Rattler 110 top speed (on flat)

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ajsilver

Rattler 110 top speed (on flat)

Post by ajsilver »

I'm thinking about a Rattler 110. I have an Aprillia SR50 right now. I'm wondering whether I will see a significant improvement in power and top end or if it will be marginal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Indicated top speed or real top speed? Indicated I've hit 62... real that's about 55-56mph. With the 137cc kit scooterworks has planned it'll be faster than that. It's got the power, not the RPM's. Brakes (the front) are great, handles good too. Handlebars are wide enough to turn two scooters. Some even thik too wide, you can take an inch or so off each side (ask POCPhil). Feel free to ask any questions you have. Some of the questions you have may be in Yahoo group genuinerattler too.
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

What would it take to de-restrict the Rattler 110? Any cheap ways to get more power (sliders, rollers, drilling exhaust, snipping wires, etc)?
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Broken-in?

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:What would it take to de-restrict the Rattler 110? Any cheap ways to get more power (sliders, rollers, drilling exhaust, snipping wires, etc)?
Is yours broken-in yet? They get better after about 800 miles or so, at least mine did.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

It's over 50cc... no restrictions. However it does run pretty good with a pipe, heavier rollers (yes heavier) and air filter. Makes more noise too. Supposed to run pretty good with stock airbox too. I don't know what jetting will do I haven't gotten that far. If you want extreme gains wait for the big bore kit etc to come out. There's only so much performance you can gain with the stock cylinder (RPM limit). I agree that it does get a smoother powerband once it's broken in too.
FLMINI1048

Re: Broken-in?

Post by FLMINI1048 »

mattgordon wrote: Is yours broken-in yet? They get better after about 800 miles or so, at least mine did.
Still don't have one yet as I'm still trying to sell my motorcycle in order to get a scooter. Haven't made up my mind yet which one but I love the thought of a big two stroke, especially if it's not a shiftie (stella, PX, etc).

How much faster/quicker did it get after break in?

Also, just because it's not a 50cc doesnn't mean it's not restricted. Check out the Genuine site and it shows that the restricted top speed for the Rattler is 55+. I'm guessing the restrictions here are more for the environment than for keeping the speed down like it is on the 50cc's.
Have a great day!

Mike
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

The only thing close to a "restriction" would be keeping the bike in a state of tune to pass emissions. Not really the same as restricting a 49.5cc scooter to stay at 30mph or below. No restritor in the variator or exhaust (however it is not tuned for any specific powerband). It's possible there's a rev-limiter in the CDI, but no one is saying if that's true or if it would be safe to significantly raise the RPM capability of the stock cylinder. To get it through emissions the stock cyliner has fairly short port timing, that's why to really really crank up this 2 stroke you'd need a big bore kit and carb along with rollers and exhaust and intake. I'm happy with just the exhaust, air filter, rollers so far. I don't feel that it's modified so much that I have to worry about durability or reliability. A high RPM running machine would need more maintainence than a stock RPM machine. That's true of any vehicle though.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Oh, I went from a BMW R1150R to a scooter... much more practical. And tons of fun too. (Had a Yamaha YZF600R before the BMW)
mattgordon

Re: Broken-in?

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:
mattgordon wrote: Is yours broken-in yet? They get better after about 800 miles or so, at least mine did.
Still don't have one yet as I'm still trying to sell my motorcycle in order to get a scooter. Haven't made up my mind yet which one but I love the thought of a big two stroke, especially if it's not a shiftie (stella, PX, etc).

How much faster/quicker did it get after break in?

Also, just because it's not a 50cc doesnn't mean it's not restricted. Check out the Genuine site and it shows that the restricted top speed for the Rattler is 55+. I'm guessing the restrictions here are more for the environment than for keeping the speed down like it is on the 50cc's.
The 110 has a weird, smaller secondary pipe on the exhaust that I hear "some" people have defeated in order to gain more power, that's all I know about that....

Mine's box-stock, save for a tailbag I adapted to it, and I can see a legit 51~52 mph (56~57 indicated) if all the moons line-up, the tradewinds are favorable, and the octane is 91.... :D
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Glad to hear it may just be an issue of jetting and losing the stock pipe which I am sure has a cat in it.

Yeah, I'm just not using the FZ1 like I used to as all my riding is now in town and the max speed is around 55-60. I can do that with 5hp. The other 125hp are just going to waste.

Better to ride a slow bike quickly than a fast bike slowly!
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:Glad to hear it may just be an issue of jetting and losing the stock pipe which I am sure has a cat in it.

Yeah, I'm just not using the FZ1 like I used to as all my riding is now in town and the max speed is around 55-60. I can do that with 5hp. The other 125hp are just going to waste.

Better to ride a slow bike quickly than a fast bike slowly!
Does your screen name indicate you as a Mini Cooperist?
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

mattgordon wrote: Does your screen name indicate you as a Mini Cooperist?
It does! 2005 Silver convertible with the navy blue interior and top and nearly every option imaginable. I love my MINI!
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:
mattgordon wrote: Does your screen name indicate you as a Mini Cooperist?
It does! 2005 Silver convertible with the navy blue interior and top and nearly every option imaginable. I love my MINI!
Not to get off-topic, I too have an '05....HB/W, 6 speed.
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Way off topic now:

Very cool! I was looking for the Hyper Blue or the Purple Haze but they were nearly impossible to find. Found an incredible deal on the silver one so I had to bite.

Now back to our regularly scheduled post:

How often does the Rattler need service? My nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Will a dealer do a hop up job before it leaves or will they make you wait until after the first service?
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:Way off topic now:

Very cool! I was looking for the Hyper Blue or the Purple Haze but they were nearly impossible to find. Found an incredible deal on the silver one so I had to bite.

Now back to our regularly scheduled post:

How often does the Rattler need service? My nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Will a dealer do a hop up job before it leaves or will they make you wait until after the first service?
The gear oil gets changed at 200 for the warranty, and...? Since it's a 2T, there's no crankcase oil...otherwise I don't think it needs much. The hop-up is a warranty killer, check with your dealer first !
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

mattgordon wrote: The hop-up is a warranty killer, check with your dealer first !
Would a pipe and jet change void the warranty? or just major changes? What about changing the rollers or sliders? I know bikes really well but I have alot to learn about scooters yet.
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:
mattgordon wrote: The hop-up is a warranty killer, check with your dealer first !
Would a pipe and jet change void the warranty? or just major changes? What about changing the rollers or sliders? I know bikes really well but I have alot to learn about scooters yet.
The Prima pipe on a Buddy voids the warranty. I'm sure the Prima pipe on the Ratt will too. Again, check your dealer but I bet "YES", it will. Check out the fine print in this ad for the Prima Buddy pipe:http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/ ... Pipe/1573/
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's my understanding that this is somewhat protected by federal law (The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), though state warranty protections vary.

Aftermarket performance mods don't void your entire warranty—despite what Genuine might claim. The systems enhanced or affected by the mod will no longer be covered, though. So, put on a pipe and your exhaust system is pretty much out of the warranty. But your electrical is still covered. Or, for instance, if your carb fails for some reason covered by the warranty, then it would be covered unless the cause of that failure could be traced to the pipe.

Rollers would not void it—they're parts that normally wear out and need replacing. Sliders might if your variator or clutch died and they were found to be part of the cause.

That said, I frequently see Magnuson-Moss quoted in various threads and being interpreted by people who—like me—are not legal experts.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:It's my understanding that this is somewhat protected by federal law (The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act), though state warranty protections vary.

Aftermarket performance mods don't void your entire warranty—despite what Genuine might claim. The systems enhanced or affected by the mod will no longer be covered, though. So, put on a pipe and your exhaust system is pretty much out of the warranty. But your electrical is still covered. Or, for instance, if your carb fails for some reason covered by the warranty, then it would be covered unless the cause of that failure could be traced to the pipe.

Rollers would not void it—they're parts that normally wear out and need replacing. Sliders might if your variator or clutch died and they were found to be part of the cause.

That said, I frequently see Magnuson-Moss quoted in various threads and being interpreted by people who—like me—are not legal experts.
You could grow old or broke fighting with a dealer and/or manufacturer over that, meanwhile waiting for your scooter to be "fixed". I assume the manufacturer knows about Magnusson-Moss too, (which I've always interpreted as saying "you don't need to have preventative type service done BY them, in order to keep your warranty in effect"). But then again, I'm no attorney either. I'm simply pointing out what's been said/posted by firms as reputable as Motorsport Scooters (also a Genuine dealer... and my Genuine dealer of choice in fact) regarding their own after market pipes, etc. As I recommended, check with YOUR dealer.

Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware is all.

Oh, and Murphy's Law usually rules...at least for me. :?
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Ok, here's the skinny on the MM act: You are both correct...to an extent. Matt is a little more correct in that they cannnot require you to have your service performed there unless they offer the service for free, ala BMW or MINI.

When it comes to changing out parts, Eric is technically correct. However, it doesn't matter how right you are if the Dealer feels that changing any one item voids the warranty on the entire scooter. In order to prove that you were right, you would have to spend tens of thousands in court which likely would not be reimbursed to you (parties typically pay their own attorneys fees until otherwise permitted by statute).

Therefore, you would be right but it would cost you $20-40K prove that the $200 repair is covered. Sometimes, it's just cheaper to not fight it.
Have a great day!

Mike
mattgordon

Mag-Moss

Post by mattgordon »

FLMINI1048 wrote:Ok, here's the skinny on the MM act: You are both correct...to an extent. Matt is a little more correct in that they cannnot require you to have your service performed there unless they offer the service for free, ala BMW or MINI.

When it comes to changing out parts, Eric is technically correct. However, it doesn't matter how right you are if the Dealer feels that changing any one item voids the warranty on the entire scooter. In order to prove that you were right, you would have to spend tens of thousands in court which likely would not be reimbursed to you (parties typically pay their own attorneys fees until otherwise permitted by statute).

Therefore, you would be right but it would cost you $20-40K prove that the $200 repair is covered. Sometimes, it's just cheaper to not fight it.
That sums it up well, and basically how I've always understood it.

So, at the end of the day, soup-up a new scooter pretty much at your own peril I think.