Stella choices

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Spud

Stella choices

Post by Spud »

I'm a college student, who has always loved bikes. I've owned a couple already; a sport bike and a moped--never a scooter, though.

Unfortunately, owing to a traffic accident a few years ago and the subsequent surgeries, my left leg is damaged, and therefore operating the gearshift on a motorcycle is uncomfortable. Mopeds are unfortunately also uncomfortable, for the most part.

So, I went to a scooter shop and tried a few models; a big Taiwanese scooter, the SYM Wolf motorcycle (love this bike--too painful to ride for long though, for me), and the Stella 4T.

The Stella was the best of the lot. The twist & go controls of most scooters just don't do it for me. :( The fact that the Stella shifts like a motorcycle, but with the hand rather than the foot, is beneficial to me, as I have the full use of 3 out of 4 of my limbs, and by luck, the one limb that doesn't work properly is the one that isn't in charge of anything on a Stella beyond sitting atop the floorboard.

Anyway, this shop has a few different Stellas, and I'm not sure whether I want to buy one there, or wait, or check out another shop, so I figured I'd ask here for some advice.

They have the floor/demo model Stella 4t, that I rode. Lovely yellow paint (I like it, at least). 22 miles. Caked in a layer of dust, and as it had been left to sit for a long time with fuel, the carburettor was fouled and needed cleaning. There are many cosmetic defects, such as scratches in the paint, small dings, broken casing on the wires, and a rumpled crease where the body meets the floorboard, on the sides. The scooter is "new", but definitely not new new.

He's asking $3400 out-the-door for it.

There is also the 2009 Stella 2t he's offering for $2999. After setup fees, probably $3200. I'm not a big fan of the color (the powder blue), but it might grow on me. The finish is impeccable and the cosmetic condition of the scooter is just fine; nothing wrong with its looks.

I didn't test ride this one. How do you like your 2t if you have one? Does it smell as "fragrant" as a 2 stroke moped or lawnmower, or is it really cleaner due to the catalytic converter?

Any help is really appreciated.
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

I've owned both a 2T and now a 4T...
I do like my 4T, but I loved my 2T. Granted, I'm still breaking in the 4T... but the 2T ran so much better. If you could get your hands on a new 2T (or even used), I would grab it. There are a lot more options for them if you like to tinker with your bikes (and you'd better if you are buying a Stella). Personally, I think you'd be happier with a 2T. Yes, the beloved 2 stroke smell is there (I miss that too), but it's not as strong as a lawnmower.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Lol. I have the powder blue 2t. The color grows on you (sort of. At least it doesn't get lost in a parking lot).

2t or 4t? Personal preference. Both get the job done. As long as you have a good shop to back you up, both are a good choice.
I'm not trying to muddy the waters, they are the same bike with a different motor, but if you get a pack of them together, they all keep up.

You are gonna love this weird little bike.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Spud

Post by Spud »

Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure what I want, but I know I really like the Stella and it's a lot more fun to ride than most bikes.

I didn't find the 4t too sluggish or anything; I'm used to riding mopeds, and compared to a Mobylette the Stella 4t is a rocket.

Are the prices good, by the way?

The $3400 floor-model 4t offer took some haggling. I think the owner considers me a bit of a PITA by now, but I have to get the most for my scarce dollars. He mentioned that flaws in the finish are the rule, rather than exception, when it comes to Stellas; is that so?

The $2999 + setup fees is the sticker price on the 2t. I'm not sure the dealer would sell for any less than this, since it's already below MSRP, unless he really wants to get rid of it. I haven't asked.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Personally I'd go with the 4T.

I own both and the 4T bike is just so solid and nice.

The 4T is also cheaper to operate, Gets a higher MPG than the 2T bike and doesn't consume oil. Oil changes are about every 1800 miles according to the manual and it uses just shy of a quart of oil a change. Filters are cheap and it's a new filter every other change.

You won't ever have a 2T oil leak with the 4T bike either, I've had mine in my living room where as I wouldn't bring my 2T in the house as it'd leave a mess.
Spud

Post by Spud »

JohnKiniston wrote:Personally I'd go with the 4T.

I own both and the 4T bike is just so solid and nice.

The 4T is also cheaper to operate, Gets a higher MPG than the 2T bike and doesn't consume oil. Oil changes are about every 1800 miles according to the manual and it uses just shy of a quart of oil a change. Filters are cheap and it's a new filter every other change.

You won't ever have a 2T oil leak with the 4T bike either, I've had mine in my living room where as I wouldn't bring my 2T in the house as it'd leave a mess.
Leaning toward the 4T now--I like the idea of low operating costs.

Would you buy the slightly dinged-up floor model for a cheaper price, or would you wait for a "new batch" to come in at some point in the future? Demand for these scooters is low in my area, so I imagine I could be waiting a loonngg time..
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I'm not picky, as long as the bike is mechanically solid I'll ride it.

Mine is a theft recovery and has plenty of cosmetic issues but it runs great.

You can get touch-up paint from your dealer and fix the scratches and other flaws, I'm curious about the mentioned crease as I can't visualize that.
Spud

Post by Spud »

This photo was originally from the Genuine web site. The red arrows point to the general area of the bike I'm talking about.

On this photo, the entire length of that area seems to line up clean and straight.

On the bike in the shop though, this fold of the body is all rumpled through the entire length.

My main concern is that this might be an early sign that the bike has been repeatedly ridden off the center stand, causing warping and possibly setting the bike up problems with its frame in the future.

The dealer says it's no big deal at all, and that many Stellas just come like this. If that's actually the case, then obviously I may be able to overlook it. But if it's a sign of warping from stress, then that concerns me.

I realise that my explanation of what I'm seeing may be hard to understand; it's one of those things that's hard to picture unless you're looking at it right in front of you.
Attachments
Stella.png
Stella.png (116.78 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Spud wrote:This photo was originally from the Genuine web site. The red arrows point to the general area of the bike I'm talking about.

On this photo, the entire length of that area seems to line up clean and straight.

On the bike in the shop though, this fold of the body is all rumpled through the entire length.
I'm not a Stella owner, but this just does not sound good to me, not one bit.
stASH

Post by stASH »

I think if you look closely at that picture, you can see variation in the gap between the metal of the body and the floor board rail. I know on my Stella that edge of sheet metal is not arrow straight. The factory quality control on the fit and finish of the Stellas is not known to be impeccable. However, I think the dealer's statement about flaws being the rule is a shady kind of thing for a dealer to say. If those flaws are paint chips and scratches, they certainly could be from handling of the bike there at the shop, not necessarily from the factory. All in all though, assuming you still would get the 2 year warranty, $3400 for a Stella with 22 miles is a good deal. I paid $4000 out the door this past October.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

That warping could also be from people sitting on the bike with it on the center stand.

I don't think that it's a show stopping problem, I have a friend who rode off his stand for years and his bike does look kinda stressed in that spot but it doesn't flex or ride weird.

If you buy the bike it has that 2 year warranty from genuine, I don't know if that'd help out in this case but it could be worth asking.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I don't think I've yet seen a Stella that does not have some sheet metal variation in that area....including my own.
Also, if you look along the edge the paint is frequently chipped off as well...need a good eye but you'll see it.
I suspect this is more related to poor crating (they are in cardboard boxes) and rough handling once crated.....like the bike is getting banged about in the container and the cardboard is abraiding it.
Really though, as long as you aren't going to be continually out in the rain it could be protected with wax....even if chipped to the metal.
Dealer can get touch up (from Tuck) if he can be motivated.
Frankly, I think the asking prices are in the five hundred too high range...for either one.
If your garage burned down (God forbid...this is just a example) the insurance would payout based on the model year....with little consideration to it being one day old in your posession.
You can still find new 2t's out there...in the 2600.00 range plus fees.
I'm seeing 4t's in the 32/3300 range.....new old stock.

Keep in mind, the 2t's only have a one year 6k warranty......the 4t's get the two year program.

I really think the 2t's are better suited for those operators that have a strong mechanical sensitivity.....a two stroke announces a problem either by a new sound or feel or change in operation.....like a unexplained idle increase, or dieing out at idle.....but it never did that before.
The machine may be trying to tell you a crank seal is leaking, causing a vacuum leak...trouble is, continued operation will cause damage from running lean.
So, if you admit that it could get away from you, then I too strongly recommend the 4t.
A much more forgiving engine that would not be destroyed by running it lean....it just runs so lousy you must attend to it.

Good luck in your quest,
Rob
Spud

Post by Spud »

Thanks Robbie for your reply.

I think I could pay close enough attention to the 2-stroke to notice when something was amiss (it wouldn't be my first 2-stroke; I had a Mobylette before it got stolen--not exactly the same, I know, but it's something). But, the lack of 2 year warranty is of course relevant...

What do you think a good price (fees included) would be for a new '09 Stella? I'm still leaning toward the 4-stroke, but if I could get the 2-stroke in great shape for much cheaper, then I could deal with the lower reliability and shorter warranty.

Most people seem to have such a concrete idea of what they want. Me...well, it's probably good Bajaj doesn't make the Chetak anymore because I'd spend some time mulling it over as well. :cry:
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I believe there are still a fair number of 09 2t's out there and any dealer would be satisfied with 2500.00 plus fees......I paid that for mine a year and a half ago, and it was fresh out of the crate.

You wouldn't have to work so hard to get a price if your quest had begun around November.....hungry times in the bike biz make for easy dealin.

Early spring.....you will have to find the dealer that is sick to death of looking at the old inventory.

Regarding the light blue....same color as I have.....I'm not young (63) into retro, and collect cars as well.....anytime someone starts to ' uh geez....I don't know about the color' I just say to think about a 57 Chevy or T-Bird....I think 75% were that color.....works every time, people 'get it'.

Truth be told, operated with common sense, meaning don't ride around with the throttle pinned....I find it is happiest in the 45 to 50 range, the engine seems reasonably robust.
I'm at 5700 miles now, several loooong 50 mph rides, a few cable free play adjustments, trans oil changes etc. and have no issues beyond a one blown fuse for a unknown reason about 5000 miles ago.

Good luck!
Rob
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I'm gonna be frank, but fair with my assessment of my leftover 2009 Stella 2T; if you want to simply ride and go anytime or anywhere the Stella might not be for you; I have owned mine since last September and between the kill switch going D.O.A., ignition coil shorting out, pinched wires, several small squirrely issues, and currently a 2T oil leak I am highly disappointed!!! I gave up a perfectly good Buddy 125 for my cantankerous problem after listening to hype about the 'fun' of riding a Stella; notably there are 'fun' times when it's running well, but there are constant fears of something major going wrong...ask around about the issue with the engine crank or crank bearing going kablooey; basically I ran out of disposable cash and cannot afford another trade to get something better and I am contemplating putting mine up for consignment sale at my shop once the 2T oil leak repairs are completed
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

kmrcstintn wrote:I'm gonna be frank, but fair with my assessment of my leftover 2009 Stella 2T; if you want to simply ride and go anytime or anywhere the Stella might not be for you; I have owned mine since last September and between the kill switch going D.O.A., ignition coil shorting out, pinched wires, several small squirrely issues, and currently a 2T oil leak I am highly disappointed!!! I gave up a perfectly good Buddy 125 for my cantankerous problem after listening to hype about the 'fun' of riding a Stella; notably there are 'fun' times when it's running well, but there are constant fears of something major going wrong...ask around about the issue with the engine crank or crank bearing going kablooey; basically I ran out of disposable cash and cannot afford another trade to get something better and I am contemplating putting mine up for consignment sale at my shop once the 2T oil leak repairs are completed
If you didn't wreck it, all of those things are covered by warranty
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Spud, if you are anywhere near PA make him an offer! Sounds like he got all the bugs worked out of it.

I bought mine with 9500 miles on it and its second engine. It is not my primary transportation. So far I am having a blast with it. Indian products are just not up to modern standards. I got rid of my Royal Enfield for exactly that reason. I thought I was buying a modern interpretation of an antique. What I got was a real antique with a warranty. The Stella should be looked at that way. If you need reliability, buy a Buddy.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Stitch wrote:If you didn't wreck it, all of those things are covered by warranty
That's true...and a good thing about buying new. But if it's your only transportation it sure is a pain to keep having to bring it back to the dealer and leaving it for a couple of days, bumming rides and taking the bus
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Spud

Post by Spud »

I just called another dealership, and they told me that, while they normally don't carry Stellas (apparently most potential scooter buyers want CVT/auto), a shipment of new Stellas are en route right now, in all colors, and he could order one and it would be set up before the end of the month.

He said they were 2013's, but I've heard elsewhere that there will be no 2013 Stella. :?
Spud

Post by Spud »

olhogrider wrote:Spud, if you are anywhere near PA make him an offer! Sounds like he got all the bugs worked out of it.

I bought mine with 9500 miles on it and its second engine. It is not my primary transportation. So far I am having a blast with it. Indian products are just not up to modern standards. I got rid of my Royal Enfield for exactly that reason. I thought I was buying a modern interpretation of an antique. What I got was a real antique with a warranty. The Stella should be looked at that way. If you need reliability, buy a Buddy.
I can deal with a reduction in reliability for the enjoyment of a manual transmission and an all-metal body. The relatively high seat height (and its position relative to the floorboard) of a Stella is nice too for me, and is very good for my knees. It's actually higher up than some motorcycles.

Really, shifting gears and what not helps take my mind off my knee injury and makes me happy. When I rode a CVT scooter, I just felt too removed from the machine and its mechanisms. Maybe this sounds cheesy or overly romantic, but it's true.
anthony

Post by anthony »

viewtopic.php?t=24493&highlight=red

I believe that was a picture Genuine posted to their facebook about the new Stellas that had just come into the country, so I think there definitely are/will be a '13 model.
J33pman

Post by J33pman »

Sounds like those other two bikes will be there a while--long enough for you to check out the other dealer's offerings. I have a 2T and a 4T, and I honestly prefer the 4T smoothness and torque going up hills. This thing is almost silent at idle, and doesn't sound like a lawnmower going down the street.
Spud

Post by Spud »

J33pman wrote:Sounds like those other two bikes will be there a while--long enough for you to check out the other dealer's offerings. I have a 2T and a 4T, and I honestly prefer the 4T smoothness and torque going up hills. This thing is almost silent at idle, and doesn't sound like a lawnmower going down the street.
Really appreciate all these great replies. I'm pretty much decided that I want a 4T now (unless by some happenstance I end up coming across a 2T for a ridiculously low price).

The other dealer says a brand new Stella from the new shipment would run me $4K after dealer fees.

At that price , I wonder if it would be reasonable to ask for some "freebies", such as chrome leg shield protectors and a helmet. :?:
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I think brand new Stellas usually go for about $4,400, so asking for free stuff probably won't work, but it can't hurt, :).

I bought my Stella last October. It's a 2010 Dijon and had clearly been sitting there for two years. It also had some imperfections and the crooked floorboard like you mentioned. I got it for $3,000 out the door. If you want that Dijon 4t, I think you can make 3k happen. If I were buying brand new, I'd get a Cream Stella. Good luck with your purchase and welcome.

Jeff
Spud

Post by Spud »

magnato1 wrote:I think brand new Stellas usually go for about $4,400
:shock: I see...
so asking for free stuff probably won't work, but it can't hurt
I'll give it a try. I've found a little shamelessness can pay off sometimes. :lol:
I bought my Stella last October. It's a 2010 Dijon and had clearly been sitting there for two years. It also had some imperfections and the crooked floorboard like you mentioned. I got it for $3,000 out the door. If you want that Dijon 4t, I think you can make 3k happen.
I tried, but he won't take a cent less than $3,400. :?
If I were buying brand new, I'd get a Cream Stella. Good luck with your purchase and welcome.

Jeff
Thanks!
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

As for price, last year I got my '12 Stella, brand new in perfect condition, for $3,200 + tax.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Wild Handyman wrote:As for price, last year I got my '12 Stella, brand new in perfect condition, for $3,200 + tax.
Wow...that's pretty nice. What city did you buy it in, if you don't mind my asking? I live in New England and I imagine that prices for the Stella may be higher here than in the Southern states.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

For the shape that the 'new' 4t is in from your description I would be sure that the dealer had a guarentee on it and that all the mechanical issues have
been addressed. My dealer, Vespa Marietta, has not brought any 2013 models
in but prices the 2012 models at $3699.00. If your dealer wont drop the
price $200.00 I would leave it there to collect more dust and see if you can
find a dealer that will work with you. Remember, Cash talks, BS walks.
The Stella is a great scoot. If you like the 2T best get one now as they will
not be bringing 2Ts in any more. Last I heard they wee not bringing 2013 Stellas in but that could be bad info.
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

Spud wrote:
Wild Handyman wrote:As for price, last year I got my '12 Stella, brand new in perfect condition, for $3,200 + tax.
Wow...that's pretty nice. What city did you buy it in, if you don't mind my asking? I live in New England and I imagine that prices for the Stella may be higher here than in the Southern states.
Two hours away from me in Richmond, VA.