NSR - Torchwood / Dr. Who / Sherlock/ i.e. BBC Geek chat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

small world.....
I been watching BBC series 1 of Torchwood on Amazon Video & think its good.
Friday I watch the the new series Torchwood Miracle Day on Stars & liked that so I looked up John Barrowman on Wikipedia

The guy is my age, & graduated from Joliet West high school when I graduated Joliet Catholic high school - we both went to high school in Joliet IL at the same time for 4 years 1.8 miles from each other.

(At the same time, Andy Dick was at Joliet West & graduated in 84 - so Andy Dick & John Barrowman spent 3 years walking the halls at the same time)

Weird.

Speaking of Torchwood (& I know it sounds shallow) but cant Eve Myles get that gap fixed? I feel like I am watching David Letterman's daughter. - but I do like her work
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

and after watching 2 seasons with Rose Tyler I gotta say - nice

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:Speaking of Torchwood (& I know it sounds shallow) but cant Eve Myles get that gap fixed? I feel like I am watching David Letterman's daughter. - but I do like her work
LOL. This is why I've always referred to her as "Gap-toothed Gwen!" I don't mind the gap (pardon the pun). In fact, I always thought it was kind of cute paired with the Welsh accent. My wife has seen her in person, though, and says she looks like Howdy Doody.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Back to Torchwood Talk....

Ok... wet get it.... Capt. Jack is gay - do they have to shove it down our throats? (Yeah... its a pun)

And actually... he didn't used to be gay (not that there's anything wrong with it)
On Dr. Who he would try to nail anything (guy, girl, alien (& I think he might have snogged the Tardis))

And.... Major Kira AND Q on Torchwood?!!!!
I was geeking at a whole new level.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm kind of surprised Torchwood:MD is getting a TV-14 rating. The sex depictions have been totally unnecessary. I don't have a problem with such things if there's a point to them. It seems like the point in these episodes has been, "Why not, we're on cable!" Doesn't really do anything for the story, the atmosphere, the characters, etc.

Back to (most recent) Dr. Who, best line ever:
"I have a gun. You have a time machine. Let's kill Hitler!"
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

ScootLemont wrote:Back to Torchwood Talk....

Ok... wet get it.... Capt. Jack is gay - do they have to shove it down our throats? (Yeah... its a pun)

And actually... he didn't used to be gay (not that there's anything wrong with it)
On Dr. Who he would try to nail anything (guy, girl, alien (& I think he might have snogged the Tardis))

And.... Major Kira AND Q on Torchwood?!!!!
I was geeking at a whole new level.
The first episode I saw had a pretty graphic scene at the end. A little much. Just tell me the character is gay, don't have to show me. But it didn't stop me from trying to catch up. Not quite sure I'm up to speed. I think you're meant to feel that way.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Don't underestimate Rory ... he's not as insubstantial as he first seems - remember he is the Last Centurian - he has lived over twice as long as The Doctor, he is the voice of reason, and usually right. And he is a hero, except perhaps in his own eyes - but Amy and The Doctor know it.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote:Back to (most recent) Dr. Who, best line ever:
"I have a gun. You have a time machine. Let's kill Hitler!"
+1
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

And I did not see her being River coming - nice twist

I really enjoyed this week's episode.

Rory punching Hitler was great
TVB

Post by TVB »

bigbropgo wrote:The first episode I saw had a pretty graphic scene at the end. A little much. Just tell me the character is gay, don't have to show me.
I haven't seen the scene, so I can't compare... but I've sat through some pretty explicit mixed-gender scenes in movies and cable TV, that I felt were "a little much" and did far more than necessary for storytelling reasons to show me that the characters were straight... but my straight friends didn't think so. I suspect that the difference between "just enough" and "too much" is mostly a matter of which side of the aisle you're watching it from. :) (And yes, Captain Jack would be sitting squarely in the middle of the aisle.)
mhgay89

Post by mhgay89 »

Oh my goodness. I can't believe there is a Doctor Who thread. I absolutely LOVE Doctor Who. My husband introduced me to it when we were dating. Him and his mom had watched most of the classic Doctor's and introduced me to the new Doctor's. I soon was caught up and now I anticipate every Saturday evening when a new episode will come on. This newest series with Amy Pond is fabulous. She is such an amazing character and her pairing with Rory is neat. Rory is quite the character himself, starting out timid and now a confident, protector. I have grown to like Rory a lot.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

TVB wrote: (And yes, Captain Jack would be sitting squarely in the middle of the aisle.)
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fYSij6houls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

And since this is Dr Who & Scooters chat...
First 2 minutes of this vid feature a nice Vespa

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rqJDAoCpUuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I miss Rose
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I'm a big fan of New Who.

I ....kinda liked Torchwood. I haven't yet seen the Miracle Day series on Stars, but I've seen everything prior. Mostly because I wanted to, even if I didn't necessarily like it that much.

One of the major talking points about the series from a lot of people has been whether RTD has a "gay agenda." It was a forum hottopic for ages. From the polite "too much sex or too much focus on gay sex" to the "AMG gay agenda being shoved down our throat." Counterpoints ranged from the polite "different show, some more sex is fine" or "there's always hetero sex, try to be tolerant to gay sex" to the "AMG why are you such a homophobe!" etc.

It shouldn't be a surprise. Even on his own website,
http://www.russelltdavies.com/#/torchwood/4521448404,
describes it as "Torchwood revels in its post-9pm slot -- expletives, slang, and innuendo are peppered throughout -- and is much closer to the drama series that Davies made his name with, Queer As Folk, which is a slightly uncomfortable fit for a series that is looking to mix a darker tone with Doctor Who's new-found campy irreverence."

(BTW, Charlie Hunam from Sons of Anarchy I'm told was brilliant on Queer as Folk)

Personally, I found the gay sex, as well as the straight sex, overdone in Torchwood. I don't necessarily care about whether or not the show is "pushing an agenda" or making a statement or whatever. I get it's a different show from New Who. I get RTD is generally good at what he does. But I just felt like Torchwood didn't really fully hit. The sex was just gratuitous overall. It ended up detracting away from the sci-fi storylines which is what I was hoping for. I ended up rolling my eyes a lot and wanting them to get back to the 'good' stuff.

There's scifi that does mix sex in, and there's scifi that doesn't. It's not that I necessarily fall into either camp: I like some things from either category. I think the problem for me was I felt the sex (and yes, the gay sex) was *badly* put into the Torchwood. It isn't the concept so much as the context? If that makes sense. I heard someone once say that if you don't pay attention closely you'll wind up thinking almost every member of the team slept with at least two-coworkers. (But no, that's not true).

With that said, I've only seen seasons 1, 2 and 3: Children of Earth. And I'm still planning on watching all of season 4. Crossing my fingers for good stuff! There were some episodes I did love on Torchwood. Particularly Countricide left me shaken for quite a while! (Coincidentally or not, I don't think there was ANY sex in that one).

This forum doesn't use [spoiler] [/spoiler] tags or I'd say something about a season 3 character that got a ton of fans super upset ;) I'd also say something about why I thought Countricide was so powerful but I don't want to spoil it for anyone planning to watch it.

Also, on Gwen, her gap is part of her charm, I actually found her to be pretty cute. I think it's because I love the lilting Welsh accent, it's very neat!

On New Who's LKH, I can talk a while :P So I'll spare ya my theories!
Last edited by Edwub on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Hwarang wrote:There's a vespa in that pic?! :P rrrroooowwwwrrrrrr!
I couldn't agree more, but I'm looking at Ten. :wink:

I mean, Eleven is a great character, but HOT DAMN Ten had charisma.

/and gods help me i love me some emo boys
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I agree with most of what has been posted about the sex....

Its just a good thing that Lucas took out the scene of Han blowing Chewbacca in the original version of Empire - that would have been too much for audiences in 1980.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ravenlore wrote:

I am straight & I think Tennant is hot.
But Rose.... something about her jawline or maybe its her mouth.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Edwub wrote:One of the major talking points about the series from a lot of people has been whether RTD has a "gay agenda." It was a forum hottopic for ages. From the polite "too much sex or too much focus on gay sex" to the "AMG gay agenda being shoved down our throat." Counterpoints ranged from the polite "different show, some more sex is fine" or "there's always hetero sex, try to be tolerant to gay sex" to the "AMG why are you such a homophobe!" etc.
I think he/the show is definitely making a statement with the depictions, which is fine but it doesn't really serve the show. I suppose it's trying to be a bit "post-sexual" in the sense that in our modern times we've grown very accustomed and accepting of how heterosexual sex is depicted to the point where it's very predictable. They're trying to say that there's no reason all types of sexual behavior can't be treated equally onscreen. This was driven home pretty heavy handedly earlier in Torchwood:MD when they intercut two sex scenes to the point where it became so abstract you couldn't tell which was which and who was who. That was clever and well done, but again had nothing to do with the story.

Sexuality was more of a theme in past seasons of Torchwood, where Jack's omnisexuality played into the relationships among the team and was more integral to the plot and development of other characters. I really have the feeling that much of what we're seeing on Miracle Day is stuff they just couldn't get away with before, have saved up until now, and are shoehorning into this fairly straightforward SF/suspense/thriller/espionage story. Miracle Day has enough themes of its own without having to carry such heavy baggage from past seasons.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I'll just leave this here.

http://youtu.be/l2rfTR1PJkk

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l2rfTR1PJkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

Capt. Jack isn't gay! He's just very multi-sexual. Has anyone noticed that he hits on ANYTHING that has a somewhat humanoid form, some intelligence, and a pulse? I haven't started watching Torchwood yet, but in the Dr. Who series, Capt. Jack is a truly equal-opportunity lover. :)

And, yes, I really like the Dr. Who episode with the Vespa. What I hated was that neither the Doctor nor Rose had to deal with flat, sweaty helmet hair. Ah, the magic of T.V.! If I could find a helmet that would leave me with perfect hair everytime, I'd be in scooter rider heaven...
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Captain Jack Harkness: The last time I was sentenced to death, I ordered four hyper-vodkas for my breakfast. All a bit of a blur after that... I woke up in bed with both of my executioners. Lovely couple, they stayed in touch! Can't say that about most executioners.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anyone watch Blackpool?

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nGBmE_QPdxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Witch

Post by Witch »

ravenlore wrote:
Hwarang wrote:There's a vespa in that pic?! :P rrrroooowwwwrrrrrr!

This. 8)

And I love that version of the theme song! Brilliant!
Tam Tam

The idea of

Post by Tam Tam »

Back up above, someone mentioned sidecowl Doctor Who stickers. That got me thinking - has anyone ever worked over a scooter into a Dalek style?
plunger arm and all?

and now, to represent in the Geek arena - in high school, after Fri night football games (I played drums in the marching band) I would race home to watch Doctor Who on PBS.
The very first episode I watched was when Tom Baker regenerated to Peter Davison. He is still my fave Doctor, but -
- who else gets a kick out of the 2 Peter Cushing films, the ones where he called himself 'Doctor Who' ? (one of my fave epsiodes with the first Doctor was a remake of that first Peter Cushing film "Doctor Who and the Daleks" - the other was called Daleks: Earth Invasion 2015, I think)
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Amy Pond is gone (& is now a perfume model?)

I did enjoy the Doctor being mistaken for having a "partner"

fun episode
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Dalek on a scooter?

yeeeeah <.<
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

this looks like another good season

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qrEUBl2pacU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

on a related note... if you havent watched Sherlock I highly recommend you check it out - Amazon Streaming / iTunes

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YcFHeTaS9ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
theflash784

Dr. Who/Sherlock/ BBC

Post by theflash784 »

I have watched the Sherlock series on PBS. I love them and the way they updated the stories. I also like the actor who plays Dr.Watson. He also played in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy -I loved the movie, the old TV series and the books. RIP Douglas Adams
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Watson is played by Martin Freeman - who was Tim on the BBC version of the Office (thats the Jim roll on the american show)
& yeah... I didnt realize it until I caught it on late night cable, he was Arthur Dent in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy!
He is also playing Bilbo Baggins in the new Hobbit Trilogy.

And... he was spotted in Cardiff filming with David Tennant & the speculation is that Tennant is going to appear on season 3 of Sherlock.

In other BBC news....
David Tennant and Arthur Darvill (yes... Rory Williams) star in Broadchurch - a BBC show about Tennant as a cop investigating a murder in a small town. Hopefully on BBC America or PBS in 2013 here in the states.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Martin Freeman...what an actor! I love him in Sherlock. Did anyone else spot him in Shaun of the Dead as the boyfriend in the other survivor group?
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

persephonelily wrote:Martin Freeman...what an actor! I love him in Sherlock. Did anyone else spot him in Shaun of the Dead as the boyfriend in the other survivor group?
That film is almost a "who's who" of early Noughties British comedy...

Well, at least if you liked "Spaced". 8)
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Uncle Groucho wrote:
That film is almost a "who's who" of early Noughties British comedy...

Well, at least if you liked "Spaced". 8)
You mean...there are people who don't!?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Thought this would be a good place to post these

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

By the way... both Tennant & Piper are back for the 50th anniversary special
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Doctor and Clara on a Triumph Scrambler.
Attachments
w00t!
w00t!
33953_10151466778797863_769037516_n.jpg (191.15 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

The Triumph guys were all asking what that mysterious box on the gas tank was. Turns out it allows him to ride up the side of a building! The new Scramblers are only available in flat matte green or black. The Dr is riding a new gloss black one.

Clara is my favorite companion so far.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Found this in the British Museum - in a display about money