high performance exhausts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bmorebuddy

high performance exhausts

Post by bmorebuddy »

Has anyone put an aftermarket pipe on their buddy? I want a little more power for my 50. The only thing is I dont want the loud sound. any thoughts or suggestions would help.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Exhausts are generally for sound (noise to me) rather than power on 4 stroke vehicles. Even very sophistocated vehicles like new vettes gain No power from aftermarket systems; just noise.

Systems on 2 strokes are a whole different thing. The complete nature of the engine can be cahnges using pipes and jets.

Don't waste your money on the Buddy. It's a 4 cycle.
bmorebuddy

Post by bmorebuddy »

but i have the 50 and that's a 2 stroke? You think it would help?
gmon

Post by gmon »

The 50 is a two stroke and yes it will help. If you want to mod your buddy , do it and have fun. You will find that there are things that will help and things that wont help. You will not know till you try them.As long as you have fun , thats all that matters. Who cares if it only adds a little power, every little bit counts. And on a two stroke or a four stroke an after market exhaust will make it louder which in turn will make others more aware of you. Loud pipes save lives
just admit it , its fun
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

gmon wrote: And on a two stroke or a four stroke an after market exhaust will make it louder which in turn will make others more aware of you. Loud pipes save lives
Good point on the louder exhaust making you safer. Can you recommend a good, loud, somewhat inexpensive?
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

gmon wrote: And on a two stroke or a four stroke an after market exhaust will make it louder which in turn will make others more aware of you. Loud pipes save lives
That's not really true, though it gets repeated enough that people think that it is. In today's age of 10,000 watt thumping-bass stereo systems and hyper-insulated cars that buffer out all exterior noise, increasing the decibel level of your pipes isn't going to make much, if any difference. Besides, the dangerous drivers are the ones who are oblivious to everyone else around them--if they aren't looking for you, they certainly aren't listening for you. Don't rely on loud pipes to save your life.

Michael
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I wish the american government was as dedicated to motorcycle safety and awareness as european nations seem to be. :?
gmon

Post by gmon »

Of course loud pipes wont always save your life but in the case of someone who might not see you because of a blind spot , they might hear you. Theres no way it could hurt.
just admit it , its fun
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Driving at any speed will cause the doppler effect. This means that the sound waves you'll be producing won't go as far in front of you as behind you. And this distance gets shorter the faster you're going.

Loud pipes might help if you're right next to someone, but really they just wake the neighbors.

And, in PA at least, deaf people can get drivers licenses.
Not really from Iceland.
DeadPatroit

No, they actually do...

Post by DeadPatroit »

Regarding performance exhausts on 4 stroke engines: Yes they definately do help, but like any performance mod they need to be done with other things in mind. High performance headers on motorcycles usually require rejetting and intake mods( aircleaner) to achieve real gains. Why? If yiou envision an engine as a pump, the goal is to move as much air(air fuel mixture ) as possible through it. so to move more through you need to increase the input, to increase the output. So... decreasing restrictions in the air intake(K&N) and decreasing backpressure(exhaust) mean more gas can move through the engine.. If you dont think a pipe can improve a 4 stroke, i advise a quick look at the POC pipe for the bajaj cheetak.. the poc scooters website includes a graph, showing gains.
real friends don't let friends use Windows.
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

While a good exhaust system will certainly help a 4 stroke, the effect won't be nearly as noticeable as on a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke pipe is a whole different world. The huge high and low pressure waves that can exist in a properly tuned 2 stroke pipe can turn a modest 50 cc 2 stroke into a beast. The 2 stoke pipe not only provides a low pressure suction to pull the fuel/air mixture thru the cylinder, it also provides a high pressure wave to force burnt and unburnt fuel/air back into the exhaust port.

What is neat about a 2 stroke pipe is that can so drasticly change the shape of the power curve as well as peak power.
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

If for no other reason, I'd like an after market pipe because the stock one is so ugly (unlike everything else on the bike)!
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

Has anyone here actually changed the exhaust on a 50? I am planning on getting the "cylinder kit?" done at the 500 mi. service if they have it in stock. The mechanic that I talked to said that it will be able to do wheelies after that. I have not seen or heard of an aftermarket exhaust for the Buddy. BTW, since mine has been "deregulated" would I benefit from an exhaust? I always thought that 2 strokes relied on backpressure for power.