Your 1st Scooter, what was it like for you....?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CTB170i

Your 1st Scooter, what was it like for you....?

Post by CTB170i »

I've been a lurker... Learning and making a decision on purchasing a Genuine Buddy 170i... Well, it's on order...

I thought I would ask what it was like for you all, did time literally come to a crawl, did you get excited, then get scared thinking of the worst (yeah, I read who crashed topic)...

But, probably the most important question:

What would you do differently in learning how to ride your first scooter...?

Thanks for sharing...

As for me, when i was 17, I've ridden dirt bikes (unlicensed) on trails in the back woods of northern NJ... Now, a 50 year old cyclist who loves doing fundraiser century rides throughout San Diego and Orange counties...

Future Buddy 170i owner.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Experienced motorcycle riders often find the 10" wheel scooter steering geometry a bit "twitchy" . . which is why the criteria for your next scooter may include at least 12" wheels.

Consider $10 Bracken knee pads from Lowes garden department, and a $2 silicone pot holder seat pad from Family Dollar.

DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Congrats on the 170!!!!!!!

I've owned my 150 for about 2 months, passed my MSF class last month, but I just got my "M" on my license on Tuesday due to a spelling error in my name. It has been the longest 2 months of my life!

The only good thing about the wait is I had the time to upgrade things like the lights and get the crash bars.

I try not to think of the worst. The money for my scooter came from a car accident settlement so I know I can easily get messed up while in a cage as I can on a scooter. I just have to take the right precautions no matter what vehicle I'm operating.

Can't say if I would learn differently I'm a brand new rider and the furthest I've taken my Buddy is around the block. (My husband has the garage packed and it is stuck behind all his motorcycles right now...he has been warned that not freeing it by tomorrow will be hazardous to his health.)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Similar thread here, with some good stories, including mine, heh.

topic22316.html
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
skipper20

Re: Your 1st Scooter, what was it like for you....?

Post by skipper20 »

CTB170i wrote:I've been a lurker... Learning and making a decision on purchasing a Genuine Buddy 170i... Well, it's on order...

I thought I would ask what it was like for you all, did time literally come to a crawl, did you get excited, then get scared thinking of the worst (yeah, I read who crashed topic)...

Thanks for sharing...

As for me, when i was 17, I've ridden dirt bikes (unlicensed) on trails in the back woods of northern NJ... Now, a 50 year old cyclist who loves doing fundraiser century rides throughout San Diego and Orange counties...

Future Buddy 170i owner.
I would have taken the MSF course as when I finally did take it I had to unlearn some bad habits I had picked up by trying to do it on my own. BTW, congrats on the 170i. You couldn't have made a better choice.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
JHScoot

Re: Your 1st Scooter, what was it like for you....?

Post by JHScoot »

CTB170i wrote: .....I thought I would ask what it was like for you all, did time literally come to a crawl, did you get excited, then get scared thinking of the worst (yeah, I read who crashed topic)...

Thanks for sharing...
you know its been just 2 years and 9 months but i really don't remember exactly what it was like. i was nervous and excited, i suppose. i had 300 miles of riding under my belt from riding a scooter not my own and thats all it took to want my own. so i got one

i rode it home 24 miles in city traffic. i had to stop halfway through because the ride was so LONG. lol. it was a BIG DEAL for me that first day

nearly 20,000 miles later and i just ride. what would i change? nothing, really. i started out slow in parking lots and side streets and practiced and got my M and now i ride. wouldn't change a thing :D

i am nearly your age btw. never rode anything two wheeled before beyond a bicycle 25 years before
Riding is riding
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I was Indifferent. I went to NOHO Scooters and wanted a Stella and walked out with a Buddy 170I. Got home and jumped in with "both feet" despite never riding a 2 wheeler. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it and then 2 years later I bought a Stella. It too, wasn't hard to get the shifting down but I like the 170I better as it's faster and more nimble. Still never crashed and I hope I never will....I started riding slow around the block and gradually going further and further. A week after I got the scoot I took the MSF and passed. Hated their 250cc though....
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I can't really think of anything I'd do different except for wasting money on a 3/4 helmet. I wish I would have bought my full face (modular) right off the bat. :roll:

Edited to remove the crap noone wanted to read anyhow. ;)
Last edited by michelle_7728 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Syd

Post by Syd »

What would I do different? I would have skipped the $1000 Schwinn Campus and gone straight to my second scoot. It did serve a purpose though; it showed me that I wouldn't buy a scoot and not ride it, so the Cheap China Scoot wasn't a total waste.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Keys

Post by Keys »

My first scooter was a 1963 Vespa V90. I loved it and wish I'd never gotten rid of it, but it was an experience that is probably totally irrelevant to you.
"Life without music would Bb"
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

My first was a Blur.

Early that morning, my Mother gave me the talk and a copy of "What Every Rider Should Know" (written by Margaret Sanger's twin brother, Righteous).

Afterwards, I just cried and cried.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I started out on a 2007 Diamo Retro 150. It was a two-tone cream and blue color Chinese scooter with a 2 year warranty. It was on the floor next to a sunset orange buddy 125.

I am a ginger with freckles galore, and couldn't fancy myself on the orange buddy. With the money burning a whole in my pocket, I bought me a China special.

At 8 miles I decided to attempt a slow skid in a gravel parking lot. Oops, I ended up slow crashing it. Damn it.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have tried the slow skid.

I also would have gone with a buddy.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

iamryan25 wrote:I started out on a 2007 Diamo Retro 150. It was a two-tone cream and blue color Chinese scooter with a 2 year warranty.
We have a local with the same bike. It's been decent bike for her, but it was hard-pressed to exceed 47mph and the brittle body doesn't make it easy to take apart for servicing. She finally upgraded to a Buddy last week.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

charlie55 wrote:My first was a Blur.

Early that morning, my Mother gave me the talk and a copy of "What Every Rider Should Know" (written by Margaret Sanger's twin brother, Righteous).

Afterwards, I just cried and cried.
:rofl:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

az_slynch wrote:
iamryan25 wrote:I started out on a 2007 Diamo Retro 150. It was a two-tone cream and blue color Chinese scooter with a 2 year warranty.
We have a local with the same bike. It's been decent bike for her, but it was hard-pressed to exceed 47mph and the brittle body doesn't make it easy to take apart for servicing. She finally upgraded to a Buddy last week.
They're not awful, and they look unique enough. It is a pain in the rump when it comes to repair, you're correct on that one.

The buddy is an excellent upgrade, night and day difference.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

My first was an '09 Yamaha Zuma 50cc. Good little bike. I put new tires on it, and while it was being worked on I test drove a Buddy150.....oops.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

First ride was a 1970 CT-90. Hey, it's a step-thru at least!

My first 'real' scooter was a Yama Riva 125 back around 1990. Not bad, but I didn't know much about maintenance back then, and perpetually gummed-up the carb, but it got me used to small wheels. Didn't ride for a long time, but then bought the Buddy 150 in 2011.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
CTB170i

Post by CTB170i »

[quote="tortoise"]Experienced motorcycle riders often find the 10" wheel scooter steering geometry a bit "twitchy" . . which is why the criteria for your next scooter may include at least 12" wheels.

Consider $10 Bracken knee pads from Lowes garden department, and a $2 silicone pot holder seat pad from Family Dollar.

Thanks…! I can understand the need for the Knee Pads…

Silicone pot holder??? Is that to keep from slipping off the seat or for hot days…?

I figure the smaller wheel will be a change, but I'm also not planning on going too 50+ fast… It will probably get some getting use too…
CTB170i

Post by CTB170i »

Thanks everyone for sharing…

The new scooter should be arriving later this week, just in time for the long weekend…

I do have my permit, as I passed the CA Motorcycle DMV written test.

Insurance is ready, I just need the VIN number. Yes, I added under/uninsured coverage as well as medical payments…

I do plan on taking the MSF BRC class, but want to confirm I can use my scooter for the riding exercises…

Thanks again for sharing….
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i would just like to add i am still with my first scooter, fwiw. its helped define what a scooter is for me in my journey through bikes

my second scooter is the Blackjack. not rode as much and i am kicking it to start recently, i feel i neglect it sometimes. i will ride it more this summer, but am so comfortable with my Agility i just always find myself on it when heading out

do you ever forget your first scooter or motorcycle? i am convinced i will always want and own an Agility 125. but it and the Buddy are the only scooters i have rode. and that new Fly 150 gives me a wandering eye

so my first scooter is my current scooter. its a blast. i hardly ever have to stop for traffic, or even slow down much sometimes. and thats in Los Angeles. so my first scooter joy is still with me and alive and kicking :D
Riding is riding
prrfan53

Post by prrfan53 »

First scoot (of seven) was an Allstate/ Vespa 125; 1959 in Alaska. Rode all over between Cleary Summit and the Alaska Range on the Richardson Hwy. By ARR to Anchorage and back over Taslina Pass, etc on July 4th weekend Froze my butt off. Hooray for taverns to warm up in. Worst event, save a blowout at 35mph of rear tire with a friend and a large Salmon, all of which landed on me, was getting a wild hair urge to ride down our local ski area's main slope (in summer) Tront wheel in 11" ditch and me over the handle bar due to sudden lose of forward motion while aimed straight down the hill. Owie.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I think I did my first scooter right: 1989 Honda Elite 50S (Honda Dio 50 for the rest of you out there). I bought it for $650 in PERFECT shape out of the Cycle Trader (Remember those?). I had been riding motorcycles for a bit as a kid, but at 20 I needed a college bike to get around and I was flat broke with no wheels at the time. I had just returned from an extended stay with family out of state and was getting back on my feet.

That scooter was perfect: Modable, easy to ride, cheap, reliable and not a bad looker! Slow as hell but who cares? It's a scooter!

Since then I've owned everything from smallframe vintage Vespas and Stellas to the top of the line Vespa GTS250ie and even a Harley. Right now I've focused on practicality in order to further my career which requires even more expensive tools and microphones, but that little Honda still makes me smile when I think about it. It was a damn good scooter that I should of never let go of.

"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

my first scooter was a french motobecane in the 70's.
cost me all of 5 bills
Disney

Post by Disney »

I got my first scooter (and 2 wheeler) in 2007. It was a Buddy 125 Italia.

Even though I never took a MSF class, I was pretty confident in my riding skills. I ride bicycles a lot so I "understood the physics of it". I'm not saying it was the wisest choice, but this was before I knew anything about the scooter world... Safety and so on.

I was comfortable with maneuvering and just the basic riding skills. The only thing that I really had to learn and get comfortable was being on a 2 wheeler at a higher speed and being way more aware of traffic. This was a whole new ball game. I had to realize I am not going through the city streets as a bicyclist but now as a motorized vehicle.

I'm not sure how true this saying is, but the salesperson said "the best scooter/motorcycle riders are bicyclist." I kind of believe that saying because riding (the scooter) came very very natural to me. I wasn't just riding my bike in the park on a nice day... I ride BMX and a lot through the city streets of NYC.

Being a big enthusiast of scooters now, I advise my friends to take the MSF class and so on.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Disney wrote:I got my first scooter (and 2 wheeler) in 2007. It was a Buddy 125 Italia.

Even though I never took a MSF class, I was pretty confident in my riding skills. I ride bicycles a lot so I "understood the physics of it". I'm not saying it was the wisest choice, but this was before I knew anything about the scooter world... Safety and so on.

I was comfortable with maneuvering and just the basic riding skills. The only thing that I really had to learn and get comfortable was being on a 2 wheeler at a higher speed and being way more aware of traffic. This was a whole new ball game. I had to realize I am not going through the city streets as a bicyclist but now as a motorized vehicle.

I'm not sure how true this saying is, but the salesperson said "the best scooter/motorcycle riders are bicyclist." I kind of believe that saying because riding (the scooter) came very very natural to me. I wasn't just riding my bike in the park on a nice day... I ride BMX and a lot through the city streets of NYC.

Being a big enthusiast of scooters now, I advise my friends to take the MSF class and so on.
I have to agree with this. Before I got my scooter, my daily commuter was a bicycle, and even though I'd never ridden a scooter before, it came very naturally for me. I took the course anyway (it's required here in OR), and I definitely learned some good info and techniques, and would always recommend taking it, but I do feel that having had a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation for years beforehand gave me somewhat of a head start.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Riding a bicycle for years was my only training for riding a scooter. Taking the MSF course might've been better, but I did alright.
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

My first bike was a Honda Trail 70 that I rode like a mad-man (okay, boy) at age 10. At 16, I went for the cage as a) it's a car, and I've got a license dammit!, and b) you can't rely on two-wheeled transportation when living in Wisconsin!

Flash forward 20 yrs to February of 2013 when my wife and I took a much-needed trip to St. Petersburg Beach and rented a couple of crappy scooters. I had so much fun riding again that I knew I needed to get me a bike. I did tons of research after I got back (and found this forum), spotted a great deal for a 2007 Buddy, and have been one happy dude since!