Wrightwood Ride - 5/18/13 - 7th year

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teacherquinn

Wrightwood Ride - 5/18/13 - 7th year

Post by teacherquinn »

Happy New Year!

We're doing our ride again. Saturday, May 18, 2013. Exact route to be determined but we'll still leave from Wrightwood community center parking lot at 9:00am and return by dark. We'll ride from Wrightwood to Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear all via windy mountain roads. Total for the day is around 150 miles. Scooters and riders need to be in good shape! 150cc and up. The smaller bikes WILL struggle a bit up the mountains but they are more than welcome. Motorcycles welcome too!

Gas up when you get to town because the next gas stop is 70 miles away in Big Bear. Lunch is in BB. We did Italian last year and will try to reserve it again.

I hope you can make it out for this fun filled day!

Linda
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

One of my favorite rides of the year!! See you there!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
magnato1

Re: Wrightwood Ride - 5/18/13 - 7th year

Post by magnato1 »

teacherquinn wrote:Happy New Year!

We're doing our ride again. Saturday, May 18, 2013. Exact route to be determined but we'll still leave from Wrightwood community center parking lot at 9:00am and return by dark. We'll ride from Wrightwood to Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear all via windy mountain roads. Total for the day is around 150 miles. Scooters and riders need to be in good shape! 150cc and up. The smaller bikes WILL struggle a bit up the mountains but they are more than welcome. Motorcycles welcome too!

Gas up when you get to town because the next gas stop is 70 miles away in Big Bear. Lunch is in BB. We did Italian last year and will try to reserve it again.

Linda
My girlfriend's family lives in Lancaster. Anyone ever scoot from Lancaster to Wrightwood? Also, are you discouraging Stella's from this ride?
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

magnato1 wrote:
teacherquinn wrote:Happy New Year!

Linda
My girlfriend's family lives in Lancaster. Anyone ever scoot from Lancaster to Wrightwood? Also, are you discouraging Stella's from this ride?
Hi! I work and have kids down in Palmdale and ride up/down the mountain all the time. As long as it's in good running condition we encourage everyone to join us!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

My girlfriend's family lives in Lancaster. Anyone ever scoot from Lancaster to Wrightwood? Also, are you discouraging Stella's from this ride?[/quote]

Hi! I work and have kids down in Palmdale and ride up/down the mountain all the time. As long as it's in good running condition we encourage everyone to join us![/quote]

Great, I'll start making plans for the trip.

My girlfriend says that Sierra Highway is pretty sketchy and that everyone goes 65-70, do you have a recommendation for a quick (few stops) way to get to the 2? I'd be coming from 10th St. W and Avenue K. Looks like I could take 10th all the way down to S and then cross over to 25th St. E and take that until Cheseboro and Then Mt. Emma to Fort Tejon (which appears to be the 2 on the map). Does this seem about right? About how long does it take you from Palmdale to Wrightwood? Thanks!

Jeff
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

magnato1 wrote:My girlfriend's family lives in Lancaster. Anyone ever scoot from Lancaster to Wrightwood? Also, are you discouraging Stella's from this ride?
Hi! I work and have kids down in Palmdale and ride up/down the mountain all the time. As long as it's in good running condition we encourage everyone to join us![/quote]

Great, I'll start making plans for the trip.

My girlfriend says that Sierra Highway is pretty sketchy and that everyone goes 65-70, do you have a recommendation for a quick (few stops) way to get to the 2? I'd be coming from 10th St. W and Avenue K. Looks like I could take 10th all the way down to S and then cross over to 25th St. E and take that until Cheseboro and Then Mt. Emma to Fort Tejon (which appears to be the 2 on the map). Does this seem about right? About how long does it take you from Palmdale to Wrightwood? Thanks!

Jeff[/quote]

Yes, that's the way to go. Continue through Valyermo, passed the turn to Big Rock Creek, and up N4 into Wrightwood. It'll take an hour from Palmdale.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Alright, I am excited, thanks for all of the help!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

IN! AGAIN!

I look forward to this 11 months a year!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

ericalm wrote:IN! AGAIN!

I look forward to this 11 months a year!
So do we!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
burgmanite

Post by burgmanite »

Where is this place?
edgar
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

burgmanite wrote:Where is this place?
It's in the mountains in Southern California.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
jamisfoes

Post by jamisfoes »

Hi, I'd like to join you if you don't mind a 4t Stella tagging along. I will be coming from Irvine.

By the way, if someone lives in OC and are interesting in going on this ride. I have a full size pickup and can take two scooters. You are welcome to ride up with me and chip in for gas.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Absolutely join us! I think Eric will be riding his Stella as well so you'll be in very good company.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll be on my LX!

I've ridden the Stella up there once… Once. Won't do it again. The Stella 4T doesn't handle the altitude well at all. Totally bogs down over 7,000 feet and won't go over 35mph. Having done the Wrightwood ride before, I have to say a Stella would really struggle to keep up along the way unless you can ride up, rejet and adjust your air/fuel mix for the altitude!

Not trying to dissuade anyone from coming, of course! But if you haven't ridden the 4T up to 8,000 feet yet you might be in for a surprise when the performance drops like a stone.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jamisfoes

Post by jamisfoes »

Eric, thanks for the tip. How do you think a Buddy 125 would perform on this route?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Much better. We've had some Buddy 150s along and they do fine as do stock Vespa 150s that are probably not much stronger than the Buddy. The hardest parts are probably getting there (if you're riding up), then a couple climbs on the return trip. Even my LX slows on the last long climb of the day, which is always kind of hilarious.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

How do you guys think a 170i will take a trip up there?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drum Pro wrote:How do you guys think a 170i will take a trip up there?
Just fine! Injected should help with the altitude. May have to reset the sensors up top… Not sure if it's the same with the 170, but on the Vespas, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery forces the oxygen sensor to reset.
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

We took a test drive today and changed the route a bit to avoid the descent into the desert. It's about 140 miles so come prepared for a long day.

Meet in Wrightwood at the bank on Highway 2 at 8:30 and leave at 9:00. We'll be back around 5:00ish. Please gas up before we leave Wrightwood and we'll stop for gas and lunch in Big Bear. Carry water but there are stops along the way to refill. Check your brakes and tires and be ready for a very technical ride with tons o hairpins and mountain roads.

Here's the route:

http://goo.gl/maps/er7TU
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

I've done it on a Buddy 150 without problem.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

People have done it on a Buddy 125, though personally I think it stretches a 150 to the max.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
People have done it on a Buddy 125, though personally I think it stretches a 150 to the max.
We all tend to think within the limits of what we have to ride. :)