(NSR) Buying used motorcycle - what's more important?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chloefpuff

(NSR) Buying used motorcycle - what's more important?

Post by chloefpuff »

So I'm looking at Honda Shadow Aeros in the 4000-5000 price range.

Everything else being equal, which is more important: mileage or model year?

2006 Aero with 18,000 miles vs. 2004 with 4000 miles.

Thoughts?
so tough, so pink
ravenlore

Re: (NSR) Buying used motorcycle - what's more important?

Post by ravenlore »

chloefpuff wrote:So I'm looking at Honda Shadow Aeros in the 4000-5000 price range.

Everything else being equal, which is more important: mileage or model year?

2006 Aero with 18,000 miles vs. 2004 with 4000 miles.

Thoughts?
Knowing nothing about that bike, or if changes were made to the design between those model years...i'd go with the significantly lower miles as opposed to two years "newer"
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I would actually say service.. but if both were equal I would say mileage.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

How many of a model were sold? What are the parts available ?
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

still shifting wrote:How many of a model were sold? What are the parts available ?
I'm fairly sure that the models didn't change for several years. I think these are the same bike.
so tough, so pink
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you find a good one, they make sharp-looking bobbers.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^ Those are nice. The patriotic one is sweet.
so tough, so pink
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

chloefpuff wrote:^ Those are nice. The patriotic one is sweet.
I know, right?! Even the Rebel 250 kits are cool.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Shadow is a solid cruising bike. Honda has been making them for more than 25 years and has produced quite an array of different models with 500/600/700/800/1100 cc V-twin engines. The low seat makes them popular with shorter riders and those new to motorcycles. They are easy to find on the used market and bargains abound. As far as parts, it has to be the best selling large motorcycle in America. The bikes have been steadily upgraded but most of the changes have been small. I'd say condition and mileage is much more important than model year. One of the few exceptions would be the switch to fuel injection which occurred in 2010.

Lots of info and discussion forums out there on the net.
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/
http://www.shadowriders.org/
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^I settled on this bike because of the low seat. I can't even flatfoot my Buddy but I can flatfoot the Shadow Aero. I feel very comfortable sitting on it. Honda reliablity can't be beat and there's a gazillion used Shadows out there.

My only negative is color. I would have to buy new to get the color I want. That means $3000+. Expensive paint job.....
so tough, so pink
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Personally I would go with the 2006.

2500 mi/yr vs 450 mi/yr.

I'm betting that the 2006 has a better service record.

Plus you might be able to negotiate, due to the mileage.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Look at the new Honda CTX 700 series and the CB 500 series. Around six grand for the 500's and six to seven for the 700's. They are even proclaiming seventy mpg for the 700's and an available automatic and ABS for about a grand more.
"Life without music would Bb"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Keys wrote:Look at the new Honda CTX 700 series and the CB 500 series.
Depends on what a rider is going for. The Shadow is a classic cruiser. The CTX700 will be a modern touring bike, and the CB 500 (despite the CB badge) is basically a sport bike. All have their place, of course.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

^Just looked them up. I prefer the traditional cruiser styling of the Shadow line. Plus the seats are probably too high for me.
so tough, so pink
Keys

Post by Keys »

There are three iterations of the CTX, including the 'naked'version which sports a designs similar to the DN01 cruiser. As for the 500's, there will be a sport version, a 'naked' version and an adventure tourer so the statement that the CB's are just sport is somewhat inaccurate.

But I do understand that some people prefer the cruiser style and the ACE is a good choice. Good luck in your search.
"Life without music would Bb"
stASH

Post by stASH »

In general, with motorcycles and scooters I think care and maintenance are much more important than age and mileage. On the low mileage bike, there may be problems that arise from it sitting. Gunked up fuel system, rust in the tank, and deteriorated rubber would be signs of neglect while sitting.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Good input from lots of folks above.
My 2008 Buddy has 34K miles and it kicks ass. Plus, it's always garaged; both at home and at work. The guys at Sportique Scooters always tell me it looks amazing for the miles on it.
Find a bike like that, and you'll be golden!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I purchased a used Honda Shadow a few years back. It was a 2003 with 3500 miles at the time.

I'd opt for the lower mileage vs the model year. Not so much for over concerns about engine life, but you SHOULD be able to get more life from things such as tires, brakes, clutch, chain, etc. with the lower milege vehicle. To use a couple of overused phrases, these things are basically rock solid and essentially bullet proof. As someone else mentioned, as long as the routine maintenance has been kept up with, I wouldn't have a concern with either of these bikes.

If you're interested, some of my other thoughts on the Honda Shadow are here: topic24192.html

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Keys wrote:As for the 500's, there will be a sport version, a 'naked' version and an adventure tourer so the statement that the CB's are just sport is somewhat inaccurate.
Well, I'll give you that :wink: . There is certainly a version in adventure bike trim. For that matter, the NC700X is one of the 700 series in adventure bike configuration as well. Honda's strategy is definitely a style for everyone.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

In this case, I'd go with the higher mileage bike. The lower mileage one may have had all it's miles put on in the first summer and then sat around for 9 years while the gas turned to gunk, moisture crept into the brake fluid systems, the tires dry rotted, the gaskets dried out, the gas tank rusted, and the battery died. That's very unlikely with the higher mileage, newer machine, which I'm guessing has been run fairly recently,

P.S. Nobody can fault you for looking at a Honda Shadow, but I wonder if you've thought about the Spirit compared to the Aero. I don't have the specs for the older bikes, but the Honda site shows the following for the new bikes. The Aero is the first column and Spirit is the second. The Spirit's seat is a tiny bit lower, that's probably a wash, but look how much lighter the Spirit is, 37 pounds! I did a bunch of research on the Spirit and the only complaint I found was about the stock seat which apparently isn't great for long rides. (There are aftermarket seats, so I just figured that into the price when I was thinking about buying one)
Attachments
Honda Shadow Comparo.JPG
Honda Shadow Comparo.JPG (30.81 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i would say two wheels and some sort of handlebar set up is pretty important :D
Riding is riding
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Great food for thought, everyone. I've decided not to save money by buying a bike that's so old it's history is unknown and all of its rubber bits might be significantly degraded.

Assuming its still available, I will pursue a 2009 with 2300 miles at a somewhat local dealership. And it's burgundy so that's a bonus (even though I really want cherry red). It's more than I was hoping to spend but not an issue.

Rob, thanks for your links. They were really helpful.

Btw I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY BUDDY.
so tough, so pink
amyrob56

Honda Aero

Post by amyrob56 »

You will LOVE it!!! I bought mine last year on my 56th birthday!!!
Keep looking on Craig's list - here in WI they are popping up all over as it is finally warming up ... well not today or until next Wednesday but we did have a taste. I can almost flat foot mine and I am 5 feet nothing.
The bike is very well balanced and I am becoming more confident of her every day. Mine is a 2008 with about 12K and she runs sweet. Very forgiving of my rookie shifting. I think they went from belt to shaft drive somewere in the mid 2000s if that makes any difference to you. Mine is shaft drive...

Last July I wanted a scooter. Went to a MC dealer that had a Honda Metro on the website. Got there saw the big cruisers and told my husband HE had to buy a motor cycle. He did. I bought the Metro. 6 weeks later I signed up for MC safety class and got my license. Traded the Metro on the Shadow - miss the Metro - waiting on availablity for a 170i to commute as we keep the cycles at our weekend/summer home... :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

chloefpuff wrote:Great food for thought, everyone. I've decided not to save money by buying a bike that's so old it's history is unknown and all of its rubber bits might be significantly degraded.

Assuming its still available, I will pursue a 2009 with 2300 miles at a somewhat local dealership. And it's burgundy so that's a bonus (even though I really want cherry red). It's more than I was hoping to spend but not an issue.

Rob, thanks for your links. They were really helpful.

Btw I AM NOT GETTING RID OF MY BUDDY.
You're welcome. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with purchasing an older model, low mileage bike. I've done so with different vehicles and toys many times. You can generally check just about everything you need to check visually, by test driving and ensuring the engine is running well, no leaks, running at proper temps, all those good things.
Another key is to ensure you get a cold engine start and not a restart after the owner already has it warmed up.

Anyway, good luck with your new bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's always good to have a variety of rides in your stable. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

Neither. What shape is it in, how does it run, and has been regularly serviced are what are important.