Used 170i or New Cali Classic 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

weswaz

Used 170i or New Cali Classic 125

Post by weswaz »

Newbie here...

I've got a bug up my butt at age 40 to finally fulfill a bucket list item to own a scooter to cruise around town on the weekends. So as to not have the idea completely squashed by the wife, I was eyeing a new Cali Classic 125 for the quality at that price point. Pros: Styling, Price, Size (body width/long seat); Cons: Unproven Reputation, Power. I'm 6'3, 215 lbs... so fit and power are important factors.

So I dropped some hand me down jewelry off to be appraised which I was planning on selling (can't squash the dream honey if I've got the cash). While I waited for the appraisal, I took my wife to the scooter shop to get her opinion of the Cali Classic. There she discovered the Buddy 125 and fell in love... as in a scooter for herself.

Of course it immediately bugged me that she was willing to spend more on her impulse than than she would allow on my dream. Who was she kidding any ways... we don't have money for two scooters.

Then we picked up the jewelry and appraisal... Appraised at $6000.

So now we have our hopes up that we can buy two scooters (if I can sell the jewelry for half of what the jewelry is worth). She would get her new Buddy 125. I'm thinking of buying up to the 170i (Pros: Power, Styling, Reputation; Cons: Big Guy, Small Scooter... Looks funny) but a new model is probably still out of my price range. I found a used 2012 Pamplona for $2550 with 3500 miles on it. Registration expires in July. I rode it today... Seems fine, but I have nothing to compare it to.

That was a long story for a lead-in to my questions...

Is that a good price for a year old 170i with 3500 miles on it?

What maintenance expenses might I expect to incur within the next 2000 miles (brakes, tires, etc)?

Should I be concerned with my height/weight on either a 170i or Cali Classic (6'4"/125 lbs)? Is there something better in the $2500-$3000 OTD range (mew or used)?

Would the Genuine Warranty transfer with a change in ownership?

Any other thoughts?

Appreciate you valued feedback.
iamryan25

Re: Used 170i or New Cali Classic 125

Post by iamryan25 »

weswaz wrote:Newbie here...

I've got a bug up my butt at age 40 to finally fulfill a bucket list item to own a scooter to cruise around town on the weekends. So as to not have the idea completely squashed by the wife, I was eyeing a new Cali Classic 125 for the quality at that price point. Pros: Styling, Price, Size (body width/long seat); Cons: Unproven Reputation, Power. I'm 6'3, 215 lbs... so fit and power are important factors.

So I dropped some hand me down jewelry off to be appraised which I was planning on selling (can't squash the dream honey if I've got the cash). While I waited for the appraisal, I took my wife to the scooter shop to get her opinion of the Cali Classic. There she discovered the Buddy 125 and fell in love... as in a scooter for herself.

Of course it immediately bugged me that she was willing to spend more on her impulse than than she would allow on my dream. Who was she kidding any ways... we don't have money for two scooters.

Then we picked up the jewelry and appraisal... Appraised at $6000.

So now we have our hopes up that we can buy two scooters (if I can sell the jewelry for half of what the jewelry is worth). She would get her new Buddy 125. I'm thinking of buying up to the 170i (Pros: Power, Styling, Reputation; Cons: Big Guy, Small Scooter... Looks funny) but a new model is probably still out of my price range. I found a used 2012 Pamplona for $2550 with 3500 miles on it. Registration expires in July. I rode it today... Seems fine, but I have nothing to compare it to.

That was a long story for a lead-in to my questions...

Is that a good price for a year old 170i with 3500 miles on it?

What maintenance expenses might I expect to incur within the next 2000 miles (brakes, tires, etc)?

Should I be concerned with my height/weight on either a 170i or Cali Classic (6'4"/125 lbs)? Is there something better in the $2500-$3000 OTD range (mew or used)?

Would the Genuine Warranty transfer with a change in ownership?

Any other thoughts?

Appreciate you valued feedback.
That's an acceptable asking price for a used 170. You're looking at an oil change each 1,000 miles. You'll probably want to have your roller weights changed to sliders at around 5,000 miles. You're tall but you're not huge, that say's 6'4" 125 you must be a stick figure. Even if you were 225, the buddy's seat is flat enough for a cozy fit. The warranty won't transfer, but any warranty issues would have come up by now and usually people don't even need to use their warranty.

If you like it, get it, can't go wrong with a buddy. Plus, you can sell it for close to what you'll pay for it. Is it stock or does it include any accessories? Sounds like a good ride.

Also, check out your financing options through Sheffield Financial, they work with Genuine and have a promotion for 2.9% 36 months nothing down, might be worth it to go new with a warranty.

Anyways, keep us posted!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

You'll probably need a new rear tire @ 5,000 miles also.

Cheers. Red.
weswaz

Post by weswaz »

Lol... Yes a typo, 215 pounds, not 125.

Keep the opinions coming! I really appreciate it!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

And I may be forgetful and behind the times, but what is the Cali Classic? :? R
weswaz

Post by weswaz »

The Cali Classic is manufactured in China by SYM for Lance Motoraports. That's the way I understand it.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Kelley Blue Book puts a 2012 170i at $2420 and assumes less mileage for a 1-year old scooter. Such things do vary by area, but it wouldn't hurt to try and bargain down.

Regarding which to get, admittedly I'm biased, but I've read that the Cali Classic is a bit sluggish, while the 170i is quite powerful for its size. Also, per this review http://justgottascoot.com/cali125.htm the 5'8" review felt cramped on it, and his 5'6" wife only just had enough leg room, so it might be a bad fit for you. Of course, test-riding them for yourself will be the best indicator of what works for you.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

correct me if mistaken but is the 2012 'Pamp a 170i? because OP doesn't mention the price of a 170i. he says he rode a 2012 International that is $2550. is this a 170cc fuel injected model? i don't see 'em offered at the genuine site
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Go for the 170i, bargain any price on anything down if possible, nothing lost if
you cant get the price down. A lot to gain if you can. I am 6'1" and 185 lbs,
32" inseam and I cant say enough about my 170i so far as comfort and speed is concerned. A lot of bang for the buck!! :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:correct me if mistaken but is the 2012 'Pamp a 170i? because OP doesn't mention the price of a 170i. he says he rode a 2012 International that is $2550. is this a 170cc fuel injected model? i don't see 'em offered at the genuine site
The 170i and 50 are available in Pamplona and Italia color schemes. (The 125 is not.)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

weswaz wrote:Lol... Yes a typo, 215 pounds, not 125.

Keep the opinions coming! I really appreciate it!
Don't even think about the Cali Classic as resale value would be somewhere between slim and none. Yes, it's very rare for a scooterist to keep his/her bike forever so you've gotta be thinking down the road a bit. I'm a 170i owner so I'll be considered biased but of all the scooters I've owned since I got bit by this bug 6 years ago, my 170i is by far my favorite. Go for it!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Skipper said!!!!
weswaz

Post by weswaz »

Or... I just found a 150 Pamplona. It's a 2008 with only 850 miles on it. Asking $2300. It comes with Genuine wind shield and trunk. The 170i has no extras. Thoughts?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

That is a scoot with 850 miles on it but it is 5 years old. Not a bad buy but
check it out on Kelly Blue Book and ride it first. It has averaged 170 miles per year. Be sure it runs smoothly and that the carb is not clogged. Ask to see service papers.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

OK, checked KBB. Retail in excellent shape is $2020.00. Trade in value is
$1335.00. Determine whqt you are willing to pay based on these two prices.
Retail would or should be dealers price and include the scoot being checked out by the dealers shop. You are dealing with an individual, I assume. I would offer him $1650.00 and bargain from there. If he wont budge, walk away.
Money talks, BS walks. The BS in this case is in his barn stall, not yours.
I would look for a good 170i but that is just me. :wink:
weswaz

Post by weswaz »

JHScoot wrote:correct me if mistaken but is the 2012 'Pamp a 170i? because OP doesn't mention the price of a 170i. he says he rode a 2012 International that is $2550. is this a 170cc fuel injected model? i don't see 'em offered at the genuine site
This confused me too. The seller refers to it as a Pamplona. It is a 170i. The genuine site shows a 170i in the same color scheme as the Pamplona, but they don't refer to it as a Pamplona. However, in the link to the photo for the scooter the use both "Pamplona" and "170". http://www.genuinescooters.com/images/s ... ma_170.jpg
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

weswaz wrote:
This confused me too. The seller refers to it as a Pamplona. It is a 170i. The genuine site shows a 170i in the same color scheme as the Pamplona, but they don't refer to it as a Pamplona. However, in the link to the photo for the scooter the use both "Pamplona" and "170". http://www.genuinescooters.com/images/s ... ma_170.jpg
The "Pamplona" refers to the rasberry/tan colored scooter and yes it is now available in the 170i (along with the Series Italia, but not the blue two-tone St. Tropez)

Try and bargain but if it was well cared for, especially at the dealer, it sounds like a good buy.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I have a Cali Classic. It's been a very reliable and fun scooter to have, but I am 5' 8" and my knees sit above my hips when I ride it and it hurts after a while, which is why I got my Stella. For a guy your size, I think it will be terrible. I've never ridden or even say on a buddy though, so not sure how it will work for your size as I believe they have the same stand over height, but the Stella is much larger and would probably accommodate your frame well, :)
jonlink

Re: Used 170i or New Cali Classic 125

Post by jonlink »

weswaz wrote:Would the Genuine Warranty transfer with a change in ownership?

Any other thoughts?
The warranty is for the first owner only. No transfers.

The 170i is a fantastic scoot. The only problem mine had was a dead battery once it got too cold to ride more than my short commute. A spa day on a battery tender once a month fixed the battery issue during winter.