Wife and I bought our first Scooters.

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

evilbean42

Wife and I bought our first Scooters.

Post by evilbean42 »

So my wife recently got a new job. It's about 2 miles away, but employees have to pay monthly for parking spots. We decided to look into a 50cc scooter as a solution. After visiting the dealer we wound up getting a Buddy 125. We had so much fun riding the Buddy that we decided we needed another scooter so we could go for rides together. So just over a month after buying the Buddy for my wife,we were picking up a Stella for me. Here's a few pictures from our first ride.

Last edited by evilbean42 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Great looking scoots! Welcome to MB.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats to you both!

Some nice backdrops there. Where are you located?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kimmiekarma

Post by kimmiekarma »

Awesome!!! They look great together!!! Which do you like better Buddy or Stella??
evilbean42

Post by evilbean42 »

I live in Philadelphia. The first 3 pics were taken at 2 parks near my house in South Philly. As for my preferred ride, I like my Stella way better than the Buddy. That said my wife would tell you the exact reverse. Really they are both incredible scooters designed for different personalities and purposes.
Tam Tam

Awesome!!!!

Post by Tam Tam »

looks fun! my hunny bunny and i ride together, and it's more fun than having her ride on the back behind me. She drives the blackjack, and i use the stella - big fun! the only slight drag is she doesn't want to learn how to shift a 4 speed, so she's always the blackjack. But if she's having fun, then I am too!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

evilbean42 wrote: As for my preferred ride, I like my Stella way better than the Buddy. That said my wife would tell you the exact reverse. Really they are both incredible scooters designed for different personalities and purposes.
you said it perfectly - my hunny loves the blackjack...but me? i can't decide - they are both so different styles of performance, construction, and style.
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
kimmiekarma

Post by kimmiekarma »

WHy how would ou describe the differences between the Stella and Buddy? And what are the differnet purposes you are siting? :o
Tam Tam

Well, I'd put it like this -

Post by Tam Tam »

I'd say it like this (in a bad Clint Eastwood impression) - "Fina (the stella) is a cruiser, but Sally (the blackjack) is a bruiser!"

Fina I like to drive in a more relaxed style. She's heavier and so she handles differently. The manual trans makes it a different riding style, as you really focus on operating the vehicle. If I'm not in a hurry to be somewhere, and I want to just cruise and take it mellow, I use Fina. She rumbles and shakes, sends out 2t smoke, and is a pleasure to ride. The shifting and rattling reminds you that you are riding a vehicle that has not greatly changed in design for 40+ years. Top speed is maybe 55mph, but then again, I'm not riding for speed, but riding for pleasure. It's strange, but you get almost a feeling of partnership - this comes as well from having to push her home after she's died, or taking it apart to figure out what's wrong. But it's a great feeling once you've figured it out, put her back together, give her a kickstart, and boom! you're back in the game. You learn to listen to the engine, learn the sweet spots to shift, and soon appreciate how smooth she'll ride once your balance, shifting and control all come together...plus, Stella's just look swank.

Sally, though, is my hot rod lol. She's a lot lighter, so I can hit 75mph (indicated) on a straight away. I can take her into turns a lot harder (in fact, one set of turns by my house I've scrapped the kick stand while banking). Being lighter, you can really move her around under you when you're turning. She can also smoke cars at green lights if I gun it (which is fun to do if folks in the car next to you are clowning you for riding a scooter). If I'm in a hurry, or feel like riding fast, or going 60+ miles one way, I'll choose the Blackjack 4 outta 5 times. She doesn't rattle, has better shocks, and a modern engine/transmission. With her riding has become almost intuitive. I can turn on a dime, and the operating becomes easy as breathing. It is on her that I still feel I have more control. She feels much more responsive than the Stella, but that may be because I've around 6000 miles on 3 different cvt scooters, and only 1900 on a manual 4 speed. And, Buddys look cool. The best blend of 'retro' and modern styling, hands down.

So - if I want a mellow, peaceful ride on a classic machine, it's the Stella.
But, if I want a fast ride on a lean, mean machine, it's the Blackjack.
Attachments
Tam Tam, and the bruiser & the cruiser
Tam Tam, and the bruiser & the cruiser
The Treacherous Three.jpg (199.96 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

NICE write up Tam Tam! Me want a Stella or Px even more now.... :cry:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Nice scoots, nice pics. welcome to MB. :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
kimmiekarma

Post by kimmiekarma »

Sweet!! Thanks for explaining, now I can really understand!! How many cc's is your Blackjack?

My cousins live and San Antonio and have been loving my new scooter posts on Face-book and inquiring about them. I may have to get you guys together so you can give them some ideas about how great it is to have a scooter in SA!

I was there visiting in the summer of 2010. My favorite though, ws AUSTIN!!! That would be a great place to scoot around!!

CHEERS!
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

Both the Stella and the Blackjack are 150cc's. The difference in speed and handling comes from the engine design, the transmission, and the weight of each scooter.

Recommend The Motorcycle Shop in San Antonio to your cousins should they be curious/interested about scooters. They are a great, no pressure shop that sells and services all manner of scooters and motorcycles - I've bought 3 of the 4 scooters I've owned there. The staff is awesome, the mechanics awesome, and rather than try to upsell you instantly, they focus on getting you the scooter you are looking for.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

My Wife and I also have a Buddy (150 Italia) and a Stella (4t, Avocado)
It really is remarkable, the difference. I think riding the buddy is like riding a la-z-boy. I prefer the Stella. I like to shift. lol.
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

I need to convince my future hubby (58 more days....) to get a Stella. :D
- Ally
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

AlleyOops wrote:I need to convince my future hubby (58 more days....) to get a Stella. :D
Would make a great wedding gift!
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

Drum Pro wrote:NICE write up Tam Tam! Me want a Stella or Px even more now.... :cry:
Thank you!...it can be done, I just had to do a little 'creative accounting' and tell myself that my next two traveling vacations are waiting in the garage to be ridden :P
Tam Tam

and

Post by Tam Tam »

AlleyOops wrote:I need to convince my future hubby (58 more days....) to get a Stella. :D
and could look super ultra cool in your wedding photos!
AlleyOops

Re: and

Post by AlleyOops »

Tam Tam wrote:
and could look super ultra cool in your wedding photos!
Oh I wish!!! We are actually getting married in Colorado though, we live in Western NY, so no wedding scooter photos for us. So sad.
- Ally
303 whodat

Post by 303 whodat »

We are actually getting married in Colorado though

Well, depending on where your ceremony is, perhaps you could rent some?

Here is a scooter rental in Estes Park...

http://www.zootscootestes.com/homepage.htm

How cool would that be?

AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

303 whodat wrote:We are actually getting married in Colorado though

Well, depending on where your ceremony is, perhaps you could rent some?

Here is a scooter rental in Estes Park...

http://www.zootscootestes.com/homepage.htm

How cool would that be?

That would be awesome!! Our ceremony is kinda in the middle of nowhere though.. 30 miles outside of Estes Park, but maybe we'll rent some before/after during our trip :D
- Ally
skully93

Post by skully93 »

When is the wedding Ally?

There's A TON of MB members here, so we can point you to a lot of things.
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

7/7 in Lyons Colorado.. but flying out w/ the family a week before, Denver for 3 days, Estes Park for 3 days, Lyons for 3 days and Boulder for 3 days.

I went to college in Denver, but haven't been back to Colorado in about 8 years. I can NOT wait.
- Ally
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

AlleyOops wrote:7/7 in Lyons Colorado.. but flying out w/ the family a week before, Denver for 3 days, Estes Park for 3 days, Lyons for 3 days and Boulder for 3 days.

I went to college in Denver, but haven't been back to Colorado in about 8 years. I can NOT wait.
Congrats! I love mountain weddings!
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

There is no better feeling than the two of you scooting together, I'll bet. Enjoy it!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Congrats!

For those joint rides, you might want to consider some type of communication system. When my wife is on the scoot, I often time ride an MC. On the longer trips, these systems are really nice ... at least they work for us. They also have the added benefit of a bluetooth interface to your phone or Ipod. They've made my riding even more enjoyable.

We originally used a Cardo Scala system but changed over to a Sena SMH10D Bluetooth system.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jamespolk

Post by jamespolk »

Me want Stella! Must . . . get . . . Stella!! :cry:
"It's not that I'm just new at this, it's that I'm looking for a whole new life style."