Buddy or Yamaha/Honda?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

McBoingBoing

Buddy or Yamaha/Honda?

Post by McBoingBoing »

I am looking to buy my first scooter. I am conflicted on the Buddy. I really want a pink one and the dealer by my home has one. But, I really do not want to put out over $2k only to have it turn into some expensive trash I got to throw away.

Is the Buddy quality really on par with Honda or Yamaha?

And is there really that much difference between the 50cc and the 150cc? I had thought that I would by the 150cc just for resale (just in case).

Any advice appreciated.

:oops:
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

I have had only a few sccoters so far - a Buddy 50, a Buddy 125, and a Vino 50. I think the Yamaha fit and finish was better, but I have no regrets for the Buddy. As you will see checking around, there really are no complaints of the Buddy scooters. People will say that Kymco is the Toyota of scooters (reliable but soulless), think of Buddy as the Mazda - zoom zoom. Fun and good quality.

Don't hesitate to get a Buddy based on quality - PGO, who is the manufacturer, has been making scooters for decades.

If you plan on riding a lot, I would say that the 125 or 150 is worth the effort of getting your motorcycle license to get the extra oomph to be able to ride with traffic - the 125 is no problemo, the 50 is please be patient with me while I go up the hill.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
JNV

Buddy vs. Honda / Yamaha

Post by JNV »

I think the Buddy engine is very solid. Several people on this board have already posted high mileage on their buddys with no or minimal work done to it. As far as the overall fit and finish; Honda and Yamaha have slightly better finish as far as paint, the way the panels fit together and little things like that. We chose a Buddy over a Yamaha Vino 125 and we are very happy with our Buddy. I can tell you it will out perform the Yamaha Vino and probably be on par with most 150cc scooters. So the Buddy is a good buy.
As far as 125 vs 50cc that will depend pn your commute. Even if you do not need the extra speed the 125 is nice to have for extra power, plus it might be easier to sell later on.
shark

Post by shark »

The 125 Buddy just flat smokes the Vino's butt!! :D
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I will take this from the 50cc camp. I first looked at the Metro. If it was based on looks alone I would have gone with the Metro. Here is why I went with the Buddy.
1. Quicker off the line
2. I like the color or the Buddy better.
3. It was a tad cheaper

Reliability is equal from everything I have seen.

Where is the Metro made. Buddy is Taiwan right?
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Of course you will here alot of positive advice being the web site you are on. My wife and I bought 2 Buddy 125's mine is red and hers is Pink. The Pink really catches peoples eyes and in a good way, and it is good to be seen. We have not owned any other scooter, but we have ridden with others. The Yamaha Vino 125 is truly a great scooter, but is slower and the person we ride with only gets mid to upper 70's mph, we get mid to upper 90's. That doesn't happen with a poor motor. Also I believe the Buddy carries more fuel too. PGO for about 10yrs or more also manufactured parts for Vespa's (the cadilac of scooter) so quality is great. I would not buy anything smaller than 125cc as I feel the 50cc is more dangerous because the extra horsepower may get you out of trouble. Welcome to the forum and I know you will enjoy a scooter not matter what you buy. Pink is a cool scooter color.
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

Dibber wrote:...the person we ride with only gets mid to upper 70's mph, we get mid to upper 90's....
You're getting up 90's mph????? How???? :lol:
Have a great day!

Mike
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dibber wrote: I would not buy anything smaller than 125cc
Except maybe forthe Rattler buck 10!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Ya, if I run it on straight Jack Daniels...just kidding. That was a typo I meant MPG (miles per gallon) not mph.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Dibber wrote: I would not buy anything smaller than 125cc
Except maybe forthe Rattler buck 10!

If the streets you will be on don't exceed 45 mph, a 50 is fine. The buddy 50 can ride at that speed with no problem ( unless there's big hills, and or a passenger). I used to ride an r6 ( crotch rocket) and I can tell you, extra horsepower does not help you get out of danger. Brakes and manuvering does that. Take the MSF course.
I have the scoots!
mattgordon

Re: Buddy or Yamaha/Honda?

Post by mattgordon »

McBoingBoing wrote:I am looking to buy my first scooter. I am conflicted on the Buddy. I really want a pink one and the dealer by my home has one. But, I really do not want to put out over $2k only to have it turn into some expensive trash I got to throw away.

Is the Buddy quality really on par with Honda or Yamaha?

And is there really that much difference between the 50cc and the 150cc? I had thought that I would by the 150cc just for resale (just in case).

Any advice appreciated.

:oops:
The Buddy's standard 2 year warranty should tell the rest of the story. Twice the warranty of most, more expensive scooters! It's a fine machine for the money, and Genuine is a first-rate company.
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

I just bought a Buddy after test driving the Buddy, the Vino 125, a Honda 80 and a Honda 250. I couldn't go with the 250 for various reasons - so that was just for comparison - and the Buddy 125 will work wonderful for me.

The 80 or a 50 was not considered after testing the 80 - cost would have been pretty equal, but the Buddy was hands down better.

Personally, I wasn't sold on the Vino. And even though I have a Yamaha dealer near me (and no Buddy dealer close) - I wouldn't have trusted this dealer, either.

You need to really test them for yourself. Me, the Buddy sold itself on the first run.
Beth
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Bethers wrote: I have a Yamaha dealer near me (and no Buddy dealer close) -.
"Bout the only reasion I'm thinking about a Vino, and I can get a gently used one for $1600......

I have a 50cc Honda, like it, love the looks, etc, etc, but it has no pulling power on the hills here in centeral Pa. which really aren't anything to speak of, and I only weigh about 150 lbs!
Bethers

Post by Bethers »

I don't know how far you are from Philly - but the Buddy dealer there is supposed to be outstanding.
Beth
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, McBoingBoing: Welcome to the forum!
Of course you're going to get a lot of votes for the Buddy here. :)
My wife had just gotten curious about the scooters when I took her to see the Buddy. She sat on a pink one and immediately fell in scooter love.

There are a lot of bad scooters out there these days, mostly no-name cheap imports manufactured on mainland China. The Buddy is made by PGO in Taiwan, and though that may sound like a minor distinction, it's an important one. The quality is much better than most of its other, non-Japanese Asian competitors.

As has been said, the "fit and finish" of the Japanese scoots is somewhat better than a Buddys. In terms of performance, the Buddy really excels. Aside from speed, it handles very well. Mechanically, the Buddys are very sound and have few problems when well-maintained.

The Hondas and Yamahas are good scoots, though. I highly recommend going to the dealers and sitting on each one to see how they feel. If yo9u have your permit and can test ride them, even better. I'd also recommend looking at the Kymco People 125 if there's a dealer near you.

Yeah, we love the Buddy here, but I don't think that one scoot fits all. If those are your options, you won't get a bad scooter. It's just a matter of finding the right one.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
davev

Post by davev »

I started looking at scooters after I saw a Stella. I thought it was a great looking scooter.
Then I found out it had a shift. I just didn't want to run through gears anymore. (I had motorcycles at the time)
So I saw the Buddy, took it for a test drive, but it just felt to small for me. (I'm 6'3)
I looked at a few others scoots, but they were either more than what I wanted to pay, to small, or to small of a motor.
So I started looking on Craig's list for scooters and found a 20 year old Honda Elite 250 for $1500.
I test drove it, then I drove it home.

I have had Honda motorcycles, and now a scooter. Both have been reliable, and when I needed a part, they were easy to get.

That's my story, but I still like coming here to read what's going on in the scooter world.
dave
HipCat

Post by HipCat »

I am by no means a scooter expert. However, only the Buddy gave me enough room for my legs. When I sat on the Yamaha, my knees hit the front. I knew that would drive me crazy.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Bethers wrote:I don't know how far you are from Philly - but the Buddy dealer there is supposed to be outstanding.
It's true! Philadelphia Scooters rules. :D
ModBud #442
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

McBoingBoing wrote:But, I really do not want to put out over $2k only to have it turn into some expensive trash I got to throw away.
I totally understand where you are coming from. You don't want to end up like those folks who paid $1795 for the Chinese-made scooter of their dreams only to end up with a scooter with 132 miles on it and which is a dead and worthless piece of junk hidden under a tarp in their back yard, right?

So, okay, first, the Buddy is made in Taiwan (not China) by a real scooter company called PGO which has been making scooters for a long time. Second, the Buddy scooter is not perfect, but it's very very good. A lot of Buddy owners have come through here and we have yet to hear of a systemic problem with the Buddy. Third, the Buddy is not perfect, so a few have had problems, which is why you will appreciate having a real dealer (the one you have is supposed to be great) who will take care of you so that your Buddy will never, ever end up being a dead and worthless piece of junk hidden under a tarp in your back yard.

As a bonus, from what we've seen, the market for used Buddys is fairly brisk, so even if you decide to sell it, you will be able to recoup a significant portion of your investment.
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thepezident

Post by thepezident »

Speaking of Philly dealers...I'd like to also include MPG Motors just north of Philly as being kick @ss...

:D
Patience comes to those who wait
Just_Jess

Post by Just_Jess »

I was looking at scooters for months. I loved the look of the Metropolitan. I even had a good deal lined up, but I wanted something with more power. I choose the Italia series of the Buddy. It's so cute I always get compliments on it. It makes it up the hills with out an effort and the white walled tires are way cute. The Vino is nice too. My coworker has one of those. I rode it around the other day and my Buddy was definitely faster. But choose what you like. I went to the dealership and absolutely fell in love with my scooter. I knew that's the one I wanted. I rode it off the lot the day I bought it. To me the 2 year warranty and 1 year road side assistance are worth the extra money.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

polianarchy wrote:
Bethers wrote:I don't know how far you are from Philly - but the Buddy dealer there is supposed to be outstanding.
It's true! Philadelphia Scooters rules. :D
I'm near Harrisburg, about 2-2 1/2 hours away....... a dealer in Maryland, not sure exactly where, is about 90 mins away........ Guess I might be picking up that used Vino soon.
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

[quote="McBoingBoing"]
Any advice appreciated.

buy the buddy, MBBoing.. just because this group not only is HOT, ... it also ROCKS..
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

another thing to consider is the dealerships-

i always hear people defending Honda and Yamaha saying how great the dealer network and parts availability is...blah,blah, blah.

i ride a Malaguti that is powered by a Minarelli engine, since Yamaha has used this engine in some of their bikes i should be able to whip into any Yamaha scooter dealer to get parts- not!

every time ive gone in (tried many different dealers) for a simple part it's never in stock and have almost zero knowledge of scooters at all (besides what the sales brochure says). i just end up leaving empty handed due to lack of faith in the service/parts dept. if i walk into a scooter shop and say i need a part for an AM6 engine- they know exactly what im talking about, say the same thing at a Yamaha dealer- they look at me like i have lobsters crawling out of my ears.

a major plus of buying a Buddy would be that you're buying from a scooter dealer who should know the product. i can't say that all Genuine dealers are great, but over the years ive had a far better experience dealing with scooter shops as opposed to motorcycle/atv dealers.

'08 Tomos Nitro
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

One more thing if you are comparing a vino 50 to a buddy 50 - the vino is a little easier to get on and ride, and it turns more easily. The buddy 50 however has MUCH better brakes (front disk vs. front drum on the vino 50), and a better suspension, and a more comfy seat. If you are really short, you might find the vino 50 a little closer to the ground, but the buddy for me (5'10" and 160lbs) is the more comfy and smoother ride and overall better handling.

I cannot comment on the vino 125 for handling and brakes, but I can also say that the buddy 125 is like the 50 for handling ride and brakes, only better overall in each category.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I agree with Golfinguy. My mom has a vino 50 and I have a buddy 125. The suspension on the vino is pretty soft and the front end dips when breaking hard. I am also not a fan of the seat on the Vino, but that’s personal preference I guess. Derestriceted I can only get the Vino up to 35ish on the speedometer, probably closer to 30mph in real life due to speedometer error.