Need some tricks of the trade on public roads

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ethanh86

Need some tricks of the trade on public roads

Post by ethanh86 »

Hello all,

This will be my first post to the forum. I am looking forward to being a part of this community and hearing all of your ideas. About 7 months ago I bought a 2013 Honda Metropolitan 49CC sccoter. I know its not a buddy, but I read this forum regularly and this forum is 70x more active than the other one I am on. I figured the advice is universally anyway. Being in PA, I rode it all throught out October and November, but then took a little bit of a hiatus in the winter. I recently moved about ten miles up the road into a new house, and I am having some issues with riding the scooter. Where I used to live was sparsely populated with 35 MPH roads to town in which the town speed limit was 30MPH as well. It was perfect for the scooter. I never had issues staying with traffic. Now where I live is a densely populated town still North of philly. The speed limits in town are 30 as well which is ideal, but I really enjoy riding longer distances and backroads. I want to be able to take the scooter back and forth on the back roads from my old town to my new town as often as possible. I have looked, but most roads are 40-45 on the back ways and there is enough traffic that I find myself pulling over too much to let people pass me. There are times where I have a road to myself for two miles and others where I have someone right up my A** constantly. Riding during rush hour on these roads is out of the question so it limits my scooter usage which is really sad bc I love the thing. On a good day, I can get the scoot up to 34 MPH. I don't want to hinder traffic, but I want to ride. Getting a more powerful scooter is not an option.
To the forum, what tactics and tips do other low powered riders employ who are looking to traverse longer distances on roads that they cannot go the speed limit on? Its not like a bike on the road where people know they are going to pass you; I go 30-35 and have a license plate, so people don't always pass me thinking its illegal maybe, even when I am hugging the very outside of my lane. If people just drove around me I would be happy, but they dont
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

You could ride with your hazard lights on when driving on those roads. That might even be technically required on a vehicle that is not rated for the speed of that road. The hazards flashing, in addition to you hugging the shoulder, should be all anyone needs to realize that they can/should pass you.

If someone is really stupid and simply won't pass, just give them a wave to encourage it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The first thing I'd recommend is to make sure the scooter is derestricted. All 50cc-and-under scooters imported into the US are artificially restricted to keep them at 30mph and below, but most can get some additional speed with a little minor surgery. If you're only getting up to 34mph as indicated on the speedometer* that could mean yours is still restricted. Or it could just a reflection of the Metro's reputation as a not-very-speedy scooter. :) So you know: derestriction is usually a violation of the more lenient vehicle and operator licensing requirements for 50cc-and-under bikes, but it's also very commonly done.

There are sometimes other modifications that can be done to increase the speed of your scoot, but they all have some down-sides to them; derestricting has none (except the legal thing, which applies to all of them).

There may be some slower streets that go between Town A and Town B, but they aren't immediately obvious. Try going into Google Maps and ask for directions, but set it for bicycle or pedestrian routes. You need to be careful, because sometimes they direct you onto bicycle or walking paths, and it will still put you on 45mph roads as well. But since it knows you aren't in a hurry, it won't choose those just because they're "faster".

*Motorcycle speedos tend to be "optimistic", reporting that you're going faster than you really are.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I used to have a beautiful 2009 Graphite Honda Met - derestricted, rejetted and tuned. My experience was the same as yours. It was perfect for getting around the neighborhoods in Pasadena, but when I started riding it in Los Angeles it was pretty clear that a 50cc just wasn't going to cut it - even derestricted. (My opinion is similar about the Buddy 50).

The first thing you should do is sell the Met and get a 125. Resale on the Honda Mets (at least the old water-cooled ones) is pretty high. You could probably do a straight trade for a used Buddy 125 (figuratively) and maybe walk away with some cash in your pocket as well. In the end this will be the most straight forward and satisfactory approach.
Syd

Post by Syd »

You might find you need to take surface or residential streets to bypass those areas with higher speed limits. There must be smaller streets to take. Mustn't there? I could find them in Phoenix, there have to be some in PA too.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

I have a 125, but I plan my travel so that I'm not pedal to the metal and when someone is riding my A?? I pull over and let them pass. IMHO, life is too short, and riding my scoot is way too fun to let my ego get involved with cager cowboys. :!:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

TVB

Post by TVB »

While selling the Metro and replacing it with a bigger scoot might be the ultimate solution for your situation, it's still worthwhile looking into derestricting the Metro first, and seeing if that's enough.* It shouldn't cost much to have it done (or do yourself, if you're comfortable with a little dis/re-assembly of an engine) and being able to to tell potential buyers that "between you and me, it'll do about 40mph, instead of 30. ;)" will help sell it if you decide to take that route.

*I am semi-famous around here for believing that a derestricted 50cc is enough to get almost anywhere. See map. :)
Last edited by TVB on Fri May 24, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skipper20

Re: Need some tricks of the trade on public roads

Post by skipper20 »

ethanh86 wrote:Hello all,

This will be my first post to the forum. I am looking forward to being a part of this community and hearing all of your ideas. About 7 months ago I bought a 2013 Honda Metropolitan 49CC sccoter. I know its not a buddy, but I read this forum regularly and this forum is 70x more active than the other one I am on. I figured the advice is universally anyway. Being in PA, I rode it all throught out October and November, but then took a little bit of a hiatus in the winter. I recently moved about ten miles up the road into a new house, and I am having some issues with riding the scooter. Where I used to live was sparsely populated with 35 MPH roads to town in which the town speed limit was 30MPH as well. It was perfect for the scooter. I never had issues staying with traffic. Now where I live is a densely populated town still North of philly. The speed limits in town are 30 as well which is ideal, but I really enjoy riding longer distances and backroads. I want to be able to take the scooter back and forth on the back roads from my old town to my new town as often as possible. I have looked, but most roads are 40-45 on the back ways and there is enough traffic that I find myself pulling over too much to let people pass me. There are times where I have a road to myself for two miles and others where I have someone right up my A** constantly. Riding during rush hour on these roads is out of the question so it limits my scooter usage which is really sad bc I love the thing. On a good day, I can get the scoot up to 34 MPH. I don't want to hinder traffic, but I want to ride. Getting a more powerful scooter is not an option.
To the forum, what tactics and tips do other low powered riders employ who are looking to traverse longer distances on roads that they cannot go the speed limit on? Its not like a bike on the road where people know they are going to pass you; I go 30-35 and have a license plate, so people don't always pass me thinking its illegal maybe, even when I am hugging the very outside of my lane. If people just drove around me I would be happy, but they dont
You say you want to ride but getting a bigger scooter is not an option. OK, if that's because getting something bigger than 50cc will put you into the zone of having to take the riding test and get your MC endorsement and you don't want to do that I can totally relate to that. But you still want to be safe out there and if you're not totally married to the Metro, sell it and get a Aprilia SR50. Still considered, in most states anyway, a moped and not requiring an MC endorsement on your DL. But, wildly fast for a 50cc scooter and you'll be able to easily keep up with traffic and possibly exceed it at times. A much lower cost alternative is to keep the Metro and dress in the wildest colors you can imagine plus have one of those easily seen orange or yellow bike flags mounted on the back of your Metro flapping in the breeze. Have fun but be safe!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
iamryan25

Re: Need some tricks of the trade on public roads

Post by iamryan25 »

skipper20 wrote:plus have one of those easily seen orange or yellow bike flags mounted on the back of your Metro flapping in the breeze. Have fun but be safe!
This is NOT recommended. You would not want to be confused for a bicycle while riding in the lane with traffic. Those flags scream bicycle and can be more of a hazard than a helper on a scooter. Just my .02
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Christophers wrote:The first thing you should do is sell the Met and get a 125.
Reading your description of your riding experiences, I have to agree with Christopher. A Buddy 125 would solve most of your difficulties :wink: .
Snap

Post by Snap »

As soon as you feel competent with your riding abilities, find a way to move up to something with more power.
There's nothing more dangerous than not being able to motor out of danger.

Meanwhile, wear bright clothing and wear a bright or white helmet.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

"Getting a more powerful scooter is not an option."

Deleted other, much longer post because I know I've had a long week and am prone to TILT, but sheesh with the MOAR POWER!!!!! proselytizing. 50's are a-okay. My ultimate plan is to sell my 150 and revert BACK to owning only the 50 that I started out on.

ethan: Does the metro have the hazard light option? Our yamaha vino does not, is why I ask. If it does, super!

Hate to say my advice is not much more extensive than what you have already tried or what has already been mentioned. If you're not willing to pull over as often as seems necessary, the options do diminish quickly. Are you comfortable waving cars around when you're riding on the side of the road? (Check your local 'both hands on the bars' law). Do you know any 'maker geeks' who could rig up a scrolling LED message system with push-button activation (don't want to be telling someone to go around you at an intersection when you don't really mean it)?

Other than this, make friends with TVB. Good friends. Find out what kind of cookies he likes. Send them to him. And keep picking his brain.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Snap wrote:As soon as you feel competent with your riding abilities, find a way to move up to something with more power.
There's nothing more dangerous than not being able to motor out of danger.

Meanwhile, wear bright clothing and wear a bright or white helmet.
I agree fully. I have 250 scooters but I know my bikes limits and while freeway capable, I know I'm not safe on certain stretches of freeway where people are routinely going 90mph. So I just don't go there. I prefer to have a ride that keeps up with traffic (whether it's 35 mph or 85)... or I just find another route.