself, but I believe that the "L" in the designation stands for "liter". A rough conversion is 3 3/4 liters in a gallon, so if you think in terms of a milk jug versus the size of your case, you can envision capacity.

Assuming that I'm not talking out my arse, a 35L is going to be bigger than a 26L. :)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've seen this Scooterwest top case light kit in action and it's pretty cool:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... ersal/9375
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
anthony

Post by anthony »

az_slynch wrote:I don't run a topcase myself, but I believe that the "L" in the designation stands for "liter". A rough conversion is 3 3/4 liters in a gallon, so if you think in terms of a milk jug versus the size of your case, you can envision capacity.

Assuming that I'm not talking out my arse, a 35L is going to be bigger than a 26L. :)
this is correct.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The Givi top case light kits are uber cool. There are contact points on the mounting bracket and the bottom of the case. That way you can still remove the case and take it with you without having to remove wires.

One gripe I always have is that for all of them the red lens isn't even a reflector. It's just a chunk of red plastic.

I have a new top case that is that way. I will be removing the lens and backing it with 3m solas reflective tape and reinstalling.
http://www.aerostich.com/adhesive-3m-so ... ctive.html

I've seen others do this and the difference is amazing. I'll post some before and afters when done.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

BuddyRaton wrote:The Givi top case light kits are uber cool. There are contact points on the mounting bracket and the bottom of the case. That way you can still remove the case and take it with you without having to remove wires.

One gripe I always have is that for all of them the red lens isn't even a reflector. It's just a chunk of red plastic.

I have a new top case that is that way. I will be removing the lens and backing it with 3m solas reflective tape and reinstalling.

I've seen others do this and the difference is amazing. I'll post some before and afters when done.
Have you ever considered backlighting the lenses with something like Californeon?

http://www.californeon.net/
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Witch

Post by Witch »

Admore Lighting makes some fantastic light kits for a lot of popular Givi cases, and they offer a LOT more LEDs per kit than Givi's own. They're all quick-release, too. And they offer parts that you could likely use to fit into almost any case with the fake plastic reflectors.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Good advice, all. I went with the topcase in matching color of the bike, so 35L was the size it came in. It is kind of big, but I'll keep in mind the hazards mentioned. I like the idea of reflective tape, so please do post pics. Thanks.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

az_slynch wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:The Givi top case light kits are uber cool. There are contact points on the mounting bracket and the bottom of the case. That way you can still remove the case and take it with you without having to remove wires.

Have you ever considered backlighting the lenses with something like Californeon?

Hard wired in makes it a pain to remove the case to use the rack alone. Coast Gaurd approved SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) is about the most reflective stuff there is
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

az_slynch wrote:

I have used SOLAS tape under non reflective lenses with good results. I would love to try the tape you listed but I can't find a source for retail. Any links?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

www.teamscootertrash.com

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

My bad. I meant the electroluminescent led tape in the link. Aerostich is where I got my SOLAS tape.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

OK...took the lens off and put the solas tape behind it. Don't take off the backing...just cut to size. Also added a little extra red tape to the box. Total cost about $12

Before...you can see my reflective rain gear drying out

After...no lights...just solas behind the lens

www.teamscootertrash.com

michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

This is what I did with both of my topcases:

topic14573.html
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks for all the great advice. I ordered some SOLAS tape and will use that to begin with. I don't plan on much if any night riding,so might not be too much of an issue.