Bringing it home

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

The Ninja

Bringing it home

Post by The Ninja »

I pick up my Buddy 50 next Saturday. I am not sure how I am going to bring it home. I already need to have a friend bring me, but his car has even less room then mine. I am a bit worried about driving it home. It is roughly 8 miles through city streets.

How did other new riders get their Scooters home?
shark

Post by shark »

In the back of a ragged out funeral home flower van. One ragged Dodge Caravan.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Many dealers will deliver, often for free depending on how far they have to go.

I considered riding mine home but I'm really glad I didn't. If you're a new rider, driving it home through city traffic could be a very bad move.

Check with your dealer- even if they don't deliver they might have an idea. You could even pay one of the people who work there $20 to drive it home for you.
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Joe, nice tip. I might just do that. Let's see if they help me out. Once I get it home I feel safe riding it around my apartment and even to this huge church parking lot a mile down the road.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Except for when my wife bought her scooter a couple of months before I got my scoot, I hadn’t rode a 2 wheel motorized bike in over 10 years, and even then I just rode hers around the bloc. I fell in love with my Buddy at first site and purchased it then and there, the dealer had the scoot already prepped and just performed some simple checks and off I went.
It was scary for me because I also had to ride thru a congested area so I took it real slow at first. By the time I got to my home, about 12 miles away I felt comfortable riding again. But for sure it did take several months and many miles before I had confidence in riding in most situations.

So, why not just ride her home slowly?

That all said, I must point out, I am still careful riding and do not take anything for granted and assume most people never really see me when I’m on the road.

Good luck and be careful.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

The Ninja wrote:Joe, nice tip. I might just do that. Let's see if they help me out. Once I get it home I feel safe riding it around my apartment and even to this huge church parking lot a mile down the road.
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt... I wanted to get it home on streets that I know (my neighborhood) and parking lots. My dealer is farther away from yours and I would have a pretty long (over 30 minutes) ride home on US 1 which is a 3 lane each way highway with some of the worst drivers on the road! Luckily my dealer delivered for free so my Buddy didn't have to have a scared rider on her first journey out of the shop and instead rode in a van.

Good luck with it!
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I am going to call the dealer when I get home from traveling and see what they say. Worse come to worse I might be able to rent a truck or van.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

This is my dilemma too. I think they might be able to shove it into the back of my SUV or I'll beg a friend with a truck to come along.
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Lisa,
What type of SUV is it. It might fit. Get some tie-downs and secure it in the back with the seats out or folded down.

When do you get your scooter.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

I can try to bring it home in an old 1992 explorer or a 1998 GMC Envoy (think Jimmy). The seats fold down. I think the explorer is bigger.

Where do I get the tie downs??

If I get my act together, I could get it next weekend or the weekend after that. They had one last 2007 orange in stock which is what I'm leaning toward. If that sells before I get it, I might hold out for the 2008 models.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Lisa I wrote: Where do I get the tie downs??

Good info in this thread about transporting your scooter.

http://www.canyondancer.com/ <---- those are the tie downs that seem to be most recommended.
Last edited by jmazza on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellen

Post by ellen »

You can always get a UHaul van for about $19 a day, plus mileage. Not bad if the dealer isn't that far.

Budget and Enterprise rent pickup's, but unless you have a few strong people to lift it, you'll need a ramp.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I picked mine up in Phoenix, some 100 miles away and it rode home in the back seat of a Chrysler Sebring convertible with the top down. It looked appropriately dashing.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I wish I had a car big enough. It would make it so much easier. I think the back of my xA is long enough, but I doubt it is tall enough. Anyone know how high it is at it's highest point.
Valgal20

Home Depot

Post by Valgal20 »

I know home depot rents trucks- I bet they even rent low trailers with them. Dont know the cost- but there are Home Depots everywhere. Maybe even Lowes rents trucks.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

when I bought my 50, I just rode it home (about 7 miles) no problem.
I have the scoots!
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

There is a Home Depot close to me. Looking on their site it looks like they only rent if you buy something large from them. I am going to look into it though. Right now I am leaning towards a uhual.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Tie down straps can be purchased at most hardware stores or any of the major building stores (Home Depot, Menards, etc). I also saw them at our dealer, but were a bit higher in price and don't forget any motorcycle store too.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Slightly off topic, but please consider taking MSF Basic rider course. Lots of people here have done it, and it will apparently give you a good boost. (I am doing in the spring).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Um, what are you going to do with it when you get it home, stare at it? You're going to have to learn to ride it sooner or later!

I'm a total safety nazi and nag everyone to wear at least six layers of bubble wrap and a full-face and take MSF and all that, but you've got to start somewhere! Get your learner's permit and insurance the day before you go, read through Proficient Motorcycling one more time, go pick up the bike. Buy a helmet and gloves if you don't have em already, ask the dealer for a quick lesson, practice in the parking lot for a half-hour or an hour until you're comfortable, then follow whoever drove you there back home. If the weather's OK and it's daylight and you take it easy you're on a mellow-ish street, you'll be fine. Wear a sweatshirt that says "STUDENT DRIVER!" heh.

Being nervous is good, if you're not nervous, you're really in trouble. But don't be afraid! A lot of people a lot dumber than you ride scooters every day, me included! Take lessons, improve your riding skills, be safe, know your bike, but you can't learn if you don't try!

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Hay, you guys might all be scooter experts- but Im having mine delived to my house. Its only about 7 miles from the scooter dealership but since the closest thing to a scooter Iv been on is a bycycle- Im going to practice in my circle before I terrorize the rest of the community. Plus if I really suck at scooting and I crash- atleast there wont be cars around to laugh at and/or run over me. :whew:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Valgal20 wrote:Hay, you guys might all be scooter experts- but Im having mine delived to my house. Its only about 7 miles from the scooter dealership but since the closest thing to a scooter Iv been on is a bycycle- Im going to practice in my circle before I terrorize the rest of the community. Plus if I really suck at scooting and I crash- atleast there wont be cars around to laugh at and/or run over me. :whew:
I'm with you- I think it shows wisdom for new scooterists to want to have a method of getting the scooter home other than the inaugural ride! I know I'm glad I did it. Besides, there's something really cool about having the dealer van drive up and knowing your scoot is on it!
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

i would go along with just getting the courage to ride it home, especially if its all of 7 miles... did you buy it without even doing a test ride??? i guess i am just curious as to if you have ever ridden anything on 2 wheels before???? courage and safety go a long way....
Valgal20

Test drive

Post by Valgal20 »

I havent found anywhere in phoenix/mesa/tempe where they do Scooter test drives- everyone stopped doing it because it was too much of a liability-so all I do is got to the scooter dealership and sit on the scooters and ask them a million questions (they know me well). I dont think we have MSF classes- Iv looked- but there arent any. Im trying to find someone who would be willing to take me on a test ride (as a passenger).
As far as getting it delivered- I already told the guys at Scooter Invasion that I want to buy it (unseen) have it pre-decked out (trunk/rack) and I want them to put a giant bow on it! They agreed, its going to be like those Christmas commericals where the person looks out the window and sees a fancy car with a bow on it(except it will be a scooter)! Iv always wanted to be suprized like that!
:mrgreen:
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

wow thats to bad on the no test rides thing.... i've never heard of such a thing.... is that with all dealerships down in AZ or just the buddy dealerships??? i cant imagine anyone buying a scooter or motorcycle or car for that matter without being able to do a test drive first... thats to bad... i cant imagine thats a good thing for sales at the dealerships either...
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Yea, Iv asked around- All the scooter dealerships- and most of the motorcycle dealerships dont do test drives. And the only Safety driving classes I know of are through Harley davidson- they are $350, and you can only drive their Buel Blast motorcycles- I dont want to get confused with all that shifting! And I really dont have $350 lying around. The scooter shop is nice enough to let me "play" with their scooters- Im very good at taking them off their center stand, and backing them up, and sitting on them, and scooting them around the store. :wink: I already know what stuff Im going to add, and how Im going to decorate it- The only part I havent figured out- Is the driving bit. :?
rajron

Post by rajron »

If you don’t want to ride your scoot home just have one of the guys, from the shop you bought the scoot, ride it to your home, then either drive them back to the shop in a car or get him a taxi.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Hay! I want my Baby Blue's seat touched by no butt but my own! They have a trailer- they can deliver. I want to sit on the seat and feel the squeek of untouched vinyl! This is my first vehicle I've bought on my own, and the first NEW vehicle in the family!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yea - I hear you --- I have to share a cube at work.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Im sorry! It must be nice at the end of the day to get outside and ride home, feeling the wind whip through your- um- helmet!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Valgal20 wrote:Yea, Iv asked around- All the scooter dealerships- and most of the motorcycle dealerships dont do test drives. And the only Safety driving classes I know of are through Harley davidson- they are $350, and you can only drive their Buel Blast motorcycles- I dont want to get confused with all that shifting! And I really dont have $350 lying around. The scooter shop is nice enough to let me "play" with their scooters- Im very good at taking them off their center stand, and backing them up, and sitting on them, and scooting them around the store. :wink: I already know what stuff Im going to add, and how Im going to decorate it- The only part I havent figured out- Is the driving bit. :?
The class to take is the Basic Rider Course offered through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org). There are several in AZ:
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=AZ

Not only will they give you a thorough foundation in riding skills, upon completion you will also get a waiver for the riding test when it's time to get your license.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The classes at this website look to be $250, which is pretty typical:

http://www.azmrt.com/index.html

Take a class. If you have no moto experience, it's the best $250 you can spend. Doesn't matter what kind of bike you're riding, you'll get your money's worth.

As for whether to ride the new Bud home or not, do what you're comfortable with. Same goes for when you actually start riding; ride YOUR ride, don't get caught up in trying to keep up with someone else. Stay aware, ride your ride and practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I called a couple places, they dont do scooters- Do any of you AZ people know which one of these are "scooters allowed" classes?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Valgal20 wrote:I called a couple places, they dont do scooters- Do any of you AZ people know which one of these are "scooters allowed" classes?
Ah... Well, they do allow scooters at some, just depending on who administers it. You may want to call the state MSF office and ask if they know of any. A lot of people just take the class on the provided (small) motorcycles. It may seem a little intimidating, but it's not that difficult and the skills you learn definitely translate to scooter riding.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

It's much better taking the test on someone else's bike, why risk dropping your own? New riders always drop their bikes. It's so much better banging up the MSF bikes instead of your brand new scooter. In my experience, most MSF classes don't do scooters, they want you to learn everything. That's slowly changing but scooter testing is not universal.

Get it out of your system that way, you'll be glad you did if you wind up making a mistake (not saying you WILL, but it does happen on the practice range). It's also smart learning how to ride something a little more complex, it forces you to concentrate harder and gets you ready to ride anything.

To me, buying a bike before you really know if you like riding is a potentially bad idea. You could be wasting $3000. This is why I see so many scooters with 19 miles on the odo parked in my underground garage. If you spend the $250 before buying the bike you'll know for sure if you like riding or not and you'll pass that 19 mile mark the first day you own the scooter.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Well- Mr. poopcoloredbuddy, has kindly offered to scoot me around a parking lot, if I like that- then Im getting my Scooter! Im confident that I will like it- I like bycycling, going fast, being wary of traffic and such. I am a cautious driver- Im a signaling-fenatic (if in doubt-use your signal), and Im not like many Large Vehicle owners- I pretend as though people dont notice me (oddly enough, you would think driving a freaking huge van would make you visible-but it doesnt) Iv been waiting 6 months, Im prepared- Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots, Spray Paint, Stickers, Fabric.....
What is there not to like about scooters?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Valgal20 wrote:Well- Mr. poopcoloredbuddy, has kindly offered to scoot me around a parking lot, if I like that- then Im getting my Scooter! Im confident that I will like it- I like bycycling, going fast, being wary of traffic and such. I am a cautious driver- Im a signaling-fenatic (if in doubt-use your signal), and Im not like many Large Vehicle owners- I pretend as though people dont notice me (oddly enough, you would think driving a freaking huge van would make you visible-but it doesnt) Iv been waiting 6 months, Im prepared- Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots, Spray Paint, Stickers, Fabric.....
What is there not to like about scooters?
Sounds like a great deal! Here's to the power of modernbuddy.com! I can't imagine what's not to like about scooters either. I hate driving my car now. I also am like you while driving and I think that's been a help my first month scooting. It feels a bit more second nature to be extra observant. I still have my MSF course ahead of me and I also wanted to take it on my scooter but I'm planning on using their bikes for the very reason GT1000 mentioned.

One MSF course place here offers the MSF scooter course, which is about half the price of the Basic Rider Course, but as I've discovered it's not even half of the course the BRC is (4 hours compared to 18 ) so I'm going for the whole BRC, shifting and all, ha ha.

You know on the test drive subject, the dealers around here were not super willing to do a test drive but the one I bought from let me take it up and down the street. It was good to do it but since I only went about 50 yards in a straight line it didn't help a ton. But it also didn't take much to know I was going to love scooting!
HipCat

Post by HipCat »

I had someone who drives a motorcycle drive it home for me.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

My first ride on my Buddy was about an hour long ride from Ann Arbor to Detroit... FUN!
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Spoke to my Scooter dealer yesterday. He is willing yo deliver. He is bringing it to my home on Monday. I am so excited.

I go sign all the paperwork on Saturday and get some gear. I am going to drive it a bit as well for practice. Best of all my girlfriend is coming with me. She actually wants to ride it a bit. Let's see if she falls in love with it. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Ninja wrote:Best of all my girlfriend is coming with me. She actually wants to ride it a bit. Let's see if she falls in love with it. :)
I hope she's started saving up for one. She'll want her own before long!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Valgal20, what's the spray paint for?
ModBud #442
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

congrats! make sure to post pics :)
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I will have lots of photos. I am going to have a tough time waiting for them to deliver it. At least I get to drive it tomorrow.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

SPRAY PAINT IS FOR:
"My Little Pony"
Attachments
PonyJacket2.JPG
PonyJacket2.JPG (10.82 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
PonyHelmet2.JPG
PonyHelmet2.JPG (18.39 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
PonyBuddy2.JPG
PonyBuddy2.JPG (18.79 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

It's official. I am a Buddy owner. Just signed all the paperwork for a 2007 Red Buddy 50. My girlfriend and I went by the shop today. I signed all the paperwork and drove it around the shop. We put about 5 miles on it. It is going to be tough getting my own seat time in.

I now need to get some stuff to be fully prepared. Jacket, gloves and a cover are first on my list.

Photos when they drop it off Monday. It is going to be a long two days.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

The Ninja - Congrats on your new purchase!

ValGal - Love the pony idea! Very creative!
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Lisa, I may be wrong, but weren't you wondering how to get your new Scooter home once you buy it. Well my dealer is delivering it in an Explorer, so I am sure it will fit in that size SUV.
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

Yes, I was, and that is excellent information for me. I have an explorer that I can plan to use for bringing it home. Thanks for that bit of info. :)
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Lisa, not a problem. Anything I can do to be helpful. I am not sure what generation the Explorer is. I know the new ones are quite large comapred to the old ones.

Now I need to get gloves, jacket and a cover.