Loose mirrors? Pictures here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phatch

Loose mirrors? Pictures here

Post by phatch »

The left mirror that was loose forever has FINALLY BEEN OPENED... To get it open, I first tried pushing back the rubber but couldn't get the mirror to pop out. This worked for other members but I had to take another approach. Spin the mirror unit in one hand while holding onto the stem with the other hand, pulling both apart at the same time.. It will eventually become loose, and you can poke out the mirror from the back. Note that this process is time consuming!

Here are pics of the inside:

Notice the blue LOCKTITE on that sucker!! Heh.

Also notice the shape of the black rubber gasket, and how it's not possible to pull out with a tweezers.

To put back together once you've tightened the nut down, just slide the mirror back into the gasket, and the whole unit will go back into the mirror housing. No sweat!

Hope this helps anyone with a limp mirror! ;)
fossel

Post by fossel »

I just put a couple of drops on the ball in back ,without taking it apart,It last about 6 months and can be adjusted.
phatch

Post by phatch »

fossel wrote:I just put a couple of drops on the ball in back ,without taking it apart,It last about 6 months and can be adjusted.
I thought about that, but what did you drop in there? I liked the idea of keeping it "clean" without dripping stuff in there, and knew it could be restored back to the original tightness with the tightening of a nut.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Good write-up and great pictures!

I wonder if the stock nut could be swapped with a metric Nylock nut for the folks that are disinclined to use thread locking compound. How's the clearance in there?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

az_slynch wrote:Good write-up and great pictures!

I wonder if the stock nut could be swapped with a metric Nylock nut for the folks that are disinclined to use thread locking compound. How's the clearance in there?
I could be wrong but it appears to me it is using a ny-lock already.
I can see the crowned top.
I speculate it is a cheezy ny-lock since the OP was able to spin it off by twisting the mirror head.
Possibly a true (deformed) lock nut would be more appropriate.

Rob
phatch

Post by phatch »

Robbie wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Good write-up and great pictures!

I could be wrong but it appears to me it is using a ny-lock already.
I can see the crowned top.
I speculate it is a cheezy ny-lock since the OP was able to spin it off by twisting the mirror head.
Possibly a true (deformed) lock nut would be more appropriate.

Rob
It is definitely a ny-lock, and Rob, you're probably right about it's cheesy-ness! It was easy to unscrew by hand. I used Loctite because I had some on hand and it's done me well with other projects.
2meScoots

Loose Mirror ARM? same issue?

Post by 2meScoots »

Hello! Thanks for the post!

Quick clarification if you dont mind:

Does tightening this nut that sits behind the mirror effect how it secures to the threads on the handlebars? It seems like this issue has to do with just the small circular mirror part coming loose? is that correct?

Mine is the arm of the mirror where it screws into the female threaded part of the scooter handlebars.

I noticed that both mirrors are threaded into the handlebars, and they can be pulled loose and retightened by hand. I thought this was an intended part of the design but now one of the mirrors stays secured in place, and the other tightens too far, so the mirror is useless to whoever is driving.

If tightening this nut fixes that, then I have my answer. I guess I was just unclear what was loose before you did the steps outlined here in this post.

Thanks again for helping resolve this!
phatch

Post by phatch »

This nut only affects the actual round mirror attached to the stem piece, and it's swiveling action.
stASH

Re: Loose Mirror ARM? same issue?

Post by stASH »

2meScoots wrote:I noticed that both mirrors are threaded into the handlebars, and they can be pulled loose and retightened by hand. I thought this was an intended part of the design but now one of the mirrors stays secured in place, and the other tightens too far, so the mirror is useless to whoever is driving.
There is an adjuster nut at the base of the mirror stem where it attaches to the handlebar. If your mirror assembly is rotated too far out when it gets tight, just loosen it a bit, then tighten that small nut at the base, and then try rotating the mirror back out to tighten it.

Or, use a wrench on the adjuster nut. Hold the mirror stem in the desired position, and tighten the adjuster nut with the wrench.
swillscooter

Need some clarification

Post by swillscooter »

Sorry to revive a dormant thread...

I'm having trouble understanding how to screw the mirror off in order to get to the innards. The top of the post says...

"Spin the mirror unit in one hand while holding onto the stem with the other hand, pulling both apart at the same time.. It will eventually become loose, and you can poke out the mirror from the back. Note that this process is time consuming! "

Could someone explain a little about what "spin the mirror" means? I turned the mirror counter clockwise for about 15 minutes last night and did not notice any sort of progress. Anyone have some tips?
chas

Re: Need some clarification

Post by chas »

swillscooter wrote:Could someone explain a little about what "spin the mirror" means? I turned the mirror counter clockwise for about 15 minutes last night and did not notice any sort of progress. Anyone have some tips?
^This. I am having the exact same problem. I have a loose mirror and can't get into it from the front due to some liquid nails a friend of mine used to refasten the glass to the housing and now my only hope is to spin it around to tighten the nut. I have had zero luck with all of this. Please tell us what to do different!
Kamikazecassidy

Isn't working. Please help.

Post by Kamikazecassidy »

I just replaced my mirror at the dealership and now it swivels. Awesome considering I live an hour away. My mirror has definitely loosened even more since I started trying but I can't seem to get it to loosen all the way. PLEASE HELP! My scooter is my only transportation

Thanks so much