battery died :/ [edit: Blur wire/cable failure]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

battery died :/ [edit: Blur wire/cable failure]

Post by Edwub »

Day 1: Couldn't start the scooter trying to leave work. Worried that the battery died, since the lights weren't on that well (turn them on with the key on 'on', after a few seconds they'd turn off). Attempt to start the scooter resulted in a single, loud "click."

Pulled the battery out, got a ride home, and tracked down a charger: battery tender jr.

Day 2:
Brought battery into work, found someone with a multimeter and a battery tender jr. Used multimeter: battery is giving me a reading of about 12.2V.

On the tender:
I took the "Red +" and hooked it up to my + terminal.
I took the "Black -" cable and hooked it to my - terminal.
I took the "Black-" cable and grounded it (or think I grounded it at work).
Battery Tender Jr: flashing red either way.

According to their info: "http://batterytender.com/includes/langu ... Junior.pdf"
When the red light is flashing, the AC power is applied to the charger and the microprocessor circuitry is functioning properly. There is no battery connected or there is a problem with the connections between the charger and the battery.

My coworker, out of curiosity, switched the cables. The tender's RED+ to my batteries negative, the tender's BLACK- to my battery's positive. Oddly, the tender went from flashing to red..and after a minute or two, flashing green. (But...no "red" on...just green blinks). I smacked him and undid that.

My scooter is less than two years old and still under warranty. Stock battery is a Yuasa YTX9-BS. Less than two weeks ago I had a full-service done at the dealership. I'm not sure what I should do here....
Last edited by Edwub on Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Take the battery by your scooter shop and have them test it, If it's bad and is covered by the warranty they should replace it for you.

Don't hook up the charger backwards, it could damage the battery or the charger.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Take it to a Batteries Plus if you have one and have them do a load test. I have had batteries that showed fine on a multimeter and even would get a charge from a tender but failed immediately under load.

I don't know about the Blur but, the Buddy battery isn't warrantied for 2 years - its warranty is only one month.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

battery died on my BJ, too. almost 3 years old. i been kick starting it. its fun :)

my question is apart from OP's. i would just like to know, since we are talking batteries, if i charge the battery with a Tender Jr and it reads "full" is this a good charge? should the battery be reliable?
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

JHScoot wrote:battery died on my BJ, too. almost 3 years old. i been kick starting it. its fun :)

my question is apart from OP's. i would just like to know, since we are talking batteries, if i charge the battery with a Tender Jr and it reads "full" is this a good charge? should the battery be reliable?
Not necessarily. That's why I suggest doing a load test.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

good to know. i have an Interstate Battery shop a few miles away. i think i will take it there :)
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

JHScoot wrote:good to know. i have an Interstate Battery shop a few miles away. i think i will take it there :)
Good idea - it can show and hold a charge but then fail as soon as the starter needs it. They will be able to figure that out for you right away!
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

JHScoot wrote:battery died on my BJ, too. almost 3 years old. i been kick starting it. its fun :)

I can say that using Deltran Battery Tender Jr. will help keep your battery tip-top & will extend the life of any battery. I have 5 of them & use them for my 3 boat batteries on a float charge in the Winter months & of course the scooters. They are dirt cheap (under $25.00) & they are worth it.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Ok, update:
I have no idea what was going on with using the battery tender on the battery. But when I went to go put it back in, the lights would turn on, blinkers would work,etc. Still wouldn't start.

So I had it towed to a local shop.

They couldn't look at it on the day they got it. (I called 20 minutes before closing to see if they even received it from the tow truck.)
The day after...they were supposed to call me. They didn't. I called 15 minutes before closing but was told the techs were gone/busy.
I called back this morning.

They told me it was a "broken wire that connects to the battery." "This is the third Blur we've seen it on."

They fixed it, no charge. (He said it was pretty simple. I'm still under warranty, and I just had a full service two weeks ago so I'd have been very upset if I had to pay.) Then asked me to come pick it up as soon as possible. A little frustrating... they're open 10-6 on weekdays: I have work, and I can't make it there by 6. I have no transport, and the rush hour traffic is insane in this part of Los Angeles. I said I might need to wait til Saturday, and he didn't like that. Well, I don't like the lack of a call back <.<

That aside, yeah. I'm hoping to get more details when I go in person, and ask more specifically what's going on. I'll post on the Blur forum with more info when it's available. It might be something for people to watch out for?