Two New Honda Scoots =]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Two New Honda Scoots =]

Post by JHScoot »

Maybe not news to some but hot off the internet presses nonetheless. One is not really a scooter, though it should be at 125cc. And the other is a 300cc scooter that should really be the other! Oh my Honda, you confuse me so :headache:

So anyway $3,000 for um...the little guy. And $5,500 for the "I think I'll take the Piaggio" other. Off the cuff, what do you guys think of these two?

Honda Forza 300

Honda Grom 125

Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

They both are interesting, the little guy looks like a wannabe dirt bike,
the big guy is OK but looks like a rehash styling wise. At that price I would
go Piaggio. Honda has 'neglected' the US Scooter market in the last 3-4 years
and evidently wants back in. Honda makes good products but so do other
scooter manufacturers. Just my humble opinion. :yawn:
Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

I think the Grom is a cool looking little bike. Here's some links on both.
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/urban-warri ... 06964.html

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/05/ ... announced/
Rippinyarn

Re: Two New Honda Scoots =]

Post by Rippinyarn »

JHScoot wrote:Maybe not news to some but hot off the internet presses nonetheless. One is not really a scooter, though it should be at 125cc. And the other is a 300cc scooter that should really be the other! Oh my Honda, you confuse me so :headache:

So anyway $3,000 for um...the little guy. And $5,500 for the "I think I'll take the Piaggio" other. Off the cuff, what do you guys think of these two?
Well $5,500 is almost the out the door for an LX150, so "I'll take the Honda." Never mind service network and parts, ya know :D

The little one is not the droid I'm looking for...
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
hal888

Post by hal888 »

Have they hit the U.S. market yet?

I like the Forza design better than the BV350.

The little one looks like a Tonka toy.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

A pal and I were discussing the mini bike, and how it will become the New Ruckus for the Bros around here. In a couple years you'll be able to pick them up used for a song, clean the carb, put in a new battery, and have fun :P.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Rippinyarn wrote:
JHScoot wrote:Maybe not news to some but hot off the internet presses nonetheless. One is not really a scooter, though it should be at 125cc. And the other is a 300cc scooter that should really be the other! Oh my Honda, you confuse me so :headache:

Well $5,500 is almost the out the door for an LX150, so "I'll take the Honda." Never mind service network and parts, ya know :D

The little one is not the droid I'm looking for...
Competes against the BV350 (only $100 more than the Forza but offers so much more) and not the LX150.

You would be surprised to how many Honda dealers even with their networks, avoid scooters like the plague and don't know crap about them.
Both sales and service.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Alexbv200 wrote:You would be surprised to how many Honda dealers even with their networks, avoid scooters like the plague and don't know crap about them. Both sales and service.
Well, I certainly wouldn't be surprised. Honda builds a good product and has a large dealer network. But, when it comes to knowledge or support of their scooter line - not so much. That is one thing I certainly have to say in favor of Vespa/Piaggio dealers. If they know anything at all, they know scooters :wink: .
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Alexbv200 wrote:You would be surprised to how many Honda dealers even with their networks, avoid scooters like the plague and don't know crap about them.
Both sales and service.
I'm very, very, sorry to say that has been my long experience. As in every other field, motorcycling has it share of dinosaur-brains. If you doubt it, read the comments under MotorcycleUSA's review of the CTX700. I've asked this before, but I'll ask again, when did motorcyclists become a bunch of whiny babies who carp about innovative new products? :roll:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote: I've asked this before, but I'll ask again, when did motorcyclists become a bunch of whiny babies who carp about innovative new products?
Hey now :wink: . I'm a motorcyclist - one who rides motorcycles. Now, if you mean to say that motorcycle dealers and the motorcycle press don't know, or care, shinola about scooters - there I will agree with you.
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

Hmmm...

I've been thinking about a TW200 for a while. I'm a short guy at 5'6" and that Grom might merit a look. I live in a relatively small town and that thing looks like it would be fun to bomb around on.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:
jrsjr wrote: I've asked this before, but I'll ask again, when did motorcyclists become a bunch of whiny babies who carp about innovative new products?
Hey now :wink: . I'm a motorcyclist - one who rides motorcycles.
Me, too. I have been for 35 years. That's why I'm so disgusted by the stuff "motorcyclists" are saying about the CTX700. :?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

you know how some motorcyclists tell scooterists "why not just get a motorcycle?" well looking at this video makes me think we scooterists now have a motorcycle to point at and say "why not just get a scooter?"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SOwGdUBjupE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i just want to rant as a practical day to day urban scooter rider it ticks me off a little that Honda would bring this stupid little bike to the U.S. and promote it this way. oh...exciting little motorcycle! meanwhile their scooter line up, while quality and competent, is not exactly sporting or.....fun inspiring

oh, but this LITTLE bike? you can just gear up sexy and ride around warehouse pillars with it while the pretty girls scream!

meh
Riding is riding
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

JHScoot wrote:i just want to rant as a practical day to day urban scooter rider it ticks me off a little that Honda would bring this stupid little bike to the U.S. and promote it this way. oh...exciting little motorcycle! meanwhile their scooter line up, while quality and competent, is not exactly sporting or.....fun inspiring

oh, but this LITTLE bike? you can just gear up sexy and ride around warehouse pillars with it while the pretty girls scream!

meh
Would this bike hurt their scooter sales??
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JHScoot wrote:meanwhile their scooter line up, while quality and competent, is not exactly sporting or.....fun inspiring
I will readily agree that Honda's present scooter lineup does not excite ME. On the other hand, Honda has covered the ground with new motorcycle models in the 500cc and 700cc range that just about any serious rider would find interesting. The new CTX700 with DCT and ABS hits the street in a couple months. Shows you where their priorities lie.
Attachments
Honda-CTX (Medium).jpg
Honda-CTX (Medium).jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

The bottom line is that dealers and their shops are only going to concentrate on what pays the bills. For the most part that means bikes as opposed to scooters. This is especially true where I am - except for a small number of enthusiasts there is no "scooter culture" to speak of. That's the primary reason why I stick with quality builds (Honda, Genuine, etc). I do all my own wrenching and having a reliable parts network (in the face of an unreliable support network) is priority #1.

The Forza: I like it from a "looks" standpoint (sorta like a slightly beefed-up Reflex). I'm partial to sloped footboards and center tunnels and find the appearance quite pleasing.

As a side note, and in further support of my "no scooter culture" statement, I just had one of the ladies at work refer to my Helix as a "Vespa". Mind you, she wasn't just using "Vespa" as a generic scooter reference - she honestly thought that all scooters were made by Vespa.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I realy do not like this Grom promotional vid. this is a set-up to get a lot of kids killed doing this shit on the streets. in baltimore we already have dirt bike riding probem . honda absolutely needs to come up with another promo. :x :x
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Stormswift wrote:I realy do not like this Grom promotional vid. this is a set-up to get a lot of kids killed doing this shit on the streets. in baltimore we already have dirt bike riding probem . honda absolutely needs to come up with another promo. :x :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GGnHDtXUx4
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

I realy do not like this Grom promotional vid. this is a set-up to get a lot of kids killed doing this shit on the streets. in baltimore we already have dirt bike riding probem . honda absolutely needs to come up with another promo.
Agreed on the promo, but I do like the concept and looks of the Grom.
For the price however, I'd rather get a gently used Rebel as an "entry level" motorcycle.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i bet a Buddy would smoke the Grom all over city streets. pretty sure :twisted:
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Buddy eats Grom's for lunch :!:
Riding is riding
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Stormswift and jhscoot. What they said!!! :clap:
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

That ad is marketing to High School teens.

Exciting stunt riding, hipster looking 20 somethings, NYC abandoned warehouse setting.

Actual hipsters are too busy destroying 70's bikes.
Serious stunt riders come from dirt, not street backgrounds. (you just don't learn that kind of control, on pavement)
Abandoned / empty warehouses are never that clean. As free shelter they are usually littered with the detritus of the homeless.

Give me a Madass anyday over this.

-old man duo

Edit: It will be nice to see the Forza finally come to the US.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I do like the look of the Forza 300. I had a Yamaha Majesty a while back which looks similar and it was a nice bike....lots of power and lots of storage.

But I've finally decided I just want scooters that look like classic scooters...well, quasi....my Scarabeo looks like a bigger modern Vespa.... :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I just don't get the Grom....

Is it supposed to compete with the SYM Wolf 150?

I would say make the Grom a little larger and put in a 200cc engine, and then I could see myself salivating.

Otherwise... I just don't get it....
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RoaringTodd wrote:I just don't get the Grom....
The Grom is just an updated take on the classic monkeybike that was insanely popular back in the day. Do a search on "monkeybike" and you will get a ton of hits that look like the below. It had a 50cc 4T motor and was a great pitbike, camper, etc. Honda are just trying out the idea of making a modern monkeybike that looks like a Ducati Monster and has a large enough motor to do more than ride around campsites. With the Grom (and the CTX700) Honda is trying several different approaches to getting some fresh blood into the sport of riding. I have to say that I'm encouraged by the fact that they are paying any attention to the moribund US motorcycle market and I hope (naff advertising video campaign aside) that they succeed. :D

Last edited by jrsjr on Thu May 16, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Must have Grom!
"Life without music would Bb"
amyrob56

monkey bike?

Post by amyrob56 »

Keys wrote:Must have Grom!
We had a sweet Honda sl70.... OMG! :fp: that was 37 years ago ...
Nevermind.....
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm pretty sure I see some Grom voodoo in your future. :twisted: If I understand correctly, there are already plenty of hot-rodding parts available for that motor. It shouldn't be too hard to find a 175 kit. I'm really looking forward to seeing one.
Keys

Post by Keys »

And I DO realize it's not faster than a Buddy, or practical in any sense of the word. I just see the GF (grin factor) being HUGE!!!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Must have Grom. Must have CB500X. Must have CTX 700. Must have vintage Vespa Rally. Must have winning lottery ticket!...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Keys wrote:Must have Grom. Must have CB500X. Must have CTX 700. Must have vintage Vespa Rally. Must have winning lottery ticket!...
:wink: Now, if you would just share enough of those winnings with me so I could get a CTX700 as well - I promise to ride with you!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I find the name kinda dumb, as it's a slang term for young, inxeperienced surfers/skaters. Might be that Honda considers them to be their target market. At least they didn't call it the N00B.

That said, I'd buy one. But I'd be peeling the labels off immediately and applying the Asian-market MSX125 badging. I'm a bit too old to be riding a newbie bike. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Maybe they should have named it Squid! I love this little thing. It is not freeway legal, weighs next to nothing and just looks like fun! I even like the ad. I can wheelie the Stella but it is clearly not made for it and the Triumph gets going pretty fast when you twist the throttle. The idea of racing these on a go kart track and then riding it on the street is genius. Unfortunately in a country that claims Miatas come with ovaries, very few people will have the emotional security to be seen on one. Kind of like scooters. I don't see it as a big seller. I hope I'm wrong.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I was a conference yesterday, and upon walking through the door late last night after a long day of talking with strangers about work crap, the boyfriend walks up to me with the iPad open to a picture of the Grom (in Honda red).

Oh my, swoon. What fun. For those who don't get it, or say, just get a scooter, this thing is not about practical transportation (in the US). It's about cheap, stupid, baby super-moto fun with the guys. Guys who wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter (like the guys in the MSF classes I teach...when they ask what I rode to class and I reply, 'one of my scooters', I lose them). Guys who watch videos on YouTube and want to be stunterz but don't have the money.

And the video is terrific. The riders are geared up, including a full face (which a lot of folks on this board don't bother with) and gloves (which a lot of riders don't bother with), boots, jacket, and I can't tell about the armoured pants. It's obvious it's a closed course. While yes, we all would LOVE to ride down a staircase, we know it's not very likely to happen except on a closed course (not that I would know the exact staircase I would do this on :)

As someone who lives in a neighborhood with a "dirt bike riding problem" as Stormswift wrote, I think the video makes it clear it's a closed track.

And finally, I'd much rather a new rider get one of these to goof about on and learn slow speed skills (crucial to a lot of the stuff in the video) than a 600/650 or, horror of horrors, a liter plus bike.

I wouldn't buy one as I've got KTM lust (although I've read that Husqvarna is going to bring out a new sumo next year), but they're a great, great, great starter.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

RoaringTodd wrote:I just don't get the Grom....

Is it supposed to compete with the SYM Wolf 150?

I would say make the Grom a little larger and put in a 200cc engine, and then I could see myself salivating.

Otherwise... I just don't get it....
They already have that. It's called a ninja 250r. They are cheap and plentiful.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

olhogrider wrote: .....Unfortunately in a country that claims Miatas come with ovaries, very few people will have the emotional security to be seen on one.....
siobhan wrote:
...... For those who don't get it, or say, just get a scooter, this thing is not about practical transportation (in the US). It's about cheap, stupid, baby super-moto fun with the guys. Guys who wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter..... .
doh! :headache:

one more time.....just man up and get a scooter :P

and who said scooters aren't as much fun to ride as this freak of nature? who said!?

someone said, i know it :cry:
Riding is riding
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

and who said scooters aren't as much fun to ride as this freak of nature? who said!?

someone said, i know it :cry:[/quote]

Scooters are fun. I have one and have owned several. I also have a motorcycle and have tons of fun with that. This thing just looks like fun! There is nothing like it on the market today. I applaud Honda for their original thinking. :clap:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

alright i gotta admit its kinda cool at least
Riding is riding
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

olhogrider wrote: I applaud Honda for their original thinking. :clap:
I applaud Honda for not forgetting their roots. Now if they bring the Cross Cub 110 over, that'd be something! 8)
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yeah i hear Ford is bringing this back, too

yay for "roots"

:P
Riding is riding
phatch

Post by phatch »

skully93 wrote:A pal and I were discussing the mini bike, and how it will become the New Ruckus for the Bros around here. In a couple years you'll be able to pick them up used for a song, clean the carb, put in a new battery, and have fun :P.
Grom has no carb!! Little sucker's FI!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I give up... OP is an a$$
Last edited by siobhan on Sun May 19, 2013 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sumo??? You are referring to the Japanese electric scooter, top speed 93 mph, rad body design??? :wink:
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Since the Grom has a 4 speed manual transmission and is chain driven, there are a ton of performance possibilities. Between regearing the trans and different sprockets, you could make it a wheelie machine or capable of 80+MPH. There are already upgrade kits available in Japan up to 200cc, which could easily make this little guy viable on short highway excursions.

With front and rear disc brakes and 12 inch wheels, it is probably one of the best urban assault vehicles conceivable. Once they have been out for a year or two here in the US and stateside aftermarket parts availability improves, I can't imagine that I won't have one.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

siobhan wrote:
JHScoot wrote: doh! :headache:

someone said, i know it :cry:
you've obviously never ridden a sumo :P
let's hope not!

and for the newbies here, take everything this MB member says with a big grain of salt. of course she likes this tiny motorcycle. the woman has never met a bike she doesn't like, and she has rode more then Madonna has men. and thats a lot of bikes!

in fact if bikes were men she wouldn't be married, she'd be Mae West. never met a bike she did not like, this one. oh yeah, she gets around. even this little loser bike gets a fair shot with her :lol:

don't make me go to the photographic evidence :P
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

thats a lot of smileys up there

i think Admin Eric will like this bike. i think i have seen him post of his like for this sort of bike
Riding is riding
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I actually think the Grom is kind of fun looking. That little sucker will probably take all kinds of abuse. As far as the 300, it's looks are not for me, However, while not as pretty as a paiggio, it will probably be a more solid and long lasting ride.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

It has you written all over it!